View Full Version : What do you think is the biggest waste of money?

Plutonic Panda
10-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Honestly for me, it's taking a car to get an oil change or wash. I do that myself with the only exception of my car being dirty(which I usually don't let happen) and I need to wash it quick. Very rare that happens. It has only happens about two times.

What do you think is the biggest of money?

Here is an article about it: A Look At What Americans Waste Money On - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/26839332/a-look-at-what-americans-waste-money-on)

Oh, and one more thing, I think organic food is a big waste of money.

Stew
10-22-2014, 04:21 AM
That's a tough choice. It's either the war on terrorism or the war on drugs. Eh, flip a coin.

Roger S
10-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Stew pretty much nailed it. I could probably think of a few more government functions that could be added to the list as well.

bradh
10-22-2014, 07:43 AM
i think the point was more about individuals, not the government

I used to say if you are able bodied then you should never waste money on paying someone to do your lawn, but I've had some time crunches this year and I've probably split the duties 50/50 with a neighbor HS kid (i at least try to support a young person doing things for himself)

Roger S
10-22-2014, 07:58 AM
i think the point was more about individuals, not the government

My individual tax dollars are funding the government and I'm not happy they are wasting it on those two "wars".

But if you want another option... Credit card and loan interest

stick47
10-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I'll take Dave Ramseys advice and say that if there's a way you can get by without it, don't buy it if you have to use credit.

ETA:
Opps! OKBBQ beat me to it.

RadicalModerate
10-22-2014, 08:04 AM
The difference in the amount of money long-time, loyal, Cox Communications subscribers have to pay compared to what "newbies" pay for exactly the same services.

Roger S
10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
ETA:
Opps! OKBBQ beat me to it.

LOL... Well technically we have the same time stamp.

kelroy55
10-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Politicians

Rajah
10-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Health insurance. I've paid for it since I started my first full time job and haven't been to the doctor since 2007.

jerrywall
10-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Honestly for me, it's taking a car to get an oil change or wash.

I can agree with most, but while I'll do my own oil changes because I like the control, I've found they're not really any cheaper than paying for it. 6 QTs of oil and a filter put me at close to $30 doing it myself, and that's cheap oil and filters. If I use synthetic and a better filter, I'm looking at $50-60. So it's six of one, 1/2 a dozen of another, if someone doesn't want to hassle with doing it themselves.

jerrywall
10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
The difference in the amount of money long-time, loyal, Cox Communications subscribers have to pay compared to what "newbies" pay for exactly the same services.

That seems to be an ongoing problem with all cable/internet providers. I tend to jump back and forth between Cox and Uverse every two years, to get onto the newbie deal.

Roger S
10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I can agree with most, but while I'll do my own oil changes because I like the control, I've found they're not really any cheaper than paying for it. 6 QTs of oil and a filter put me at close to $30 doing it myself, and that's cheap oil and filters. If I use synthetic and a better filter, I'm looking at $50-60. So it's six of one, 1/2 a dozen of another, if someone doesn't want to hassle with doing it themselves.

I get a coupon from my mechanic about every 3 months for $25 off. So my oil changes usually run about $5.... I don't think I can do it any cheaper than that.

Filthy
10-22-2014, 09:43 AM
There are so many different ways to waste money. Some would be considered necessities, while other things could definitely be cut out all together without much change to lifestyle. I don't personally think about a lot of them, but one that typically raises my eyebrows in my dry cleaning bill. It pisses me off, every time I drop off/pick up but I do so.....without much thought. But, looking back at statements its always $300-$400/month for the last several years. I've tried to cut down..but alas...I always fail.

And I'm fully capable of changing my own oil as well, as I enjoy working on cars....... but its so convenient to have someone else do it for me. I can drop my car off on my way to work...they provide a loaner vehicle at no additional cost to me. When I pick my car up later that day, it has been washed/vacuumed, and is ready to go. so, until something changes in that regards...its well worth it to me, to have someone change my oil.

stick47
10-22-2014, 10:35 AM
With most Americans, I'd say most of their money is wasted by buying new cars.

Drive Free. Retire Rich. (http://www.daveramsey.com/media/flash/elearning/drive-free/player.html)

Brownwood
10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Although I can change the oil, mow the lawn or do laundry, I hesitate to call it a waste because I'm knowingly paying for the convenience and time savings. I consider something a waste when I perceive getting less value than what was paid. Based on my definition, my Cox Cable bill is a waste. I don't feel like I get the value for what is paid and would "cut the cord" if not for live sports on ESPN and FOX. For the most part, I could take or leave cable programming and be fine with Netflix and HULU. The cost for COX as an ISP is in second place. Our family is reliant on an internet connection for work and school and I feel compelled to have it at almost any cost. Perhaps Google Fiber will make it's way to OKC soon.

TaoMaas
10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
middle management. Mostly, they only seem to get in the way of progress.

Richard at Remax
10-22-2014, 10:42 AM
gym memberships

and Starbucks and cigarettes too

turnpup
10-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Me sitting here in the middle of my workday reading and commenting on OKCTalk instead of doing billable hourly work. :)

Plutonic Panda
10-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I can agree with most, but while I'll do my own oil changes because I like the control, I've found they're not really any cheaper than paying for it. 6 QTs of oil and a filter put me at close to $30 doing it myself, and that's cheap oil and filters. If I use synthetic and a better filter, I'm looking at $50-60. So it's six of one, 1/2 a dozen of another, if someone doesn't want to hassle with doing it themselves.yeah.... the dealership at which I work, it's actually cheaper for us to take out cars to OKC Auto and have them change the oil than it is to do it ourselves. We send quite a few cars though.

Richard at Remax
10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
for some I would also throw in college. we all know people who spent a ton on college only to do nothing with their degree and have a mountain of student loan debt. Current total debt is around $850 Billion.

College isn't the answer for a lot of people. This is why I think they should encourage directional schools and trait schools in high school. just an example you don't need 4 years of college to become an electrician and you can make good money.

Motley
10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Looking back, I have wasted the most on new cars. I get the bug to buy one and then justify and rationalize the heck out of it until I get it. After a few years, I am yearning to go in another direction. The second was going somewhat overboard when remodeling the house. Don't really need Viking and Miele appliances.

OKCretro
10-23-2014, 02:02 PM
That's a tough choice. It's either the war on terrorism or the war on drugs. Eh, flip a coin.

How about the war on poverty? LBJ started the war, and its only gotten worse after trillions and trillions spent

FighttheGoodFight
10-23-2014, 02:10 PM
I remember reading that the total waste of spending really only comes in three areas military, healthcare and social security. Everything else is too small to notice if we cut.

I enjoyed that puzzle from the New York Times about balancing the budget. It was hard and I can see why people in power would be afraid to cut anything from health care, military or social security. They might as well lose all older generation votes.

OKCretro
10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

How about the war on poverty? LBJ started the war, and its only gotten worse after trillions and trillions spent

kelroy55
10-23-2014, 02:12 PM

I don't think of it as a waste of money and I believe it could have been managed better but it was a government program...........

A recent study from economists at Columbia broke down changes in poverty before and after the government gets involved in the form of taxes and transfers, and found that, when you take government intervention into account, poverty is down considerably from 1967 to 2012, from 26 percent to 16 percent:

In fact, without government programs, poverty would have actually increased over the period in question. Government action is literally the only reason we have less poverty in 2012 than we did in 1967.

What's more, we can directly attribute this to programs created or expanded during the war on poverty. In 2012, food stamps (since renamed Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP) alone kept 4 million people out of poverty:

Much more at Everything you need to know about the war on poverty - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-war-on-poverty/)

OKCretro
10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
so since it was a gov't program we should expect corruption, wasteful spending and mismanagement?

I hold the gov't more accountable than just to say, "its just the gov't being the gov't"

kelroy55
10-23-2014, 02:38 PM
so since it was a gov't program we should expect corruption, wasteful spending and mismanagement?

I hold the gov't more accountable than just to say, "its just the gov't being the gov't"

I don't believe I said anything about corruption did I? Government programs have a history of wasteful spending and often times mismanaged and no that should not happen but it does, the DoD is a good example. Government should be held accountable but rarely is.

ctchandler
10-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I remember reading that the total waste of spending really only comes in three areas military, healthcare and social security. Everything else is too small to notice if we cut.

I enjoyed that puzzle from the New York Times about balancing the budget. It was hard and I can see why people in power would be afraid to cut anything from health care, military or social security. They might as well lose all older generation votes.

FighttheGoodFight,
Please explain to me how Social Security is a big "waste" of money. My late wife and I paid in excess of $200,000 and our companys matched that and there is no way I will ever get that amount back. If the money wasn't going into the general fund, and was at least drawing money market interest, the system wouldn't be in the shape it's in. Please don't blame me for simply wanting an average return, or at least what I paid in to the system. The massive debt is due to congress that spends the money intended for Social Security on pork.
C. T.

TaoMaas
10-24-2014, 06:07 AM
I'm going to re-submit my vote for middle management. Some are good...but most are bad. I believe that it's the biggest stumbling block to America re-asserting it's dominance in the production of consumer products. We have too many people in the middle who are simply trying to cover their ass...as opposed to doing what's best for the overall product.

ctchandler
10-24-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm going to re-submit my vote for middle management. Some are good...but most are bad. I believe that it's the biggest stumbling block to America re-asserting it's dominance in the production of consumer products. We have too many people in the middle who are simply trying to cover their ass...as opposed to doing what's best for the overall product.

TaoMaas,
What is your definition of "Middle Management"? Just wondering. I'm not really sure what it is, project leaders (supervisors), managers, directors, vice presidents (I assume that vps are upper management).
C. T.

FighttheGoodFight
10-24-2014, 01:56 PM
FighttheGoodFight,
Please explain to me how Social Security is a big "waste" of money. My late wife and I paid in excess of $200,000 and our companys matched that and there is no way I will ever get that amount back. If the money wasn't going into the general fund, and was at least drawing money market interest, the system wouldn't be in the shape it's in. Please don't blame me for simply wanting an average return, or at least what I paid in to the system. The massive debt is due to congress that spends the money intended for Social Security on pork.
C. T.

I apologize as I feel I wrote that incorrectly. I do not think that military, social security or healthcare are wastes of spending. I meant to say that they are the three largest areas that would make a balanced budget possible if cut in certain ways. Wasteful no. In need of future reform Yes.

My mistake C.T.

Bellaboo
10-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Food. Food is not cheap; we cook too much, eat too much and throw too much away. At least that's my experience.

Bullbear
10-24-2014, 03:09 PM
10 Commandment monuments on capital grounds :p

ctchandler
10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I apologize as I feel I wrote that incorrectly. I do not think that military, social security or healthcare are wastes of spending. I meant to say that they are the three largest areas that would make a balanced budget possible if cut in certain ways. Wasteful no. In need of future reform Yes.

My mistake C.T.

FighttheGoodFight,
Personally, I don't believe Social Security should have been implemented. And I feel the same Medicare/Medicaid (added in 1966) and as far as I know, my Social Security contributions didn't go up, and how about the COLA? Since 1975, a COLA has been applied and as a contributing member, I didn't pay anymore for it. Then, along came Medicare part "D", another thing I didn't pay for. You can't continue to add options/benefits without increasing the cost of participating. They did however, lower the tax for SS by 1.45 percent and created a line on my paycheck for Medicare and it was 1.45 percent (and my company's contribution was 1.45 percent as well).
C. T.

ctchandler
10-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Food. Food is not cheap; we cook too much, eat too much and throw too much away. At least that's my experience.

Bellaboo,
Just move to Seattle where a new law is going to tax/fine/penalize people that throw away more than 10 percent of their food. Don't ask me how they will know what 10 percent is.
C. T.

Mel
10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Bellaboo,
Just move to Seattle where a new law is going to tax/fine/penalize people that throw away more than 10 percent of their food. Don't ask me how they will know what 10 percent is.
C. T.

Garbage police. Have one officer ride on the back of every waste retrieval truck.

ctchandler
10-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Garbage police. Have one officer ride on the back of every waste retrieval truck.

Mel,
At least we are on topic, after all, garbage is waste isn't it? By the way, maybe Sid will chime in and validate/correct my understanding of what they are doing in Seattle. I did hear one interesting point, since the authorities are required to get a warrant to search your trash, how is the city going to search it for wasted food? Just wondering...
C. T.

ctchandler
10-24-2014, 05:13 PM
FighttheGoodFight,
Personally, I don't believe Social Security should have been implemented. And I feel the same Medicare/Medicaid (added in 1966) and as far as I know, my Social Security contributions didn't go up, and how about the COLA? Since 1975, a COLA has been applied and as a contributing member, I didn't pay anymore for it. Then, along came Medicare part "D", another thing I didn't pay for. You can't continue to add options/benefits without increasing the cost of participating. They did however, lower the tax for SS by 1.45 percent and created a line on my paycheck for Medicare and it was 1.45 percent (and my company's contribution was 1.45 percent as well).
C. T.

I thought I would reply to my post and mention that as much as I disagree with the SS in general, I don't turn down anything they offer. I'm not "totally" stupid. I tried to prepare for retirement and one thing I was certain I would have to pay for is medications, well, George W. gets a law passed to assist me in my substantial medication bills. I don't turn down the COLAs either and of course, I my wife and I did contribute a lot of money to SS, so I/we earned it, and welcome it. If SS hadn't been here, I would have prepared for retirement by investing more than I did in things like IRAs and private investments. By the way, this is not political, I just believe people should be responsible for their retirement and forced contributions by the government never did sit too well with me.
C. T.

turnpup
10-25-2014, 11:59 AM
I thought I would reply to my post and mention that as much as I disagree with the SS in general, I don't turn down anything they offer. I'm not "totally" stupid. I tried to prepare for retirement and one thing I was certain I would have to pay for is medications, well, George W. gets a law passed to assist me in my substantial medication bills. I don't turn down the COLAs either and of course, I my wife and I did contribute a lot of money to SS, so I/we earned it, and welcome it. If SS hadn't been here, I would have prepared for retirement by investing more than I did in things like IRAs and private investments. By the way, this is not political, I just believe people should be responsible for their retirement and forced contributions by the government never did sit too well with me.
C. T.

Remember, CT, that is YOUR money. You're not being given, in the sense of a gift or charity, anything at all. You worked all those years and that money was withheld from your check. Your employers were required to keep back and pay in an equal amount on your behalf. It's yours, free and clear. It's a shame we can't get back all we paid in, and that we can't get a return on our investment. I won't be eligible for many years, and wonder what the state of affairs will be like when it's my time.

ctchandler
10-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Remember, CT, that is YOUR money. You're not being given, in the sense of a gift or charity, anything at all. You worked all those years and that money was withheld from your check. Your employers were required to keep back and pay in an equal amount on your behalf. It's yours, free and clear. It's a shame we can't get back all we paid in, and that we can't get a return on our investment. I won't be eligible for many years, and wonder what the state of affairs will be like when it's my time.

Turnpup,
I totally agree, I just disagree with the concept of money taken out of my check for "my own good". I realize I paid it in, and it's mine and I have a right to it as long as I live, but that same amount of money invested would allow me to leave anything left to my sons when I die. However, I didn't pay for the COLAs, the prescription drug (Medicare part D) and really, I didn't pay for Medicare at all, they just allocate a portion of the Social Security deduction to Medicare.
C. T.

turnpup
10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Right there with ya. But that's what the government does best. Stuff for "our own good" and all.