View Full Version : National Football League

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
10-12-2014, 10:40 PM
We seem to get little discussion here about the NFL. I'm wonder though, do us long suffering Dallas Cowboy fans have any reason to get interested again or are we just being teased. :)

New attitude: These Dallas Cowboys won't fade - ESPN Dallas (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4735304/new-attitude-these-cowboys-wont-fade)

OKCJapan
10-13-2014, 12:32 AM
After beating 3 teams that are in the middle to low end of the league, I thought that Dallas would fade as it moves into the more difficult part of the schedule. After yesterday's monumental win in Seattle. Have to say they are a contender this season.
I have to add that I am really not a big Dallas supporter at the moment. I was a fan as a boy back in the days of Staubach, White, Dorsett, and followed them all the way until the mid nineties. Just don't like Jerry Jones. However, they are doing all the right things right now.

Just wondering, What percentage to the OKC metro area are Dallas fans?

OKCRT
10-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Well the refs gave them the game against the Rams(they really did) and the Seahawks don't look like last years team. But,Dallas is playing decent ball but I wouldn't go crazy just yet.

OKCRT
10-24-2014, 07:06 PM
I think it's just about time for OKC to go after the Oakland Raiders. Promise them a new downtown stadium with the next maps money. They can change the name so it won't be affiliated with the gang bangers and make a ton of money on new merch. and naming rights. With OKC metro pushing 1.5 mil. and growing I think the time is getting close. We could also use a hotel/motel tax to fleece the out-of-towners along with sin tax and some new maps money. We need to get the movers and shakers on board. The price of new stadiums will only go up so this needs to get started soon. We don't need a Jerry World but something like Indy's would work well down on the river front. This could be the jewel that sets downtown OKC apart from other cities. I remember hearing that the NBA would never work in OKC so I don't want to hear the negative nancys. OKC IS A CAN DO CITY! Lets get her done....

BG918
10-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Just wondering, What percentage to the OKC metro area are Dallas fans?

All of Oklahoma according to this: NFL Fan Map: Favorite Team By County - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-fan-map-2014-9)

Achilleslastand
10-24-2014, 10:59 PM
We seem to get little discussion here about the NFL. I'm wonder though, do us long suffering Dallas Cowboy fans have any reason to get interested again or are we just being teased. :)

New attitude: These Dallas Cowboys won't fade - ESPN Dallas (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4735304/new-attitude-these-cowboys-wont-fade)

Dallas is playing some very good{not great}ball right now but I think they are almost last in the league in sacks which dosnt bode well in the long run unless they can apply more pressure to opposing QBs. And Dallas still has some tough games ahead including x2 against the Eagles, the Cards as well as the Colts and Bears. That being said at least at this point I don't see any beating Denver.

ljbab728
12-28-2014, 08:32 PM
There still seems to be nonexistent interest in the NFL here on OKCTALK other than wondering if it will ever come to OKC. The Cowboys continue to at least as impressive if not more impressive than any other team as the regular season closes. You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.

Richard at Remax
12-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Im paying attention. I just don't care about the Cowboys.

Filthy
12-29-2014, 08:54 AM
You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.

I am a fan of both Dez Bryant, and Demarco Murray, and enjoy seeing their individual success. However, the fact that they play for Dallas makes it impossible for me to wish their "team" to have any success. Which is unfortunate, being that football is a team sport. Hopefully someday, one or both of those guys, has a chance to get out from under Dallas Cowboy management, and have the opportunity to play for a wining franchise.

ljbab728
12-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Im paying attention. I just don't care about the Cowboys.

Please note that this isn't the Cowboy's thread. Feel free to comment about other teams if you don't care about them.

Richard at Remax
12-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm a saints fan but unfortunately I have nothing to say about them either

Snowman
12-30-2014, 07:22 AM
There still seems to be nonexistent interest in the NFL here on OKCTALK other than wondering if it will ever come to OKC. The Cowboys continue to at least as impressive if not more impressive than any other team as the regular season closes. You would think with star power of Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray, Oklahomans would be paying more attention.

While I use to have a some interest in the Dallas Cowboys, with them being my dad's favorite pro team (at least in the 80's and 90's when I lived at home, I am pretty sure that went back earlier but I was alive before then), however l lost interest in them at some point after the Switzer years. They seemed so consistently fielding mediocre or worse teams, then occasional years showing a flash of potential to turn around then repeatedly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It is amazing to think how much money they make year after year, consistently among the top earning franchises and many years the best in the league, yet after the 95 season (almost twenty years) they only have two playoff victories and those come from wildcard games.

boscorama
12-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I've been a Cowboys fan for about 8 years and this is the first time they've been impressive. I'm happier'n a sh!t house rat! Thank you, football gods!

Laramie
01-01-2015, 07:16 PM
I think it's just about time for OKC to go after the Oakland Raiders. Promise them a new downtown stadium with the next maps money. They can change the name so it won't be affiliated with the gang bangers and make a ton of money on new merch. and naming rights. With OKC metro pushing 1.5 mil. and growing I think the time is getting close. We could also use a hotel/motel tax to fleece the out-of-towners along with sin tax and some new maps money. We need to get the movers and shakers on board. The price of new stadiums will only go up so this needs to get started soon. We don't need a Jerry World but something like Indy's would work well down on the river front. This could be the jewel that sets downtown OKC apart from other cities. I remember hearing that the NBA would never work in OKC so I don't want to hear the negative nancys. OKC IS A CAN DO CITY! Lets get her done....

Raiders, Chargers & Rams aren't likely to leave their respective cities of Oakland, San Diego & St. Louis; they will look for pawns like Los Angeles, San Antonio, Portland, Memphis & Birmingham with L.A. as a serious threat.

Oklahoma City is expected to continue its healthy growth into the future, reaching 1.5 million in its metropolitan area by 2020.

Oklahoma City Population 2014 - World Population Review (http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/oklahoma-city-population/)

OKC 2025 projection could reach 1.7 - 2.0 million by mid 20s.

Oklahoma City isn't ready to plan for anything like an NFL franchise. The city could propose an open air stadium 35,000/40,000-seat riverfront stadium (2017 MAPS IV -$115 - $125 million ) which could be used for soccer (potential MLS) & American football & large gathering with expansion possibilities.

University of Houston: new 40,000-plus seat stadium at a cost of $105 million:

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608013850214729970&pid=15.1&P=0 https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608044520579794648&pid=15.1&P=0

New Houston Cougars football stadium to seat 40,000-plus - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/24/3912216/new-houston-cougars-football-stadium-photo)

Stickman
01-11-2015, 02:06 PM
That settles it, Dallas and GB game is absolutely the worst officiated game I have EVER seen!

dcsooner
01-11-2015, 05:32 PM
That settles it, Dallas and GB game is absolutely the worst officiated game I have EVER seen!

NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win. BIG Time happy about Dallas' loss

bluedogok
01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win. BIG Time happy about Dallas' loss
Detroit still had multiple chances to stop them, it wasn't a TD play.

OKCJapan
01-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Dallas had opportunities int this game to score or keep GB's offense off the field. Many might say, well, if the Bryant catch decision was not overturned and Dallas scores, maybe even converting a 2pc to go up by three, their defense gets fired up. The problem is, it was not Jerry World, it was Lambeau Field and it was Aaron Rogers who was torching Dallas in the second half. You saw the subsequent drive. They just didn't need to score at that point. Not a Dallas hater, just looking at it as objectively as possible.

traxx
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
NOPE! Dallas Detroit was worse. Refs GAVE Dallas the win.

Wrong. If you saw the reverse angle, you would've seen that the WR had grabbed the defenders face mask. The defender was trying to break WR's grip on his facemask but did not cause any PI in the process.

bluedogok
01-12-2015, 09:01 PM
As far as the incomplete pass on Dez, that is just a horrible interpretation of the rules and a relatively new one at that, it pretty much came into being because of replay and set precedence because we all know lawyers love precedence. It was bad on the Calvin Johnson reception years ago, they are at least consistent with the bad interpretation.

We were discussing how awkward Tebow was at halftime and it reminded me of Bucky Dent's attempt at acting in The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader movie in 1979. I was looking for the clip of that scene but only found the whole movie in YouTube (why?) and there was a Butch Johnson TD catch against Denver in the end zone where he was "falling to the ground" with a few steps and lost control of ball when he hit the ground. It laid on the ground as he popped up, back then it was considered a TD.

Around the 34 second mark...not the DCC movie, a Superbowl highlight clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ad3pDqFO4

Laramie
02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Seattle Seahawks' risky pass play on the one yard line.

With the ball on New England's 1, Seattle appeared to be headed toward a second straight Super Bowl title. Butler spoiled the Seahawks' bid, stepping in front of Ricardo Lockette for the interception.

New England Patriots Beat Seattle Seahawks 28-24 In Super Bowl XLIX (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/01/patriots-seahawks-score-super-bowl-xlix-_n_6591488.html)

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady wins 3rd Super Bowl MVP award - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12265898/new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-wins-3rd-super-bowl-mvp-award)

Achilleslastand
02-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Seattle Seahawks' risky pass play on the one yard line.

New England Patriots Beat Seattle Seahawks 28-24 In Super Bowl XLIX (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/01/patriots-seahawks-score-super-bowl-xlix-_n_6591488.html)

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady wins 3rd Super Bowl MVP award - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12265898/new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-wins-3rd-super-bowl-mvp-award)

That wasn't a bad play call by the Hawks as the Pats were In goal line defense and expecting the run. The Pats defensive back just made a heck of a play on the ball. Not really a fan of either team but Seattle starting a fight at the end was classless.

adaniel
02-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I LOATHE the New England Patriots....so much seething contempt, I can hardly type it out here. And yet, that throw by Wilson may have been the stupidest thing I've ever seen. NE's defense was having trouble stopping Lynch's run game all night and you were on the freakin ONE YARD LINE! Just infuriating. As much as I hate to say it, NE was the better team for 3 quarters.

A good Super Bowl, although I'm disgusted I will now hear "Tom Brady best quarterback EVER" talk all summer long. You blew it, Seattle. Oh, and next year please bring back Missy Elliot as halftime performer. Sad when the guest act upstages the main show.

Pete
02-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I thought Katy Perry did an awesome job.

The best SB halftime I can remember.

Richard at Remax
02-03-2015, 08:16 AM
I agree. the only recent one that left an impression on me was Prince. Sang Purple Rain in the rain in Miami

adaniel
02-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I thought Katy Perry did an awesome job.

The best SB halftime I can remember.

Really? Dancing sharks and all LOL?

I didn't think it was bad but it seemed like it was lacking energy. Maybe its just her style of music, but everyone at my party was kinda slumped over, then immediately perked up when Missy came on,

The last two shows weren't perfect but were definitely very high energy and entertaining. IMO nobody can top Beyonce for shows done in the past decade.

okatty
04-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Tim Tebow signs with Eagles. Will be interesting to see how Chip K uses him in tandem with Sammy Bradford - or if he uses him at all.

Jersey Boss
04-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Tim Tebow signs with Eagles. Will be interesting to see how Chip K uses him in tandem with Sammy Bradford - or if he uses him at all.

Interesting stat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC_lSDMW4AASjG0.jpg:large

okatty
04-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Only one way to go but UP?? ha

Jersey Boss
04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Only one way to go but UP?? ha

Or out...

Achilleslastand
04-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Interesting stat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC_lSDMW4AASjG0.jpg:large

These have got to be single game stats for QBR and not averages.

Achilleslastand
04-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Don't forget Mr Butt Fumble is with the Egirls too.

bucfan1512
04-21-2015, 07:28 AM
It is very interesting indeed. Tebow also has only started in have those games so his numbers are a little skewed compared to the other guys. However its still something to be concerned about.

okatty
04-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Chip Kelley is outside the box so if anyone can be creative with Tebow it's him. If I wasn't a Cowboy fan who hates the NFC East rival Eagles I might just have to cheer for them! ha

Achilleslastand
04-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Chip Kelley is outside the box so if anyone can be creative with Tebow it's him. If I wasn't a Cowboy fan who hates the NFC East rival Eagles I might just have to cheer for them! ha

Tebows skillset as an NFL QB is very subpar, Chip might use him for the occasional gadget play here or there but nothing game changing. Plus there is no guarantee he will be on the roster come September.

okatty
04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Tebows skillset as an NFL QB is very subpar, Chip might use him for the occasional gadget play here or there but nothing game changing. Plus there is no guarantee he will be on the roster come September.

Actually he is an underdog to make it. You can bet $100 in Vegas to win $300 if he makes opening day roster! ha

Achilleslastand
04-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Actually he is an underdog to make it. You can bet $100 in Vegas to win $300 if he makes opening day roster! ha

LOL, im not touching that bet with a 10 ft pole.
They{Eagles}stockpiling QB,s has me wondering about the draft. I wouldn't be shocked at all for them to make some kind of package trade up in the draft to try and get Marcus Mariota{another Duck}.

traxx
04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Although I'm glad for Sam to get out of St. Louis (Fisher didn't seem to care about the offensive side of the ball) I'm curious as to why Chip would want a pocket passer. An excellent pocket passer, but a pocket passer none the less. Mobile QBs were always his thing in college with the zone read and all. Although I'm a Dallas fan, I hope Sam does well in Philly.

okatty
04-22-2015, 02:05 PM
LOL, im not touching that bet with a 10 ft pole.
They{Eagles}stockpiling QB,s has me wondering about the draft. I wouldn't be shocked at all for them to make some kind of package trade up in the draft to try and get Marcus Mariota{another Duck}.

Agree...Browns seem to still have strong interest in Sam B and he has not signed a new deal, so he can be traded. Wouldn't shock me at all for Chip to make more moves at or prior to draft.

okatty
05-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Big 12 had 25 players taken in draft - by far the lowest number of the power conferences. Only 2 in the first round and one of those was the last pick of the round. Big 10 was just that - 10 picks ahead of Big 12 (with 35) and SEC was more than double Big 12 (54).

okatty
06-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Tom Brady hearing opened today in NYC. By all accounts Brady wants full vindication and will take NFL to court even if the NFL hearing results in a reduction of the punishment (say from 4 games to 2 games). Since the Cowboys play the Pats on that 4th game I hope the suspension stands!!:D

okatty
09-13-2015, 01:31 PM
New extra point rule is going to have some impact. already a couple of misses today and teams more inclined to go for 2.

Bills and Rams looking good. Texans are not.

bradh
09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Hoyer was the wrong freaking choice.

okatty
09-13-2015, 03:38 PM
^Im not sure there was a right choice. Mallett is a goofball. But agree that Hoyer was BAD.

bradh
09-13-2015, 07:02 PM
^Im not sure there was a right choice. Mallett is a goofball. But agree that Hoyer was BAD.

Touche, but Mallett when he's on is a machine. He was tossing bullets out there and throwing timely balls, getting to WRs as they were coming out of breaks. Now, the accuracy wasn't always there, but I think the ceiling is much higher with Mallett.

okatty
09-13-2015, 07:22 PM
That is true. Did you watch Hardknocks? Fantastic show.

bradh
09-13-2015, 07:51 PM
That is true. Did you watch Hardknocks? Fantastic show.

Absolutely, I'm a diehard Texan fan

okatty
09-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Interesting games tomorrow - Pats at Bills (Pats 26-3 last 29 versus Bills); Seattle at Packers - could Seattle be 0-2; Cowboys at Philly (Philly favored by 5 and no Dez for Cowboys.

ljbab728
10-18-2015, 10:21 PM
It's really nice to see good guy, but oft maligned, Landry Jones have some NFL success.

After 1,021 days, Landry Jones gets his day in the sun | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/after-1021-days-landry-jones-gets-his-day-in-the-nfl-sun/article/5454407)

okatty
10-19-2015, 08:49 AM
It's really nice to see good guy, but oft maligned, Landry Jones have some NFL success.

After 1,021 days, Landry Jones gets his day in the sun | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/after-1021-days-landry-jones-gets-his-day-in-the-nfl-sun/article/5454407)

That was fantastic! I was at Deep Duece and it happened to be on and was really great to see him have such success.

adaniel
10-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Landry Jones was the Rodney Dangerfield of OU quarterbacks (I get no respect!!) His biggest crime was having to play after Sam Bradford. How ironic that they now play in the same state on different teams, and the much maligned one may end up being quite a bit better than the Heisman Winner.

okatty
12-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Crazy game in Detroit tonight. Pack wins on hail Mary pass to beat Lions who had a 20 point lead. That pass changed the outcome of the money-line, spread and total. Lions/under bettors get bad beat of the year there.

ljbab728
01-12-2016, 09:31 PM
It's not a big surprise, but the Rams are back in LA and possibly the Chargers, as well.

St. Louis Rams relocate to Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles)

SoonerDave
01-13-2016, 05:51 AM
It's not a big surprise, but the Rams are back in LA and possibly the Chargers, as well.

St. Louis Rams relocate to Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles)

People rail against Jerry Jones for being one of these obnoxious high-roller owners, but good grief, he at least gave Dallas a legitimate shot at landing the Cowboys a few years back before he built Jerryworld in Arlington. The Rams' owner, Stan Kroenke, stopped talking to city/state leaders well over a year ago while formulating his NFL-subsidized plan for a $1.8B facility in Inglewood. Owners can and should be able to move their teams largely where they prefer within league constraints, but this guy seems to have gone out of his way to be a five-star jerk.

Colbafone
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
This really makes me kinda sad. Granted, the Rams were in LA for a long time, but for about a decade, the Rams were the biggest sporting draw in St. Louis. I think every game was sold out for 15 straight years or something. It all came downhill with letting Warner go. To me Kroenke hasn't cared about St. Louis for a good decade. He hasn't done anything for the team. Drafts have been terrible. FA signings have been terrible. Terrible GMs. Terrible coaches. Bradford I think had a different OC every year he was there. Then he demanded that the city pay for upgrades or a new stadium, lol. It's like Seattle being screwed by the NBA or the Maloofs in Sacramento. I'm going to miss the Greatest Show on Turf, even though it's really been more than 15 years since that was around. But at least they were from LA to begin with, so its just them going back home.

Now the Chargers. Holy crap. If they move, I will be devastated. San Diego reminds me a bit of OKC. Always always always plays second fiddle to LA. LA is always the talked about city. It gets everything. They claim the Chargers, even though the Chargers only played one year there in 1960. San Diego is their home. Maybe I'm just bias, San Diego is arguably my favorite city in the US, maybe in the world. And I hate LA. Also I'm a Rams and Chargers fan, and if they both move, I will instantly become a non fan.

baralheia
01-14-2016, 09:24 AM
I don't follow football too closely, so I have to admit I'm pretty confused... Why are there two NFL teams planning to shack up together at the same stadium in the same market? I thought that was a one-per-market sort of thing?

Bill Robertson
01-14-2016, 11:40 AM
I don't follow football too closely, so I have to admit I'm pretty confused... Why are there two NFL teams planning to shack up together at the same stadium in the same market? I thought that was a one-per-market sort of thing?
From 1982 to 1994 the Rams and the Raiders were both in L.A. Sharing a facility is odd but I suppose they can make it work.

On a side note. We go to St Louis quite a bit and I'll be surprised if they really miss the Rams that much. For years when you go into a sports store there's 50 racks of Cards gear, 4 or 5 racks of Blues gear and 1 or 2 racks of Rams gear. I'm sure the loyal fans are ticked but in general I don't think most of The St Louis sports fans will care.

TU 'cane
01-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't know if giving the Rams the title of biggest draw in St. Louis is fair to none other than the MLB Cardinals (not the previously NFL St. Lous Cardinals).

However, regarding there being two teams in L.A., NYC technically has two teams - the Jets and Giants, but they also play in New Jersey in the same stadium.
So I'm not sure about there being a one team per market clause. But the idea is that L.A. is so large and has been without the NFL for a while, that it's assumed multiple teams could be successful there. But I think the plan is to really only have the Rams there.

rlewis
01-14-2016, 12:19 PM
In one of the articles that I read about the potential moves, it mentioned that one of the driving reasons for moving 2 teams to LA is to ensure that the new stadium is financially viable. With a price tag of $1.8 billion and it being financed by private money, the builders would need more than 8-10 home games to make the numbers work.

zookeeper
01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
The application to move was as blunt as any given to the NFL. The bottom line is St. Louis could not support three major league sports franchises. (Cardinals, Blues and Rams). I'm glad to see the Rams back in LA. I never could get used to hearing "St. Louis Rams"...but now it will be that way (in the opposite direction) for a new generation with the Rams.