View Full Version : Black Friday 2014

Plutonic Panda
11-06-2014, 12:49 PM
The competition is on to see who'll open earlier.

JC Penney to open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/11/06/jc-penney-to-open-at-5-p-m-on-thanksgiving/)

Plutonic Panda
11-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Black Friday keeps growing - Tulsa World: Business (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/black-friday-keeps-growing/article_c24c75c8-7839-5927-82b1-a64e7000636e.html)

kelroy55
11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Stores use a lot of scams to get folks in... Big screens for $400 while supplies last and they only have 1.

FighttheGoodFight
11-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I need a fridge this year for the new house.

I just hate the whole black friday deal so I might just buy online and take those savings.

RadicalModerate
11-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I wonder why they don't just stay open 24/7 from Halloween through Jan. 2 . . .

Richard at Remax
11-06-2014, 03:30 PM
You mean Black Thursday?

Mel
11-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Black Wednesday if you're in the Airline Industry.

kevinpate
11-06-2014, 04:00 PM
You mean Black Thursday?

I remember a Black Thursday once. Was years before Mama let Pops near the stove again.
Pops had many skills and was a very bright man, and he could handle an outdoor grill just fine.
But indoor cooking ... not in his skill set Not one little bit.

tfvc.org
11-06-2014, 04:14 PM

I just hate the whole black friday deal so I might just buy online and take those savings.
Hahn appliance is having a black friday sale all of November. Might find a good deal before the madness begins.

BBatesokc
11-06-2014, 05:37 PM
This why for years now we go out of town (skiing) for Thanksgiving. Just not into all the Black Friday hype. I've never gotten a deal I couldn't have gotten at a later date and without the hassle.

ljbab728
11-06-2014, 08:46 PM
This why for years now we go out of town (skiing) for Thanksgiving. Just not into all the Black Friday hype. I've never gotten a deal I couldn't have gotten at a later date and without the hassle.

Interesting. I'm always in town on that day and manage to avoid the manic shoppers quite easily.

venture
11-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I'll admit I am a big Black Friday shopper, but mostly just online now. Love this site: Black Friday 2014 | Black Friday Ads | Black Friday Deals | BFAds.net (http://bfads.net/)

Usually able to get the "door buster" or "early bird" deals on the store websites instead of having to go stand in line. Also Amazon is fantastic with the lightning deals every years (they are already going on) and get some really good deals through them. Pair it with my Prime account and never have to worry about shipping.

BBatesokc
11-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Interesting. I'm always in town on that day and manage to avoid the manic shoppers quite easily.

Never said I couldn't avoid the manic shoppers. I said I'm not into the Black Friday hype. No need to be in town to try and find deals or avoid them. Some people plan weeks in advance for shopping that day - I just don't get it.

kevinpate
11-07-2014, 05:35 AM
I value my time. When I do choose to fritter some away just to do so, it is on doing things I enjoy. Scoring a door buster sale price at 3:12 am is not on the things I enjoy list.

For those of you who find BF shopping better than left over gravy on a turkey clad biscuit, knock yourself out. But hey, do try to avoid getting knocked about. You can and will be up against some folk who are capable of becoming downright scary and brutal.

kelroy55
11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
I value my time. When I do choose to fritter some away just to do so, it is on doing things I enjoy. Scoring a door buster sale price at 3:12 am is not on the things I enjoy list.

For those of you who find BF shopping better than left over gravy on a turkey clad biscuit, knock yourself out. But hey, do try to avoid getting knocked about. You can and will be up against some folk who are capable of becoming downright scary and brutal.

Why I recommend carrying a stun gun :)

RadicalModerate
11-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Why I recommend carrying a stun gun :)

Do you suppose any retailers will have extra good deals on those if one shows up at their place of business at, say . . . 2:00 pm Thanksgiving afternoon?

Plutonic Panda
11-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Never said I couldn't avoid the manic shoppers. I said I'm not into the Black Friday hype. No need to be in town to try and find deals or avoid them. Some people plan weeks in advance for shopping that day - I just don't get it.
there are deals I've seen you can't get any other time. Saw a 65'' Samsung advertised at Walmart for like $250 a year or so ago. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure they only had one or two, but damn. Where else are going to even touch that.

ljbab728
11-07-2014, 08:50 PM

I can't disagree about the crazy shoppers and I'm not one of them. I somehow suspect, however, that you might still be going on your trip even if there wasn't a Black Friday. :)

BBatesokc
11-08-2014, 06:32 AM
I can't disagree about the crazy shoppers and I'm not one of them. I somehow suspect, however, that you might still be going on your trip even if there wasn't a Black Friday. :)

Probably... even if you remove 'Black Friday from the equation, you still have all the relatives that somehow always expected us to be the one's who spent our holiday traveling from this relatives house to this relatives house...... Its insane.

Plus, I'm a fair weather skier. I love to just throw on a light jacket and ski and then sit at the base lodge outside in a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans and eat and drink. Beginning an end of the season is about the only time you can do that.

BBatesokc
11-08-2014, 06:37 AM
there are deals I've seen you can't get any other time. Saw a 65'' Samsung advertised at Walmart for like $250 a year or so ago. I couldn't believe it. I'm sure they only had one or two, but damn. Where else are going to even touch that.

A Walmart 65" TV marked that low is almost guaranteed to be a bare bones 60Hz virtually none in stock outdated paperweight. Who in their right mind fights the Walmart crowd to buy 'stuff'?

I'm frugal - almost to a fault - but I draw the line at joining the throngs that simply remind everyone else how out of touch and primitive much of society really is. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot once or twice to get a Shop Vac or latter I really needed. But there were no crowds when I'd go.

Give me an excellent returned or 'last one' marked down item at Sam's or a quality Pawn Shop deal any day though.

Plutonic Panda
11-08-2014, 08:19 AM
A Walmart 65" TV marked that low is almost guaranteed to be a bare bones 60Hz virtually none in stock outdated paperweight. Who in their right mind fights the Walmart crowd to buy 'stuff'?

I'm frugal - almost to a fault - but I draw the line at joining the throngs that simply remind everyone else how out of touch and primitive much of society really is. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot once or twice to get a Shop Vac or latter I really needed. But there were no crowds when I'd go.

Give me an excellent returned or 'last one' marked down item at Sam's or a quality Pawn Shop deal any day though.

I can't argue with you there, I'm just saying that was a hella good deal for quite a bit of people and I doubt they have them that cheap during other times of the year.

I don't participate in Black Friday though. I'm sure most of these 'deals' you can get or get close to other days. I've even heard cyber Monday has better deals, but I don't like buying tech on the Internet unless I'm super familiar with the actual product.

Plutonic Panda
11-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Black Friday protests planned at Walmarts - Tulsa World: Retail (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/black-friday-protests-planned-at-walmarts/article_140fa545-08ac-5469-a892-b5aad086e44c.html)

Prunepicker
11-16-2014, 07:51 PM
That does it. I'm staying home... again.

Chadanth
11-16-2014, 08:54 PM
That does it. I'm staying home... again.

I won't be home, per se, but I won't be shopping, that's for sure. Good on you.

RadicalModerate
11-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Every "holiday" needs a song. Here's one I wrote a couple of years ago.
(anyone know Bing Crosby's phone number? how about Al Yankovic?)

I'm Dreaming of a Black Thursday

(Introduction)
I remember Thanksgivings of childhood
I recall family dinners and time
Together around the old table
With warmth and good feelings sublime.

There were stories about the old pilgrims
And Squanto and Indian guides
There was turkey and taters and stuffing
And football on TV besides . . .

I'm dreaming of a Black Thursday
With phony bargains all around
The day when witches
And sons-o'-bitches
Crush Walmart greeters to the ground.

When discount mayhem will abound
When "dad"-eyed zombies
And sock-her mom-zies
Line up to make the screams resound

The day that Mammon gets his due
When greedy mobsters
And seedy slobsters
Prove their material lust is true.

And when the money counting's through
The grasping masses
And retail asses
Will say Black Wednesday's overdue.

GaryOKC6
11-17-2014, 07:52 AM

I bought a new fridge last year at Best Buys "pre black friday sale" They have online specials all month. I bought a new Samsung refrigerator for half price 2 weeks before black Friday. Retail was 3200 and I paid 1600 without getting up early or standing in line.

warreng88
11-17-2014, 08:00 AM
My mom and I participate in Black Friday, but we don't camp out or anything like some of the crazies. We just get to the stores at 7am when all the b@tsh!t crazy people are already gone and all the normies have yet to make it out of the house. We don't get an iPad for $8 or a TV for $50, but still get some good deals.

I worked at Wal-Mart throughout high school and the first year of college. I remember when we opened at 4am and that was unheard of. I remember saying, "When are stores going to start opening the night before?" and sure enough, that happened recently. When is it going to move back and stores open at midnight on Thanksgiving?

GaryOKC6
11-17-2014, 08:04 AM
I have started doing the black Friday online. Best Buy and Wal-Mart have online specials every hour it seemed. I get emails and check back. Bought the teenager a new XBOX for half price online last year during black Friday..

FighttheGoodFight
11-17-2014, 09:47 AM
If you like to keep an eye on daels online or in store I go to SLICKDEALS (http://slickdeals.net) and at the top they have a Black Friday section that is great.

TheTravellers
11-18-2014, 12:10 PM
...When is it going to move back and stores open at midnight on Thanksgiving?

15 Stores That Will Open On Thanksgiving (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/18/stores-open-thanksgiving-2014-black-friday_n_6154492.html)

Plutonic Panda
11-28-2014, 11:41 AM
VIDEO: The most dangerous stores on Black Friday - The Edmond Sun: Don't Miss This (http://www.edmondsun.com/cnhi_network/video-the-most-dangerous-stores-on-black-friday/html_c3e304c2-dbe2-50b7-8a75-b0abe4be31c6.html)

Plutonic Panda
11-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Video: Black Friday isn?t just for America anymore | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/11/28/video-black-friday-isnt-just-for-america-anymore/)

Plutonic Panda
11-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Black Friday Death Count (http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/)

woodyrr
11-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Earlier today, I saw some of the YouTube videos of literal chaos in stores this morning.

When, in the experience of posters here, did black Friday become as crazy as it is in present times? Has it always been this way and I, never being one to shop on black Friday, just never noticed it. Has the ubiquitousness of the internet, small video cameras and YouTube brought this long term phenomenon into the open? Did it coincide with the shift from the predominance of local mom and pop shops or T.G.&Y stores to mega retailers? I am over fifty years of age and I may be gravely mistaken, but I think the day after Thanksgiving was, at one time, actually civil.

Mel
11-28-2014, 02:15 PM
I got up about an hour ago. I have already bought my gifts for my Grandsons. I wonder which store started this black Friday junk? You know once one big retailer did it everyone else had to match it. Now it's a contest to see who can do it the earliest.

turnpup
11-28-2014, 07:42 PM
I can't really pinpoint the Black Friday craziness, but I do remember as recently as the late '90s that Christmas Eve was still quiet. Very few stores were open. Not much traffic on the highways. I remember this because my (late) father and I had a tradition of driving up to OKC in the morning of Christmas Eve, just the two of us. We'd go to off-the-beaten-path places like thrift stores because not much else was open. We'd buy a few oddball trinkets to be stocking stuffers for other family members. We would find a place open for lunch (and there weren't a lot of them), have nice lunch, then head back to join the rest of the family for the evening. It's sure not like that any more, is it?

RadicalModerate
11-28-2014, 10:32 PM
^ I suppose that the conclusion of your remembrance and observation depends entirely upon who one is and what is important to that person. I will say this: Your brief essay there was the nicest "Black Friday/Early Christmas" Present I will get this year. Thank you.

turnpup
11-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Awww, thanks RM! You made my day!

Plutonic Panda
12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
42 Million Dead In Bloodiest Black Friday Weekend On Record | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/42-million-dead-in-bloodiest-black-friday-weekend,30517/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:NA:InFocus)

Mel
12-02-2014, 04:18 PM
42 Million Dead In Bloodiest Black Friday Weekend On Record | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/42-million-dead-in-bloodiest-black-friday-weekend,30517/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:NA:InFocus)

I knew that had to be from the Onion.:D

Plutonic Panda
12-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Black Friday sales down 11 percent, retailers group reports | News OK (http://newsok.com/black-friday-sales-down-11-percent-retailers-group-reports/article/5372478)