View Full Version : OKC Water Needs

Plutonic Panda
10-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Changes are needed. I'm not extremely educated on this matter, but I do think rates should be a little higher and shouldn't be fixed.

Oklahoma City's water supply continues to drop as warm, dry weather persists | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-water-supply-continues-to-drop-as-warm-dry-weather-persists/article/5360065)

ChrisHayes
10-27-2014, 07:49 PM
What we need are more man made lakes for resevoirs.

Plutonic Panda
10-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure how realistic or viable this is, but isn't there a process where they make the lake deeper? I think it's called trenching. Could they ever do that to lake Hefner? Make the lake much deeper so it will hold more water?

Bellaboo
10-27-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure how realistic or viable this is, but isn't there a process where they make the lake deeper? I think it's called trenching. Could they ever do that to lake Hefner? Make the lake much deeper so it will hold more water?

They've had a few chances to dredge or dig out the sediment from Hefner in the last few years, kind of wondered why they haven't. They've dredged the river over at Overholser more than once.

Mel
10-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Make lawns that look like a golf course green illegal. Waste of potable water. Or tax the heck out of people that desire lawns like that.

Filthy
10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Make lawns that look like a golf course green illegal. Waste of potable water. Or tax the heck out of people that desire lawns like that.

This is ignorant. If someone wants their yard to look like that, than they are already paying for the water usage.

Anonymous.
10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
This is ignorant. If someone wants their yard to look like that, than they are already paying for the water usage.

Yup. Make water more expensive. It is the only way to get people to change.

Tigerguy
10-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Yes, but those people with the perma-green lawns are usually of the demographic than can afford it with cash to spare, or they just don't give a damn that we're in a drought. We all pay for it when the reservoirs empty faster than they're filled.

Filthy
10-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Yup. Make water more expensive. It is the only way to get people to change.

I don't mind an increase across the board for everyone, but there shouldn't be a targeted increase ONLY for those who want nice lawns. They should charge the "lol poors," with the yellow/burnt yard just as much per gallon used, as they do the people who care about their yards enough to keep them looking boss.

Mel
10-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Higher prices for a basic need like water can put the pinch on families with lower income. You have to drink water, You have to have water to bathe, cook your food in etc. etc. You don't have to have a putting green for a yard. Surcharges after a certain amount of water usage could be a start.

Filthy
10-28-2014, 06:40 PM
You have to drink water

Do people really still drink water out of a faucet?

Paseofreak
10-28-2014, 06:47 PM

Heck yeah! OKC tap water was voted best tasting in the U.S. a year or two ago by a real public works association rather than some click-bait web page. Try it. I mean really taste it!

Bunty
10-29-2014, 10:37 AM
How practical would it be for OKC to build a pipeline to Kaw Lake, which is east of Ponca City? That lake doesn't get affected by drought much.

hoya
10-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Charging an increasing amount for higher water use would work. You don't want grandma to be unable to afford to get a drink. Don't care if Donovan Rutherford St. Damien III has to pay more to have his manicured lawn look perfect.

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Yes, but those people with the perma-green lawns are usually of the demographic than can afford it with cash to spare, or they just don't give a damn that we're in a drought. We all pay for it when the reservoirs empty faster than they're filled.I have a super green lawn that I water 6 times a week. So what. I WANT to have a super green and all of the tropical plants that I have and have to water extensively.

law
11-13-2014, 05:24 PM
How long before OKC wants to draw water from Canton Lake? Hefner is only 12,000 acre feet above the magic number of 40,000 acre feet, and Canton has 18,900 acre feet in the conservation pool. Much of that would be lost to the riverbed.

kevinpate
11-15-2014, 06:04 AM

Fortunately, the world has not yet reached the stage where it is necessary for everyone to have someone else pre-package the tap water.

ctchandler
11-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Filthy,
Yes, people do. None of my family members drink bottled water unless they are out doing things, traveling, school activities/sports. I do have a reverse osmosis filter, but that's necessary for my medical machines (oxygen concentrator and BPAP machine). Well, it's not necessary because I could purchase distilled water, but it's convenient. I have only bought bottled water when traveling and that's just a convenience so I don't have to stop to get a drink. By the way, I'm on a well.
C. T.

ljbab728
11-15-2014, 11:13 PM
That's just silly. Tap water in OKC is just fine. I have never purchased bottled water to drink here. If someone wants to that up to them but it really serves little purpose. I'm like CT as far as when I might use bottled water. I do buy distilled water to use in my clothes iron though, if that counts. LOL

catch22
11-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I always use tap water to drink. So do all restaurants.

venture
11-17-2014, 03:45 PM
I've moved to 100% bottled water due to something with the water in Norman that just irritates my stomach to no end. I'm just weird though. lol

kevinpate
11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I sort of drink bottled water. It's just mine tends to come heavily flavored and isn't called water as a result. Examples include, milk, soda, on rare occasion a beer or a glass of wine or 2-3 fingers of a desired spirit, neat.

Plutonic Panda
11-19-2014, 11:44 PM
OKC officials to fine for overuse of water in winter | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/okc-officials-to-fine-for-overuse-of-water-in-winter/29811422?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=koco+eyewitness+news+5)

td25er
11-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Higher prices for a basic need like water can put the pinch on families with lower income. You have to drink water, You have to have water to bathe, cook your food in etc. etc. You don't have to have a putting green for a yard. Surcharges after a certain amount of water usage could be a start.

Let's just force everybody to pave over their entire property. All parks and ball fields have to be turf. That'll be swell! DEATH TO PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR PROPERTY.

Geographer
11-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Or how about people just use natural grasses and native landscapes for their yards that are used to the NATURAL rainfall and environment in Oklahoma.....

Mel
11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Decades ago I can remember visiting my Grandparents in San Diego and many yards were attractive landscaping without water hungry grasses. Another step in the right direction would be a economical way to destroy and use the oil from the Eastern Red Cedar. They are a nuisance tree and suck way too much water out of our ground water.

Just the facts
11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Or how about people just use natural grasses and native landscapes for their yards that are used to the NATURAL rainfall and environment in Oklahoma.....

The only thing better than that is for the City to just stop permitting new homes with large yards. If someone wants a large yard let them buy one of the 300,000 existing large yard homes in metro-OKC. Sooner or later people are going to finally realize that there simply isn't enough water to go around.

Motley
11-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I live in San Diego and just about everyone is replacing at least some of their yard with rock and low-water ornamental bushes. Lots of artificial grass going in too. Over the past few years, I've seen a large increase in the use of crepe myrtles. In fact, I believe the city was giving away crepe myrtles a few years ago to replace water hungry trees.