View Full Version : Freddie Mercury

kelroy55
11-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Hard to believe it's been 23 years since he died.

corwin1968
11-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Back in the late 80's, I read a biography of U2, called "Unforgettable Fire". It was written in between "The Joshua Tree" and "Rattle & Hum" and in the prologue the author discusses how Bono and U2 stole the show at the 1985 Live Aid concert. I had watched parts of Live Aid live but really didn't have any memory of it so when the DVD came out I bought it, largely to see the U2 performance. Bono and U2 were great but it was actually Freddie Mercury who stole that show!! Truly one of the greatest front men of all time.

Achilleslastand
11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Been a Queen fan since the later 70s and have to say he was one of the most talented frontmen I have ever seen. The guy actually had the musical chops to back up the image which is a rarity these days. His voice was beyond awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tDJXeUT2tg

Achilleslastand
11-24-2014, 01:23 PM
More awesomeness.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56QJaEbb3_4

harp23
11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Corwin, I am no Queen fan but I couldn't agree with you more. On that day/night Queen was great.

Jeepnokc
11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
This last summer I saw Queen with Adam Lambeth at the Boston Garden. During the show and especially during Bohemian Rhapsody, they would switch over to Freddie on this huge screen with the original band playing live on stage. It was very well synched, very well done and an amazing tribute to what a musical genius he was.

What is even sadder is that it has been 23 years and we still don't have a cure for AIDS.

corwin1968
11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
More awesomeness.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56QJaEbb3_4

Absolutely amazing!!!

I was familiar with Queen from their late 70's hits but somehow never heard this song until the 90's. A San Francisco power pop band called Jellyfish put out an amazing debut album called Bellybutton in 1990 and I was a huge fan for the short duration of the band. I was looking forward to a second album and one day when I was driving, Killer Queen came on the radio and I just knew I was hearing a new Jellyfish song!! I was actually disappointed to find out it was Queen! Jellyfish did list Queen, along with the Beatles, Badfinger and Supertramp as major inspirations.

It's also interesting to hear what the members of Queen were doing before they were members of Queen. Their talents extend far beyond music.

OkieHornet
11-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Hopefully you were lucky enough to see Queen when they played OKC in 74, 80, and 82.

MadMonk
11-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Wow, it doesn't seem so long ago. Just missed seeing their show in '82. I couldn't scrape up the measly $15 to go (and my parents didn't want me to anyway). Missing that show as well as The Who were my greatest missed-concert regrets of that decade.

TheTravellers
11-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Lucky enough to see them in 82 here, with Billy Squier opening, wow, one of probably the 10 best shows I've seen.

Brian May's career before and after Queen is probably the most unlikely rock star alternate life out there: Astrophysicist and Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University (until 2013).

Dubya61
11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
It's also interesting to hear what the members of Queen were doing before they were members of Queen. Their talents extend far beyond music.

Casey Kasem once stated they were the best educated rock band ever.