View Full Version : Islamophobia is a-foot during Edmond's town hall meeting about Islam

Pages : [1] 2

Plutonic Panda
10-13-2014, 04:45 PM
lol. . . that's funny. Funny how this is controversial. I love that. The media can come out and deem things controversial before hardly anyone knows about them, and people will loose their minds because it must be controversial.

A representative of the Council on American-Islamic Relations told KOCO they feel Monday’s town hall will only spread “Islamophobia.”

Read more: Controversial town hall meeting on Islam to be held in Edmond | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/controversial-town-hall-meeting-on-islam-to-be-held-in-edmond/29083008#ixzz3G4GZBUT6)

Chadanth
10-13-2014, 04:55 PM
lol. . . that's funny. Funny how this is controversial. I love that. The media can come out and deem things controversial before hardly anyone knows about them, and people will loose their minds because it must be controversial.

Probably because it's a pretty easy assumption that Gaffney and Blair will bash Islam, Bennett has already made himself famous for doing so, and they're not going to allow the audience to challenge or question them. I'm all for being critical of Islam, and any religion for that matter, but it's better to engage.

Mel
10-13-2014, 05:00 PM
It's not polite to talk about the 500 lb. Gorilla in the room.

kevinpate
10-13-2014, 05:17 PM
which of the three is the gorilla?

BrettM2
10-13-2014, 05:30 PM
which of the three is the gorilla?

I'd say the Derps, but that'd be an insult to gorillas.

Mel
10-13-2014, 06:42 PM
It's the one hogging the banana cream pie.

MadMonk
10-14-2014, 07:25 AM
I can't fathom any reason why someone would be critical of Islam. It's such a tolerant religion and it's known the world over for having followers that are reasonable, peace-loving and kind. :tongue:

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist over defending the poor, downtrodden Islamists, yes, the same could be said for many religions.

LocoAko
10-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I just read an article about it and yeesh... this is frankly embarrassing. How any of you can deny there's Islamophobia at work here is beyond me. I'm glad there were at least some Muslims who decided to brave the BS and show up to defend themselves, even if they were forced to remove their burkas and listen to how the Christians are concerned about "their" country.

Edmond church draws 300 for meeting on Islam | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/edmond-church-draws-300-for-meeting-on-islam/29115260?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=koco%2Beyewitness%2Bnews%2B5)

It bothers me that meetings like this even need to exist. In other parts of the country, Muslims and Christians live side by side and it is a total non-issue. Here in Oklahoma, Christians feel the need to host meetings for concerned citizens as part of this 'threat'. If local Muslims wanted to host an informative panel about Islam to dispel any myths, that's one thing, but instead of just talking to their neighbors, a town hall is held so everyone can discuss their concerns and fears about Muslims. Why we're even asking Christians to explain Islam is beyond me, too. I guess most in this thread are going to disagree, but so be it, I guess.

Pete
10-14-2014, 07:38 AM
A reporter from the Gazette was tweeting live last night:

https://twitter.com/benfelder_okg

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Even if it is a day late, I can't think of a better place to drop this.
Probably it would be wise to keep the volume down.
It's some classic Sopranos.

Sopranos - Furio on Christopher Columbus - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbMIg-Aw8E)

LocoAko
10-14-2014, 07:44 AM

After just a quick glance... lol. Nothing to see here, folks!

This is nothing more than Islamophobic fear mongering and lie spreading. Beyond the feelings that must have been given to local Muslims, press like this is really quite embarrassing. Maybe local Muslims should host a free panel about all of the dangers of Christianity? I wonder how fairly that'd go over...

"Pastor Paul Blair is lecturing on violent history of Islam. Quoting Islamic scripture, arguing it is a religion seeking world domination."

"Blair says Islam appears peaceful in America now, but will become violent when more power is gained. Obama's photo had already been shown"

"Presentation on Muslim Brotherhood being given, connections trying to be made between terrorists and groups like CAIR."

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 07:49 AM
This might offend some "Christians" . . . and some "Anti-Christians" . . . at the same time.
It's a Multitasker.

dbsz6uzqZVo

FighttheGoodFight
10-14-2014, 08:01 AM

HOLY CRAP. This might be the worst thing I have read in a long while. This meeting actually existed?

I honestly have no words for this. As a follower of Christ there is no way to look worse than seeing meetings like this. ....It had to be Edmond...

bombermwc
10-14-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't even know where to begin here. There's the obvious stupidity of the whole thing, but what's worse is the support of idiots like this. And I know I'm going to get a slam of bad crap on this, but whatever. I should also note that I am a Christian. No need to say which denomination either...doesn't matter.

So if you think Islam supports domestic violence, try defending those in Christianity that say its better for a battered woman to not divorce because divorce is wrong. I can name 3 denominations...big one, that feel this way. And they kick out their members if they do divorce. Need we speak of the Catholic Priest scandals?

So if you think Islam is violent, lets examine the history of Christianity. Based in Judiasm...just read the old testament and find the similarities to the behavior of ISIS. Slaughtering men/women/children to take land, kill the animals, salt the earth. Do it in the name of The Lord. But we were right because we're the "good" side right? Hm. Lets look at the Crusades as more politically focused folks used religion as the excuse to sweep across Europe and convert anything in their path. Oh wait, when they met Christians, they killed them too...hmmm sound familiar?

In the U.S. we also resorted to terrorism when seeking our independence. Ever heard of the revolutionary war? Unless history changed, we did plenty to kill as many British soldiers as possible....and that included civilians that were in support of the crown. Make no mistake in that.

Now I'm not condoning ANY of the actions of terrorists or ISIS. But the total hypocrisy of people like this is just amazing. I don't personally believe that Christianity or Islam support the ideas of either of these sets of circumstances, rather political motivation and the desire for power has corrupted these people and taken them AWAY from their religion. The Catholic faith has spent hundreds of years trying to sort of the integration of a political hierarchy with religion...and not always very well. Only now are they coming to terms with some of those past mistakes. We still see anti-Semitism in the U.S....and HOW/WHY/WHAT!?!?!?! And to have anyone claim the U.S. as "their country" is laughable. This melting pot of the U.S. is anything BUT one group's. The fact that we have so many different opinions and views are what make us who we are.

A better approach would be to push interfaith work to try and get all of the sides talking. Have community events with ALL faiths together, Buddhist/Christianity/Judaism/Islam/Hinduism/etc. Heck, include the atheists while you're at it! And then stop all this crap about pointing a finger at someone and saying "you're wrong".

CuatrodeMayo
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Life once again imitates art.

Remember Cobert's March to Keep Fear Alive?

kelroy55
10-14-2014, 09:00 AM
I understand there's going to be hatred and bigotry and it will never be gone but for a church to hold a meeting to putdown another religion is pretty sad and pathetic not to mention it's close to the religion they are putting down. I'm thinking many of these 'religious' people haven't thought of WWJD in a long time. If there is such a thing as Heaven and Hell I think a lot of people will be surprised which direction their elevator goes.

onthestrip
10-14-2014, 09:14 AM
I still cant get over that this was supposed to be an Islam education gathering where one of the speakers and one of the moderators are both Baptist preachers and none of the others were muslim or have background in Islam studies. I also find it funny the burka wearing girl wasnt allowed in due to security reasons, as if she had a gun taped to her face.

Im as critical of religions as anyone. I find the atrocities around the world in the name of Islam terrible, and I also think some of the christian-minded reasoning behind some of our public policy in this state does a bunch to keep our state down. But to be concerned for our lives, in Oklahoma, at this moment, because of Islam...well thats just ridiculous.

Too bad the derps Blair, Bennet, and Fisher wont hold a talk about the growing suicide problem, or maybe prescription pill overdoses, or our high rate of poverty. You know, things that are currently taking lives and adversely affecting many of our states citizens. But that wont fill the seats of their church with other derps. They need fear to do that.

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Before we allow a Rush to Judgment to occur, and in the interests of being Fair and Balanced, I think it is important to note that EDMOND was once the home of a noted local restaurateur and caterer who tried to make a Federal Case out of the Cross by I-35 (he was offended by it and wasn't a "Muslim"). This may help to explain the recent spate of earthquakes in the vicinity. =)

Simply substitute Derp for Duke and Oil for Earl and this tune is as new as yesterday.
j9PoUsRibtE

Unfortunately, Gene Chandler traded in his top hat for a turban, grew a beard, and changed his name to Gene X.

I, for one, am Outraged.

=)

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Life once again imitates art.

Remember Cobert's March to Keep Fear Alive?

Did you miss the f? On the last word in the first part of your observation of this non-sense? =)

2 Timothy 2:23
Titus 3:9

I know that this is breaking a rule. Or at least I think it is. But I already broke the rule to which, the link, below, refers so I just felt like doubling down. Please forgive me. Thank you.
http://biblehub.com/2_timothy/2-23.htm

David
10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
I was watching those tweets by Ben Felder last night, just an appalling event all around.

My favorite quote:

Gaffney says many mosques push political ideology, not a religion. "And we have laws against that."

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 10:04 AM
I was watching those tweets by Ben Felder last night, just an appalling event all around.

My favorite quote:

Isn't this a violation of The Jeffersonian Law Translation regarding The Separation of Church and State of Mind?
(sure glad we ain't got no Sharia Laws 'round these here parts . . . )

I felt obliged to share this thread with my SweetHeart (she can dress however she wants. it's a free country).
Here's what she had to say:

Funny stuff – these people really take everything they hear/read to heart, don’t they? I bet that church meeting up in Edmond was a bunch of PROTESTants…you’d never find Roman Catholics doing that sort of thing because they are SO tolerant (just forgot about the Inquisition, please)! ~ K

In ISIS . . . That sort of statement would be verboten. Probably.
I think she really meant to say "forget" rather than "forgot" but that is neither here nor there (in the larger scheme of things/bigger picture. =)

Please be advised that she is NOT a practicing "Roman" Catholic.
She was once. Now she is a real, Charismatic angel. Most of the time.
She was simply playing off of my past snarky comments regarding "Roaming Catholics"

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 10:54 AM

My favorite quote:

I guess I don't know Feces from Shoe Polish . . . yet I have to ask: How, exactly does one "watch a tweet[s]"?
Perhaps this might have something to do with the "controversy"?
Ben? (knock, knock, knock . . ) Ben? Is anyone home?

(beta version of "the noo journalism") ^
please feel free to substitute moo or baa for noo. while you can.

Pete
10-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Simple-minded people love to lump certain groups all together then characterize them in an extreme way.

MY group is "good". Those 'others' are "bad/evil".

Far easier than having to think.

Also, being able to conjure outrage towards others at the drop of a hat seems to allow the same types to feel better about themselves without actually doing anything worthy of esteem.

Bunty
10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
With society's declining opposition to gay rights, the religious right have been needing a new group to scapegoat for the ills of society. They have found it. Muslims.

Pete
10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Here is Ben Felder's article:

http://okgazette.com/2014/10/14/lawmakers-pastors-and-citizens-gather-to-denounce-islam/

jerrywall
10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
It had to be Edmond...

Really? Pete's comment seems valid here as well..

Simple-minded people love to lump certain groups all together then characterize them in an extreme way.

Anyone who is disinclined to judge islam on the 1% should hesitate to judge Edmond on .3% (and probably less, since a significant number of those folks attending were journalists, gawkers, and folks from outside of Edmond).

kevinpate
10-14-2014, 12:38 PM
On this point I agree with jerrywall. Edmond by no means has a monopoly on scaredycrazy folk.
Sure, there are some frequently in public folk there who seem to attract scaredycrazy types like months to flames or rats to pipers,
but they draw in many of their scaredycrazy followers from well outside the Edmond boundaries.

kelroy55
10-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Here is Ben Felder's article:

http://okgazette.com/2014/10/14/lawmakers-pastors-and-citizens-gather-to-denounce-islam/

Truly sad to see this in this day and age in America. Is it just me or does the following sound a lot like Nazi Germany and the Jews....

Bennett was at Monday’s event and told the crowd he and other lawmakers had formed a counter terrorism caucus in Oklahoma and urged those in attendance to contact his group with any tips or suspicions.

“We want to hear from you and we want to know what you are seeing,” Bennett said. “We will send that information to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.”

Plutonic Panda
10-14-2014, 01:17 PM
I just read an article about it and yeesh... this is frankly embarrassing. How any of you can deny there's Islamophobia at work here is beyond me. I'm glad there were at least some Muslims who decided to brave the BS and show up to defend themselves, even if they were forced to remove their burkas and listen to how the Christians are concerned about "their" country.

Edmond church draws 300 for meeting on Islam | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/edmond-church-draws-300-for-meeting-on-islam/29115260?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=koco%2Beyewitness%2Bnews%2B5)

It bothers me that meetings like this even need to exist. In other parts of the country, Muslims and Christians live side by side and it is a total non-issue. Here in Oklahoma, Christians feel the need to host meetings for concerned citizens as part of this 'threat'. If local Muslims wanted to host an informative panel about Islam to dispel any myths, that's one thing, but instead of just talking to their neighbors, a town hall is held so everyone can discuss their concerns and fears about Muslims. Why we're even asking Christians to explain Islam is beyond me, too. I guess most in this thread are going to disagree, but so be it, I guess.Not sure if you were directing that at me or not, but I'm not denying it being spread.

Plutonic Panda
10-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Here's the thing I see. People love to take Islam lump look at each individual person who does a suicide bombing or terrorist attack etc. Well, I wonder if we took each person in the US that committed crimes such as murder, rape, or some other horrible crime, and asked them what their religion was. I bet a lot of them would have said Christian. Not that they or their actions represent the beliefs and foundation of Christianity, but these the same thing applies to Islam.

My grandfather was born in Iran and is Muslim, but he is not religious at all and gets sick to his stomach whenever he is watching news outlets in Iran via satellite and sees violence that is happening against woman who speak out and protesters over there. I saw a video of a lady that was raped and beaten to death because she had hair showing. They left her in the streets after they literally hit her head so many times, her brain started to come out in chunks. Very sad and my grandfather was sick that people could do this. Again, he is Muslim.

Not all Muslims are bad.

Mel
10-14-2014, 01:40 PM
I notice when we are bashing Christianity we have to go back in history.

Richard at Remax
10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
On this point I agree with jerrywall. Edmond by no means has a monopoly on scaredycrazy folk.
Sure, there are some frequently in public folk there who seem to attract scaredycrazy types like months to flames or rats to pipers,
but they draw in many of their scaredycrazy followers from well outside the Edmond boundaries.

well the title of the thread doesn't help either. it was a church in Edmond, not an Edmond town hall meeting.

kelroy55
10-14-2014, 02:02 PM
I notice when we are bashing Christianity we have to go back in history.

No not really... My today in religion posts are pretty recent.

Chadanth
10-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Minister's body found near dam<b>Police suspect man cut off his wife's head. | News OK (http://newsok.com/ministers-body-found-near-dambpolice-suspect-man-cut-off-his-wifes-head./article/2873913)

He's right, you have to go back about 10 years to find a Christian minister beheading someone in Oklahoma

Chadanth
10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Tens of thousands of Muslims flee Christian militias in Central African Republic - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/tens-of-thousands-of-muslims-flee-christian-militias-in-central-african-republic/2014/02/07/5a1adbb2-9032-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html)

BANGUI, Central African Republic – Tens of thousands of Muslims are fleeing to neighboring countries by plane and truck as Christian militias stage brutal attacks, shattering the social fabric of this war-ravaged nation.

In towns and villages as well as here in the capital, Christian vigilantes wielding machetes have killed scores of Muslims, who are a minority here, and burned and looted their houses and mosques in recent days, according to witnesses, aid agencies and peacekeepers. Tens of thousands of Muslims have fled their homes.

The cycle of chaos is fast becoming one of the worst outbreaks of violence along Muslim-Christian fault lines in recent memory in sub-Saharan Africa, tensions that have also plagued countries such as Nigeria and Sudan.

Ad

The brutalities began to escalate when the country’s first Muslim leader, Michel Djotodia, stepped down and went into exile last month. Djotodia, who had seized power in a coup last March, had been under pressure from regional leaders to resign. His departure was meant to bring stability to this poor country, but humanitarian and human rights workers say there is more violence now than at any time since the coup.

“Civilians remain in constant fear for their lives and have been largely left to fend for themselves,” Martine Flokstra, emergency coordinator for the aid agency Doctors Without Borders, said in a statement Friday, adding that the violence had reached “extreme and unprecedented” levels.

On Friday, thousands of Muslims hopped aboard trucks packed with their possessions, protected by soldiers from Chad, and drove out of Bangui, as Christians cheered their departures or tried to loot the trucks as they drove through Christian areas. At least one Muslim man, who fell from a truck, was killed by a mob. Meanwhile, thousands more Muslims huddled at the airport in a crowded hangar, waiting to be evacuated.

“They are killing Muslims with knives,” said Muhammed Salih Yahya, 38, a shopkeeper, making a slitting motion across his throat. He arrived at the airport Wednesday from the western town of Yaloke with his wife and five children. “I built my house over two years, but the Christians destroyed it in minutes. I want to leave.”

Christians have also been victims of violence, targeted by Muslims in this complex communal conflict that U.N. and humanitarian officials fear could implode into genocide. Several hundred thousand Christians remain in crowded, squalid camps, unable or too afraid to return home.

But attacks on Muslims in particular are intensifying, aid workers said.

Djotodia’s departure weakened the former Muslim rebels, known as Seleka, who carried out deadly attacks on Christians after they grabbed power in March, prompting the birth of Christian militias called the anti-balaka, or “anti-machete” in the local Sango language. The armed vigilantes have used the power vacuum to step up assaults on Muslims.

Ad

Now in disarray, the Seleka are no longer able to protect Muslims from the Christian vigilantes. The roughly 6,500 French and African troops authorized by the U.N. Security Council to intervene have been unable to stop the violence.

“In the northwest and in Bangui, we are currently witnessing direct attacks against the Muslim minority,” Flokstra said. “We are concerned about the fate of these communities trapped in their villages, surrounded by anti-Balaka groups, and also about the fact that many Muslim families are being forced into exile to survive.”

Fleeing to Chad

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), more than 60,000 people, most of them Muslim, have fled to neighboring countries since Dec. 5, when violence erupted after an uprising by the Christian militias and former government soldiers. The number of departures escalated after Djotodia’s resignation. Muslims make up roughly 15 percent of the country’s 4.5 million people.

Most have fled to Chad and Cameroon, while others have gone to Nigeria, Niger and Sudan, according to IOM statistics. The numbers include foreigners who work in the Central African Republic as well as citizens. In this region, people often have social and economic ties across borders. Many families here, for example, have relatives in Chad, Cameroon and other neighboring nations.

IOM officials are concerned about those leaving. The vast majority, roughly 50,000, are headed to Chad, a mostly Muslim country that is also among the poorest in the world.

“What kind of support will they get from the Chadian authorities? Are they going to be able to reinsert themselves into society there?” said Giovanni Cassani, the emergency coordinator for IOM. “50,000 is a small town. And there is more on the way, and there will be more, unless the situation improves here.”

The Central African Republic, Cassani said, is already reeling from the economic shock of Muslims departing. Many are traders and shopkeepers who imported staples. They also ran the meat industry. “It’s going to have a massive effect on society here,” Cassani said. “Prices are going up. . . . It’s been extremely difficult to find beef in the capital.”

Many of the clashes have occurred in northwestern towns. In a village called Bozoum, 2,500 Muslims fled Wednesday, according to Doctors Without Borders. And Bouar, a Muslim town of 8,000 people, “remains effectively imprisoned” by anti-balaka militias, according to the agency.

Homes looted, taken apart

In Bangui, the capital, Chadian special forces and former Seleka rebels guarded the convoy of trucks carrying Muslims out of the city toward the Chadian border. The Muslims were picked up at the airport, at mosques and from an area called Kilo 5, one of the capital’s last remaining Muslim enclaves. In some cases, French and African soldiers had to fend off looters. A few trucks had to be abandoned.

The man who fell off one of the trucks was viciously slain by a mob that cut off his genitals and hands, said Peter Bouckaert, emergencies director for Human Rights Watch.

“The French keep trying to say the situation is stabilizing, but it actually isn’t,” Bouckaert said. “The only areas that are stabilizing are areas where all the Muslims are gone.”

kelroy55
10-14-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking if the Baptists want to talk about religious people being a danger to others they should start with their own....

An Alabama minister who shocked his congregation by confessing he had sex with church members while afflicted with AIDS is now being sued. The congregation of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Montgomery voted 80-1 on Oct. 5 to dismiss Rev. Juan Demetrius McFarland as pastor, but he refused to give up the pulpit and presided over services Sunday. Deacons who tried to oust him filed a lawsuit on Tuesday asking the court to order McFarland to vacate the church, citing his "debauchery, sinfulness, hedonism, sexual misconduct, thievery and rejection of the Ten Commandments."

FighttheGoodFight
10-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Really? Pete's comment seems valid here as well..

Anyone who is disinclined to judge islam on the 1% should hesitate to judge Edmond on .3% (and probably less, since a significant number of those folks attending were journalists, gawkers, and folks from outside of Edmond).

Let me clarify what I meant. I meant it in the way of. It had to be Edmond, Oklahoma so now we will make the national news about this kind of stuff. I grew up in Edmond, went to Memorial and I think it is a great suburb with many different people. I don't think this town hall meeting characterizes the town at all.

Chadanth
10-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Let me clarify what I meant. I meant it in the way of. It had to be Edmond, Oklahoma so now we will make the national news about this kind of stuff. I grew up in Edmond, went to Memorial and I think it is a great suburb with many different people. I don't think this town hall meeting characterizes the town at all.

I'd agree. It's a small, but vocal minority. The problem is that civic leaders are the loudest.

jerrywall
10-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Ok, sorry. I misunderstood and apologize.

And on that note, can we quit calling it a "town hall meeting"? It wasn't a "town hall meeting".

Mel
10-14-2014, 04:39 PM

I must have missed the Christian's doing beheadings, honor killings, stoning's and strangulation's in your thread. I will read it closer.

ylouder
10-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Duplicate

ylouder
10-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Not all Muslims are bad.

And not all Christians are good. So what's your point?

One thing I've noticed is that any time violence takes place it's typically from a conservative source .

turnpup
10-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I grew up in a small-town Baptist church. I'll never forget when I was in high school how they did a week-long nighttime "seminar" at the church on how Mormonism is a cult. A CULT! AN EVIL CULT!

If that wasn't bad enough on its own, imagine my horror when some of the kids who went to church there invited one of their good friends to attend. SHE WAS A MORMON! Her family was delightful, wonderful, pillars of the community. But they had the misfortune of being the only Mormon family in town. What must it have felt like for her to get dragged by her friends to this "seminar" to be told by a roomful of people that the core of her belief system was a cult. That still boils me, many, many years later.

Plutonic Panda
10-14-2014, 05:26 PM
And not all Christians are good. So what's your point?I need to further make a point as to what I meant by saying not all Muslims are bad?

Mel
10-14-2014, 05:36 PM
And not all Christians are good. So what's your point?

One thing I've noticed is that any time violence takes place it's typically from a conservative source .

He loves his Uncle.

Chadanth
10-14-2014, 05:47 PM
I must have missed the Christian's doing beheadings, honor killings, stoning's and strangulation's in your thread. I will read it closer.

Minister's body found near dam<b>Police suspect man cut off his wife's head. | News OK (http://newsok.com/ministers-body-found-near-dambpolice-suspect-man-cut-off-his-wifes-head./article/2873913)

ylouder
10-14-2014, 05:51 PM
I need to further make a point as to what I meant by saying not all Muslims are bad?

I was saying you don't need to apologize about your lineage because someone else has a problem. If they are simple minded enough to think all xyz people are the problem then no amount of well thought out reasoning will resolve THEIR issues. When people find the almost impulsive need to put others down I reread this.

Spineless sadist (avoidantfeatures)

Spineless sadists are opposite the other three by being deeply insecure and acting like cowards.[14]*They anticipate real danger, projecting their hostile fantasies, and they strike first, hoping thereby to forestall their antagonist and ask questions later.[12]*While these sadists are fearful of many things, when they experience panic they will counteract their enemies by doing the things that they fear. Spineless sadists use aggressive hostility to send the message to others that they aren’t intimidated or fearful, thus allowing themselves to control their inner feelings and help display the opposite. Their behavior can be*counterphobic, allowing them to master their fears, but serves to divert and impress others with a false sense of confidence and self-assurance. Spineless sadists also seek out scapegoats to gang up on, enabling themselves to assault what they want to deny in themselves.

Mel
10-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Crimes of religious hatred are a bit different than crimes of passion or just getting tired of your ol' Lady. Got to Charon Boat or Best Gore for pics and films of the peace lovers at work.

Plutonic Panda
10-14-2014, 06:50 PM
I was saying you don't need to apologize about your lineage because someone else has a problem. If they are simple minded enough to think all xyz people are the problem then no amount of well thought out reasoning will resolve THEIR issues. When people find the almost impulsive need to put others down I reread this.

Spineless sadist (avoidantfeatures)

Spineless sadists are opposite the other three by being deeply insecure and acting like cowards.[14]*They anticipate real danger, projecting their hostile fantasies, and they strike first, hoping thereby to forestall their antagonist and ask questions later.[12]*While these sadists are fearful of many things, when they experience panic they will counteract their enemies by doing the things that they fear. Spineless sadists use aggressive hostility to send the message to others that they aren’t intimidated or fearful, thus allowing themselves to control their inner feelings and help display the opposite. Their behavior can be*counterphobic, allowing them to master their fears, but serves to divert and impress others with a false sense of confidence and self-assurance. Spineless sadists also seek out scapegoats to gang up on, enabling themselves to assault what they want to deny in themselves.My bad. I just read it wrong. I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree more.

Mel
10-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Caesum equus mortuus iam non

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 10:33 PM

MY group is "good". Those 'others' are "bad/evil".

Far easier than having to think.

Also, being able to conjure outrage towards others at the drop of a hat seems to allow the same types to feel better about themselves without actually doing anything worthy of esteem.

Can WE get an AMEN?
Nah . . . that's too "religious" . . .
sorry for suggesting it.

I reckon it's a lot easier to transfer tension to an object of ridicule than it is to actually think.
Actual thinking . . . and effective listening (rather than waiting to speak) . . . is not an easy row to hoe.
Yet it is better than the alternative.
Isn't it?

RadicalModerate
10-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Caesum equus mortuus iam non

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was something on the Latest/Greatest Pho Noodle menu. =)
Was the meeting questioned, at the top of the thread, catered?

There is a difference between beating a dead horse and tenderizing it.
I'm not sure if the operators of some local Food Trucks have been informed.
In any case, it ain't Kosher.
And I ain't no Francophile.

To ward off Islamophobia . . . Tommorow it's Bone-In Pork Chops with German Potato Salad and Rotkhol. =)
And right after that, we're going to inflate a portable cube in the backyard and walk around it for awhile.
Like they do in Mecca or Medina or wherever.

kelroy55
10-15-2014, 08:38 AM

You didn't say that's what you were looking for plus I don't bash the religion, just some of the nuts that practice it. I believe Hindu's also do honor killings and I think there are many examples of Christians, and other religions, that strangle people. Stoning has been around for a long time, there are examples of the Aztec's and Ancient Greece not to mention the apostates from Judaism and the Bible, granted most don't do it anymore but it is part of our religious past. I have a feeling that a majority of the domestic violence that results in a death ( 1,300) in the US was done by non-Muslims.

I don't believe the Muslims have cornered the market on killing people. There are over 13,000 murders in the US every year, it seems we prefer to shoot, stab and strangle rather than behead or stone. It seems we see the killings by Muslims as barbaric but when a person on death row suffers because the drugs we give them don't work it's too bad for the person or when somebody gets a gun and kills a bunch of school kids some fight tooth and nail about making it tougher for people to get guns. I agree I see much of the killing the Muslim extremists do as barbaric but I also see much of the killings committed here as barbaric too, some are done in the name of religion here too but mostly for money, drugs or passion.

As far as terrorism goes a vast majority of terrorist acts here in the US were carried out by non Muslims.

Are Christians more violent than Muslims?
Are Christians more violent than Muslims? | Abagond (http://abagond.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/are-christians-more-violent-than-muslims/)

jerrywall
10-15-2014, 12:48 PM
People keep confusing violence done by someone who is a member of a religion, with violence done by someone in the name of a religion.

Filthy
10-15-2014, 01:25 PM
People keep confusing violence done by someone who is a member of a religion, with violence done by someone in the name of a religion.

This is the point everyone seems to be missing....on purpose no doubt.

kelroy55
10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

People also keep confusing that violence done in the name of religion is a very small minority of that religion but they tend to blame the whole religion.

dankrutka
10-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Another case of ignorance: Oklahoma woman asked to sign a petition telling Muslims to ?go home? | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/10/15/oklahoma-woman-asked-to-sign-a-petition-telling-muslims-to-go-home/)

She shouldn't have to say it, but I loved her explanation because it just points out the absurdity of the stereotyping that is going on:

"Being a Muslim doesn't mean you're from another country. It doesn't mean that you're not American. I am American."

Pete
10-16-2014, 02:14 PM
This is a great piece just posted to the Gazette:

Commentary: OKC?s welcome mat is for everyone | okgazette.com (http://okgazette.com/2014/10/14/commentary-okcs-welcome-mat-is-for-everyone/?utm_content=bufferb5a97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

State Rep. John Bennett continues to spread fear and misinformation about Muslims — those who have moved here to do business, as well as those who were born and raised here.

And after the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex marriage in Oklahoma, our governor issued an abrupt statement that our gay and lesbian community somehow doesn’t represent “Oklahoma values.”

It’s ironic, considering that our much-deserved “Oklahoma standard” was built on friendliness, that our Christian tradition teaches us to “love thy neighbor.”

jerrywall
10-16-2014, 03:07 PM
People also keep confusing that violence done in the name of religion is a very small minority of that religion but they tend to blame the whole religion.

That's fine, and I can agree with that, but using the example of someone killing for a non-religious reason as a justification to excuse a religious based killing is dishonest.

And small minority, certainly. We'll take the director of CAIR's number, to be generous, which is that only 1% of Muslims are the chop off heads type of radicals. Nothing to worry about.. that's just 16 Million folks who want to kill in the name of religion. Nothing to be concerned about. And what if he's conservative on his estimates? Maybe off by a couple of percentage points? 32 million? 48 million? 60 million? At which point is a conversation justified?

I think this town hall meeting was stupid, but I still think there's a conversation to be had, and a meeting could be held with folks of diverse backgrounds and beliefs that could be educational and reaffirming to lots of folks. But the focus many folks have on "but here's a Christian who is doing something bad, so we can't talk about Islamic terrorism" is a distraction.

BrettM2
10-16-2014, 03:20 PM
That's fine, and I can agree with that, but using the example of someone killing for a non-religious reason as a justification to excuse a religious based killing is dishonest.

And small minority, certainly. We'll take the director of CAIR's number, to be generous, which is that only 1% of Muslims are the chop off heads type of radicals. Nothing to worry about.. that's just 16 Million folks who want to kill in the name of religion. Nothing to be concerned about. And what if he's conservative on his estimates? Maybe off by a couple of percentage points? 32 million? 48 million? 60 million? At which point is a conversation justified?

I think this town hall meeting was stupid, but I still think there's a conversation to be had, and a meeting could be held with folks of diverse backgrounds and beliefs that could be educational and reaffirming to lots of folks. But the focus many folks have on "but here's a Christian who is doing something bad, so we can't talk about Islamic terrorism" is a distraction.

The conversation is always justified. We need to figure out a way to stop the radicals before the attacks (not saying it is likely). What isn't justified is labeling 1.6 billion people because of the beliefs of 16 million, or 32 million, or 60 million. Those are evil people, that isn't up for debate. That also doesn't mean an entire religion is evil.