View Full Version : Good Bars

Pages : 1 [2]

ctchandler
01-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Well, I have been here for about two weeks and have tried beer at three places. Old Chicago, typical with a nice selection of craft beer, S&B's Burger Joint, a good selection of craft beer, The Rib Crib (went with family for lunch) and had a sour Sam Adams which after two swallows I gave it back to them. They apologized and replaced it with a bottle of Sam Adams. It happens and besides, I didn't really go there for the beer. And today, I went to Cheddar's. Disappointing selection of draft beer. They had three, Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams. The bar tender said they are going to expand the draft selection. But I had two Large (23 ounce) Sam Adams and spent $12.45 (before tip) and the same beer at Old Chicago in a 20 ounce mug cost over $20 for two of them before tip. If they do expand, it will be my go to place. I need to try Chili's, and return to The Garage. I like The Garage, but I don't remember their selection. I've only been to one of their places a couple of times.

Stew
01-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Well, I have been here for about two weeks and have tried beer at three places. Old Chicago, typical with a nice selection of craft beer, S&B's Burger Joint, a good selection of craft beer, The Rib Crib (went with family for lunch) and had a sour Sam Adams which after two swallows I gave it back to them. They apologized and replaced it with a bottle of Sam Adams. It happens and besides, I didn't really go there for the beer. And today, I went to Cheddar's. Disappointing selection of draft beer. They had three, Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams. The bar tender said they are going to expand the draft selection. But I had two Large (23 ounce) Sam Adams and spent $12.45 (before tip) and the same beer at Old Chicago in a 20 ounce mug cost over $20 for two of them before tip. If they do expand, it will be my go to place. I need to try Chili's, and return to The Garage. I like The Garage, but I don't remember their selection. I've only been to one of their places a couple of times.

There's a pizza place (me pizza or something like that) by teds on sooner and I-40 that serves four different (rotating) craft beers on tap. Mostly local stuff. The pizza is pretty good as well. I forget the prices.

ctchandler
01-23-2016, 10:23 AM
I have been living in the Mid-Del area now for almost a month and I have tried most of the bars I felt would be good for me. The one exception, I didn't try Chequers because they didn't have scooter access to the bar and it was really a small place to motivate on my scooter. My opinion, for craft beer (draft) selection, Old Chicago was the best with The Garage second. BWW, Henry Hudson's, and S&B were all fair. Cheddar's only had Sam Adam's, but it was really cheap for a 23 ounce glass. That's it so far. I haven't tried Chili's, no reason, just haven't been there yet. By the way, any of you Mid-Del folks remember "Lefty's"?
C. T.

ctchandler
01-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Today I stopped by the new Bamboo Room at 800 S. Air Depot. They had four draft beers, two "domestic" and Shock Top and Pacifico. Not great, but Shock top was decent and the price is great, $2 for a 16 ounce beer. A little smoky even though I enjoy second hand smoke, but I will probably go back. Not a "Nice" place, kind of a dive but quiet enough and friendly. The bartender is about to pop, probably only a month to go.
C. T.

woodyrr
02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
. . . . . . snip
By the way, any of you Mid-Del folks remember "Lefty's"?
C. T.

If you're talking about Lefty's Cafe at SE 29th and Vickie, I do. I worked for a guy that lived in Del City and we ate lunch there once in a while.

ctchandler
02-02-2016, 03:12 PM
. . . . . . snip

If you're talking about Lefty's Cafe at SE 29th and Vickie, I do. I worked for a guy that lived in Del City and we ate lunch there once in a while.

Actually, I'm thinking of a bar, maybe I have forgotten the name, I don't think it was Lefty's Cafe. It's been a long time, late 60's and I think it closed in the early to mid 70's.
C. T.

Lauri101
02-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Belated welcome to MWC, C.T.!
Lived in original square mile for 32 years - it's the metro area's best kept secret on a great place to live.

ctchandler
02-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Belated welcome to MWC, C.T.!
Lived in original square mile for 32 years - it's the metro area's best kept secret on a great place to live.

Lauri,
Thanks, so, what are the boundaries of the "original square mile"?
C. T.

Jeepnokc
02-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Lauri,
C. T.

I am sure Ill be corrected if wrong but I have always understood the original square mile to be 29th to 15th and Air Depot to Midwest Blvd. I lived on Myrtle Lane all during high school

Lauri101
03-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Lauri,
C. T.

C.T. - OSM bordered by Air Depot on west, Midwest Blvd on east, SE 15 and SE 29 on north and south, respectively. It's a nice little neighborhood, with confusing streets to outsiders or new residents. My only beef is no sidewalks, but other than that, it reminds me of "the good old days"!

ctchandler
03-02-2016, 06:25 PM
C.T. - OSM bordered by Air Depot on west, Midwest Blvd on east, SE 15 and SE 29 on north and south, respectively. It's a nice little neighborhood, with confusing streets to outsiders or new residents. My only beef is no sidewalks, but other than that, it reminds me of "the good old days"!

Lauri,
Thanks, I have to admit I hate the naming of the streets. As friendly as it might seem, it is totally baffling to anyone not raised in the area.
C. T.

ctchandler
03-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Today's DOK has a good article regarding the "Original Mile". This is the first part of the article.
C. T.

MIDWEST CITY — Efforts to revitalize Midwest City’s Original Mile continue, and an advisory committee has been established to help direct future projects.

The Original Mile, bounded by Air Depot Boulevard, Midwest Boulevard, SE 15 and SE 29, was created in the early 1940s to serve the newly formed Tinker Air Force Base with housing for military families.

Lauri101
03-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Today's DOK has a good article regarding the "Original Mile". This is the first part of the article.
C. T.

It was a nice, fluffy article with little information, as usual. Since this so-called revitalization began, there have been no opportunities for any residents (other than the 4 people on the committee) to weigh in. The ideas presented so far say nothing about much needed sidewalks or street widening. A park will be nice, but really unnecessary if they would just clean up and refresh existing green space.

Once the new mayor, Matt Dukes, gets in office, I'm going to hit him up for better communication about the various OSM projects. I'm excited to have Matt as our new mayor - we can definitely raise the bar in MWC!

doufan
03-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I currently live in the square mile. My grandparents moved here with my mom in the late 50s and have lived here since. Amen on the sidewalks. I wouldn't mind at all if they just spend all the money on sidewalks and nothing else.

ctchandler
03-27-2016, 09:24 PM
I looked up the "Your Pie" place over on Main and they talk about being craft beer oriented and local craft beer particularly, has anybody been there?
C. T.

ctchandler
03-28-2016, 08:44 PM
I went to Your Pie today and they had ten draft beers, no Bud or Coors, they had eight craft beers, at least five were from Oklahoma, plus Smithwicks and Crossbow cider left over from St. Patricks day. That's the good news, the bad news, their bar left a lot to be desired. It seats five. But, go there for pizza and order a craft beer from your table. I think you will enjoy it.
C. T.

doufan
03-30-2016, 04:49 PM
I went to Your Pie today and they had ten draft beers, no Bud or Coors, they had eight craft beers, at least five were from Oklahoma, plus Smithwicks and Crossbow cider left over from St. Patricks day. That's the good news, the bad news, their bar left a lot to be desired. It seats five. But, go there for pizza and order a craft beer from your table. I think you will enjoy it.
C. T.

I will have to try this place! From looking at the pictures on Yelp, there also seems to be local wines that the missus can enjoy as well. Thanks for the heads up!

ctchandler
03-30-2016, 05:52 PM
I will have to try this place! From looking at the pictures on Yelp, there also seems to be local wines that the missus can enjoy as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Doufan,
You are correct, I'm sorry I didn't mention it. I don't know the numbers, but there are several local wines. If you have the pizza, let us know what you think. I will probably try it in a week or two, so I will give my opinion.
C. T.

doufan
04-05-2016, 12:08 PM
I went to Your Pie last Friday. I was surprised to find my favorite local beer (Mustang's Udderly Awesome Peanut Butter Stout) on tap there. The only other place I could find it was at McNellie's, which is known for their selection of beers on tap. I'll probably be stopping here often just to enjoy a brew. The pizza was very good. You basically build the pizza to your taste and they fire it an a brick oven. They also have gluten free pizza. The place is a organic lover's/vegetarian's paradise. But it can be unhealthy if that's what you prefer.

The gelato Ice cream (is it ice cream?) was good as well.

I would recommend this place to anyone.

They do have a selection of local wines to choose from. Sparks was one of the wineries they had. I can't remember the other. They had beers from Coop, Roughtail, and Mustang and others. I hope this place does well so some of the local dives will start carrying some craft beer.

ctchandler
04-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Well, I tried the pizza this week. The only problem was, people that were behind me were eating and I still didn't have my pizza and none of the waitstaff came anywhere near the bar so I just waited. The owner walked in and recognized me and asked so I told him that I thought they had forgotten my pizza. He went over to the oven and came back with a cold pizza and told me they had lost the ticket and didn't know who it belonged to (why didn't they just look around?). I told him it was cold and asked them to put it back in the oven. Surprisingly, it tasted very good. I didn't expect that, I thought it might be like leftover pizza at home, but it was good. I then ordered another Roughtail and he said "This one's on me" as an apology for the service. I turned him down and said it all turned out fine. So, a glitch, they happen and I will go back. They do need to have somebody checking with customers to see if everything is ok, but especially at the bar.
C. T.