View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

rezman
10-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Come November 2nd, it will once again be time to go around the house and place of business to return all the clocks to standard time. For years I've wondered why we continue this practice. Why don't we just leave Daylight Savings in place so we have the extra light during the summer, but also have some light in the evening during the winter, instead if it being dark by 5:30 ?.

Jim Kyle
10-28-2014, 05:54 AM
We tried that back in the 70s or so; parents didn't like their kindergarteners having to get on the school bus an hour before sunrise!

A better suggestion would be to just use UTC -- time zone Zebra, aka Greenwich Mean Time -- everywhere at all times. We could adjust to our working hours being 1400-2300 in this area instead of 8 to 5, just as easily as we now absorb the DT-ST changeover. At least some parts of the military have been using Zebra time for years.

ctchandler
10-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Come November 2nd, it will once again be time to go around the house and place of business to return all the clocks to standard time. For years I've wondered why we continue this practice. Why don't we just leave Daylight Savings in place so we have the extra light during the summer, but also have some light in the evening during the winter, instead if it being dark by 5:30 ?.

Rezman,
Just because I feel like being argumentative today, I thought I would pick at a nit with the title of this thread which should be "Daylight Saving Time", no "s".
C. T.

Jersey Boss
10-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Utah Might Get Rid Of Daylight Saving Time (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/utah-daylight-savings-time_n_5576233.html)

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah residents said Thursday that officials should reject daylight saving time and join Arizona and Hawaii as the only states that don't adjust their clocks.

Speaking at the first public forum on the topic, businessmen, parents and outdoor lovers cited reasons to do away with the practice. The meeting marked the biggest advance for a movement that has sprung forward and fallen back at the state Legislature since 1997.

Switching times "makes business more difficult" because it puts Utah out of step with neighboring Arizona for much of the year, said Joe Miller, who works in computer science.

Parents said they don't like to move clocks ahead, because it forces children to walk to school and bus stops in the dark. "That outweighs any inconvenience concern," said Adam Milner.

And a trail runner from Park City said changing times means his morning runs lose an hour of cool air. "Daylight saving time is truly not necessary," David Bennett said. "Let's leave the clocks alone."

Nations worldwide adopted the practice of daylight saving time during World War I to conserve resources.

In the U.S., Congress passed the first daylight saving time legislation in 1918. Nearly 50 years later, the federal Uniform Time Act put a national daylight saving time in effect from the last Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October. It was extended by a month in 2007.

States aren't required to take part. And U.S. territories don't observe the switch, including American Samoa, Guam and Puerto Rico.

Arizona rejected the practice in 1968 under pressure from business leaders. Hawaii, a former territory, has never observed daylight saving time

Plutonic Panda
10-28-2014, 12:45 PM
I think Oklahoma should not observe daylight saving time.

Stew
10-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I think Oklahoma should ditch standard time. Who needs sunlight in the morning? Not me I'll tell ya.

Plutonic Panda
10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
I think Oklahoma should ditch standard time. Who needs sunlight in the morning? Not me I'll tell ya.It allows me and the others like me to stay out longer. But, no one needs to know that.

oklip955
10-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I just wish they left the time alon,. Be it standard or daylight savings time. I just don't like gaining then loosing the sleep/work time outside. I would rather it be light later in the day rather then the morning.

RadicalModerate
10-29-2014, 03:33 PM
The Entire Concept of "Saving Daylight Time" is vaguely "M.C. Escherian" and. therefore. I am opposed to it. Uh . . . Maybe not so much . . . =)

Mel
10-29-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't usually get up until the sun is warm but going around setting clocks is a pain.

bchris02
10-29-2014, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't want to do standard time year round. I enjoy the sun being out until after 9PM during the summer. Like Jim Kyle said, keeping daylight time year round would mean that children would be waiting for the bus an hour before sunrise for most of the school year.

I wish it would go back to how it was before Bush changed it in the late 2000s. Daylight savings time was best when you spring forward the first week of April and fall back the first week of October, giving six months of each.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
this is funny

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1970740_10152113621213859_1832334931_n.jpg?oh=ad0e 657d74718641d0cfa589c3c9881b&oe=54D3625B