View Full Version : FBI director: iPhones shields pedophiles from cops

kelroy55
10-13-2014, 01:42 PM
In an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" on Sunday, Comey said Apple's encryption standards for iPhones and iPads "put people beyond the law."

Apple (AAPL, Tech30) recently took measures to enhance user privacy. Now, only users have the key to unlock text messages, photos and emails on their device. As such, iOS 8 will shield your data from anyone -- including police.

Here's how it works: You send a text message that's encrypted on your device. It passes through Apple servers as jumbled code nobody can crack. And it can only get decrypted by your friend's iPhone passcode.

Google (GOOG) has announced it's doing the same for its Android devices.

The FBI director isn't pleased.

The notion that people have devices... that with court orders, based on a showing of probable cause in a case involving kidnapping or child exploitation or terrorism, we could never open that phone? My sense is that we've gone too far when we've gone there," Comey told CBS.

FBI director: iPhones shields pedophiles from cops - Oct. 13, 2014 (http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/13/technology/security/fbi-apple/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

My sense is the FBI has gone too far if it's complaining it doesn't have full access to our private lives.

Of Sound Mind
10-13-2014, 02:00 PM
I might be more sympathetic to the cries of the FBI director, U.S. Attorney General and other law enforcement agencies if there hasn't been a track record over the last decade of egregious government surveillance overreach and unchecked power of intrusion into the lives of everyday citizens under the guise of the enigmatic pretense of "national security."

kelroy55
10-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Opppps.... please delete this one