View Full Version : COOP reveals new 3.2 brews

bchris02
10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Oklahoma City brewery unveils low-point canned beers | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-brewery-unveils-low-point-canned-beers/article/5361296)

This is good news. Ever found yourself wanting beer and its Sunday or after 9PM? Now there is no need to settle for an Anheuser-Busch product that has simply been watered down to 3.2 ABV. I look forward to trying these to see if they really were able to pull off a low ABV without sacrificing flavor.

TheTravellers
10-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Oklahoma City brewery unveils low-point canned beers | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-brewery-unveils-low-point-canned-beers/article/5361296)

This is good news. Ever found yourself wanting beer and its Sunday or after 9PM? Now there is no need to settle for an Anheuser-Busch product that has simply been watered down to 3.2 ABV. I look forward to trying these to see if they really were able to pull off a low ABV without sacrificing flavor.

Maybe it's 'cos of my high tolerance, but I find 3.2 to be worthless (and yes, I drink beer to get a buzz, not just 'cos I like the taste, which I do), have to drink way too many and pee way too much to get to that sweet spot. And while COOP has some good beers, most of theirs are just too hoppy for me. :-( I do hope they work well and help to get people to stop drinking that rocky mountain goat p*ss that so many drink by the case here, though.

Mel
10-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Better than O'Doul's, you get all the fun of feeling bloated and p!ssy without that nasty buzz thingy. <this is meant as a joke.

It would be nice to have some kind of a good alternative to the mostly nasty, but cold, bear whizz beer they have at Quickie Mart.

Spartan
10-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Why bother?

This is a horrible idea, and I would have thought COOP to be above this.

kevinpate
10-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Why bother is simple. Money, money, money.

TheTravellers
10-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Why bother is simple. Money, money, money.

Yep, that's pretty much the only reason any companies do anything in America any more. :-( But yes, COOP does see an entry into a market they previously haven't "tapped", so they can sell their beer at grocery stores, 7-11s, etc., along with Mustang Brewing, who has created a 3.2 beer (or maybe more than one). They call them "session" beers, so you can drink 8-10 of them before getting a buzz, and they can sell more... I just have no desire to drink that many beers at a time, I don't like the taste *that* much.

onthestrip
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Why bother?

This is a horrible idea, and I would have thought COOP to be above this.

Probably because they realize the chances of changing any liquor laws soon is an unlikely thing. Its sad that it has to come to this. Why does Oklahoma hate freedom and consumer choice?

bchris02
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Anybody tried these? I have tried Briefcase Brown but haven't tried the others yet. In my opinion Briefcase Brown is a very good beer and is proof that low alcohol does not have to mean lack of taste. I look forward to trying the others and am happy that decent tasting beer can now be purchased from the grocery store.

Easy180
12-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Anybody tried these? I have tried Briefcase Brown but haven't tried the others yet. In my opinion Briefcase Brown is a very good beer and is proof that low alcohol does not have to mean lack of taste. I look forward to trying the others and am happy that decent tasting beer can now be purchased from the grocery store.

What grocery store was it in?

bchris02
12-09-2014, 06:00 PM
What grocery store was it in?

Homeland on 122nd and Rockwell. I've also seen them at Uptown Grocery in Edmond.

okclee
12-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Homeland 18th and Classen has the new Coop as well.

RadicalModerate
12-14-2014, 11:27 AM
I just picked up a Four-Pack of the Spare Rib at the local Buy For Less. What it lacks in body, it makes up for in taste . . . Especially if you like a hoppy, hoppy, hoppy brew. I'd buy this again. It was a dollar less than what I usually get (Dox XX Amber).

That being said, the other day, at Flip's I had the best all around brew I've ever tasted.
Anthem Urobourous Stout. They actually had it on tap. I was amazed in every sense of the word.

But this thread is about Coop 3.2. As I said: I'd buy this again. In fact, I'm interested in trying that other one "Negative Split" or whatever.

(btw: O'Doul's Amber tastes a lot better than Budweiser to me.)

Once again: What it lacks in body, it makes up for in taste. (and labeling.)
http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit,q_85,d_beer_def.gif/beer_295657.jpg

TheTravellers
12-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I just picked up a Four-Pack of the Spare Rib at the local Buy For Less. What it lacks in body, it makes up for in taste . . . Especially if you like a hoppy, hoppy, hoppy brew. I'd buy this again. It was a dollar less than what I usually get (Dox XX Amber).

That being said, the other day, at Flip's I had the best all around brew I've ever tasted.
Anthem Urobourous Stout. They actually had it on tap. I was amazed in every sense of the word.

But this thread is about Coop 3.2. As I said: I'd buy this again. In fact, I'm interested in trying that other one "Negative Split" or whatever.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit,q_85,d_beer_def.gif/beer_295657.jpg

RadMod, if you haven't already, you should try some of Prairie's brews (Prairie Bomb, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Noir, Pirate Bomb, Bible Belt, etc.), I like them better than the Anthem Stout (Anthem makes great brews, agreed)...

blangtang
12-16-2014, 11:58 PM

That grocery store version of Negative Split is listed at 3.7 % alc/vol. your pic for Spare Rib is 4 %. how come other "higher" point brews aren't in the grocery stores yet?

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 09:33 PM
I realize that this thread is about The Heresy of A Local Craft Brewery--specifically, COOP Ale Works--veering from its supposed or pre-conceived mission of providing fine finished products of The Brewer's Art--so I will apologize, in advance, for what follows. I have no axe to grind neither do I have a dog nor a chicken in this fight . .

I first enjoyed this, at Flip's, when I asked if they had a dark beer on tap.
And enjoyed it in a glass very much like this.
Except, as I said, from a tap rather than a can.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10868278_792158994164701_5630020617463277964_n.jpg ?oh=bf6638e4b432b4c74eee890d2564a1a8&oe=5504C190&__gda__=1426960038_778b2e3371b6cdbd728a5f2c2d5db09 a

Trust me on this: This brew is so overflowing with rich flavor, with a hint of sweetness, that you only want to enjoy one of them at a time. Perhaps why they are sold in a 4-Pack. With those cool, substantial-looking, can binders.

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 09:39 PM
They say, never judge a book by it's cover.
The same thing could apply to a brew by it's can.
So let's do an A/B comparison . . .
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10171232_792159234164677_8810836909898062716_n.jpg ?oh=88be3bdc1a87fc41bb32052b05f723b6&oe=5546D42E

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Especially bad is judging by only the front side of the can.
I was checking to be sure that "By Weight"/"By Volume" content
was properly displayed and duly noted. Apparently, it was.
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/l/t1.0-9/1779143_792159294164671_5696417899832697731_n.jpg? oh=09727faedd42448c065d85291cb15dd0&oe=553F6A1E

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 09:41 PM
The coolest part of all was exploring the "Proper Use" Instructions.
And the food pairings.
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10431473_792159364164664_7508675800881068575_n.jpg ?oh=94bcc0fd25e48254fc0ee15f55b66509&oe=550DC94F

I don't always drink beer . . . but when I do, I prefer beer that tastes good.
Regardless of where purchased or the so-called alcohol content.

RadicalModerate
12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Did I forget to mention the amazing non-juxtaposition of "Wind Powered" and a picture of an Anvil?
(On the can labeling?) COOP 3.2 ain't half as bad as some ^ might say it might be. =)

Edited to Add (for the sake of context, detail and authentic texture =):

The nice waiter/greeter/bartender at Flips, in response to my inquiry regarding the immediate availability of "something dark on tap?" replied, "Yes we have something from a local brewery . . ."

"Sounds great to me," I interrupted, "I'll have one of those."

After I enjoyed the meal (a nearly perfect pasta and seafood dish) shared in the company of my sweet wife and soulmate, on a very special afternoon, I just had to ask the waiter/bartender what that brew was.

The server replied, " . . . I know that I'm going to butcher the pronunciation . . . but I think it's 'You-Row-Bore-Ohs'".

To apologize for his mispronunciation (and in appreciation of my introduction to a good way to combine all of the basic components of The Brewers' Art, including CanSignage =):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

Making a 3.2 version of this beverage could be challenging.

Urbanized
12-19-2014, 07:11 AM
You're not going to be able to do a 3.2 stout. And I agree, Anthem does do a good job. Also Roughtail in MWC. I also like Prairie Artisan Ales a lot at times, though they can be wildly inconsistent.

Most of the other state breweries have been concentrating on watery switch beers, trying to dumb down beer for the Bud-swilling audience that dominates beer sales in the state. COOP for a long time was the standard-bearer for beer snobbery, going in the complete opposite direction and brewing complex and sophisticated flavor profiles. They assumed that there were a lot of people here who were either frustrated hop heads or who would easily develop a more sophisticated palate if only given a chance. They were right. It's really good now to see breweries like Roughtail and Anthem picking up the same flag and running with it.

As for the "heresy" of COOP brewing 3.2, I completely disagree. Their mission is to give as many people as possible a local beer option, AND to convert new people to drinking local. Considering the fact that by far the most package beer sold in this state comes from grocery and convenience stores - and that many drinkers either wouldn't think to buy beer at a liquor store or might not even have one in close proximity - 3.2 is the best way to reach many consumers. Besides that fact, it's also a good option for their regular customer if that person runs out of brew on a Sunday or during non-liquor store hours.

Also, by offering 3.2 it enables them to more easily support festivals with their beer trailer and fundraisers, etc., as rules are different for 3.2 in regards to discounts/free and the ability to sell to someone and let that person then take the beer outside of a controlled premises.

Plus, I honestly think they enjoyed the professional challenge of brewing 3.2 and keeping high-quality flavor profiles, which flies in the face of commonly-held notions.

Teo9969
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
That grocery store version of Negative Split is listed at 3.7 % alc/vol. your pic for Spare Rib is 4 %. how come other "higher" point brews aren't in the grocery stores yet?

by volume not by weight. You cannot sell a beer that is more than 3.2% Alcohol by weight in grocery stores, and neither the Negative Split nor Spare Rib are.

Dubya61
12-19-2014, 09:33 AM
I also like Prairie Artisan Ales a lot at times, though they can be wildly inconsistent.

That's good to hear, because I gave up on Prairie based on a six-pack (four?) I bought at the recommendation of a liquor store owner / representative for a local wheat beer. It was probably the ONLY wheat beer I've disliked. Good to hear that it may have been a bad representation of a local brewery.

bchris02
12-19-2014, 07:15 PM
by volume not by weight. You cannot sell a beer that is more than 3.2% Alcohol by weight in grocery stores, and neither the Negative Split nor Spare Rib are.

This is why it's so funny when people around here try to act like a Texas Bud Light gets them twice as drunk as an Oklahoma Bud Light. In Oklahoma it's actually 4.0 while in Texas it's usually somewhere between 4.0 and 5.0 for domestics. I hear people all the time say they have to drink two beers to have the same effect as one beer everywhere else and I try to tell them it's not true but a lot of times they don't believe me. That's not to say 3.2 beer doesn't matter - it does, it matters A LOT, but it's because of flavor and the way the big brewers modify their product to comply with the 3.2 beer law, not the buzz you get.

Easy180
12-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Just picked up two four packs at the Homeland at 104th & S Penn so us south siders have at least one location to try these out

I asked the cashier if they had sold very many and he said this is the first time I have seen these lol

pw405
12-20-2014, 03:55 PM
YES!!

Good thing about these is that bars can put them on happy hour discounts/etc!!

Very glad to have some local, quality, 3.2 options. Not a huge fan of 3.2, but primarily because I can't stand drinking Bud/Miller/Coors garbage.

RadicalModerate
12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Once upon a time . . . a long, long time ago . . . in a galaxy far, far away . . . I was a bartender.
I learned the difference between "Private Clubs", "Package Stores" and "Total B.S."
COOPs contribution to the cause merits consideration.
IMHO.

RadicalModerate
12-28-2014, 10:21 AM
So, we just picked up some odds and ends at the local Buy For Less. I'm not sure if it's an odd or and end but among whichever or whatever was a four pack of the Negative Split. I just opened one and poured it into a brandy snifter. I'm not a big fan of "flavored" beer but this stuff is definitely drinkable. The "flavoring" is just a hint of what the can says are "fruit flavored esters." It's got a "cloudy" wheat beer color that some may find off-putting, but that's their problem. It's refreshing and tasty. I'd buy it again. Even if it's just that wussy 3.2 stuff.

btw: the other day, at Homeland, I saw a four pack of what looked like some version of stout called "Briefcase". I'll have to give that a try as well. Eventually.

bchris02
12-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Briefcase Brown is easily my favorite of these beers. I really like the flavor.

Urbanized
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Briefcase Brown isn't a stout; it's a brown ale. Probably the best-known brown ale is Newcastle, but BB has considerably better flavor. It's not especially hops-forward, so should be palatable to even most casual beer drinkers.

ctchandler
12-28-2014, 11:26 AM
So, we just picked up some odds and ends at the local Buy For Less. I'm not sure if it's an odd or and end but among whichever or whatever was a four pack of the Negative Split. I just opened one and poured it into a brandy snifter. I'm not a big fan of "flavored" beer but this stuff is definitely drinkable. The "flavoring" is just a hint of what the can says are "fruit flavored esters." It's got a "cloudy" wheat beer color that some may find off-putting, but that's their problem. It's refreshing and tasty. I'd buy it again. Even if it's just that wussy 3.2 stuff.

btw: the other day, at Homeland, I saw a four pack of what looked like some version of stout called "Briefcase". I'll have to give that a try as well. Eventually.

RM,
Actually, it says "Fruit-forward esters", not "Fruit flavored esters". Even after googling it, I'm not sure what it is saying. I found this about wine - "Fruit forward is actually a term that describes the aroma of wine, rather than the taste of wine which is usually referred to in terms of its sweetness.". It makes sense to me because I really didn't catch that "hint" of flavoring you experienced. Of course aroma has a lot to do with taste. I bought a four pack and I'm not thrilled about the taste but it's okay. I need to try the Spare Rib that you mentioned in an earlier post.
C. T.

bchris02
12-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Getting a quality true Stout would be difficult at only 4.0 ABV. Breefcase Brown is a great brown ale though, much better than Newcastle in my opinion.

ctchandler
12-31-2014, 04:36 PM
RM,
Picked up a four pack of Coop's Spare Rib at the Buy For Less at Hefner and Penn today and I like it. For my taste, much better than the Negative Split.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
01-01-2015, 11:16 PM
RM,
Picked up a four pack of Coop's Spare Rib at the Buy For Less at Hefner and Penn today and I like it. For my taste, much better than the Negative Split.
C. T.

It is difficult to argue with that.
In any case, or four pack, it for sure isn't a stout.
It isn't even a brown ale for that matter.
I think Spare Rib wins.
CoopWise,
at 3.2

Urbanized
01-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Neither Spare Rib no Negative Split (the only beers mentioned in the post you responded to) claim to be brown ales.

ABryant
01-02-2015, 07:41 AM
I tried the Briefcase Brown and Spare rib. I will predicate this post by saying they are better than the normal grocery store swill we get in Oklahoma. I liked the brown, but I think a good Newcastle is more enjoyable to me. The Spare Rib was good too, but I am not a fan of hoppy beer. Still both good options. It is the back end of a holiday weekend so I will try the Negative Split soon.

ctchandler
01-02-2015, 09:33 AM
I tried the Briefcase Brown and Spare rib. I will predicate this post by saying they are better than the normal grocery store swill we get in Oklahoma. I liked the brown, but I think a good Newcastle is more enjoyable to me. The Spare Rib was good too, but I am not a fan of hoppy beer. Still both good options. It is the back end of a holiday weekend so I will try the Negative Split soon.

ABryant,
Where did you get the Briefcase Brown? I would like to try it.
C. T.

ctchandler
01-02-2015, 09:36 AM
ABryant,
Where did you get the Briefcase Brown? I would like to try it.
C. T.

ABryant,
Never mind, I went back a page and found out where to purchase it.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
01-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Although it really chaffs my ass to admit it . . . The 3.2 version of The Brewers' Art (as noted by MrUrbanityPionrreer) is, indeed, a briefcase brown ale. As compared to a formal stout. And, for that, I am thankful. Now: Back to the redux of seafood chowder ala Jacques n' John. (may I be excused, con su permiso?)

RadicalModerate
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Semi-Interesting Sidebar: While dining--and waiting to dine/get seated at the coolest pizza place on North Western (the Wedge)--my Grand Nephew (or whatever) on his way back to service in the vicinity of Wichita Falls selected two different versions of COOP products. I enjoyed the output of Anthem (Uroborous Stout)I was not required to provide proof of age. It tempered my annoyance at having to wait for a table.

TheTravellers
01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Semi-Interesting Sidebar: While dining--and waiting to dine/get seated at the coolest pizza place on North Western (the Wedge)--my Grand Nephew (or whatever) on his way back to service in the vicinity of Wichita Falls selected two different versions of COOP products. I enjoyed the output of Anthem (Uroborous Stout)I was not required to provide proof of age. It tempered my annoyance at having to wait for a table.

All the cans of Anthem I've had have been really good, haven't been able to try their bottled/tap stuff, though. One of their founders left recently, so hopefully they can keep on going with their normal plans they have after that speed bump...

TheTravellers
02-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Anybody know if Walgreen's or Cash Saver sells these?

bradh
02-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Haven't seen them at Walgreens. Super Bowl party planning didn't go well for ya? :)

TheTravellers
02-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Haven't seen them at Walgreens. Super Bowl party planning didn't go well for ya? :)

Don't watch football, and never buy beer from any place other than a liquor store, so not a problem for me. :cool: Brother apparently didn't plan and I didn't want to take my good beer to their get-together and have them drink it all.

bradh
02-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Smart

TheTravellers
02-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Turns out he got some kind of Bud and Miller Lite, but my aunt had gone to Uptown and bought some ltd edition bottled Coop (did not know they did bottles) - can't remember the name, but it was a Peach Berliner Weisse, not bad, very cloudy and tangy, so that was decent (along with a couple I brought of my own - Atwater Vanilla Java Porter and Santa Fe Brewing's Gold).

sooner88
02-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Will Coop discontinue their 3.2 beers after they can sell their full-strength in grocery stores, etc.?

dankrutka
02-07-2017, 01:47 PM
I live in DFW and the gas station across the street (which has an incredible selection of beers) carries four Coop beers. I often stop in and pick up a F5 or Horny Toad 6-pack. I keep asking for them to carry Elevator Wheat, but I think that's on Coop's end. Anyway, when I went in the other day, the owner sold me on some limited edition Coop stout they just got in. I remember when Coops started when I lived in OKC so it's cool how they've grown.

bchris02
02-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Will Coop discontinue their 3.2 beers after they can sell their full-strength in grocery stores, etc.?

Hopefully so. I don't see 3.2. beer having much of a market after the law goes into effect. Horny Toad and Elevator Wheat serve the "session beer" niche. The COOP 3.2 beers aren't very good, but it still beats 3.2 Bud products if you are out of beer and need it on a Sunday or on a weekday after 9PM.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
02-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Byrons has New Belgium beer now, not sure who else has it. I couldn't find the general beer thread.

baralheia
02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Byrons has New Belgium beer now, not sure who else has it. I couldn't find the general beer thread.

I saw an ad somewhere (Facebook, maybe? I don't remember) for Vice that showed New Belgium beers.

John
02-08-2017, 03:03 PM

If your store doesn't have it yet; you should probably look into switching liquor stores...

TheTravellers
02-09-2017, 11:08 AM

So liquor stores can have refrigerated beer *now* (can't remember the exact dates when everything went into effect)? Thought that was a bit in the future before that happened, and if it's not here yet, thought New Belgium *required* their beer be refrigerated from brewery to store.