View Full Version : Norman says it will never release Mixon video

Questor
11-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Mixon video in limbo - Norman Transcript: News (http://www.normantranscript.com/news/mixon-video-in-limbo/article_f00c61b4-607e-11e4-bde4-d75345039a33.html)

kevinpate
11-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Well, unless of course they end up being ordered to do so.

In related news, the docket entry in the case, in which the defendant entered an Alford plea, reads thusly:

DSO: DEF APPEARS AND PLEA OF ALFORD PLEA, CT:1 1 YR D/S, JA 100, VCA 100, COI 45, C/C, 100 HR C/S, COGNITIVE BAHAVIOR COUNSELING, 991 A FEES, REST IF NECESSARY

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2180708&db=Cleveland

For those who do not read docketese:

Disposition Summary Order: The defendant appears and enters an Alford Plea on Count 1. The plea is accepted and the Court finds the Defendant guilty and announces a sentence of one year, but defers imposing the judgment and sentence of the court for one year. If the Defendant meets the terms and conditions of his probation, the court will dismiss the charge at the conclusion of the one year period. Defendant is ordered to pay a Judicial Assessment (aka a fine) of 100.00, a Victim Compensation Fund assessment of 100.00,: Cots of Incarceration of 40.00., Court Costs, Perform 100 hours of community service, undergo and complete cognitive behavior counseling, pat the the 22 OS 991A fees to the district attorney office and pay restitution if necessary.

(Another FYI: an Alford plea is one where the defendant does not admit guilt to the court, but instead acknowledges the evidence available to the State is likely to be sufficient that it would persuade the factfinder(s) of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Mel
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Seems kind of light to me.

BlackmoreRulz
11-01-2014, 04:08 PM
For those who do not read docketese:

: Cots of Incarceration of 40.00.

Dang, not only do they throw you in jail...but they charge you for the stay too??

BBatesokc
11-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Dang, not only do they throw you in jail...but they charge you for the stay too??

They also charge you for your prosecution (991 Fees). I assume this is DA supervised probation which simply means the DA's office collects $40/month from you and does absolutely zero supervision.

kevinpate
11-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Oh, I dunno Brian. Let a defendant fall a bit behind on the 991 fee and the DA office can get real interested, real fast, on monitoring the person's whereabouts and whether any other conditions are also running behind. :)

But yeah, if the person is doing what they agreed to do, and is not interested in receipts for payments, he or she can mail documentation and payment in and never lay eyes on anyone at the DA office after the initial signup.

It used to be someone would either get supervised probation OR DA supervision. Nowadays even if they end up with both a monthly probation officer visit and associated fee, there is still a 991 fee. It all adds up pretty fast these days for pretty much any offense above a simple seat belt violation.

BBatesokc
11-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Oh, I dunno Brian. Let a defendant fall a bit behind on the 991 fee and the DA office can get real interested, real fast, on monitoring the person's whereabouts and whether any other conditions are also running behind. :)

But yeah, if the person is doing what they agreed to do, and is not interested in receipts for payments, he or she can mail documentation and payment in and never lay eyes on anyone at the DA office after the initial signup.

It used to be someone would either get supervised probation OR DA supervision. Nowadays even if they end up with both a monthly probation officer visit and associated fee, there is still a 991 fee. It all adds up pretty fast these days for pretty much any offense above a simple seat belt violation.

The attorneys I work for highly advise paying all fees and costs up front so they never have to worry about it again. Yeah, I see administrative warrants (the only collection service that can actually get you arrested) all the time. Its a shame when an already expensive 'mistake' gets multiplied by X because someone misses a payment. It seems to be the only real thing our DA's offices really care about.

kevinpate
11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
If someone can afford to get it paid and out of their hair, definitely a good idea to do so.
I meet a lot of folks for whom that simply is not an option. What gets me is when I am reasonably sure someone can, but elects not to, and then gets stupid and misses payments. If their only failure is money, that's usually fixable, though at increased expense. Some folk though, they are their own worst enemy.