View Full Version : $4.00 a gallon coming

Dungeon Master
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Consumers can expect retail gas prices to rise to $4 a gallon soon but whether they stay there depends on the long-term damage to oil facilities from Hurricane Katrina, oil and gas analysts said Wednesday.
"There's no question gas will hit $4 a gallon," Ben Brockwell, director of pricing at the Oil Price Information Service, said. "The question is how high will it go and how long will it last?"
OPIS tracks wholesale and retail oil prices and provides pricing information for AAA's daily reports on fuel prices.

Brockwell said with gasoline prices now exceeding $3 a gallon before even reaching the wholesale level, it "doesn't take a genius" to expect retail prices to hit $4 a gallon soon.

"Consumers haven't seen the worst of it yet," Brockwell said.

He expects consumers in the Southeast and Northeast to be pinched first, following the impact of Hurricane Katrina on the Gulf Coast region.

Now for the good news. I saved a bunch of money on my insurance by switching to....
Bicycling for transportation

PUGalicious
08-31-2005, 11:12 AM
More good news.

Faith
09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
More good news.

This is crazy. Has gas ever been this expensive here before? Not to my knowledge but I have only been driving for 9 years.

mranderson
09-02-2005, 03:56 PM
This is crazy. Has gas ever been this expensive here before? Not to my knowledge but I have only been driving for 9 years.

No.

bandnerd
09-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Actually, when you adjust for inflation, gas has been $3.00 and higher in the past 100 years, mostly during WWI and after WWII. However, they didn't stay that way for too long and there weren't as many people driving and dealing with a shortage like we appear to be now.

But $4 is quite a lot...however, when one thinks about how bottled water is $1 for about a 20oz bottle, and they figure out how many 20oz bottles make up a gallon, well, we're paying more for bottled water.

Moral: Drink less bottled water and save money for gas ;) Or get a Vespa.

windowphobe
09-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Be grateful you don't run on DeskJet printer ink: it runs close to $7000 a gallon.

bandnerd
09-02-2005, 05:44 PM
lol

floater
09-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Jesus Christ (forgive me), if ever there was a time to argue for the expansion of public transportation options, this is the time. I thought at $3/gallon, people would start looking at alternatives. But it's gone up so quickly, I don't see people changing their commuting habits anytime soon. When will the madness end? When will it dawn on people that driving for 30 minutes by yourself in a car does not come at no cost?