View Full Version : Increasing Oklahoma City curb appeal

ChrisHayes
10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
One thing that I would really like to see, is an increase in the curb appeal of Oklahoma City. Especially to those driving through on 35, 40, 44, and the bypasses. Parts of the city are great looking, especially the north, but others could use some improvement. I'm not sure what could be done, but once the new high rises are being built and are up, that will help in the downtown area. Curb appeal is something that can really determine perception of people driving through the city. Most people's perception won't matter, but others will, such as business men, entrepreneurs, etc. Anyone got any ideas?

poe
10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Landscaping on either sides of freeways is something I always like to see. I also like the concrete murals cities have started integrating into highway retaining walls, sound barriers, etc. I think the more a city tries to improve its image, the more pride its citizens will have, which will help improve overall perception. OKC has done a great job so far, and I think the momentum will just keep going.

bchris02
10-28-2014, 06:38 PM
This has been discussed numerous times. OKC is kind of a gritty city. It took me a while to get used to it but over time I have come to appreciate it. Even so, I would like to see certain parts of OKC beautified and polished up. There are various things that hurt OKC in this area but rather than go through them, I am going to put out suggestions as to what should be done. Some of it are things OKC has already started doing but could do better.

1. Establish various "districts" throughout the inner core, each with themed ornamental streetlights, stoplights, etc.
2. All core neighborhoods of OKC should have sidewalks
3. Establish building codes in core districts that require new construction to meet a certain standard. This should also be extended to suburban areas.
4. Do something to encourage property owners to keep up their property or sell. Letting a building fall into neglect and disrepair can become a blight on an entire neighborhood.

SouthSide
10-28-2014, 08:46 PM
There needs to be a change to city codes. A lot of businesses along SW 59 have moved their dumpsters to the front of their buildings. I turned it in to the Action Center because I thought there was a city ordinance requiring them either to be at the back or screened. The City Action Center said there wasn't a violation. When I followed up with the council person, I was told that the ordinance didn't apply because the buildings predate the ordinance and there wasn't anything they could do.

Celebrator
10-28-2014, 09:25 PM
There needs to be a change to city codes. A lot of businesses along SW 59 have moved their dumpsters to the front of their buildings. I turned it in to the Action Center because I thought there was a city ordinance requiring them either to be at the back or screened. The City Action Center said there wasn't a violation. When I followed up with the council person, I was told that the ordinance didn't apply because the buildings predate the ordinance and there wasn't anything they could do.

Frustrating.

Celebrator
10-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Others have mentioned a long-serving OKC City official who did not much think trees were a good addition to require when new building took place. HUGE mistake. Trees soften the look of urban landscapes and we could use a lot of softening. All of the new development I have seen though, seems to have addressed this and twenty years from now we should start to see the benefits.

Eddie1
10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I think landscaping the major freeways is a very important step that would help show we care about our city. Simple, drought resistant vegetation would go a long way toward that "wow" effect.

At the same time sidewalks are a must. Still can't believe this city has such a paucity of sidewalks--kind of inexcusable, IMO.

Mel
10-28-2014, 11:41 PM
I like the use of native flowers and grasses and the murals are always pretty. really would like to see more sidewalks and better bike paths on the roads. I can not hear well and have bikes sneak up on me several times. Walking is good exercise if you can't do much else.

ChrisHayes
10-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Landscaping along the highways was something I had in mind as well. I don't know if anything can be done about it, but something that always stuck out at me along the highways going through the poorer neighborhoods was how so many people have trashy yards or their back yards just filled with out buildings, trash, or whatever. I think areas like that could use some decorative sound barriers.

Mike_M
10-29-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm on the bandwagon of landscaping in general. Adding sidewalks and forcing people to take care of their yards may take a solid decade or more, but I think the city could make a relatively inexpensive push for trees, flowers, and other vegetation along the highways and open spaces.

Urbanized
10-29-2014, 08:13 AM
There actually was a movement 15+ years ago to implement a comprehensive "viewscape" project in OKC, but it was largely shot down by City Council:

Group hopes street appeal paves city's way to success | News OK (http://newsok.com/group-hopes-street-appeal-paves-citys-way-to-success/article/2672540)

bchris02
10-29-2014, 08:49 AM
There actually was a movement 15+ years ago to implement a comprehensive "viewscape" project in OKC, but it was largely shot down by City Council:

Group hopes street appeal paves city's way to success | News OK (http://newsok.com/group-hopes-street-appeal-paves-citys-way-to-success/article/2672540)

I think that conversation should be restarted being that Oklahoma City and its city council are very different now than it was in 1999.

I think sound walls are cost-effective ways to make the interstates more attractive and should be erected in a few key corridors along I-40 and I-35. The place that needs it the most in my opinion is I-40 between the I-35/235 junction and where I-35 veers off going through NE OKC. Metro Atlanta has a ton of them lining Interstate 20.

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Group hopes street appeal paves city's way to success | News OK (http://newsok.com/group-hopes-street-appeal-paves-citys-way-to-success/article/2672540)that sucks.

Mel
10-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I had to do a bit of driving around today and I got to looking up and I really wish we had buried power lines.

ChrisHayes
10-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Buried power lines would work wonders. Not to mention be good for our ice storms

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2014, 10:23 PM
I had to do a bit of driving around today and I got to looking up and I really wish we had buried power lines.Don't even get me started on those. I hate these utility lines like a sickness. Every road project we do, should include burying the adjacent utility lines.

Mel
10-29-2014, 10:25 PM
We have a beautiful section of the sky and you can barely see it when you're in town. By that I mean away from the tall buildings.

Hondo1
11-06-2014, 12:29 PM
General maintenance, particularly along the interstates would provide an immediate improvement. I'm amazed how much debris accumulates along the sides of highways and median barriers. Rock and gravel, plastic bags, cans, bottles, road kill plus the wild grass and weeds growing through the cracks make a pretty bad impression. And it just stays and stays and stays. I've often wondered if this is the consequence of funding or just a management or cultural thing where ODOT and OKC simply don't think aesthetics along the roadways matter that much.

bradh
11-06-2014, 12:52 PM
whatever we do, don't give it some cheesy name like "Up with Trees"

bchris02
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
General maintenance, particularly along the interstates would provide an immediate improvement. I'm amazed how much debris accumulates along the sides of highways and median barriers. Rock and gravel, plastic bags, cans, bottles, road kill plus the wild grass and weeds growing through the cracks make a pretty bad impression. And it just stays and stays and stays. I've often wondered if this is the consequence of funding or just a management or cultural thing where ODOT and OKC simply don't think aesthetics along the roadways matter that much.

I think its a combination of both. Looking at OKC's historic building stock, there was a time when aesthetics mattered a great deal in this city. Then came the post-Pei era when everything was designed to only be functional and nobody care how ugly it looked. I think that trend was somewhat nationwide in the 1970s and 80s at least in this part of the country. Today nicer aesthetics are starting to make a comeback around here. In terms of the roadways, I stick to what I previously posted. Simple ornamental decorations along city streets and concrete sound barriers along the Interstates will go a long ways.

traxx
11-14-2014, 10:00 AM
whatever we do, don't give it some cheesy name like "Up with Trees"

Down with Blight?