View Full Version : Development that will make Dallas and KC Jealous?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

gopokes88
02-11-2015, 10:52 PM
If it is a soccer stadium downtown than that's awesome. I think the powers that be are gravely underestimating the draw it would be. Especially since the MLS season doesn't clash with football season and has minor interference with NBA. The demand for good quality entertainment in this city is very high. In this sports obsessed state/city it wouldn't surprise me if a 10,000 seat stadium sold out every single game.

Proof is in the thunder pudding.

warreng88
02-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Taft is nice, but in a weird location. No entertainment around, parking will be a nightmare, people might have an issue with going to evening games around May & NW 23rd, limited alcohol sales (not sure if that would be an issue, but it is a High School stadium), forced to work around school schedules. There could be reasons to try to move sooner than later.

Not sure what you mean about parking. It is right across the street from NW Classen High School which has a monster parking lot. People parked across the street from Bishp[ McGuiness all the time. If what you are saying is true, people would have to park south of Reno and cross to get to the new stadium.

Also, be careful when you talk about the area around there. There are multiple people on this board who live in the surrounding area that can attest to the increasing value of homes and "gentrification" of it.

soonerguru
02-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Taft is nice, but in a weird location. No entertainment around, parking will be a nightmare, people might have an issue with going to evening games around May & NW 23rd, limited alcohol sales (not sure if that would be an issue, but it is a High School stadium), forced to work around school schedules. There could be reasons to try to move sooner than later.

In 2014 they mentioned 3-4 years while already doing construction on Taft, so let's say opening game in March for either 2017 or 2018.

Now it is 2015 and still sounds like stuff is in the planing stage for both the stadium with the 5 locations they were considering and/or the lot on California. So possible announcement sometime later this year, let's pretent Q3 2015. 6 more months to finish plans, get approval, other paperwork would put them in Q1 2016. One year to construct would put them Q1 2017 ready for opening game of the season in March. Even if there is a year in delays it would still put them within their original timeline.

Why? That is a nice area of town. Some people need to get out more and stop cocooning themselves in their homes like frightened turtles.

Bullbear
02-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Haha I had no idea NW 23rd and May was so sketchy that people don't wanna come here..lol
having owned a home very near here for 13 years i'd say its not a bad area of town at all.

Mr. Cotter
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Yeah... you guys can all walk over to my house for a beer after a game. Assuming you aren't murdered along the way, I think you'd have a good time!

d-usa
02-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I used to live right on 23rd and never had a problem. But some people hear NW 23rd and they have a different idea about the area. Didn't mean any offense by repeating concerns others have had.

Mr. Cotter
02-12-2015, 12:31 PM
I know. I'm just having fun.

Seriously though, the games being at Taft will actually get me to go. I'm not really a soccer guy, but I think it will be fun to go to a professional(ish) level game basically in the neighborhood.

warreng88
02-12-2015, 12:53 PM
I used to live right on 23rd and never had a problem. But some people hear NW 23rd and they have a different idea about the area. Didn't mean any offense by repeating concerns others have had.

I read the post as you have a problem with people at 23rd and May and you are saying there is a perception of that area, which I agree with. I tell people where I live and I get a flinch a couple of times but when they actually see my house, it is a different story.

AP
02-12-2015, 01:00 PM
There was someone in the Energy thread that made a joke about the area reminding opposing players of Nicaragua. I've been over there multiple times and never really felt unsafe. Maybe I'm just not seeing it...

bradh
02-12-2015, 01:03 PM
it's not bad, and you certainly won't be bothered if you're among a big crowd of fans walking to/from a parking lot

OSUFan
02-12-2015, 02:37 PM
If 23rd and May scares you than most places outside of Edmond/Nichols Hills in OKC are going to scare you. Maybe it is because I lived in the area but I'm not so sure I wouldn't be more concerned for my safety in Bricktown than Taft Stadium.

traxx
02-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Great work d-usa. That is the one thing that has been mentioned that does work for all the hints that have been put out there. Just about every other guess has either contradicted one or more of Steve's hints or has been totally absurd. It is also within scope.
This also contradicts one of Steve's hints. The main hint. That it would make Dallas and KC jealous. I really don't think a soccer stadium is going to make either metro jealous. I mean, Dallas has a $1 billion football stadium. How is a 7K seat minor league soccer stadium supposed to make them jealous?

Steve said that some people were getting their hopes far too high about this project.

Probably because he made the statement that it'd make Dallas and KC jealous. You can't make a statement like that and expect people to take it lightly.

OkiePoke
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM
This also contradicts one of Steve's hints. The main hint. That it would make Dallas and KC jealous. I really don't think a soccer stadium is going to make either metro jealous. I mean, Dallas has a $1 billion football stadium. How is a 7K seat minor league soccer stadium supposed to make them jealous?

Probably because he made the statement that it'd make Dallas and KC jealous. You can't make a statement like that and expect people to take it lightly.

Dallas doesn't have a 1 billion dollar stadium. Arlington does. About a 30 minute drive from Dallas. I believe the point the poster was making was neither KC or Dallas has a stadium in downtown. Would this make some people jealous that though wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes to a stadium? Yes. The entire city? No.

ShadowStrings
02-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Maybe we are taking the word "jealous" too seriously. Some words have stronger connotations than others, and I know Steve chooses his words carefully, but isn't it possible that Steve didn't intend to give as much weight to that word as many on here are inferring? Clearly, most people in Dallas and Kansas City wouldn't be jealous of this soccer stadium, but a downtown soccer stadium is something that many people in these cities would rather have than a stadium out in the burbs. They may not be jealous of our stadium, but jealous of the idea of their soccer stadium being in a better location.

If you forget everything about you have already heard about this rumor, and you were told that we were building a new soccer stadium in Bricktown, might you have had the thought that, "Hey, that's cool. Not even Dallas or Kansas City has their MLS stadiums downtown."? Maybe "jealous" is too strong of a word to describe that thought, but that could be the extent of the jealousy Steve referred to.

I think we are looking too hard for some crazy insane unrealistic idea that nobody could possibly imagine. I would be thrilled if there was actually something so great in the works that everyone in Dallas and KC would be jealous, but I don't see that happening. I have no idea if the soccer stadium is the rumored project, but it is the most realistic idea I have heard so far. If we take our expectations down a notch, I think this idea satisfies all the supporting comments made about this project up to this point, as was outlined earlier. People shouldn't be so quick to write off this idea solely because it wouldn't make the entire populations of Dallas and Kansas City jealous.

Stickman
02-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Maybe we are taking the word "jealous" too seriously. Some words have stronger connotations than others, and I know Steve chooses his words carefully, but isn't it possible that Steve didn't intend to give as much weight to that word as many on here are inferring? Clearly, most people in Dallas and Kansas City wouldn't be jealous of this soccer stadium, but a downtown soccer stadium is something that many people in these cities would rather have than a stadium out in the burbs. They may not be jealous of our stadium, but jealous of the idea of their soccer stadium being in a better location.

If you forget everything about you have already heard about this rumor, and you were told that we were building a new soccer stadium in Bricktown, might you have had the thought that, "Hey, that's cool. Not even Dallas or Kansas City has their MLS stadiums downtown."? Maybe "jealous" is too strong of a word to describe that thought, but that could be the extent of the jealousy Steve referred to.

I think we are looking too hard for some crazy insane unrealistic idea that nobody could possibly imagine. I would be thrilled if there was actually something so great in the works that everyone in Dallas and KC would be jealous, but I don't see that happening. I have no idea if the soccer stadium is the rumored project, but it is the most realistic idea I have heard so far. If we take our expectations down a notch, I think this idea satisfies all the supporting comments made about this project up to this point, as was outlined earlier. People shouldn't be so quick to write off this idea solely because it wouldn't make the entire populations of Dallas and Kansas City jealous.

KANSAS CITY, Mo.: Kansas City still must subsidize entertainment district | Business | NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/02/08/4541149/kansas-city-still-must-subsidize.html)
Maybe talking about our many entertainment districts downtown, or close by. Also how Maps has made everything debt free. This is just a guess of course.

Plutonic Panda
02-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Dallas doesn't have a 1 billion dollar stadium. Arlington does. About a 30 minute drive from Dallas. I believe the point the poster was making was neither KC or Dallas has a stadium in downtown. Would this make some people jealous that though wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes to a stadium? Yes. The entire city? No.its still part of th city. When I think of city, I think of the metro area. I doubt Steve was just referring to OKC proper. If Edmond got what it was he was hinting at, why would a location downtown make the other cities jealous when we already have it in the metro?

adaniel
02-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Maybe we are taking the word "jealous" too seriously. Some words have stronger connotations than others, and I know Steve chooses his words carefully, but isn't it possible that Steve didn't intend to give as much weight to that word as many on here are inferring?

Its both possible and likely. Although in defense to Steve, it was a simple expression and only on this board (and just a few posters at that) did it blow it up into this ridiculous standard. It was so idiotic...I've held my tongue as people has parsed out possible scenarios..."Will this or that make Dallas jealous" as if an entire city will somehow care what OKC does. How old are we again, people? I'm sure Steve ever regrets saying that.

But now that I've gotten that off my chest, this soccer stadium deal has legs and I would be pumped if it happened. Going back (but only for a second) to Dallas, it was a big catch for Frisco to land then-Pizza Hut Park. FC Dallas was still Dallas Burn and played at the Cotton Bowl. Dallas in the early 2000s was noncommittal to any repairs to the Cotton Bowl and the Burn at one point played in a HS stadium. Frisco gave them a good deal and they bailed. The problem is the Frisco site is LAME with a lot of nothing around and its very inaccessible to the majority of the DFW metro area. I know FC Dallas had issues in the past with attendance, and even now with a much better club, it still is on the low end of Premiere League attendance.

So yes, a a DT soccer stadium is a very big deal (http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/why-the-future-of-major-league-soccer-is-downtown/382942/). I'm not a big soccer fan, but the stadium could easily be used for other purposes like concerts (Toyota Stadium hosts EdgeFest every year) and can host FB games as well. There's a big need for open fields in a more intimate setting, unlike Owen Field or Boone Pickens. And OKC can do it while spending half the cost of even a scaled down FB stadium.

Which brings me to my next point. What funding channels would be used? I know OKC is still a few years off from a bond election and its becoming a foregone conclusion that MAPS4 will be transit oriented.

hoya
02-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Why? That is a nice area of town. Some people need to get out more and stop cocooning themselves in their homes like frightened turtles.

It's a hell of a lot nicer than my neighborhood.

d-usa
02-12-2015, 08:42 PM
. Which brings me to my next point. What funding channels would be used? I know OKC is still a few years off from a bond election and its becoming a foregone conclusion that MAPS4 will be transit oriented.

That's why I think the drop in oil prices made things complicated. Without MAPS of a city partnership I think an energy sponsorship of the stadium would be most likely.

As far as the jealous thing goes I do think that "jealous" may be too strong of a word, but "that would be nice to have" could still be something that folks in KC or Dallas might be thinking if the secret project was a soccer stadium.

It wouldn't even just be the fact that the stadium is downtown, it would be everything else as well. You couldn't just watch a soccer game downtown, you are a 5 minute walk from the Peake and you pass a baseball stadium on the way! The whole family could come to Bricktown and the daughters could go to a concert at the arena whole Billie watches the soccer game with mom and dad watches the Dodgers. Imagine a downtown music festival with open air concerts at both the ballpark and the stadium!

Lots of wishful thinking there, but a 7,000 seat stadium downtown would be so much more when you take the whole Brocktown package into consideration.

Stickman
02-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Seven thousand won't do it. It would be a waste of time and money for anything less than 17k seats. With the demographics changing at an unprecedented rate professional soccer is inevitable. Would have to be included in the next Maps vote. Lots of places downtown like between Western and Exchange just N. of I-40. Can anybody else think of other places.......like the new park?

BTW : I'm not a fan of soccer but I can read the handwriting on the wall.

Urbanized
02-13-2015, 08:26 AM
The development Steve was referring to was not a soccer stadium.

Stickman
02-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Oh I know. Just responding to a couple of entries. Sorry for straying from topic.
:ot:

Bellaboo
02-13-2015, 08:38 AM
The development Steve was referring to was not a soccer stadium.

Are you sure about this ?

traxx
02-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Dallas doesn't have a 1 billion dollar stadium. Arlington does. About a 30 minute drive from Dallas. I believe the point the poster was making was neither KC or Dallas has a stadium in downtown. Would this make some people jealous that though wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes to a stadium? Yes. The entire city? No.

Notice I said metro. I didn't say Dallas city proper. Arlington is a part of the Dallas metro. You're splitting hairs.

As for the thought that maybe Steve didn't mean for the word jealous to have as much emphasis or that he regrets saying it, he's a writer. There's no excuse. When you write for a living you pick your words on purpose to clearly communicate a message and a meaning. It's not like he called someone ugly in the heat of an argument and later regretted it. It's that he, a professional writer, chose these exact words to convey what he was saying. If he didn't truly mean it, then he should've never written it. Everything else is just making an excuse for a professional writer who should know the meanings, conotations, and impact of words.

soondoc
02-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I would be all for this DT soccer stadium with the following conditions. It must be built to eventually land and MLS team which is not at all unreasonable. OKC is a good soccer city and so is Tulsa. It must be built with a minimum MLS standard capacity, which I would assume to be around 20,000 people. It needs to be large enough host outside concerts and venues. This really could be an amazing thing for DT but it can't be done on the cheap or scaled down to 7,000 people or it is just a waste of time.

d-usa
02-13-2015, 09:14 AM
If the planning is done right they do have the option to build a USL level stadium that can be expanded to an MLS stadium down the road. There is really no reason to build a 7,000 seat stadium now only to turn around and then build a 20,000 seat stadium in a decade. That is similar to the approach the San Antonio team is taking with Toyota Field:

Better picture: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tQNYaI5qi5Q/UE3aOZwG4XI/AAAAAAAAA-c/Jvne5GKkKSo/s1600/4-Phases-ScorpionsStadium.png

And it's actually not an idea that would be new for a city that has a history of building something for what we have, but building it in a way so that it can be expanded later if we get what we want and expansion could be funded by MAPS X - The Mappening. *looks over at the Peake*

The only real question for expanding a 7,000 stadium in that location would be the room though, so that casts some doubt.

soondoc
02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I mean this with no disrespect but a 7,000 seat stadium is worthless. The above picture is not impressive in the least. We have high school football stadiums in this state with bigger capacities. Believe me, OKC is a worthy MLS city and they will most likely expand soon. If we have this new stadium that impresses them, I think we will be in serious contention to land a team. If they expand and we say, "we can add on to our stadium", that is not the same thing. Tulsa once supported an NASL team that is the equivilent if not better than the current MLS and did "extremely well". That leauge oozed with all stars coming over to play and I spent many nights watching them play as a child as we had season tickets. Oklahoma really supports soccer better than most actually realize. OKC would have a MUCH easier path to land an MLS team than they did getting an NBA team. Do you think they won't be looking at how the city supports the Thunder and see the potential in this market. It's a sports crazed town and hungry for more. Please do not cheap out and scale this down to a size that small and if you do, please do it in the suburbs instead of DT.

Laramie
02-13-2015, 10:20 AM
I mean this with no disrespect but a 7,000 seat stadium is worthless. The above picture is not impressive in the least. We have high school football stadiums in this state with bigger capacities. Believe me, OKC is a worthy MLS city and they will most likely expand soon. If we have this new stadium that impresses them, I think we will be in serious contention to land a team. If they expand and we say, "we can add on to our stadium", that is not the same thing. Tulsa once supported an NASL team that is the equivilent if not better than the current MLS and did "extremely well". That leauge oozed with all stars coming over to play and I spent many nights watching them play as a child as we had season tickets. Oklahoma really supports soccer better than most actually realize. OKC would have a MUCH easier path to land an MLS team than they did getting an NBA team. Do you think they won't be looking at how the city supports the Thunder and see the potential in this market. It's a sports crazed town and hungry for more. Please do not cheap out and scale this down to a size that small and if you do, please do it in the suburbs instead of DT.

MLS is looking for cities with name-recognition, they want to expand their footprint--OKC's geographic location is ideal. The Thunder has brought OKC to that level. OKC Energy should partner with the city; build a 20,000 seat stadium downtown for MAPS 4 (2017). It could be used for other events like the OSSAA 6A high school football playoffs and outdoor concerts.

d-usa
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Some better pictures of what Toyota Field would look like if they go through with the planned 10,000 seat expansion to go from this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/TFWide.jpg/760px-TFWide.jpg

To this:

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/31/74/75/6803285/3/622x350.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/31/74/75/6803284/3/622x350.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/31/75/51/6806105/3/622x350.jpg

If Prodigal would offer to put build a 7,000 seat stadium that could be expanded like what San Antonio is doing, I wouldn't say no to that. But I do have doubts that there would be room for an expansion in that exact spot.

I just don't know if there is enough support for public funding for a MLS size soccer stadium at this point in this city, but maybe I'm just not giving us enough credit there. But if Prodigal and others think that the city is ready for a 20,000 seat stadium and want to skip the middle step and go full throttle towards a full stadium then I will indeed be pleasantly surprised. It could be a great center piece for Lower Bricktown maybe.

In the end I'm just a soccer fan that would be happy to have a wonderful stadium of any size to watch the game!

Laramie
02-13-2015, 07:01 PM
We need to do something because stadium construction is expensive as the years move on. It would cost a lost less to get a basic 20,000 seat structure built then add the bell & whistles later.

josh
02-13-2015, 10:12 PM
If the planning is done right they do have the option to build a USL level stadium that can be expanded to an MLS stadium down the road. There is really no reason to build a 7,000 seat stadium now only to turn around and then build a 20,000 seat stadium in a decade. That is similar to the approach the San Antonio team is taking with Toyota Field:

Better picture: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tQNYaI5qi5Q/UE3aOZwG4XI/AAAAAAAAA-c/Jvne5GKkKSo/s1600/4-Phases-ScorpionsStadium.png

And it's actually not an idea that would be new for a city that has a history of building something for what we have, but building it in a way so that it can be expanded later if we get what we want and expansion could be funded by MAPS X - The Mappening. *looks over at the Peake*

The only real question for expanding a 7,000 stadium in that location would be the room though, so that casts some doubt.

Those are actually old renderings of the planned expansion at TF.

The plans were revised as the Scorpions attempt to join the MLS.

These are the new.renderings for the future Toyota Field.

http://www.sascorpions.com/di/library/nasl_sanantonio_scorpions/f7/7d/toyota-field_1u5jg63x61kpo1nvstespvpw3i.jpg

blangtang
02-14-2015, 11:44 PM
When is Steve going to spill the beans?

I may have missed the timing, but I've only read the last 3 pages of this thread.

Urbanized
02-15-2015, 08:18 AM
There is no timeline. He said he would identify it when the project is official, or reveal what it was to be if the project dies. He said there are some market and other complexities that might be putting it at risk, but that for the time being it is still a possibility.

And yes, I am certain that it is not a soccer stadium.

Snowman
02-15-2015, 05:39 PM
If you have to advertise your fans to Belive! that hard, it seems like the team must be in bad shape.

Those are actually old renderings of the planned expansion at TF.

The plans were revised as the Scorpions attempt to join the MLS.

These are the new.renderings for the future Toyota Field.

http://www.sascorpions.com/di/library/nasl_sanantonio_scorpions/f7/7d/toyota-field_1u5jg63x61kpo1nvstespvpw3i.jpg

JAW
02-22-2015, 08:56 PM
The only thing that will make Dallas jealous would be a 925+ tall tower, which would surpass their Bank of America tower. If we built our own Space Needle/Gateway Arch-like tourist destination that was 1000 feet that may make Dallas jealous. Or Rand's Turbinomic Tower, even if "only" 600-700 feet or so tall. Maybe America's tallest statue (over 160 feet) or world's tallest statue (which would need to be 600 feet with the new Buddha China or India is building). A building lined with vertical gardening may be jawdropping as well.

Laramie
02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
The Devon Tower was initially planned for 925 feet - 54 stories before the development was downsized -4s to 844 feet. Dallas Bank of America Plaza stands 921 feet.

There were some posters on a site (see link below) that didn't believe the Devon Tower would be constructed; just imagine a skyscraper in OKC taller than any structure in Dallas? One poster called OKC a suburb of Dallas (LOL).

OKC Devon Energy Tower (925 ft, 54 st) (http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php/8153-OKC-Devon-Energy-Tower-(925-ft-54-st)?)

Optimism is high that we will see some kind of structure (building or space tower) constructed comparable to the Devon Tower prior to 2025.

bombermwc
02-23-2015, 07:52 AM
I think a lot of people around didn't think it would get built. They couldn't fathom how it could be built while their economies were tanking and that it would be in OKC. And lookie here, we're looking at building another 30 floors of expansion for them.

I like to think of the Devon as the big giant OKC Middle Finger to the rest of the country. SUCK IT! lol

soondoc
02-23-2015, 08:48 AM
I think a lot of people around didn't think it would get built. They couldn't fathom how it could be built while their economies were tanking and that it would be in OKC. And lookie here, we're looking at building another 30 floors of expansion for them.

I like to think of the Devon as the big giant OKC Middle Finger to the rest of the country. SUCK IT! lol

Good post, and true to an extent. An even more accurate statement is that it is also a big middle finger because it is surrounded by midgets and desperately needs some taller buildings to balance things out. I was in Tulsa over the weekend for a kids state wrestling tournament and absolutely loved their downtown at night. The buildings had awesome lighting, some very nice crown work and lights that accented and I had never really noticed it being like that before. Please, please OKC take some notes and do the same. Color me impressed with the way Tulsa brings to life those buildings and I give them kudos for that. I was looking at them while thinking of the Cotter Ranch and other buildings and was like things need to change in DT OKC in that area.

soondoc
02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Tulsa_Skyline_Night.jpg

This is an example but not as impressive as what I saw this weekend. I wish I had taken some pictures, I had no idea it looked that nice.

Zorba
02-23-2015, 10:20 AM

This is an example but not as impressive as what I saw this weekend. I wish I had taken some pictures, I had no idea it looked that nice.

The short one on the right with the really bright crown, used to to use different colored lights based on the weather forecast along time ago.

Urbanized
02-23-2015, 10:43 AM
...I was just posting an interesting topic and put it on 2 threads, not multiple ones...
Multiple - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiple)

Multiple adjective mul·ti·ple \ˈməl-tə-pəl\ : more than one

And while Rover's not the forum police, I suspect if they were here they would tell you to stop with the name calling and cut out the generally abusive tone of the post I just partially quoted.

soondoc
02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Multiple - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiple)

Multiple adjective mul·ti·ple \ˈməl-tə-pəl\ : more than one

And while Rover's not the forum police, I suspect if they were here they would tell you to stop with the name calling and cut out the generally abusive tone of the post I just partially quoted.

Thank you Urbanized, 2 can also be categorized as "a couple of threads" without giving the impression that I have several posts out there. No offense but that was a bit of over kill for me just posting a couple of thoughts on 2 threads. If anything, he really needed to just not state it that way or even at all because it when you think about it he is just being a "Richard" plain and simple. You can read between the lines on that one.

soondoc
02-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Also, telling someone to calm down who got a little too worked up about my thoughts on 2 posts is not an abusive tone. I said have another cup of coffee and a movie quote from "Stripes" when they say "calm down Franciss" to the guy who was a little too worked up. Geesh, that is a bit ridiculous to say that. I don't even see my previous post or Rover's, not sure what happened to it.

Rover
02-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I think if we could recreate Tulsa's skyline here in OKC, THAT would make Dallas and KC jealous.

There, I fixed the tie in and made the comments relevant. LOL

soondoc
02-23-2015, 01:06 PM
I think if we could recreate Tulsa's skyline here in OKC, THAT would make Dallas and KC jealous.

There, I fixed the tie in and made the comments relevant. LOL

Thank you "Richard". Like I said, I just posted it in a couple of threads. I am sorry it was not the best match and I shared a couple of thoughts. With all the people who get off topic on multiple threads, you really kind of overacted on this one. Anyway, with what you just said, I would like to see OKC do some of the lighting on the buildings like Tulsa does because it actually is quite nice. That was basically the intent of my posts- on all of those 2 threads.

JAW
02-23-2015, 01:07 PM
I hesitate to post this because I don't want what I think is a decent idea tainted by my inability to master Google Sketchup, but this is an idea I had, taking from the 1000 foot oil derrick tower that has been suggested in the past, with something that is (hopefully) a little more artistic. The idea is the Crosstown Tipi, an expressionistic, skeletal, curved/spiraled tipi that straddles the Oklahoma river and I-35. The height may be 750 feet, 1000 feet, 1250 feet, but have an obvious pronounced impact on the skyline, acting as our Space Needle/Gateway Arch/Calgary Tower. Build a modern technologically marvel based on a traditional habitat associated with our native heritage, playing off "Don't you all live in tipis?!?" stereotypes, while being a new tourist attraction.

However it is meant to be functional as well, as the poles will have escalators to lead to a platform for people to walk across both the river and I35 from the Boathouse District (and by extension, Bricktown) to the AICCM once completed. And any hopeful significant development on the southside of the OK River opposite the Boathouses. The lower platform could provide another place to watch regattas and other river activities. There would also be an additional observation deck 700 feet or so where the poles meet. Probably would be difficult to have stores or even a restaurant, but maybe a bar at the lower platform and travel advertisements for everything OK has to offer.

Someone with better art skills will be able to translate the concept better than I can and beautify it, making it more palatable to the skeptical. The five poles should curve more and pull into each other more, tightening in the center while still creating enough "gap" for the visual skeletal effect. The lower platform is too high. And the placement is imperfect, obviously, with one pole right in the middle of the southbound I35 (when its meant to take the space between the north and southbound paths) and another in the river itself. It's feasibility to build in reality would be a big challenge, obviously, construction over the busiest bridge in OKC, but really if that first platform can be built construction equipment can use it to build the elevation. I really don't think something like this would work in a field or park somewhere--it's functionality to provide a walking path from one destination to another is the justification for its existence.

soondoc
02-23-2015, 01:18 PM
I hesitate to post this because I don't want what I think is a decent idea tainted by my inability to master Google Sketchup, but this is an idea I had, taking from the 1000 foot oil derrick tower that has been suggested in the past, with something that is (hopefully) a little more artistic. The idea is the Crosstown Tipi, an expressionistic, skeletal, curved/spiraled tipi that straddles the Oklahoma river and I-35. The height may be 750 feet, 1000 feet, 1250 feet, but have an obvious pronounced impact on the skyline, acting as our Space Needle/Gateway Arch/Calgary Tower. Build a modern technologically marvel based on a traditional habitat associated with our native heritage, playing off "Don't you all live in tipis?!?" stereotypes, while being a new tourist attraction.

However it is meant to be functional as well, as the poles will have escalators to lead to a platform for people to walk across both the river and I35 from the Boathouse District (and by extension, Bricktown) to the AICCM once completed. And any hopeful significant development on the southside of the OK River opposite the Boathouses. The lower platform could provide another place to watch regattas and other river activities. There would also be an additional observation deck 700 feet or so where the poles meet. Probably would be difficult to have stores or even a restaurant, but maybe a bar at the lower platform and travel advertisements for everything OK has to offer.

Someone with better art skills will be able to translate the concept better than I can and beautify it, making it more palatable to the skeptical. The five poles should curve more and pull into each other more, tightening in the center while still creating enough "gap" for the visual skeletal effect. The lower platform is too high. And the placement is imperfect, obviously, with one pole right in the middle of the southbound I35 (when its meant to take the space between the north and southbound paths) and another in the river itself. It's feasibility to build in reality would be a big challenge, obviously, construction over the busiest bridge in OKC, but really if that first platform can be built construction equipment can use it to build the elevation. I really don't think something like this would work in a field or park somewhere--it's functionality to provide a walking path from one destination to another is the justification for its existence.

I could get on board with that. Anything that OKC does that says " I am more than just ok" I am all for. I actually like where you are going with that and I'm sure someone could come up with some really cool designs. It would be a unique landmark that people will identify with and make it ours as well as serve a purpose for those districts. I like the idea, maybe someone could take this and run with it.

Urbanized
02-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Thank you "Richard"...
Huh. "Richard"? Whatever could THAT mean? Is Rover's real name Richard? Or were just being "clever"?

bombermwc
02-24-2015, 07:43 AM

I guess its a matter of taste. I've always found Tulsa's downtown to be bland and boring. Its a very showbox-ish downtown with most of the buildings being the same white-faced international style structure with a few interesting things sprinkled in. Tulsa has historically had the height advantage and there's a long story to go with that which is still being played out today.

One thing you can say about OKC is that we have a wide variety of styles represented in our skyline. There really aren't any two that are the same. And we've done better and worse jobs at times, of lighting our downtown. Tulsa, like OKC, has some towers that slap some lighting around the top and call that it. In Tulsa 1st Place and West 7th are both examples of that along with OKC's Cotter Ranch. Its just the type of lighting I'm not impressed with....it does make an improvement but its still lipstick on the old pig.

Rover
02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Since this is now another Tulsa vs. OKC thread, I'll bite. Tulsa's skyline would be very average if not framed by the river. Almost every shot you see is long lens across the river. Since it sits inclined with a few trees, it makes a nice photo op. However, Tulsa isn't Vancouver, or even Calgary. And, I would argue that it isn't even OKC at this point, and surely won't be when we complete the Hines, Clayco, CC Hotel, 3 10 story hotels in Bricktown, and maybe even others. So, those who want to cling to Tulsa is better will have at most 3-4 more years before it is obvious to EVERYONE that it just isn't so. Probably isn't even now.

So, Dallas and KC might not be jealous, but I will be willing to bet Tulsa will be.

bchris02
02-24-2015, 10:09 AM
I really dislike Tulsa's downtown. They haven't had a skyline advantage since 2012 in my opinion. I do like the way their BOK tower is lighted and I agree with others that OKC could take some cues from that, but other than that, their skyline does nothing for me. That's not to say it isn't impressive for a metro area of under 1 million, but a lot of that can be contributed to height and their river setting rather than the impressiveness or the diversity of their buildings. Tulsa's strength is its neighborhoods and districts outside of the immediate downtown area. I also agree that anybody who wants to cling to the idea that Tulsa is better has about 4 more years to do it.

soondoc
02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Does anyone have any input or thoughts on JAWS idea on the Crosstown Tipi? It actually is intriguing and it would be unique to OKC and add to the skyline as well. I think someone could come up with a great design and it that it would be awesome.

bchris02
02-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Does anyone have any input or thoughts on JAWS idea on the Crosstown Tipi? It actually is intriguing and it would be unique to OKC and add to the skyline as well. I think someone could come up with a great design and it that it would be awesome.

I dislike it only because its too large. I would support a smaller version of it. I don't think something like that should be the tallest building in the city.

hoya
02-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't like it. Really gaudy. It needs to serve a purpose, and it doesn't.

Laramie
02-24-2015, 11:50 AM
I dislike it only because its too large. I would support a smaller version of it. I don't think something like that should be the tallest building in the city.

Good point Chris!

Something smaller but comparable to the size of the Devon Tower in the range of 850-1,000 feet--with a lighted observation deck that complements the Skydance Bridge. This would be more impressive that the St. Louis Gateway Arch.

Get something like this on 2017 MAPS IV projects.

TheTravellers
02-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Don't like it. Really gaudy. It needs to serve a purpose, and it doesn't.

Does the St. Louis Arch serve a purpose?

Laramie
02-24-2015, 12:07 PM

The St. Louis Arch is the gateway to the west.

A project (monument) of this magnitude could certainly be a game changer for Oklahoma City. An 800-feet version could probably be constructed in the price range of $100 million. It would serve as a midway or crossroads point of the United States (north, south, east & west).

Just the facts
02-24-2015, 12:10 PM

A memorial to the Louisiana Purchase.

betts
02-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I think I have read this thread in its entirety and, short of someone buying the Cotton Gin and converting it to some sort of high rise residential/mixed use with upscale shopping and dining on the ground floors, I really cannot envision anything that might even cause a flicker of notice from Kansas City or Dallas.

bombermwc
02-25-2015, 07:26 AM

I think the idea of an observation tower near downtown is a great idea. I don't particularly care for that design and as others have said, I feel its too large. It's an interesting idea to have it go over the river for sure. Over the highway isn't something id go for though. Only because it severely complicates future highway construction projects in an incredible way.

As far as it being a teepee, I don't really like that at all. That was only a structure used by nomadic groups and is really a stereotype that most tribes did not follow. I think I would rather see a derrick if we had to pick an object to scale up. Although a traditional "needle" structure would be fine with me too. Can you imagine if the Skydance was blown up about 1000% and had an observation deck...hahaha. Plop it over the river instead of the highway.

I've always been a fan of a push to construct a tower, I'm just not sure where I would put it. Definitely on the north side of the river, but bricktown, downtown, DD, where I just don't know. I feel like Bricktown would be the obvious place since it would be an attraction and so you'd want it in the foot traffic district.