View Full Version : Oklahoma Shelters for Katrina

brianinok
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Why hasn't Oklahoma offered to set up any major shelters? The Astrodome is full; Dallas and San Antonio already have thousands. Plus, there are still about 20,000 at the NO Convention Center and 30,000 at the Superdome. I know things are going on at the Ford Center and Cox Center, but what about the fairgrounds?

Karried
09-02-2005, 08:31 AM
The state fair is coming up Sept. 15 ..... I heard the campgrounds/lodges might be opened up - but who knows?

PUGalicious
09-02-2005, 08:38 AM
what about all the mega-churches in Oklahoma City, and other cities for that matter? ... if we call ourselves Christians, shouldn't we be doing everything we can, including opening up our church buildings for shelter and feeding these American refugees?

Intrepid
09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
what about all the mega-churches in Oklahoma City, and other cities for that matter? ... if we call ourselves Christians, shouldn't we be doing everything we can, including opening up our church buildings for shelter and feeding these American refugees?

Amen!

brianinok
09-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Ah, I forgot about the state fair coming up. Well, I guess we can take the Hornets for them! They state lodges are a good idea-- they're usually not too busy.

mranderson
09-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Here is an idea. Cancel the fair and let the people stay there. The fair is lame and not worth the money anyway.

karlanee
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
I have been wondering why Lakewood Church in Houston hasn't offered their building yet. After all, they are in the former Compaq Center. But I guess a $90 million dollar building is more important than a bunch of hungry, tired, weary travelers. I hope they do more than raise money and donate supplies.

Matthew 25:40 says that whatever you do unto the least of these you do unto Me.

I did hear positively that there are churches in Houston and Baton Rouge that are starting to open their buildings for refugees - among them Bethany World Prayer Center.

I hope as Oklahomans we really shine and open our hearts, minds, buildings and pocketbooks the way we typically do.

poe
09-02-2005, 08:41 PM
the amarillo civic center is about to become home to some of the people. i'm not sure when they're supposed to arrive, but the news said as soon as possible. kind of interesting...

Patrick
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I think the opening of Falls Creek to 3,000 refugees shows the heart of Oklahoma Baptists.

HOT ROD
09-10-2005, 01:13 AM

Here here.