View Full Version : Long Gone Beer Brands

DallasCop2566
11-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Back in the day when I was in my late teens the big thing was buying beer, usually going to the east side and having one of the locals that hung around beer stores buying beer for under aged drinkers getting a dollar or two for their services.

I was recalling some of the beer brands that just seemed to fade away. Falstaff, Busch Bavarian, Stag, Jax, Blatz, Texas Pride, Schlitz, Grand Prize and Progress.

Some that endured were Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Budweiser, Hamms, Shiner, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, and Pearl.

When I was in the service and stationed at Fort Wolters, Texas (Mineral Wells) beer served in the Enlisted Club and N.C.O. Club were monthly contracts. A lot of Olympia and Pabst Blue Ribbon and usually one less expensive, usually Lone Star or Pearl. I remember the month I was being discharged from active duty the contract went to Knickerbocker Beer. Haven't seen it since and maybe it too faded away, I surely hope so.

They also added a "Premium Beer" and if I recall it was brewed and distributed by Pabst Brewing and was named Andecker or something close. Michelob came along much later as a competor and Andecker seemed to also fade away.

Returned to Oklahoma City for a short time after discharge and what a treat to go to Hollie's Drive In and legally buy a beer with a genuine I.D. and not worry about being caught by the police.

MadMonk
11-13-2014, 11:25 AM
The Safeway brand "Scotch Buy" *shudders* or the generic, white can of "Beer". Under-age drinkers will drink just about anything.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oyEwrxISJvk/T_oPRUjmD9I/AAAAAAAAAjg/bR0wO0wu8Lg/s400/scotchbuybeer.jpg

it was a lot like Pearl, but without it's pretension and glamour. :tongue:

bradh
11-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Schlitz is still around. I used to date a girl who lived in Corpus whose dad drank nothing but Schaefer's

Is Lowenbrau still around? I remember they use to sponsor a major IMSA racing team when I was a kid.

Stew
11-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Schlitz is still around. I used to date a girl who lived in Corpus whose dad drank nothing but Schaefer's

Is Lowenbrau still around? I remember they use to sponsor a major IMSA racing team when I was a kid.

Lowenbrau is widely available Germany.

Jersey Boss
11-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Back in the day when I was in my late teens the big thing was buying beer, usually going to the east side and having one of the locals that hung around beer stores buying beer for under aged drinkers getting a dollar or two for their services.

I was recalling some of the beer brands that just seemed to fade away. Falstaff, Busch Bavarian, Stag, Jax, Blatz, Texas Pride, Schlitz, Grand Prize and Progress.

Some that endured were Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Budweiser, Hamms, Shiner, Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, and Pearl.

When I was in the service and stationed at Fort Wolters, Texas (Mineral Wells) beer served in the Enlisted Club and N.C.O. Club were monthly contracts. A lot of Olympia and Pabst Blue Ribbon and usually one less expensive, usually Lone Star or Pearl. I remember the month I was being discharged from active duty the contract went to Knickerbocker Beer. Haven't seen it since and maybe it too faded away, I surely hope so.

They also added a "Premium Beer" and if I recall it was brewed and distributed by Pabst Brewing and was named Andecker or something close. Michelob came along much later as a competor and Andecker seemed to also fade away.

Returned to Oklahoma City for a short time after discharge and what a treat to go to Hollie's Drive In and legally buy a beer with a genuine I.D. and not worry about being caught by the police.

I can tell by your post that you are most likely in your 70's or better. What caught my eye was your mention of Knickerbocker beer. My father used to drink this, but by the time I was enjoying my first Rheingold in either 70 or 71 Knickerbocker was not available. It is a shame that the big boys decimated regional beers.

rezman
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Don't know if they're still around or not, but we drank more than our share of Little Kings cream ale, and Mickey's malt liquor. Stroh's was good too.

Jersey Boss
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Schaefer "the one beer to have when you're having more than one", was a popular beer in the NY area but the company was eventually sold to another brewer sometime in the 70's I believe. Like Rolling Rock, what was once an independent brew became something other than its original self.

OKCRT
11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Busch Bavarian Beer is still wildly popular at St. Louis sporting events. It's actually pretty darn good for a domestic beer. Now the watered down stuff from the conv. store in Ok might be another thing. I think Stag is still around but that was never one I would fancy. Schlitz is a Milwaukee brewed beer as well as Fallstaff and I believe both are still around.

Pearl was pretty nasty stuff IMO as was Olympia.

ljbab728
11-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Oklahoma City's Progress Brewing Company.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.472333,-97.5345031,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_17fq5WVZsx8ZOjPbnnmDw!2e0

bradh
11-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Busch Bavarian Beer is still wildly popular at St. Louis sporting events. It's actually pretty darn good for a domestic beer. Now the watered down stuff from the conv. store in Ok might be another thing. I think Stag is still around but that was never one I would fancy. Schlitz is a Milwaukee brewed beer as well as Fallstaff and I believe both are still around.

Pearl was pretty nasty stuff IMO as was Olympia.

anything Busch is popular in Missouri. it blows my mind, it's EVERYWHERE there. all types of Busch beer too

traxx
11-14-2014, 09:50 AM
[B]Back in the day when I was in my late teens the big thing was buying beer, usually going to the east side and having one of the locals that hung around beer stores buying beer for under aged drinkers getting a dollar or two for their services.

Did you grow up in American Graffitti?

RadicalModerate
11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
The Safeway brand "Scotch Buy" *shudders* or the generic, white can of "Beer". Under-age drinkers will drink just about anything.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oyEwrxISJvk/T_oPRUjmD9I/AAAAAAAAAjg/bR0wO0wu8Lg/s400/scotchbuybeer.jpg

it was a lot like Pearl, but without it's pretension and glamour. :tongue:

I'm surprised that Truth in Labeling Laws didn't make them print SWILL on the can.

"Say, Ray . . . Whatcha drinkin' there?"
"It's Scotch Buy's tasty, yet affordable alternative to beer, Bob. They call it Swill."
"I've heard that Swill is Swell . . ."
"I wouldn't go that far, Bob."

RealJimbo
11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Oh, the memories of Hollie's! Rosie would see me pull into a parking space and didn't even wait to be asked. She'd punch the top on a Coors and bring it to my car before the key was turned off.

ctchandler
11-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Oh, the memories of Hollie's! Rosie would see me pull into a parking space and didn't even wait to be asked. She'd punch the top on a Coors and bring it to my car before the key was turned off.

RealJimbo,
Don't know why, but I/we drank Falstaff at Hollie's. I had my first beer there at age 14+. My friend worked with me at Humpty Dumpty's and was 16. He had a car and we would go to Hollie's after we got off work at 9 p.m.
C. T.

OKCRT
11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Hollies actually made a pretty good cheeseburger back in the day. I think every teenager in OKC back then knew that Hollies was the place to go for a six pack.

ctchandler
11-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Hollies actually made a pretty good cheeseburger back in the day. I think every teenager in OKC back then knew that Hollies was the place to go for a six pack.

OKCRT,
I was young, so any cheeseburger was a good cheeseburger. Off topic a little, nobody ever mentions Carp's drive-in. Do you remember them? I think they were on Northwest 23rd but not sure of that.
C. T.

Prunepicker
11-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Lone Star used to be near NW 4th and N Western. I think the League for the Blind took
over the building.

ljbab728
11-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Lone Star used to be near NW 4th and N Western. I think the League for the Blind took
over the building.
Please see my post number 9. Lone Star took over that location on North Douglas from Progress Beer.

stick47
11-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Always liked the Jax beer commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcdU4gxU38

Urbanized
11-15-2014, 05:57 AM
McNellie's has Schlitz. Unfortunately I had one there a while back.

RadicalModerate
11-15-2014, 08:15 AM
When I was a kid, all my friends were all into Coors. (it was brewed down the road).
I was more into Schlitz. They were selling Schlitz over at Sam's Libationary on 63rd St.
I thought I'd get a case for the sake of nostalgia. I didn't: All of the cases were at least a year past the expiration date.
(yes: beer DOES have use by dates).

When we used to go to 89er games I always drank Stroh's from that icy bucket that dude used to push around.
I still remember really liking it. But that was a couple of decades back.

Old Milwaukee (The "OM" of Beer) was my absolute favorite lawnmowing beer for years.
Unfortunately, the local distributors turned it into a "long gone beer"--at least locally.

rezman
11-16-2014, 02:52 PM
There used to be a brewery out in Hinton. I think it was Lone Star or Falsaff... I remember touring the place with my dad. At the end of the tour, the grown ups got a free cold beer and us kids got rootbeer.

Prunepicker
11-16-2014, 05:34 PM
When we used to go to 89er games I always drank Stroh's from that icy bucket
that dude used to push around.
The guy was Adam.

Prunepicker
11-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Always liked the Jax beer commercials.
Bob Thomas, a WKY-TV weatherman in the 60's, would get cracked up over
the commercials.

stick47
11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
The guy was Adam.

Adam Walker, Prune. I knew him from his trading at the Otasco I worked at in the 70s. He told me he had 26 kids. I never confirmed it but have my suspicions being that he was pretty much of a character.

Prunepicker
11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Adam Walker, Prune. I knew him from his trading at the Otasco I worked at in the
70s. He told me he had 26 kids. I never confirmed it but have my suspicions being
that he was pretty much of a character.
Too cool.

stick47
11-17-2014, 01:12 PM
More info on Adam Walker. He lived over by Lake Overholser and he did have 26 kids. Foster kids. Also saw that his son Adam Jr passed away about a year ago.

Prunepicker
11-22-2014, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=stick47;843788]
More info on Adam Walker. He lived over by Lake Overholser and he did have 26
Good job Adam!

You're old enough to remember if Lone Star was just west of Western on @ NW
Street.

I know that it was because I parked about a block from it in the 70's.

ljbab728
11-22-2014, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=stick47;843788]
Good job Adam!

Street.

You mentioned that previously. Please see my post number 9. I'm definitely old enough to remember. I easily remember when that building was Progress Beer before it became Lone Star.:)

Prunepicker
11-22-2014, 10:05 PM
kids. Foster kids. Also saw that his son Adam Jr passed away about a year ago.
I live near Lake Holdhercloser, I mean Overholser, too. I remember parking
near the Lone Star Brewery near N. Western in the 70's.

Thanks for the update. Adam was a HOOT!

RadicalModerate
11-23-2014, 06:45 AM
The guy was Adam.

The fellow I'm talking about was an elderly black (or African-American or whatever term in currently most respectful) gentleman who really knew how to hustle cold beer. Of course, on a blistering summer evening it almost sold itself.

stick47
11-23-2014, 06:53 AM
Pretty sure that would be Adam Walker.

Tritone
11-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Ah the posts about Jax Beer. I remember the commericals, particularly during the weather on Sunday nights at 10:00. "Pwemium quality beer." Yes, with a "W."

If all OKC talk had was the Nostalgia forum I'd be hooked.

RadicalModerate
11-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Pretty sure that would be Adam Walker.

Well . . . I never got his name, but he was one of the highlights of attending an 89ers game. I still remember him digging deep into that Big Barrel o' Beer, and pulling out an ice cold Stroh's dripping with refreshing goodness and ice water. Then repeating the process for the various beers for the other three to six people in our group. And doing this about ten times per game. We took turns buying rounds and gave him a tip every time. We must have spent a small fortune.

RadicalModerate
11-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Ah the posts about Jax Beer. I remember the commericals, particularly during the weather on Sunday nights at 10:00. "Pwemium quality beer." Yes, with a "W."

If all OKC talk had was the Nostalgia forum I'd be hooked.

If they can substitute an X for a ck's, I see no problem with substituting a W for an r. =)
(Why . . . I can almost hear Barbara Walters doing an ad spot for them: "Dwink Jax: It's Pwemium Beer that will jack you up.")

I used to see old Jax Beer signs all over the place. Never had one. (The beer, not a sign). I imagine it was a lot like Skotch Bye. (see Page 1, above and to the left a click. ^)

stick47
11-23-2014, 08:08 AM

http://todbryant.blogspot.com/2011/07/good-time-baseball-adam-89er-and-one.html

RadicalModerate
11-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the link to that story. I guess my recollection was fairly accurate.
btw: That blog looks very interesting if the story is a representative sample of what lurks therein.
So . . . thanks, again.

Stickman
11-26-2014, 02:08 PM

TodBlog: Good Time Baseball: Adam 89er, and the One Sport They Played at All Sports Stadium (http://todbryant.blogspot.com/2011/07/good-time-baseball-adam-89er-and-one.html)

Good Memories...................................I can see and hear him as if it was Yesterday,
Wow, good times for cheap prices.

GaryOKC6
11-27-2014, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=stick47;843788]
Good job Adam!

Street.

I know where they were. I was told that they used to have a tap outside the front door for sampling. Not sure if that was true or not.

OKCRT
11-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Lonestar was between Nw 4th-5th on McKinley I am pretty sure. Then it was the League for the blind. But just west of western.

Prunepicker
11-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Lonestar was between Nw 4th-5th on McKinley I am pretty sure. Then it was the
League for the blind. But just west of western.
That's it! You could see the brewery from 4th or 5th.

ljbab728
11-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Lonestar was between Nw 4th-5th on McKinley I am pretty sure. Then it was the League for the blind. But just west of western.

There is a link to a picture of the building in my post number 9. The address is 501 N. Douglas. In that area McKinley dead ends at 3rd Street and starts again at 5th Street.

Swake
11-27-2014, 11:27 PM
I recall Schaefer beer, cheap and terrible when I was in college in Kansas. Wiedemann's was my favorite cheap beer, when KU won the championship over OU in 88 I wore a 12 pack box as a hat on Mass St during the celebration.

Scotch buy was really awful, but the worst was Quitting Time beer, from Quik Trip... We used to say it was cheap, smooth, and nasty.

OKCRT
11-29-2014, 12:16 PM
There is a link to a picture of the building in my post number 9. The address is 501 N. Douglas. In that area McKinley dead ends at 3rd Street and starts again at 5th Street.

Yes,I haven't been to that area in years. And I never cared for Lonestar Beer. Cheap crap IMO. Bud has always been the "King Of Beers". Lots of Coors drinkers back in the day also. Bud & Coors were the top 2. Pearl was some nasty stuff as well. I assume it's still around.

Prunepicker
11-29-2014, 05:50 PM
I remember Colt .45 called a malt liquor. It was in a little can.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwzyhQTv_49We_wRJr377mi3Bugd_JJ mk7ZOAp09wnxGvVlej3tA