View Full Version : James Cooper takes on Ed Shadid for OKC Council Seat, Ward 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mkjeeves
12-29-2014, 03:49 PM
And to be fair, we had other councilmen say some dumb as hell things. James Greiner, for example, suggested he might be in favor of the rig because he was "pro-business." From other councilmen, silence is tantamount to consent on the issue.. or at least lack of leadership.

Of course the city leasing space for exploration isn't anything new. The huge catalyst was the very active group, Friends of Lake Hefner. Shadid was just present to speak at their microphone. Smart politically, but that doesn't make up for his attacks on MAPS.

There were a lot of individuals and groups involved. I didn't see any who were involved deserving more credit than others who were involved. It was grass roots facilitated by social media.

But yeah, Friends of Lake Hefner were involved, Ed was involved and others were not.

mkjeeves
12-30-2014, 07:19 AM
One other thing on that issue. It was said by at least a couple of people at the public meeting, (both Marsha Slaughter and Ed included, and reported later in the media,) that Pedestal had originally proposed drilling at Hefner in 2011; that there had been a public meeting on the issue in 2011 and the issue dropped following. Slaughter and perhaps others said there were maybe 100 people who attended that meeting.

Ed said on the bench outside the most recent meeting he was there then at that 2011 meeting opposing drilling.

I have the impression the only people who may have been notified at the time were the homeowners associations in the immediate area. I do know many people and several groups I'm involved with would have been in the same uproar then as this last time if they had known. I've looked and cannot find any reports in the media of the 2011 proposal or meeting dating in 2011. It's a dead issue for now, so it doesn't much matter other than forensics on how this city operates.

Urban Pioneer
01-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Looks like James and Ed have a new opponent.

Oklahoma City Council candidate has spotty city voting record | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-candidate-has-spotty-city-voting-record/article/5385060)

HOT ROD
01-21-2015, 03:50 PM
who apparently is immediately being trashed by the Oklahoman.

Urbanized
01-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Trashed? To me it's pretty fair for the media to point out when a candidate for local public office has not voted in a local election in at least a decade and a half. I mean seriously, what is with these people who refuse to participate in he local process for years suddenly deciding they have all of the answers on local issues?

jerrywall
01-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Worked for Shadid.

Celebrator
01-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Gotta give props to Shadid and Jemison for showing up to the Founders District (in Ward 2) Annual Neighborhood Association Meeting on Tuesday night.

catch22
01-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Here's a good video on the James for OKC Facebook page. I'm excited to see more from him.
https://vimeo.com/118063562

Pete
01-29-2015, 08:57 AM
James is clearly a sharp guy. It's good to see young, motivated people wanting to run for the council.

The election is only 5 weeks away for four of the 8 council seats.

These things are always very hard to predict... Will be very interesting to see what happens.

catch22
01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Here's a good video on the James for OKC Facebook page. I'm excited to see more from him.
https://vimeo.com/118063562

Here's a direct link, for iOS a users it may not appear streamlined in the post. https://vimeo.com/118063562

betts
02-02-2015, 04:36 PM
James Cooper Seeks To Unseat Shadid | The McCarville Report (http://mccarvillereport.com/archives/26484)

Here's an interesting piece from the McCarville report about James Cooper and his candidacy.

HOT ROD
02-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I wish OKC had a couple of 'at-large' council member seats like we do in Seattle. I honestly think Shadid would make a great 'at-large' council member in that his ideals tend to be a bit more wholistic/idealistic and this new guy James appears to be just what the urban core needs for specific representation/issues. Having at-large would encourage youth participation when they likely may not get a shot in the urban/dense wards they likely will live in.

If only there was an audience, it'd be nice to see if they could expand to 10 seats, 2 at large and 8 wards. ... I believe it would be a huge boost for OKC and have a counter to the Chamber club (nothing completely against them as they have done great things for OKC, but it would be nice to have a larger voice for the preservation and quality urban planning vis a vis the money boys).

HOT ROD
02-02-2015, 07:30 PM
oh, for those not in the know. At large council members don't belong to a specific ward (and therefore don't need to live in a particular ward) but do have equal say for the city as a whole.

The OKC mayor is more or less at-large when there's a tie, but I think he tends to go with one side (no doubt in order to maintain a working relationship/cohesion among the council) while if there were two more at-large there might be better opportunity for issues to be fully vetted with less pressure for those who want to still maintain common vision of the council.

Urban Pioneer
02-05-2015, 03:31 PM
I think those are pretty cool ideas Hot Rod.

CaptDave
02-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Came across this on Facebook today - pretty good story on Cooper's positions. I almost missed it because it is in the comment area though. I like his emphatic support of MAPS and all forms of transit. Should be an interesting race in Ward 2.

https://www.facebook.com/jamesforokc/photos/a.312447302287792.1073741828.299257353606787/339569776242211/?type=1

GaryOKC6
02-10-2015, 06:00 AM
I really like this guy. I have met him a couple of times. He has a great vision for okc and the brains to get something done. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=334227600109762&video_source=pages_finch_trailer After meeting him I got my checkbook out.

warreng88
02-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I like his take on ES and I could never put my finger on it, but the "No, because" is completely correct. Also, he is running a campaign where he is pointing out the differences between he and ES. Whereas for the mayoral campaign, ES only picked apart Mick and never made a stance of his own, just that he was against what the mayor was doing and wanted to be a mayor for the whole city citing no specifics. James is citing specifics and I respect that.

krisb
02-23-2015, 11:57 AM
"The idea that has been thrown out by a person or two in the mud of local politics that Shadid doesn’t somehow work well with people who oppose some of his ideas or who question his audacity to ask difficult questions of city administrators is simply NOT TRUE. Just talk to him or even argue with him about political ideas one time in person and that will become instantly clear....Ed Shadid speaks truth to power. People who speak truth to power will always encounter opposition and attacks. The fact Shadid has not only weathered these attacks with grace, fortitude and a soft yet powerful, articulate voice but has also won major victories in protecting the city’s water supply and the LGBT community absolutely means he deserves another term on the council."

Dr. Ed Shadid For OKC Ward 2 | Okie Funk: Notes From The Outback (http://okiefunk.com/node/1522)

betts
02-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Ed doesn't work well with people on the Council, that's patently obvious if you go to Council meetings. And sometimes he speaks the truth and sometimes he doesn't. He has accomplished very little of significance during his term in office, including the things I agree with him on. And sorry, but he jumped on a bandwagon that was already going to protect the city's water supply. That one was a slam dunk. He has forever earned my lifelong opposition for his dirty trick antics trying to stop the streetcar, but his inability to compromise and create a coalition has deprived him of any significant political power. His is a wasted seat, unless you're satisfied with someone who can call others to task and have absolutely nothing meaningful occur as a result.

krisb
02-23-2015, 01:26 PM
I was just sharing commentary from a respected UCO English professor and progressive blogger. Ed is a thoughtful listener and dynamic leader of "the people." There was no bandwagon against the water issue had he not made light of it. And If questioning fundamental assumptions of the streetcar means dirty tricks, then so be it. I think it's a dirty trick for most of the subcommittee to own property along future streetcar lines.

gopokes88
02-23-2015, 01:32 PM
"The idea that has been thrown out by a person or two in the mud of local politics that Shadid doesn’t somehow work well with people who oppose some of his ideas or who question his audacity to ask difficult questions of city administrators is simply NOT TRUE, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary just trust me guys. Just talk to him or even argue with him(we all know people who argue rather then discuss are team and consensus builders. Always.) about political ideas one time in person and that will become instantly clear....Ed Shadid yells the loudest. People who who constantly cause a fuss over nothing will always encounter opposition and attacks. The fact Shadid has not only weathered these attacks with grace (I actually don't know what this word means), fortitude and a soft (like a cactus) yet powerful, articulate voice but has also won major victories in protecting the city’s water supply and the LGBT community (well minus that one flyer when I ran for mayor, but you're stupid and forgot about that) absolutely means he deserves another term on the council, well in our opinion at least.

Dr. Ed Shadid For OKC Ward 2 | Okie Funk: Notes From The Outback (http://okiefunk.com/node/1522)

Just gonna make a few edits for accuracy here

betts
02-23-2015, 01:43 PM
I was just sharing commentary from a respected UCO English professor and progressive blogger. Ed is a thoughtful listener and dynamic leader of "the people." There was no bandwagon against the water issue had he not made light of it. And If questioning fundamental assumptions of the streetcar means dirty tricks, then so be it. I think it's a dirty trick for most of the subcommittee to own property along future streetcar lines.

I won't air Ed's dirty laundry here regarding the streetcar unless you would like me to. It is sufficient for me to say that some of the things he did were certainly questionably ethical. I do not own property on the streetcar line, and I actually spoke out against the line going through Deep Deuce, where I do live, as I did not think it was necessary. Steve Mason owns property on Broadway, but if anyone thinks the streetcar shouldn't go down Broadway I will question their knowledge of downtown and its surrounding environs. The route proposed by the streetcar subcommittee went by no one else's property but Steve's. The consultants changed our route and so you could say that a couple other members have interests that are near the line. But I challenge anyone to argue with a route that goes very near St. Anthony's, through Midtown and down Robinson past numerous housing complexes, past government offices, the new OCU law school, the Bombing Memorial, the Art Museum, City Hall, very near the Civic Center, one block from John Rex elementary, past the Myriad Gardens, to the new city park, past the Chesapeake Arena, the downtown library, the CBD, through Bricktown, past the ballpark, goes near the Hill and the Steelyard and passes by almost every downtown hotel was actually influenced by property ownership, as insignificant as it is.

catch22
02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Ed brings up many great points, on many subjects.

However, what good does it do when your fellow councilmen and councilwomen do not respect you, do not like you, and are unwilling to work with you because of the nasty campaigns and constant negativity you have thrown at the wall? He says the right words, they sound good. But the tone he uses, the constant negativity, and the constant Us vs. Them mentality he brings to the horseshoe is completely unproductive.

James Cooper seems to be on the same page on many issues. Walkability, Transit, Inner City improvements, and awareness and action on progressive issues. He is young and very intelligent. And he is incredibly upbeat and enthusiastic. We need someone like him desperately on city council. We need someone who will be respected, who can bring his ideas to light in a way that does not piss everyone off. Ed is completely outright disrespectful sometimes, in his demeanor and tone.

I've sat in council meetings where he tears into private citizens, who are proposing things. Either for their own neighborhood, or specific endeavors they are attempting. With very focused and negative responses grilling them as to why they are not concerned with walkability, or any other issue he feels is a problem. We truly need someone who will work with others, and is willing to compromise.

We (urbanists, progressives, young people) are not going to get our way every time. We must be willing to accept that. Compromise is not defeat, compromise is the result of two or more adults being mature and working towards the middle. At the same time, if we are willing to compromise, others may be willing to compromise to work with us on our issues. Ed is unwilling to compromise, and as a result no one will work with him on anything. He has completely exhausted all available political capital and has lost the respect of so many, he is worthless as a councilman.

I'm really pulling for James. He is sharp as a tack, and will be a refreshing breath of positive action from the Ward 2 chair.

David
02-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Just to make sure nobody is confused about this, what I highlighted in bold is a complete lie, right?

GaryOKC6
02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
"The idea that has been thrown out by a person or two in the mud of local politics that Shadid doesn’t somehow work well with people who oppose some of his ideas or who question his audacity to ask difficult questions of city administrators is simply NOT TRUE. Just talk to him or even argue with him about political ideas one time in person and that will become instantly clear....Ed Shadid speaks truth to power. People who speak truth to power will always encounter opposition and attacks. The fact Shadid has not only weathered these attacks with grace, fortitude and a soft yet powerful, articulate voice but has also won major victories in protecting the city’s water supply and the LGBT community absolutely means he deserves another term on the council."

I don't know what your smoking, maybe Ed shared with you. The water thing with Ed was a political ploy and did not fool many people, only those living in a bubble. MAPS has made okc what is today and compared to when MAPS started we have come a long way. Ed has tried every way he can to slow it down but thank God he can't stop the momentum. All of the Ed past supporters on my block are talking up James Cooper.

PhiAlpha
02-23-2015, 06:01 PM

You realize that before Ed had anything to do with the opposition... the stories on Pedestal's drilling permit application was already on every local news station, newspaper, and blog...right? People were already concerned about it and public meetings with the company had already been set up. I have no doubt that Ed brought more attention to it, but he had little to do with the Pedestal withdrawing their application. It wasn't even a situation where the city had to deny the application... Pedestal just withdrew because of the bad PR.

city
02-23-2015, 06:06 PM
His is a wasted seat, unless you're satisfied with someone who can call others to task and have absolutely nothing meaningful occur as a result.
Since I think Meg is a menace to her neighborhoods, where I live. I really appreciate Ed calling her to task. I certainly will root for him and vote for the Capital Hill opponent of Meg's.

PhiAlpha
02-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Since I think Meg is a menace to her neighborhoods, where I live. I really appreciate Ed calling her to task. I certainly will root for him and vote for the Capital Hill opponent of Meg's.

How so?

catch22
02-23-2015, 06:19 PM
How so?
I would also like to know this.

bradh
02-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Wait, is The water victory being claimed here the Pedestal thing? Haha, wow. I thought maybe he had done something for real about OKC's future water needs, not just hitching his wagon against something that stood little chance to pass anyhow

PhiAlpha
02-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Wait, is The water victory being claimed here the Pedestal thing? Haha, wow. I thought maybe he had done something for real about OKC's future water needs, not just hitching his wagon against something that stood little chance to pass anyhow

I thought it was...if I'm wrong someone please post otherwise.

SouthsideSooner
02-23-2015, 07:18 PM

This is a quote from the link that Krisb posted...

"Shadid’s immediate action leading up to and during that Dec. 18, 2014 evening is just one example of why he obviously deserves to be reelected to the Oklahoma City Council.

Can we say he single-handedly saved the city’s water supply? Well, actually, maybe we can, folks. He mobilized people and created awareness."

PhiAlpha
02-23-2015, 08:28 PM

There are definitely those of us here that are completely opposed to anything Ed Shadid plans to do politically in the future, but I think his supporters here, including you and Edgar, have succeeded in turning even more of us against him. Everything you post sounds like ideological nonsense (or in some cases outright lies) that came directly from Ed's campaign website or facebook page. I feel like you never actually respond to anyone's comments here.

soonerguru
02-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Go James!

gopokes88
02-23-2015, 09:45 PM
This is a quote from the link that Krisb posted...

"Shadid’s immediate action leading up to and during that Dec. 18, 2014 evening is just one example of why he obviously deserves to be reelected to the Oklahoma City Council.

Can we say he single-handedly saved the city’s water supply? Well, actually, maybe we can, folks. He mobilized people and created awareness."

File that in the #bringourgirlsback file. I raised awareness therefore I did something.

Jeepnokc
02-26-2015, 12:12 PM
I had a long conversation with James Cooper this morning and then he came by office to pick up a campaign contribution so I got to meet him in person. Sharp gentleman. We spoke of his desire for walkability and connecting the city with better functioning mass transit. Spoke quite a bit about transparency and making the city a little easier and streamlined for small businesses to succeed and prosper. The people of Ward 2 will be very lucky to have him as their next councilman.

JohnH_in_OKC
02-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Coming up Tuesday, March 3rd is our city council election. This thread thinks James Cooper should be elected. But, in my opinion, Rev. Major Jemison has run a better campaign thus far against my councilman Ed Shadid. Here's a story from the Oklahoma City Sentinel on all of the candidates: Ed Shadid faces three opponents in March 3 election for Ward 2 City Council | The City Sentinel (http://city-sentinel.com/2015/02/ed-shadid-faces-three-opponents-in-march-3-election-for-ward-2-city-council/)

Ed Shadid faces three opponents in March 3 election for Ward 2 City Council (http://city-sentinel.com/2015/02/ed-shadid-faces-three-opponents-in-march-3-election-for-ward-2-city-council/)

February 23, 2015
By Patrick B. McGuigan
Publisher

Council Member Dr. Ed Shadid is seeking a second term on the City Council, where he has been a passionate vote for accountability in use of public resources. He is being opposed by three opponents in the March 3 election, including Rev. Major L. Jemison, a well-known east side minister. The race is the most visible of three city council seats in contention.

Pastor Jemison presides over the flock at St. John Missionary Baptist Church, one of the most active congregations in Oklahoma City. The church operates St. John Christian Heritage Academy, a private school serving grades pre-K through six. He has served the church since 1984, when he joined the staff. He assumed leadership there in 2003.

Jemison led the Progressive Baptist National Convention in 2006. He studied at Harvard Divinity School, earning a Master’s degree in 1994.

In his campaign literature, Jemison says he is focused “on the issues that matter most.” He “wants to protect MAPS, invest in public safety, maintain our streets, enhance our schools and focus on economic development.” He contends those politics “will ensure we continue to add jobs and protect our neighborhoods, so that Oklahoma City keeps moving in the right direction.”

Jemison has support from some members of the City Chamber of Commerce. A leading campaign theme is “unity over divisiveness.” His campaign literature promises he will work “with all sides to accomplish what is best for Oklahoma City,” maintaining that “In the past four years” there has been “bitterness and divisiveness on the council. … Disagreements don’t have to become divisive.”

Jemison says he will support public safety improvements. Jemison contends Dr. Shadid “has called for undoing what the voters have passed” in the MAPS process. Jemison said in one campaign mailer, “We have experienced great progress in our city but we need the right leadership to ensure we continue moving in the right direction.”

As for Councilman Shadid, he has enjoyed support from police and fire associations throughout his time in office. He has become known for well-attended public forums on virtually every issue facing the community, including water policy, public safety, transit, health care, urban sprawl, and the economics of the convention center. One of his most recent sessions, held at The Tower Hotel ballroom on Northwest Highway, focused on “planOKC,” the city’s long-range planning process touching most of the foregoing issues.

Dr. Shadid’s predecessor as Ward 2 council member, Sam Bowman, is one of his best-known advocates. He defends Shadid’s record as “a proven leader.” bowman praised the public forums for bringing the community “together for public participating and deliberation of critical issues in a manner not seen in the modern history of the [city] council.” Bowman believes Shadid’s work “improved the outcome” of both the Boulevard and Lake Hefner drilling deliberations.

As Bowman pointed out in a Shadid campaign mailer, thousands of people have attended these sessions. Shadid himself has strongly encouraged increased citizen involvement, pointing to early stages of the bond issues voters will consider city-wide in 2017.

In a mailer that arrived at Ward 2 addresses last week, Shadid said he “will continue to give the people of Oklahoma City everything I have and intend to continue to achieve unprecedented levels of neighborhood organization, and public participation and deliberation in the municipal political process.”

Others in the election include James Cooper, who was a campaign manager last year, and John Riley, a teacher. Little has been seen or heard from Riley, while Cooper is positioning himself as “a positive progressive.” Cooper, an adjunct professor of English at the University of Central Oklahoma and Oklahoma City University, said, in a release early in his campaign, that Shadid has created “divisiveness and unnecessary conflict.”

Shadid drew strong support from progressives and some conservatives in his unsuccessful candidacy for mayor of Oklahoma City in 2014. His drive and determination in that race provoked higher-than-normal voter turnout, as he sought to defeat incumbent Mayor Mick Cornett. Cornett countered Shadid and won the race last spring.

In the Ward 2 race for this year, all the candidates except Riley participated in a candidate forum last week. The VOICE (Voices Organized in Civic Engagement) group co-sponsored the event.

If no contender receives an outright majority in the March 3 election, a runoff election will take place on April 7.

In Ward 6, incumbent Meg Salyer faces two opponents, Dario Alvarado and Bob Waldrop, in a race highlighted in last week’s editions of The City Sentinel.

In Ward 8, Steve Curry, John Alan Ederer and Mark Stonecipher want to replace Council member Pat Ryan, who did not seek reelection.

JohnH_in_OKC
02-28-2015, 12:06 AM
The Oklahoma City Sentinel also endorsed Councilman Ed Shadid. I do too. He's proven he's got the guts to oppose entrenched political and personal interests which sometimes try to put personal interests above the city's best interests (of course, that's nothing new). He's also smart as hell, put his own money out to educate our citizens in numerous public forums, and is a big advocate of making major improvements in OKC's bus system which is dear to my heart. OKC & Tulsa have two of the worst bus systems of all major American cities. I buy a 30 day bus ticket every year for fun, to save money during the summer, & to advocate for a better OKC bus system. I've only met Ed a couple of times (& even disagree with a few of his positions), but I know he's a great asset for Oklahoma City & our future.

Here's what the Oklahoma City Sentinel (http://city-sentinel.com/2015/02/the-city-sentinel-endorses-ed-shadid/) says in endorsing Councilman Ed Shadid:

The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid (The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid)

Signs of healthy political discourse are seen across Oklahoma City, where a total of 10 candidates are contending in three city council races.

For the open Ward 8 seat, three political newcomers are competing. This newspaper has no editorial preference among the contenders.

In Ward 6, incumbent Meg Salyer faces Dario Alvarado and Bob Waldrop. The leadership of The City Sentinel respects each of these individuals but makes no endorsement.

In Ward 2, The City Sentinel endorses incumbent Ed Shadid.

Dr. Shadid faces three opponents hoping to either defeat him outright or force an April 7 runoff. They are John Riley, James Cooper and Major L. Jemison.

Not much is known about Riley, while Cooper — a likable activist positioning himself as a “positive progressive” – could use a little more seasoning before assuming public office.

Pastor Jemison is a good man, a dedicated preacher and the respected sponsor of a fine school at St. John Missionary Baptist on the east side of our great city.

No doubt each of these challengers brings something positive to the table, and each of them is commended for running.

However, only one candidate has consistently and persistently raised concerns and asked reasonable questions about overuse of tax credits and special breaks for business. That one person is Ed Shadid.

Like David Dank in the state Legislature, Shadid is informed and passionate. He has kept his eyes on the prize, pressing to build a better place to live, and more equitable use of scarce taxpayer resources.

Some of us remember when Washington wags called U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn “Dr. No.” He earned that monicker for steady and unrelenting focus on debt and public spending. His inclination to vote no was a healthy counter to the spending mania in Washington.

During his tenure at the City Council, some have dubbed Ed Shadid “Mr. Negativity,” and in truth there have been times he was the only, or one of just a couple, opponents of one or another idea sustaining the concentration of resources on the downtown area, often at the expense of the rest of the city. His inclination to vote no on certain things forces needed clarity and focus in the process of city governance.

Yet, Shadid devotes herculean efforts to positive community-building, hosting forums that have engaged or re-engaged thousands of residents in policy development and debate.

Now, more than ever, the informed voice of the incumbent in Ward 2 is needed at City Hall. This is no sneering dismissal of others in the race, nor do we offer a single word of negativism about the other hopefuls. However, we are positive that Ed Shadid is the right one for the job.

City elections are, at least in theory, non-partisan. Citizens of these three wards should take the time to study the hopefuls and cast informed votes.

In Ward 2, The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid.

krisb
02-28-2015, 06:11 PM
File that in the #bringourgirlsback file. I raised awareness therefore I did something. See, that's the thing. Ed never takes credit for mobilizing people to speak their voice. His vision is for the people to share their collective voices and for those voices to be heard on a level playing field. You know, the whole democratic process that we supposedly have in this country when you take special interests and big money out of the mix.

zookeeper
02-28-2015, 06:14 PM
See, that's the thing. Ed never takes credit for mobilizing people to speak their voice. His vision is for the people to share their collective voices and for those voices to be heard on a level playing field. You know, the whole democratic process that we supposedly have in this country when you take special interests and big money out of the mix.

Exactly. Which is pretty limited when we exclude the big money - and we MUST give credit to those who mobilize the voices.
Too few have ever cared to mobilize the voices of anyone other than the donor class (at least in Oklahoma City).

GaryOKC6
03-01-2015, 06:47 AM
The Oklahoma City Sentinel also endorsed Councilman Ed Shadid. I do too. He's proven he's got the guts to oppose entrenched political and personal interests which sometimes try to put personal interests above the city's best interests (of course, that's nothing new). He's also smart as hell, put his own money out to educate our citizens in numerous public forums, and is a big advocate of making major improvements in OKC's bus system which is dear to my heart. OKC & Tulsa have two of the worst bus systems of all major American cities. I buy a 30 day bus ticket every year for fun, to save money during the summer, & to advocate for a better OKC bus system. I've only met Ed a couple of times (& even disagree with a few of his positions), but I know he's a great asset for Oklahoma City & our future.

Here's what the Oklahoma City Sentinel (http://city-sentinel.com/2015/02/the-city-sentinel-endorses-ed-shadid/) says in endorsing Councilman Ed Shadid:

The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid (The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid)

Signs of healthy political discourse are seen across Oklahoma City, where a total of 10 candidates are contending in three city council races.

For the open Ward 8 seat, three political newcomers are competing. This newspaper has no editorial preference among the contenders.

In Ward 6, incumbent Meg Salyer faces Dario Alvarado and Bob Waldrop. The leadership of The City Sentinel respects each of these individuals but makes no endorsement.

In Ward 2, The City Sentinel endorses incumbent Ed Shadid.

Dr. Shadid faces three opponents hoping to either defeat him outright or force an April 7 runoff. They are John Riley, James Cooper and Major L. Jemison.

Not much is known about Riley, while Cooper — a likable activist positioning himself as a “positive progressive” – could use a little more seasoning before assuming public office.

Pastor Jemison is a good man, a dedicated preacher and the respected sponsor of a fine school at St. John Missionary Baptist on the east side of our great city.

No doubt each of these challengers brings something positive to the table, and each of them is commended for running.

However, only one candidate has consistently and persistently raised concerns and asked reasonable questions about overuse of tax credits and special breaks for business. That one person is Ed Shadid.

Like David Dank in the state Legislature, Shadid is informed and passionate. He has kept his eyes on the prize, pressing to build a better place to live, and more equitable use of scarce taxpayer resources.

Some of us remember when Washington wags called U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn “Dr. No.” He earned that monicker for steady and unrelenting focus on debt and public spending. His inclination to vote no was a healthy counter to the spending mania in Washington.

During his tenure at the City Council, some have dubbed Ed Shadid “Mr. Negativity,” and in truth there have been times he was the only, or one of just a couple, opponents of one or another idea sustaining the concentration of resources on the downtown area, often at the expense of the rest of the city. His inclination to vote no on certain things forces needed clarity and focus in the process of city governance.

Yet, Shadid devotes herculean efforts to positive community-building, hosting forums that have engaged or re-engaged thousands of residents in policy development and debate.

Now, more than ever, the informed voice of the incumbent in Ward 2 is needed at City Hall. This is no sneering dismissal of others in the race, nor do we offer a single word of negativism about the other hopefuls. However, we are positive that Ed Shadid is the right one for the job.

City elections are, at least in theory, non-partisan. Citizens of these three wards should take the time to study the hopefuls and cast informed votes.

In Ward 2, The City Sentinel endorses Ed Shadid.
I did not know that they were even still around. The Sentinel was struggling and close to going under a few years ago. Glad they made it. I am not sure how much circulation they have or what impact they could have on the race.

betts
03-01-2015, 08:38 AM
I had a long conversation with James Cooper this morning and then he came by office to pick up a campaign contribution so I got to meet him in person. Sharp gentleman. We spoke of his desire for walkability and connecting the city with better functioning mass transit. Spoke quite a bit about transparency and making the city a little easier and streamlined for small businesses to succeed and prosper. The people of Ward 2 will be very lucky to have him as their next councilman.
That's my impression as well. He knows the issues and has a very pragmatic approach that I think is necessary in our political climate.

PhiAlpha
03-01-2015, 09:39 AM
See, that's the thing. Ed never takes credit for mobilizing people to speak their voice. His vision is for the people to share their collective voices and for those voices to be heard on a level playing field. You know, the whole democratic process that we supposedly have in this country when you take special interests and big money out of the mix.

Surprise surprise, more empty campaign rhetoric...

He doesn't need to take credit himself, Ed has plenty of people in his campaign to claim complete responsibility for things he didn't actually do.

So I take it this is the major difference between Ed and his opponents...I guess James Cooper wants to stop the democratic process and keep everyone's voices from being heard, right? Instead of ridiculous posts like this, why don't you explain to us why Ed, despite all his flaws and the embarrassment of a mayoral campaign he ran, would be a better fit than James Cooper to represent Ward 2.

BrettM2
03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Surprise surprise, more empty campaign rhetoric...

He doesn't need to take credit himself, Ed has plenty of people in his campaign to claim complete responsibility for things he didn't actually do.

So I take it this is the major difference between Ed and his opponents...I guess James Cooper wants to stop the democratic process and keep everyone's voices from being heard, right? Instead of ridiculous posts like this, why don't you explain to us why Ed, despite all his flaws and the embarrassment of a mayoral campaign he ran, would be a better fit than James Cooper to represent Ward 2.

Because he can't and/or won't. The only defense he gets here rests on two types: fluff or class warfare. That's it. Hopefully someone who can do great things will win this seat and become a positive force for the entire city.

PhiAlpha
03-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Because he can't and/or won't. The only defense he gets here rests on two types: fluff or class warfare. That's it. Hopefully someone who can do great things will win this seat and become a positive force for the entire city.

Per usual, he will likely not respond for a few days until he sees an opportunity to throw in some generic, vague language taken from Ed's facebook page and then disappear for another week when people respond to it.

Urban Pioneer
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I'd like to point out to John H, Krisb, and City that most of these public forums involve bringing in "experts" that reinforce Ed's own point of view. Having been involved in helping organize the OKC Boulevard forum and having met Jarrett Walker before the transit forum, I can personally assure you that the people and positions chosen are designed to reinforce Ed's personal opinions.

And while these events have been billed as Town Hall Forums, rarely if ever, are citizens who have attended allowed to speak or ask questions.

It think if you look at what actually happened within the forums, it is hard to argue that citizen's voices have been mobilized in any way... especially in a constructive way.

Regarding the bus system or other matters.... what is Ed's vision? How is he going to move this city forward? If he actually does have a vision, how is he going to get the votes to see it through?

These political guises by Ed remind me of an Oral Robert's Television Special.

Vote James Cooper. https://www.facebook.com/jamesforokc

OkieDave
03-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Time for talk is almost over, see how close you can get to predicting the outcome of the Ward 2 election and win a mealhttp://goo.gl/698ZBB: http://goo.gl/698ZBB

kevinpate
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM
I voted. But I voted what I think may happen, not what I might wish to happen.

Not being a pessimist, merely pragmatic. Free food be free food after all.

krisb
03-02-2015, 12:05 PM
There's a reason why respectable folks have dropped out of OKC Talk or only read posts without contributing. There is little tolerance for disagreement here. I share my opinions, you share yours. Why all the personal attacks and name-calling?

David
03-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Really?

That's not an opinion, it's a statement that is either true or false. Feel free to back it up if you can, but don't act like you are just sharing opinions.

betts
03-02-2015, 05:04 PM
J
There's a reason why respectable folks have dropped out of OKC Talk or only read posts without contributing. There is little tolerance for disagreement here. I share my opinions, you share yours. Why all the personal attacks and name-calling?

The names you were called are__________? I didn't know we ever had respectable people posting here ;). There is tolerance for disagreement if you call it your opinion or have hard facts to back up assertions. If you don't, you will be called out, it is true.

And, as far as the City Sentinel's comment that Cooper lacks "seasoning", I would like to point out that John Pettis, in his first term, is probably the best sitting Councilperson we have. He cares about his Ward rather than himself, and is incredibly proactive for his Ward and constituents. He's accomplished more in his short career than Ed could hope to. I see a lot of Pettis in James Cooper.

Urban Pioneer
03-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Why all the personal attacks and name-calling?

That's an old political tactic. When you can't keep up in a debate to accuse others of being attackers.

If Ed and his followers really wanted authentic public discourse, they would allow those in attendance to ask questions. Even better, have people with opposing viewpoints actually have Lincoln / Douglas style debates.

Again... we are presented with Oral Roberts evangelical spectacles and Ed and his supporters yelling that they are victims.

OkieDave
03-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Behold the irony..Speaking of old political tactics When you can't keep up in a debate.... Very few people were involved and picked the MAPS3 projects (I don't think the people who wanted improved transportation were thinking all it going into a couplet streetcar for downtown, and the convention center polled at the bottom, but gets the most money), the chamber does the marketing, the people only voted a ballot for capital expenditures not on any project. Ed organizes and spends his money hosting and bringing in top people on topics like, Sprawl, Health, Transportation, Walkability, Convention Center Economics, and more. Where was the "debate" when the MAPS3 projects were picked, according to council members of the time, they were not involved with picking the projects but had to rubberstamp them. Comparing Ed's efforts and service to bring balance as an "Oral Roberts evangelical spectacles" signals an irrational disconnect with reality and is the real weak political tactic.

jerrywall
03-02-2015, 10:30 PM
^^case in point...

Urban Pioneer
03-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Behold the irony..Speaking of old political tactics When you can't keep up in a debate.... Very few people were involved and picked the MAPS3 projects (I don't think the people who wanted improved transportation were thinking all it going into a couplet streetcar for downtown, and the convention center polled at the bottom, but gets the most money), the chamber does the marketing, the people only voted a ballot for capital expenditures not on any project. Ed organizes and spends his money hosting and bringing in top people on topics like, Sprawl, Health, Transportation, Walkability, Convention Center Economics, and more. Where was the "debate" when the MAPS3 projects were picked, according to council members of the time, they were not involved with picking the projects but had to rubberstamp them. Comparing Ed's efforts and service to bring balance as an "Oral Roberts evangelical spectacles" signals an irrational disconnect with reality and is the real weak political tactic.

I think you know very well that I can keep up in a debate. First of all, your assertions about the MAPS 3 streetcar are incorrect. We launched a very thorough public campaign to explain what our ambitions were and that the streetcar was the start to a greater and more comprehensive system. If the group of us that led that cause could have secured the billion dollars required to install comprehensive transit metro-wide, we would have done it.

And my comments about the Oral Roberts styled sorts of events are not entirely unfounded. Multiple news reporters have referred to Ed's events in the past as old fashioned revivals and described Ed as a preacher.

I don't consider events in which one doesn't have have the opportunity to communicate back as a participant as what Ed calls "A Town Hall Forum."

David, lets remind people that you virtually ran the campaign opposing the arena improvements which helped us obtain our NBA team. I got to see you verbally attack Roy Williams during a presentation in an Urban Neighbors meeting and be physically removed. You and Ed are virtually hooked at the hip. I think you have brought out the absolute worst in the man.

Its not that many of your arguments aren't grounded in some sort of reason, it is the way you go about attempting to implement change.

I support James Cooper because I want to see this city continue to move forward in a intellectual, progressive, but grounded way.

AP
03-03-2015, 07:33 AM
So thankful that soon this will be over.

bradh
03-03-2015, 07:46 AM

you love politics don't you?

OSUFan
03-03-2015, 07:49 AM

Not trying to sound like a jerk but these threads are clearly labeled and easy to ignore.

OSUFan
03-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Random thought that doesn't mean much. I received a mailer from Bob Waldrop that said too much money was being spent downtown. Now that may or may not be a valid concern but I thought it was funny since if elected Waldrop would actually be downtown's council person. Seems like an odd campaign tactic to advocate taking money out of your ward. Not sure I've seen that one before.

AP
03-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Not trying to sound like a jerk but these threads are clearly labeled and easy to ignore.

Fair enough. But when these aren't in the politics section it's a lot easier for this board to show it's ass to the public. Should we also include all of the politics threads in the 'Latest Posts' search or is there a reason Pete excluded those?