View Full Version : Death with Dignity

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 07:09 AM
I wish we all had the choice.

Brittany Maynard, the 29-year-old who said she had terminal brain cancer, took medication to end her life under Oregon's "Death with Dignity Act," advocacy group Compassion & Choices said Sunday.

"Brittany chose to make a well thought out and informed choice to Die With Dignity in the face of such a terrible, painful, and incurable illness," a post on her website said. "She moved to Oregon to pass away in a little yellow house she picked out in the beautiful city of Portland."

In a statement, Compassion & Choices, an end-of-life choice advocacy group that has been working closely with Maynard, said she "died as she intended -- peacefully in her bedroom, in the arms of her loved ones."

Maynard passed away Saturday, said the group, which released an official obituary.

The epitaph contained a final message from Maynard, who expressed a note of deep thanks to all of her supporters, whom she "sought out like water" during her life and illness.

"It is people who pause to appreciate life and give thanks who are happiest. If we change our thoughts, we change our world! Love and peace to you all," she said.

Pete
11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
My father was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer when I was a senior in college.

That was over 30 years ago and what haunts me to do this day is not his death, which was incredibly traumatic in itself. It is the way he suffered for almost a year with absolutely no hope of recovery.

My entire family was traumatized by his suffering, especially since he was such a strong, proud man. When I think of him now, I most often remember those horrible days as I had to move home to be a care-giver throughout his illness.

Death with dignity is a complicated issue but if I ever find myself in the position of my dad or this unfortunate young woman, I would strongly consider that option.

bchris02
11-03-2014, 09:11 AM
A lot of people are comparing this to other types of cancer, but her specific brain cancer would have been one of the most traumatic and agonizing deaths imaginable. In her situation I really do sympathize with her and understand why she made the decision she made. I wish Christians who are throwing stones would stop for a moment and empathize with this young woman. Brain cancer is especially bad because your body remains strong and healthy but it takes your mind slowly and agonizingly.

I hope and pray that however I go that it is not brain cancer.

Bullbear
11-03-2014, 09:12 AM
good for her. she shouldn't have to suffer. When I am faced with horrible decisions of putting down a pet I always tell myself that suffering is a human condition and that my animals shouldn't have to suffer and deserve a peaceful passing. and really we all deserve that in these types of cases in my opinion.

jerrywall
11-03-2014, 09:17 AM
This is such a complicated issue, and hits close to many people. Throughout my life I've gone back and forth on the concept of assisted suicide, and the right to die. There's a great documentary if folks are interested, "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die". There was also another one that was on netflix streaming (I don't currently have an active account, so not sure if it's still there). It's called "The Suicide Tourist".

Pete
11-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I can assure you that brain cancer is a horrible, horrible way to go. I barely even speak of what happened with my father because it's still so incredibly painful to think about.

But there are lots of situations where someone should be able to not only end it all, but do it with professional help and with their family around them.

Good grief, we've been doing this for dogs and cats for decades. Time to have an open discussion that doesn't involve the beliefs of others dictating to those in these terrible situations.

As it is, this poor woman had to move her home to Oregon while terminally ill just to be sure this could happen. Most people would never have that option and even still, no one should be forced to do that.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I believe it's a deeply personal decision that needs to be made by the person and the family. I would hope that if I was in a position like this brave woman but unable to do it myself a loved one would assist me.

Pete
11-03-2014, 09:32 AM
BTW, my mother died of lung cancer just a few years after my dad passed away.

That was pretty horrific as well, but the process wasn't as drawn out. Still, my mom had just witnessed what had happened to my dad and even though she was very religious, I know she would have chosen death with dignity if she had that option.

Where things get infinitely more complex is when someone becomes terminally ill and isn't completely lucid. Lots of situations like this.

I would hope that as the laws start to change that there would also be a pretty well defined set of legal criteria that would allow for someone to state in advance their desires around this issue.

Bunty
11-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Once again, people should have the right to try medical marijuana, especially with difficult medical conditions, and under a knowledgeable doctor's care. A woman told me she hoped medical marijuana would be legalized in Oklahoma, because her daughter in law had an inoperable brain tumor. So the daughter in law sold her house and moved to San Francisco to take advantage of medical marijuana. She has been doing better.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 10:01 AM
BTW, my mother died of lung cancer just a few years after my dad passed away.

That was pretty horrific as well, but the process wasn't as drawn out. Still, my mom had just witnessed what had happened to my dad and even though she was very religious, I know she would have chosen death with dignity if she had that option.

Where things get infinitely more complex is when someone becomes terminally ill and isn't completely lucid. Lots of situations like this.

I would hope that as the laws start to change that there would also be a pretty well defined set of legal criteria that would allow for someone to state in advance their desires around this issue.

I don't see the laws changing anytime soon with the religious right being so against it. :(

Pete
11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
It's also a very uncomfortable subject without strong advocates until someone finds themselves of a family member in this terrible situation.

Most people would prefer not to think about it and thus I don't think there will ever be enough to advocate against the organized opposition.

corwin1968
11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
It baffles me that there is so much opposition to this. Every person should have the right to make this decision without the input of the religious busy-bodies interfering. On some topics, the religious right is no better than the Taliban and it's a shame that the Republican party has that albatross around it's neck.

turnpup
11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
My father was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer when I was a senior in college.

That was over 30 years ago and what haunts me to do this day is not his death, which was incredibly traumatic in itself. It is the way he suffered for almost a year with absolutely no hope of recovery.

My entire family was traumatized by his suffering, especially since he was such a strong, proud man. When I think of him now, I most often remember those horrible days as I had to move home to be a care-giver throughout his illness.

Death with dignity is a complicated issue but if I ever find myself in the position of my dad or this unfortunately young woman, I would strongly consider that option.

Right there with ya, Pete. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 63. She did pretty well for about 7 years, then went into a catatonic state. She's been in full nursing home care now for nearly 4 years. Her body is in great physical shape, so there's no end in sight. She's just lying there. She can't talk, can't feed herself, can't understand anything. I would give anything for her to go, but it could be years before she does. She'd be horrified that her life has turned out this way. I know she would've considered ending her life if she'd had the chance.

My dad pretty much made the choice to end his life last month. The doctor told him he wasn't going to get any better, and that he'd just suffer, have to be re-hospitalized, then suffer some more...you get the idea. So Daddy was able to sign a DNR, call in hospice, and have a big morphine/ativan cocktail injected into his IV. He went to sleep in about ten seconds, and never woke up. He died within 36 hours. It was peaceful and beautiful. I'm so thankful it worked out that way. If only it could've been like that for Mom.

jerrywall
11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
And here we see why this is a difficult issue to talk about. Even in a non-political forum, how quickly folks are politicizing this.

There are folks who honestly have a hard time grappling with the issues of suicide, who might be opposed to this for various reasons that have nothing to do with religion and politics. But As long as folks insist on creating camps and labeling, why would anyone engage?

Pete
11-03-2014, 10:16 AM
It baffles me that there is so much opposition to this. Every person should have the right to make this decision without the input of the religious busy-bodies interfering. On some topics, the religious right is no better than the Taliban and it's a shame that the Republican party has that albatross around it's neck.

On this topic, it's not just the Religious Right. The Catholic church, for example, would certainly mount strong opposition as well.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 10:16 AM
And here we see why this is a difficult issue to talk about. Even in a non-political forum, how quickly folks are politicizing this.

There are folks who honestly have a hard time grappling with the issues of suicide, who might be opposed to this for various reasons that have nothing to do with religion and politics. But As long as folks insist on creating camps and labeling, why would anyone engage?

Not trying to politicize this, just stating a fact that the religious right being the main group against this.

On edit.... I agree it's not always the religious right but it seems the majority of it is.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 10:17 AM
On this topic, it's not just the Religious Right. The Catholic church, for example, would certainly mount strong opposition as well.

I agree but , IMHO, if a religion is against it then don't do it, don't stand in the way of others making a decision.

Pete
11-03-2014, 10:18 AM

True, this issue is similar to abortion in that regard.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 10:21 AM
The danger of 'dying with dignity'

Fighting assisted suicide is a central and crucial tenant of the Pro-Life movement. Pro-Lifers must make sure that the disabled, terminally ill, and elderly are not led to believe that death is the only way that their suffering will cease. All Life is valuable and individuals should never be convinced that their current condition has made them such a drain on society and their families that they have a “duty to die.”

The anti-Life movement has developed the idea of “Death with Dignity” and this has become one of their most powerful weapons. The concept behind this chilling philosophy is that people should be allowed the freedom to plan the end of their life. While it is understandable that patients do not wish to suffer endlessly, hospitals and physicians are using this movement to save money on long-term care.

Patients that endure immense suffering are being psychologically manipulated into seeing death as the only way to end their pain. While anti-Life advocates paint a picture of patients that calmly and rationally decide to die, the truth is that these patients are in an understandable state of depression from the constant pain and demoralizing prognosis. They are not always rational and with proper pain management therapy and counseling, they would be better able to cope with their feelings of despair.

Although most terminal patients and their loved ones have to make peace with illness and death, the “Death with Dignity” mentality completely overlooks the fact that there are several new treatments and medical breakthroughs on the horizon. This anti-Life philosophy robs patients of any hope to hold onto, and puts them in a dangerous mindset when contemplating issues of Life and death.

“Death with Dignity” strips away the value of human life. Under this system, if you are sick, elderly, or disabled it is argued that you offer no value to society. Every Life has value, and people should not be forced to end their lives because they see themselves as a burden to their families and society.

Pro-Life organizations and activists must continue to bring to light all issues surrounding assisted suicide. The Pro-Life movement is built around the concept of protecting the Sanctity of Life and defending the weak among us, and this includes those who are being manipulated and bullied into killing themselves.

The danger of 'dying with dignity' | Texas Right to Life (http://www.texasrighttolife.com/a/773/The-danger-of-dying-with-dignity#.VFexkGNkxI0)

onthestrip
11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Rick Santorum must be livid right now, that someone got to make their own decision on how they live and die...

It really is absurd how there are many, mostly religious, groups that fight this. There is no way that this could pass in Okla's legislature. Apparently god gave people free will but when this young girl in Oregon wants to use it, she, and the law that allows it, gets criticized

Not sure why so many people are prevented from showing as much compassion to themselves or loved ones as they can to their sick pets.

betts
11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
K
good for her. she shouldn't have to suffer. When I am faced with horrible decisions of putting down a pet I always tell myself that suffering is a human condition and that my animals shouldn't have to suffer and deserve a peaceful passing. and really we all deserve that in these types of cases in my opinion.

At the end of life, we frequently treat our pets better than our family members. I don't consider ending life a bit early if one has a terminal illness the business of anyone other than the owner of that body - nor do I consider it suicide. Suicide, to me, is ending life when there is still hope of a good outcome.

Many families, because of lack of understanding I hope, torture those they love with the "if one breathes and the heart beats no measure is too heroic" outlook.

jerrywall
11-03-2014, 12:16 PM
I hate the pet analogy, since I know of too many folks who've put their pets down to avoid the cost of the vet, or due to inconvenience...

FritterGirl
11-03-2014, 01:00 PM
We had a family friend many years ago who had a similar brain cancer to Brittany Maynard - glioblastoma multiforme. In essence, it is a serpentine-like tumor that is as aggressive as it is unruly. In the end, our friend was in excruciating pain and had lost the ability to communicate as well as had lost most bodily functions. We also had a family friend die of Huntington's Chorea, and I've recently gotten news of a colleague and friend who was recently diagnosed with the same. I cannot imagine going through my life with the full and vetted understanding of what will befall me physically and mentally when faced with either of these scenarios.

If that makes me "psychologically manipulated" as per the pro-life faction, then so be it. I would not and could not chose such a debilitating and undignified end to my own life than to endure needless suffering in the name of someone else's "god."

FritterGirl
11-03-2014, 01:02 PM
I hate the pet analogy, since I know of too many folks who've put their pets down to avoid the cost of the vet, or due to inconvenience...

You make a very valid point here. It's too often used for convenience. But on the whole, it seems, we treat our pets with more dignity by ending their own suffering than we do ourselves, or our fellow man.

Pete
11-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Right, but the difference is that people would have to give their consent and provide specific circumstances where this could happen.

This is the case now with DNR orders and very different to pets, who obviously have no say in their situation.

kelroy55
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM

In cases like that I wonder if they put the right one down.

Jeepnokc
11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
People should be able to live their lives and die on their own terms. My wife's grandmother (who is in otherwise great health) was just diagnosed with cancer. Possibly treatable but at 90 yrs of age and seeing what her husband went through treatment wise several years ago before he died of cancer, she has decided not to treat. She is living life on her own terms.