View Full Version : Boswell, OK Newspaper

Prunepicker
10-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Maybe Jim Kyle and CT Chandler can help.

I was doing some research on Mulligan Flats and Sand Town. I recently met
a man who still lives in Mulligan Flats, around Reno and N. Villa.

From what I know Sand Town was primarily Black, but some White folk lived
there. The same goes for Mulligan Flats. Mulligan Flats was primarily White
but some Blacks lived there. I never once remember a race incident in that
part of the town. Maybe it was because they knew each other and their kids
went to school together.

I dated a girl who lived in Mulligan Flats. I never once questioned where she
lived. It wasn't important to me.

Most of today's youth can't fathom 6 people living in a 2 room house with only
1 bathroom. It was normal for the youth of my day. Hey, we were so rich that
Mom and Dad had their own toilet. Still, they needed to shower in the same
room as we did.

I'm feeling a little bit sick.

UnclePete
10-25-2014, 10:40 AM
We always called Sand Town the area just South of the RR tracks on Penn. One of my Dad's helpers in carpentry lived in a house where the walls were made of automobile batteries.

rezman
10-25-2014, 11:02 AM
When I was a kid, in an effort to make my brothers and I appreciate how good we really had it, my dad loaded us all up in the nice station wagon and took us on a tour all through Mulligan Flats... Both sides of Villa. I vividly remember sliding down in the seat and my dad telling us to sit up and look.

In the late 70's early 80's, my brother and another guy helped put a roof on someones house, replacing old tin and wood scraps. I remember him talking about some of the houses having dirt floors.

I also remember down on Penn, on the south bank of river was a place called Community Camp, which was basicly a shanty town.

trousers
10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
What's the connection between the Flats and Boswell OK?

Jim Kyle
10-27-2014, 09:23 PM
There was a similar area between Reno and the River, between Byers and Eastern, in the mid-50s when I was on the Oklahoman, At one time (probably '56 or '57) I did a feature story on the last residents of the old Community Camp area, which was just north of the river and between May and Agnew -- approximately where the original Sand Town was, according to history I've read on Doug Dawg's sites (incidentally does anyone know how Doug Loudenback is getting along? I've not seen him on line for almost a year now)...

Prunepicker
10-30-2014, 07:03 PM
What's the connection between the Flats and Boswell OK?
I apparently was starting another thread and this got my attention. I'll ask
Pete to change the title.

trousers
11-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Not a big deal...I've actually been to scenic Boswell a few times and was just wondering about the connection.

johnnywhip
11-10-2014, 09:01 PM
In the mid 60's I rode around in a State car with my Grandmother who worked for the State. She made house calls in all the above neighborhoods determining who qualified for commodities. I know there was much more but I remember the peanut butter, milk, and blocks of cheese. Those dirt floors made a lasting impression on me!

Prunepicker
11-11-2014, 07:04 PM
In the mid 60's I rode around in a State car with my Grandmother who worked for the
State. She made house calls in all the above neighborhoods determining who qualified
for commodities. I know there was much more but I remember the peanut butter, milk,
and blocks of cheese. Those dirt floors made a lasting impression on me!
I remember people getting commodities. The peanut butter and cheese were
fantastic. I believe the states would save money if they went back to that program.
It would insure families getting real food.

Here's the new thread

http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/39411-mulligan-flats-sand-town-similar-areas-okc-boswell-ok.html

Prunepicker
11-11-2014, 07:04 PM
The thread has been moved.
Thanks Pete.

http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/39411-mulligan-flats-sand-town-similar-areas-okc-boswell-ok.html