View Full Version : 401(K) / IRA Performance

bombermwc
11-14-2014, 07:27 AM
WHen I changed jobs, I had to move my previous 401k dollars into an IRA because my new employer didn't offer a 401k. Because of this, I've been more conscious of the performance of the plan, mostly because when that quarterly admin fee comes around, I am getting really annoyed about paying for something that's not performing. So that leads me to a few questions id like to crowd source:

*I'm in a semi-aggressive strategy at the moment so I'm expecting some fluxuation, however I'm at a -1.5% over the last 6 months. That means it's now worth less than when I started, even after 2 quarters of admin fees and 6 months of paycheck contributions. How incredible frustrating is it to see money go in and then immediately see that it's worth less than the value it was 5 seconds ago. I'd be earning more on a CD!!!

*I seem to have a mix of some bonds and stocks. The stocks look to be mostly in the tech sector (google/apple/amazon/etc) and several other mixes. I'm using Fidelity funds so I'm allowing them to chose things for me and manage deal changes.

So now the questions....
1 - Anyone else seeing similar poor performance in this sector or am I the lucky one?
2 - Anyone else with Fiedlity seeing poor performance in general?
3 - I thought with Wall Street hitting these records numbers, we would see better performance from stock funds, not worse???????

I'm no financial genius, but I feel like if I had the time, I'd be a day/week trader. All this long term stuff drives me bonkers. I lost 50% of the 401k's value in the crash and it's more than recovered (and I expect before I retire....if I retire....that it will crash at least twice again).

kelroy55
11-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I usually check my performance (retirement not the other kind) every 3-6 months. If the stock plan I have hasn't done well I look at other plans that have and switch. If it's just a minor dip I don't get as worried or if there's another that doing very well I may decide to change due to that.

HangryHippo
11-14-2014, 08:32 AM
WHen I changed jobs, I had to move my previous 401k dollars into an IRA because my new employer didn't offer a 401k. Because of this, I've been more conscious of the performance of the plan, mostly because when that quarterly admin fee comes around, I am getting really annoyed about paying for something that's not performing. So that leads me to a few questions id like to crowd source:

*I'm in a semi-aggressive strategy at the moment so I'm expecting some fluxuation, however I'm at a -1.5% over the last 6 months. That means it's now worth less than when I started, even after 2 quarters of admin fees and 6 months of paycheck contributions. How incredible frustrating is it to see money go in and then immediately see that it's worth less than the value it was 5 seconds ago. I'd be earning more on a CD!!!

*I seem to have a mix of some bonds and stocks. The stocks look to be mostly in the tech sector (google/apple/amazon/etc) and several other mixes. I'm using Fidelity funds so I'm allowing them to chose things for me and manage deal changes.

So now the questions....
1 - Anyone else seeing similar poor performance in this sector or am I the lucky one?
3 - I thought with Wall Street hitting these records numbers, we would see better performance from stock funds, not worse???????

I'm no financial genius, but I feel like if I had the time, I'd be a day/week trader. All this long term stuff drives me bonkers. I lost 50% of the 401k's value in the crash and it's more than recovered (and I expect before I retire....if I retire....that it will crash at least twice again).

I've experienced the same poor performance with Fidelity in general. I need a new strategy.

kelroy55
11-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I've experienced the same poor performance with Fidelity in general. I need a new strategy.

My company uses TRow Price to manage our 401K's , I know the OP was talking about IRA's, and they seem to be doing a decent job.

Chadanth
11-14-2014, 09:23 AM

So now the questions....

Honestly, as a guy who used to be a broker, just pick low-cost ETF's or Index funds. There are a couple tech-focused ETF's out there, and you'll pay very little in internal costs, and they have low trading costs. Most of your stock allocation should go into a S&P 500 ETF or Vanguard fund. Keeping costs down is essential in the long run. The vast majority of individual investors, institutional investors and brokers DO NOT beat the market, so the market return, net of fees is generally the best you're going to do. Dividend-focused funds/stocks tend to hold up well in sideways or down markets also.

What is your stock/fixed income allocation and your age?

adaniel
11-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Your frustration is understandable given that the DJIA is up about 7% in the past 6 months.

With that in mind, I have Fidelity for my 401K at my current job and a simple IRA from my previous employer (which I am holding off rolling over for tax purposes) and its in line with the return average. Nothing spectacular but nothing to get worried over. And its exceeding returns from the small ROTH IRA that I have with someone else.

FWIW I am invested pretty aggressively, although full disclosure--my portfolio is heavily in energy so I am dreading my next statements in January. You might want to reevaluate what industries or stocks your portfolio but I would wait at least a year before doing so.

I seem to remember you alluding that you were pretty young. If this is the case then I wouldn't freak out about it too much. Its going to go up and down through your life. I am not familiar with all types of IRA's but if it is availalbe for you, make sure you are dollar cost averaging. Also, look into paring back how much in bonds you are. If you are young you can stomach some risk. Plus, bond yields will go down when interest rates rise, which is almost certainly going to happen in the next year or so.

kelroy55
11-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reminder about this. I realized I haven't gone in and looked at mine for quite a while and I switched a couple around.

ctchandler
11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Bombermwc,
I have a financial advisor and he has been handling my funds since May, 2004. I am set up for a monthly withdrawal (paycheck) and have been for 126 months and I have a little more money today than when I retired and turned my funds over to the financial advisor. And over that time the fee has been 1 percent per year. From May 2nd till November 7th, I have a 2.5 percent gain. Considering my age, 71 my risk tolerance isn't what it used to be but even after the 2008 recession, I'm still doing fairly well. Also, I have a 5 percent return since January 3rd. We did have some pretty bad days and there were four months out of the last eleven that I dropped in value and one where I broke even.
C. T.

Midtowner
11-14-2014, 11:59 AM
I've focused on dividend stocks rather than fast growth.

It seems to do okay. I'm with Edward Jones.

catch22
11-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Hewitt manages mine thru my company. 4.35% YTD return on my 401k.

sooner88
11-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Fidelity offers a lot of different options. You have the ability to select multiple funds based on your personal strategy and allocate to those funds accordingly. There are obviously many factors that will effect what strategy you choose. Age and appetite for risk are two of the biggest factors that come into play. I have a mix, but I keep roughly 40% in a steady growth fund filled with blue chip stocks, while the remaining 60% is in a high growth fund with stocks spread throughout various high growth sectors. 9.56% YTD return. The market has done really well this year which did help, especially in the high growth sector.