View Full Version : Did Kanye West just say?

ibda12u
09-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I was watching this Hurrican relief concert, and they paired up Mike Meyes, and Kayne West, I guess to show the white and black emotions with things going on, and when it came Kanye West's time to speak, he went off on a rampage, about how the blacks were being called looters while the whites weren't and also some things about our military fighting oversea's, and now they were called here to shoot black people. Mike Meyer's said something, and then Kanye West finished off by saying President Bush doesn't like Black People. (NBC then immediatly cut to a shocked and suprised Chris Tucker, who obviously didn't agree with what Kanye said.)

Did anyone else see this? I can't believe he chose to use a benefit concert to help those in New Orleans as an opportunity to attack Bush, the war, as well as hit on such a sensitive topic as that. I can't believe it.

Karried
09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
My God! I had just changed the channel and thought, what is this - a comedy routine or something and then I just heard him say "Bush doesn't like black people "

... I was thinking, what just happened. I turned to CNN to see if they are covering it -

How horrible - that probably won't help the cause to get much needed monetary relief. What a mess.

sweetdaisy
09-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Yikes. I can't believe he said that, but I heard it too. I noticed NBC was quick to issue a disclaimer saying those were the opinions of one person. I really hope it doesn't hinder the relief effort, though.

Because I have no idea how to establish a Poll in the Poll Vault, I will ask here: do you think the delayed response is any way race-related? I would like to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Personally, I PRAY it is not so, but have a fear it is. :(

On an aside note, it pains me to read about opinions from across the world. People from the areas hit by the tsunami last December are talking about how uncivilized we are due to the few crazies who are hampering relief efforts. That's quite a bummer.

PUGalicious
09-03-2005, 05:53 AM
On an aside note, it pains me to read about opinions from across the world. People from the areas hit by the tsunami last December are talking about how uncivilized we are due to the few crazies who are hampering relief efforts. That's quite a bummer.
From the articles I have been reading, especially international news sources, much of the negative reaction has focused on how shocked people were that the grand superpower of the world could not effectively take care of its own people, leaving thousands stranded for days and allowing the situation to degenerate to chaos and anarchy in a major American city. Many people around the world have made direct comparisons between what is going on in New Orleans with has been going on Baghdad. Imagine from an outsiders perspective to see images of military equipment and armed soldiers patrolling an American city in much the same way (from their viewpoint) that our soldiers are patrolling in Iraq.

It's definitely not been a banner week for America. Not only have the images and stories been overwhelmingly tragic, it's also been another blow to the world's image of America.

As far as Kanye West, whether or not his comments are fair, it's unfortunate that he chose that forum to convey them. I too hope that it doesn't hurt donations, but I would equally hope that people would be big enough to look past that to see that the need outweighs the politics.

Kanye West's comments reflect a growing sentiment around the country, one based more on how things have transpired than simply by politics. It's a question that I believe this country should honestly address. In any case, race-related or not, there needs to be a comprehensive analysis on why the relief effort was so painfully slow.

sweetdaisy
09-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Right on, Scribe. I've read the same types of stories from around the globe. We look pathetic. :( And, in all actuality, our response to our people's desperation has been pathetic.

Didaskalos
09-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Right on, Scribe. I've read the same types of stories from around the globe. We look pathetic. :( And, in all actuality, our response to our people's desperation has been pathetic.
It has been very heartening through this situation to see individual's responses to the disaster. No matter what politician or individual tries to spin their own perspective or agenda using this situation as their opportunity, what I see around me is the kind of reaction I always hope exists in humanity. To see people in need and to give of oneself is so heartening.

The response from Houston alone has been amazing... nearly everyone I know is trying to figure out how to get involved and help. Just yesterday, my sons (7 years old) were trying to figure out what they can do to help. They dug through their clothes to give of what they have and sat both my wife and I down to know what else we could do. I explained that we will do all we can to provide money to the organizations that are "on the front lines" but that wasn't good enough (for even 7 year olds). They wanted to be involved. I couldn't have been prouder.

You can drive around Houston and so many businesses are offering whatever they can to help. People are opening their homes to complete strangers. The news last night showed that that the convention center and Astrodome had more than enough volunteers. The devastation in the news is almost unbearable to watch but I can say that watching the response in Houston is overwhelming as well.

I think this shows the potential of compassion (which is often lacking in America). This week, Americans have stepped up and provided their money, time and prayers. I wish some of the efforts of the individuals who don't "have" to be involved was getting more air time so the world can see the character of some of America's citizenry.

Jeremiah 22:16 "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" declares the LORD.