View Full Version : Travel time on the ODOT Dot-Matrix highway signs

bchris02
11-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Driving in from Edmond this morning I noticed the ODOT dot-matrix sign on the Broadway Ext was displaying travel time to I-44 and Downtown. This is the first time I've ever seen that in OKC, though it is quite common for the signs to be used for that purpose in larger cities. Is this because of the construction that is starting on I-235 or is ODOT going to start regularly displaying travel time information here during rush hour?

venture
11-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Driving in from Edmond this morning I noticed the ODOT dot-matrix sign on the Broadway Ext was displaying travel time to I-44 and Downtown. This is the first time I've ever seen that in OKC, though it is quite common for the signs to be used for that purpose in larger cities. Is this because of the construction that is starting on I-235 or is ODOT going to start regularly displaying travel time information here during rush hour?

I believe that is going to be the status quo on all the information signs going forward. Nothing to do with 235 construction. This had been mentioned in the ODOT thread (I believe) a few months back.

mobstam
11-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Oklahoma City gets informative digital highway signs | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-gets-informative-digital-highway-signs/article/5357193)

bchris02
11-12-2014, 08:03 AM
The system obviously isn't working correctly. The sign coming down from Edmond today was displaying time to both I-44 and I-240 as 6 minutes. The one on westbound I-40 at Reno is displaying time to Douglass Blvd and I-240, which don't even intersect I-40 going west.

HangryHippo
11-12-2014, 10:28 AM
The system obviously isn't working correctly. The sign coming down from Edmond today was displaying time to both I-44 and I-240 as 6 minutes. The one on westbound I-40 at Reno is displaying time to Douglass Blvd and I-240, which don't even intersect I-40 going west.

Yeah, something is amiss. The sign at I-40 and Meridian (I think?) listed travel time to I-44 as 23 minutes, which wasn't even remotely close.