View Full Version : Request for Information/Understanding, Real Estate

RadicalModerate
11-20-2014, 01:49 PM
I "own" 20 acres out in the Boonies (except for taxes which sort of qualify the concept of "ownership.")

The land has never been developed since I purchased it back in the '70's on account of I had the cash at the time and they aren't making new land as compared to banks. Plus there is a pond on it. In the past (c. a couple of decades ago), A "BIG OIL" COMPANY paid me the cost of the property to drill a gas well and use water from the pond to do so. Later, they hauled away all of their infrastructure on one tiny corner of the property and left it virtually undisturbed.

Note that there was evidence of previous BIG OIL activities of the past (c. the '50s or '40s) when I bought the property and there was some related activity across the dirt road on the west side.

The other day, I got a call from a representative of a company wanting to "Conduct Geophysical Operations" (apparently seismic?) on the property. They need a permit with my authorization even though I have no mineral rights to the land.

They are willing to pay a microscopic sum for my permission to do so.

The Question(s):
1) What are Geophysical Operations?
2) How likely is it that I, or the pond on the property, am/are getting screwed somehow?

stick47
11-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Saw a similar post. I'll send you a PM when I locate it on another forum.

RadicalModerate
11-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks, again.
I think that when I return that phone call I will say something like . . .
"Put a couple more zeros, on the left side of the decimal, behind the number you mentioned, in writing, and we may have a deal." =)

Again, thanks.

Just the facts
11-20-2014, 04:16 PM
1) What are Geophysical Operations?
2) How likely is it that I, or the pond on the property, am/are getting screwed somehow?

1) If that is code for potential fracking wastewater injection site then the answer to #2 is Very.

kevinpate
11-20-2014, 06:36 PM
RM,

sesmic crew needs to cross your surface as part of their underground mapping program.

The offer to you is for permission to cross the surface as you have no minerals per your note.

Generally, surface crossing is offered at cheap rates, and they shouldn't have a physical presence on your land for very long at all, but more than one pass through is assured. Make sure any agreement you do is in writing and holds them responsible for damages, fences, surface damage, including your pond, etc. Also make sure they do not decide to just cross sans permission. It has been known to happen if the permitter is not above board

I did some time with a doodlebug crew in the early 80's. Indeed, it was a bitterly cold Texas panhandle winter day that changed my life direction. Stepping off into a snow covered hole is what made me realize my Pops was smarter than I had given him credit for and maybe there was something after all to that notion of his of me going back to college being a right fair idea.

I enjoyed my time on the crew. Long hours, but outdoor work and the view always changing. When I first hired on in SE OK, I thought they were nuts. The notion that someone was willing to pay me to spend all day out in the hills and valleys of God's country was like a dream come true. It just wasn't the right life to continue long term after I was married, though it fed us well that first year.

PhiAlpha
11-20-2014, 06:40 PM
1) If that is code for potential fracking wastewater injection site then the answer to #2 is Very.

No it is not. And it's just wastewater disposal...not fracking wastewater disposal.

PhiAlpha
11-20-2014, 06:43 PM
RM,

sesmic crew needs to cross your surface as part of their underground mapping program.

The offer to you is for permission to cross the surface as you have no minerals per your note.

Generally, surface crossing is offered at cheap rates, and they shouldn't have a physical presence on your land for very long at all, but more than one pass through is assured. Make sure any agreement you do is in writing and holds them responsible for damages, fences, surface damage, including your pond, etc. Also make sure they do not decide to just cross sans permission. It has been known to happen if the permitter is not above board

I did some time with a doodlebug crew in the early 80's. Indeed, it was a bitterly cold Texas panhandle winter day that changed my life direction. Stepping off into a snow covered hole is what made me realize my Pops was smarter than I had given him credit for and maybe there was something after all to that notion of his of me going back to college being a right fair idea.

I enjoyed my time on the crew. Long hours, but outdoor work and the view always changing. When I first hired on in SE OK, I thought they were nuts. The notion that someone was willing to pay me to spend all day out in the hills and valleys of God's country was like a dream come true. It just wasn't the right life to continue long term after I was married, though it fed us well that first year.

Second what Kevin said. Just make sure you read your agreement. You can ask for more money, but usually they don't offer much for seismic permits since the disturbance is pretty minimal.

RadicalModerate
11-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Thank you, one and all.
I know a lot more about this subject than I did this morning.
(which is fairly easy, because this morning I knew nothing at all. =)

mkjeeves
11-20-2014, 09:35 PM
You might take a tour around Mineral Rights Forum .com and/or post some questions. I've found it helpful for various answers. They do discuss surface issues sometimes. Laws vary from state to state so not everything applies but there are groups by state and county if you want to try to figure out what's going on in your area. Here's a thread with someone asking some questions on that topic.

request for 3-D survey received - Mineral Rights Forum (http://www.mineralrightsforum.com/forum/topics/request-for-3-d-survey-received?commentId=4401368%3AComment%3A267195)