View Full Version : NBA for OKC- Hornets Relocating

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 05:14 PM
And while Shinn has repeatedly said he remains committed to play in New Orleans beyond this truncated season, officials in Oklahoma are seizing the opportunity to make the Hornets’ temporary relocation permanent.

One state legislator, according to The Daily Oklahoman newspaper, has filed a bill aimed at the state picking up relocation costs if the team decided to move there next season.
Oklahoma House Bill 2061, filed by Rep. Joe Dorman, D-Rush, calls for the state to absorb relocation costs should the Hornets seek to move to Oklahoma City.

"Even by a conservative fiscal estimate," Dorman told the newspaper, "Oklahoma would receive a $9 million boost to our economy if the Hornets move here, even if it's only for a year. We will get new revenue from hotels, restaurants, concession sales and from new payroll. If we can spend a little to make a lot more, I want to make sure we do everything possible to get the Hornets here."

It concerns me that this is being percieved this way by outside media, especially the Baton Rouge paper. I'm pretty sure Dorman is creating this legislation to help with the temporary relocation, not only if the move is permanent, but they are already construing this as us trying to keep the team from returning to NO. This is not good.

BDP
09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
It's kind of been reported both ways. I think the legislator may not have made the intent of his bill clear and I have not read a report that seemed to have actually sourced the bill itself.

But it is important to note how one misinterpreted move can in fact trump the goodwill created by several well intentioned actions.

John
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
If you take a step back and just look at the situation, we're just helping a business temporarily relocate. It just so happens that this business is a high profile one, the New Orleans Hornets.

Our city and state leaders are doing everything they can to roll out the welcome mats and make this a smooth transition. Be it in incentives, relocation costs, tax breaks, whatever they may be, it shows a strong and cooperative business environment.

If those from Louisiana see this as us being greedy, so be it. The League and George Shinn are making the final calls. Oklahoma City isn't stealing anything, just giving an opportunity for a business to have a temporary shelter. That's all. I hope the team plays some games in Baton Rouge, so the evacuees from New Orleans can see their team.

That being said, it is a great chance for Oklahoma City and Oklahomans to show their support not only for the New Orleans Hornets, but for our city and state.

Go Hornets!

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree with you, John. I don't think we are being greedy or trying to steal the team, but I'm afraid it's being seen that way.

floater
09-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I think city officials need to convey that we see ourselves as a temporary home -- although in reality it's an audition.

mranderson
09-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I think city officials need to convey that we see ourselves as a temporary home -- although in reality it's an audition.

I really see no reason to convey anything except our monetary support for the team. We are not "stealing" anything. If this move turns permanant, it is because the ownership wants the move. All we did is earn it.

Karried
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
It concerns me that this is being percieved this way by outside media, especially the Baton Rouge paper. I'm pretty sure Dorman is creating this legislation to help with the temporary relocation, not only if the move is permanent, but they are already construing this as us trying to keep the team from returning to NO. This is not good.

I agree with you 100%. This is not good. The last thing our state needs is another negative perception. Where did you see this article - can you post the url or link to it please?

Karried
09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
NBA`S HORNETS MAY MOVE TO OKC TEMPORAIRILY
Monday, September 19, 2005

Oklahoma City council members will have the New Orleans Hornets on the agenda for Wednesday`s scheduled council session. The council is expected to approve a deal that would bring the NBA team to Oklahoma City, temporarily. The Hornets and the NBA will make some type of official announcement later today as to where the team will play this season. Some of the games will be in Louisiana, but most of the 41 home games probably will be played at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

gqofoklahoma
09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I really see no reason to convey anything except our monetary support for the team. We are not "stealing" anything. If this move turns permanant, it is because the ownership wants the move. All we did is earn it.

Thats exactly my point as well....it will only turn permanant if "OWNERSHIP"...I repeat "OWNERSHIP" wants the move. It has nothing to do with how much support we show or how much money we throw out.

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree with you 100%. This is not good. The last thing our state needs is another negative perception. Where did you see this article - can you post the url or link to it please?

Karried, the full article is a little further back in this thread. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's from the Baton Rouge Times-Picayune.

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 09:15 PM
What should we think of this article from newsday.com?

AROUND THE HORN

Barbara Barker, The Associated Press

September 18, 2005

OK puts move on Hornets

The Oklahoma Hornets? With the start of training camp a little more than two weeks away, the Hornets still don't have a home arena.

NBA and team officials have been touring various sites and expect to make a decision by later this week, according to spokesman Mark Broussard. The Hornets' regular home, New Orleans Arena, isn't habitable because of Hurricane Katrina and the flood that followed. The list of possible replacement arenas includes LSU's Pete Maravich Assembly Center, Baton Rouge River Center, Ford Arena in Oklahoma City and Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

Oklahoma City has been putting on a fullcourt press to land the team. Last week, the Daily Oklahoman ran a feature article entitled "Meet the Hornets" and on Friday, Mayor Mick Cornett led NBA officials for a tour of Ford Center.

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 09:20 PM
A pretty positive commentary from the San Antonio paper.

Mike Monroe: Oklahoma City still Hornets' best shot
Web Posted: 09/18/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

You don't need a magnifying glass to read between George Shinn's lines and know the Hornets' owner prefers to wait for the 2006-07 season before taking his team back to New Orleans.

While the NFL's Saints had to find a temporary home immediately after New Orleans was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina, the NBA's Hornets at least have had a few weeks to consider their options.

Until last week, returning this season to play games at New Orleans Arena hadn't seemed like one of them.

But that was before reports indicated New Orleans Arena had sustained only minor damage and may be ready for the Hornets to return after the NBA's All-Star Weekend, scheduled for Feb. 17-19 in Houston.

For the past couple of weeks the Hornets have been focused on moving their games to Oklahoma City and Baton Rouge, most likely splitting them between the two cities.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune's Jimmy Smith, doing a remarkable job of reporting on the Hornets under adverse conditions, wrote recently the NBA was filing a "mostly favorable" report on LSU's Maravich Center as a possible site to host up to a dozen Hornets games.

Nobody at the NBA will say so on the record, but there also are doubts in the league office that Baton Rouge, especially after having been so focused on providing safe haven for Katrina evacuees, has the necessary infrastructure to host regular-season NBA games.

Oklahoma City's Ford Center has all the open dates the Hornets require and the city has acknowledged it needs to make the Hornets a deal for housing, office space and arena cost that proves its willingness to "share the risk" of locating in a city that never has had a major-league sports franchise.

So if you had been handicapping where the Hornets are going to base their operations this season, you could have penciled in Oklahoma City as that team's version of what San Antonio has become for the Saints.

Now, though, the prospect of the Saints returning to New Orleans this season has been raised.

Shinn, though, stopped far short of endorsing a return there this season when the Times-Picayune's Smith asked him about it during a visit Shinn, along with several Hornets players, made to evacuee shelters in Baton Rouge.

"Playing in the (New Orleans) Arena has good and bad possibilities," Shinn told Smith. "If we could do it in a way that we'd have a full crowd, it would be ecstatic. If we have 1,500 people, it would be horrible. That might send a signal there was no hope there."

Shinn's statement, standing alone, hardly qualifies as hopeful.

Karried
09-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Good news - Oklahoma is actually being considered for something big - a pro team - albeit temporarily

Bad news - It had to happen because of a national tragedy and now we look bad for possibly taking advantage of a horrible situation

Some days I feel we just can't win!

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 09:58 PM
I think most of the national media will not take that stance. I honestly think there may be some anger in Baton Rouge though that we have taken away their chance to have the team there for all home games. I just don't see how that's logistically or financially possible.

Luke
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I think some of this is being blown out of proportion. If Kansas City offered the same package OKC offered to the Hornets, I'll bet the same people accusing us of stealing a team would be complaining "why didn't WE offer a package?!" It's the Oklahoma-think mentality. We aren't as good and anything we do isn't as good as it could be. It's like a pity party.

Sure, "stealing" the Hornets is one way of looking at it.

Offering a business, as someone else mentioned, a place to move in order to help them get back on their feet is, in my opinion, a charitable thing to do. And if Hornet ownership sees New Orleans as a non-viable market AND OKC shows enough support, it's not a BAD THING for the owners to consider a move here permanently, which, again, considering the circumstances (New Orleans is pretty much destroyed) isn't wholly unlikely.

gqofoklahoma
09-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I think some of this is being blown out of proportion. If Kansas City offered the same package OKC offered to the Hornets, I'll bet the same people accusing us of stealing a team would be complaining "why didn't WE offer a package?!" It's the Oklahoma-think mentality. We aren't as good and anything we do isn't as good as it could be. It's like a pity party.

Offering a business, as someone else mentioned, a place to move in order to help them get back on their feet is, in my opinion, a charitable thing to do. And if Hornet ownership sees New Orleans as a non-viable market AND OKC shows enough support, it's not a BAD THING for the owners to consider a move here permanently, which, again, considering the circumstances (New Orleans is pretty much destroyed) isn't wholly unlikely.

THANK YOU!!!

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I never said we are stealing the Hornets, I'm just concerned about the way we could be seen from the outside. It already is being said that we have lawmakers who are pushing to keep the Hornets here permanently. Whether or not that is actually what Dorman intends with this legislation, that is what is being said. I'm very excited that the Hornets are coming and I think we've done exactly what we should have to get them here. But we definetely don't need shirts that say Oklahoma City Hornets on them or any public campain for them to stay in OKC.

Maybe later, but right now it's just not appropriate.

HOT ROD
09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
NBA`S HORNETS MAY MOVE TO OKC TEMPORAIRILY
Monday, September 19, 2005

Oklahoma City council members will have the New Orleans Hornets on the agenda for Wednesday`s scheduled council session. The council is expected to approve a deal that would bring the NBA team to Oklahoma City, temporarily. The Hornets and the NBA will make some type of official announcement later today as to where the team will play this season. Some of the games will be in Louisiana, but most of the 41 home games probably will be played at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Not to be nit-picky or anything .... ...

but I think you Oklahomans need to get your heads out of the sand. This holier than thou attitude that everyone in OK seems to be having is exactly what has held OKC back more than anything Istook or any other idiot you have in office has ever done!!!

Get a grip. Why do you have to justify with yourselves that the team is temporarily relocating??? That is the case, so be it.

Anderson et al is right. If it makes business sense, See the New Orleans moniker drop from the name and Oklahoma City appear on it! Honestly, that is what you all SHOULD want!

Come On Here, JOIN THE BIG LEAGUES!!! Its all about competition! Dont you all see that is why Baton Rouge is crying about OK's actions? Or that Tulsa is telling you all how "BAD" you are for stealing that team.

OKC is stealing NO TEAM!!!! NO ONE IN OKC has the intention of Stealing the Team! BUT it is in OKCs best interest to support the team and present them an offer they cant refuse. Its called LIFE!!! This happens, it is exactly how St Paul Minnesota got an NHL franchise. It is EXACTLY how THESE New Orleans Hornets that you are all worried about offending EVEN became NO Hornets!!!

Remember, OKC had gotten the shaft time and time again - for being too small OR no quality of life OR too close to Dallas OR ON AND ON! Now is your time to shine in the big leagues!

None of us in larger cities even think OKC is Stealing the Hornets. We're saying, hey that makes sense as the team was going to move away anyways!! OKC is big enough to support it, so be it!

My goodness, and excuse my french for those "soft ears" on the forum - but I think this stuff is ridiculous.

San Antonio IS fighting and dying HARD for the New Orleans Saints. I was on the skyscraperpage forum yesterday and you wont believe the battle going on there - between SA and Sacramento!!! And Sac isnt even a candidate for the Saints AND the Saints ARE going to play in SA. ?? And SA has announced they want it permanent!!! That could be a good business decision!!! That's life!!!

Im not saying OKC should be a crass as SA but instead, take your heads out of the sand OKC!!! If you want to be in the big leagues of the major cities, you need to take advantage of opportunities when they come - AND (AS WE SAY IN FINANCE) CLOSE THE DEAL!!!!

Believe me, you will always hear from smaller places (like Tul and Baton R and so on) who say that. But given the chance, they would surely do the same thing (and Tulsa would surely use the team to brag on how they are better than OKC). No offense Tul, but you know you would [as history has shown us]!!!

Can we move on from this conversation now!!! Go Hornets!!!

HOT ROD
09-19-2005, 11:30 PM
I think most of the national media will not take that stance. I honestly think there may be some anger in Baton Rouge though that we have taken away their chance to have the team there for all home games. I just don't see how that's logistically or financially possible.

EXACTLY!!!

That is all that is!! BR is mad at OKC because we are the closest big city with the ability to host a major league team. No offense, but that is reality.

BR is saying OKC is stealing THEIR TEAM, excuse me - it is the New Orleans Hornets, not Baton Rouge. The stands in NO were pretty empty so Im sure no one in BR supported them.

If they were bigger (not just pop, but infrastructure) then surely they'd get the team, no question. But they aint - so they are doing this pity trip because that is the ONLY card they have.

The sad thing is that it appears many in OKC are fallin for that!! Come on, Im sure if OKC had a team already but something caused the team to temporarily relocate - Tulsa would surely be crying fowl if the team instead moved to Kansas City; the closest big city with infrastructure to support the team!!!

That is just life. You have to read between the lines - and lose the emotion of the situation to make good business decisions!!!

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 11:33 PM
As I said, I don't think anyone except maybe some in Baton Rouge and I'm sure Tulsa are saying that. I completely agree that this is advantageous for both the Hornets and OKC, and no one should deny that. But I still think we shouldn't be trying to rename the team or anything until after this first season. Until then, it is temporary.

HOT ROD
09-19-2005, 11:38 PM
One final thing.

some one suggested earlier that OKC should make a statement or apology about stealing Baton Rouge's team. I have to commend OKC's leadership (and even the paper) for not making any statement at all other than stating the obvious!! NO one in city hall or the capital is cheerleading about the team - they are simply conducting business and politics necessary to secure the team. Very professionally, intentionally, and "major league"!!!

It would only make sense to offer a permanent solution to them as a business decision, I mean, after all - the team does not belong to BR or NO for that matter! It's Shin's team, so make him an offer he can't refuse.

Surely, BR will cry foul and try to get pity from everyone but the reality is they would be over their heads with the team. Otherwise, OKC wouldnt even be a consideration and the team would only move some 80 miles NNW instead of 450 miles due NW.

Im not saying that we cant be sensitive to Louisiana for the tragedy that has happened. But sometimes people take advantage of a bad thing, that they are victims in all cases!!

I disagree, and I am not alone.

HOT ROD
09-19-2005, 11:40 PM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! Well said.

jbrown84
09-20-2005, 12:07 AM
One final thing.

some one suggested earlier that OKC should make a statement or apology about stealing Baton Rouge's team.

Who said that? That's a little over the top.

okcpulse
09-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, quite frankly folks, I don't walk on eggshells for Tulsa anymore. Nothing we do will ever please them and I no longer have the need to do so. As far as Baton Rouge goes, if they had a bigger arena, my hat goes off tp them, and Hornets would get to stay home.. sort of. But they do not have a larger arena. Bottom line!

Karried
09-20-2005, 07:35 AM
I completely agree that this is advantageous for both the Hornets and OKC, and no one should deny that. But I still think we shouldn't be trying to rename the team or anything until after this first season. Until then, it is temporary.

AGREED!

I think we all agree that we are ecstatic that the Hornets are coming, temporarily or not. I also think that we are wanting to be portrayed as somewhat sensitive to the tragedy that is affecting this team.

You are right - we shouldn't let the 'other' cities steal our happiness and try to make us feel badly for having the right circumstances at the right time. I'm excited that they are coming and can't wait!

BDP
09-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Hornets will play here, Stern says

The New Orleans Hornets will play the bulk of their 41 home games in Oklahoma City in 2005-2006, and a number of them will be pledged to Louisiana, NBA commissioner David Stern told The New Orleans Times-Picayune in an interview Monday.
NBA details not released
My Two Cents: Hornets relocation a golden opportunity for city

The Oklahoma City Council will vote on the city's agreement with the Hornets on Wednesday.

"Whatever number of games we're going to play in Oklahoma City, we're going to play there," Stern said. "In my mind is, once we announce a game in Louisiana, if the building were ready, that game could easily be moved to New Orleans. It's right there. Not, 'Oh, hello, Oklahoma City, sorry we scheduled this and sold tickets and got sponsors and now we're going to pull it back.' That's not a commercially viable idea from a league perspective. And we want teams to be able to plan where they're going and how they're going, etc."

Other comments from Stern in the interview:

"Once we decided to find a temporary city, Oklahoma City came in and said, 'Look, we're no strangers to tragedy, and we'd very much like to be helpful. By the way, we happen to have this building here.' We said, 'OK, let's have an economic plan that makes sense. So if we give you this many dates, can we do this, can we get that, can we make this into a season, so that when the Hornets return, they don't go back hobbled."

"The response from Oklahoma City has been very dignified, very understanding," Stern said. "Now, obviously, one understands that a city gets an opportunity to show that it's a great helper, a true simpatico city, and also, it happens to have a basketball facility ready to go."

"We also want to also schedule a series of games in Louisiana. And that's the juggling act that requires us being in detailed discussions, on the one hand with Oklahoma City, on the other hand with the officials of Louisiana, so that we can make arrangements for some games to be played in Baton Rouge."

scotplum
09-20-2005, 09:01 AM
I wanted to share this email from Rep. Dorman to a supporter at HornetsReport. I think it sheds light on what Rep. Dorman is actually attempting to do with his bill. This includes the poster's feelings regarding OKC and the email. Dorman's email is in italics.

(Note: Oops, can't share the URL, my fault)

After reading about the Hornets playing games in Oklahoma, I became worried that this was just another attempt by another city to profit from our misfortune and steal one of our teams. I'm sure that many fans shared this same concern. I wrote an email to the OK rep mentioned in the article and received a quick response:

We have no intention of stealing the New Orleans Hornets. I hope and expect they will be relocated back down there hopefully next year as everything is rebuilt. I've stated in every interview that I've done that I do not want them to move here permanently, but hopefully OKC could be a site for a future expansion team and this could be our way to show we can host an NBA team. The entire country is praying for the opportunity for New Orleans to be rebuilt and continue to thrive. I've visited New Orleans twice in my life and hope I have the opportunity to do it many more times. Again, I have no intention of trying to make this a permanent change. I simply want to make sure everything is covered for the Hornets for this one season as the city is rebuilt. Please pass this on to others that are concerned.
Joe Dorman

I believe in my heart that he is being sincere about this. We will still have to do our part in rebuilding and buying tickets to get this team to stay but I feel better in believeing that the Hornets WILL BE BACK IN NEW ORLEANS!

I would like to finish by publicly thanking Mr Dorman for taking the time to respond to my email and addressing my concern. It is nice to see that there are still politicians who take the time to write back to people, even if they do not live in their district.

BDP
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Thank you Scotplum for sharing. I think that will ease anyone's concern over Dorman's intentions and clear up any confusion created by vague press reports regarding the public assistance bill for the Hornets.

jbrown84
09-20-2005, 10:49 AM
It's clear that that writer from the New Orleans paper was either completely wrong or intentionally lying about that issue, because he said something like, "and Oklahoma is already attempting to keep the team permanently. An OK lawmaker is submitting a bill that would..."