View Full Version : Tonight 9pm - HGTV: House Hunters (OKC)

BBatesokc
10-08-2014, 07:42 PM
May have already been mentioned, but at 9pm tonight on HGTV's House Hunters is an episode shot in OKC.

Richard at Remax
10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
At the risk of sounding mean, that woman realtor just needed to shhhhhh.

But the show def showed what a lot of people factor into decisions. High costs for smaller space yet you are close to the action. Vs burbs where you get more bang for your buck, and the ability to customize some of the older homes to your tastes. Those homes needed a lot of of work though and whomever chose those countertops in the Edmond house must've been drunk

bradh
10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
This was one of the most brutal episodes to watch, because his realtor was unbearable.

ljbab728
10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
They did show a lot of great views of OKC but one thing was very weird. Every time they mentioned that living downtown was desirable because of being able to walk to museums they showed a shot of the Cowboy Hall of Fame. :wink:

I've always heard on that show, in most cases, the people looking for a house have already picked something out before filming starts and most of it is just for show.

Stew
10-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Who ever edited that episode must have had a crush on that realtor's wife. I agree though it was cool seeing OKC on display. I have to wonder what people around the country think about houses for sale below $100 per square foot.

Celebrator
10-08-2014, 10:08 PM
This is the first episode I can remember involving an OKC house hunt. I hope there are more to come.

Mel
10-08-2014, 11:29 PM
I watched the new "American Horror Story: Freak Show" instead. Sounds like I watched the better show.

Dustin
10-08-2014, 11:32 PM
I thought it was alright. The editing was awful. One minute they show a DT view with the Devon Tower and then the next shot it suddenly disappeared. I thought showing a good looking bachelor was certainly a good thing for any singles moving to OKC.

Dustin
10-08-2014, 11:33 PM
I watched the new "American Horror Story: Freak Show" instead. Sounds like I watched the better show.

This season looks to be the best one yet!

Mel
10-08-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm causing a drift, sorry, but yes, that was a kicker eppy. Lobster boy was a shocker........giggle

BBatesokc
10-09-2014, 05:26 AM
I watched the show, but mostly to see what agenda the producers were going to push - because - yes folks - like all other reality TV shows, House Hunters is FAKE.

And by FAKE I mean, the home buyer (who sometimes isn't really even someone looking to buy a home), has already purchased or is actively closing on a home of their choice before the filming even takes place. In some instances the purchased home shown is the one they actually bought. In other instances it is not. Also, many/most times the 'other two alternatives' were not even houses really considered and in some cases where not even houses actually for sale.

So, this means the producers are crafting a show and an image of their own fantasy.

That said, I felt the episode made Oklahoma City/Edmond look like you could either buy an over-priced tiny 'apartment' with no real character (but in a great location), or you could buy an out of date and hideously decorated home in the burbs.

Personally, I think we all know the buyer had much better burb options for his $200,000+ budget.

As for downtown options, good luck these days for $200,000.

Urbanized
10-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Yeah, that was my problem with it. Made it look like all of the single family dwellings in OKC are popcorn-ceiling, outdated oak, Formica countered crap in the hinterlands. At least toss a historic inner-city charmer into the mix. But we all know there were much nicer examples in Edmond and far NW OKC than the ones shown that they could have shown, too.

bchris02
10-09-2014, 06:35 AM
They did show a lot of great views of OKC but one thing was very weird. Every time they mentioned that living downtown was desirable because of being able to walk to museums they showed a shot of the Cowboy Hall of Fame. :wink:

I've always heard on that show, in most cases, the people looking for a house have already picked something out before filming starts and most of it is just for show.

I haven't watched the show yet but going completely off what I am reading in this thread it looks like they might have tried to paint a stereotypical picture of OKC. Was that the case?

I thought it was alright. The editing was awful. One minute they show a DT view with the Devon Tower and then the next shot it suddenly disappeared. I thought showing a good looking bachelor was certainly a good thing for any singles moving to OKC.

It's a pet peeve of mine when the media uses images or stock footage that doesn't include the Devon tower. It's been completed for three years now.

Urbanized
10-09-2014, 06:40 AM
I haven't watched the show yet but going completely off what I am reading in this thread it looks like they might have tried to paint a stereotypical picture of OKC. Was that the case?
I didn't get that impression. It just seemed lazy to me.

Mike_M
10-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Slightly related, my wife flew from Chicago and said the Property Brothers were on her flight here so we may see another OKC appearance on HGTV soon.

LocoAko
10-09-2014, 07:27 AM
I have yet to watch it, but I could just swear that I saw an episode featuring Oklahoma City years ago. No one else seems to remember that episode, though, and this was being heralded as OKC's big appearance on the show... so maybe I'm imagining things.

bradh
10-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Yeah, that was my problem with it. Made it look like all of the single family dwellings in OKC are popcorn-ceiling, outdated oak, Formica countered crap in the hinterlands. At least toss a historic inner-city charmer into the mix. But we all know there were much nicer examples in Edmond and far NW OKC than the ones shown that they could have shown, too.

They kept showing historic inner city neighborhoods when they'd mention "the burbs" which I thought was funny.

I swore I did see some clips of Devon Tower, but as point out by a friend on Twitter last night, there was a shot, looks like it was taken from around Devon Boathouse, of downtown with the new I-40 running in front of the shot, and Devon Tower was completely removed, and Continental's name was blurred out on their building (or it was during the sign change). Very strange.

Richard at Remax
10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
I know which shot you were reffering too. The tower had to be just out of frame since the boathouses were shown. It was featured in all the downtown shots where it could be visible.

I looked at that central avenue villas house that still is for sale. Been on the market almost a year without changing asking price. It is way too much for what you get. I got the "That's it?" after walking through it.

As for his budget he said he wanted it around 200K, move in ready, modern (even though he chose something different) and to have at least 3 beds. Looking over the inventory on Zillow in that price range there is slim pickins and they all look like they need significant work done.

ljbab728
10-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I have yet to watch it, but I could just swear that I saw an episode featuring Oklahoma City years ago. No one else seems to remember that episode, though, and this was being heralded as OKC's big appearance on the show... so maybe I'm imagining things.

I remember OKC being featured on a different HGTV show previously. I don't remember which one for sure but it was one of the home renovation type of shows. There was also a couple on once who were from OKC and moving somewhere else to look for a house.

bradh
10-09-2014, 09:14 AM
I know which shot you were reffering too. The tower had to be just out of frame since the boathouses were shown. It was featured in all the downtown shots where it could be visible.

I looked at that central avenue villas house that still is for sale. Been on the market almost a year without changing asking price. It is way too much for what you get. I got the "That's it?" after walking through it.

As for his budget he said he wanted it around 200K, move in ready, modern (even though he chose something different) and to have at least 3 beds. Looking over the inventory on Zillow in that price range there is slim pickins and they all look like they need significant work done.

It's kinda like the place for sale that was previously rented at Maywood Lofts. 1300 sqft, two bed two bath for $315k. Actually not a bad layout, but it's been on the market almost a year I believe.

adaniel
10-09-2014, 12:04 PM

This is off topic, but the murdering clown they showed is going to give me nightmares for weeks.

Bullbear
10-09-2014, 03:36 PM
That is my Friend Dominic.. and yes the realtor is horrible.
the whole Show is kind of a sham though. they recruit the home buyer after they have already purchased a home and all the other homes they look at are staged. he never looked at those other home before buying his.

Urbanized
10-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Interesting that he's your friend Bullbear. The whole show we were picking up vibe that the lady (married to the realtor "friend" I think) had designs on the home buyer. They even cut to her husband flashing what looked like an indignant, jealous look. But the whole time we were thinking that she was TOTALLY barking up the wrong tree. Like, REALLY the wrong tree. It was pretty entertaining. Any thoughts on this?

Bullbear
10-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Lol. Dominic is very straight. Lol

Urbanized
10-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Darn. Gay would have made for a much better story LOL. Still not surprising that he's not interested. She was unbelievably overbearing. Unbelievable to the point where it's easy to believe that the whole thing is staged/scripted.

CuatrodeMayo
10-10-2014, 09:28 AM
?House Hunters:? What It Was Like to Be On the Show (http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/06/11/house-hunters-what-it-was-like-to-be-on-the-show/)

Bunty
10-10-2014, 10:51 AM
That is my Friend Dominic.. and yes the realtor is horrible.
the whole Show is kind of a sham though. they recruit the home buyer after they have already purchased a home and all the other homes they look at are staged. he never looked at those other home before buying his.

Shams are a lot less boring to watch than showing how the real thing happened.

TheTravellers
10-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Darn. Gay would have made for a much better story LOL. Still not surprising that he's not interested. She was unbelievably overbearing. Unbelievable to the point where it's easy to believe that the whole thing is staged/scripted.

We watch House Hunters a bit, mainly the International one, though, 'cos I think it's a bit less likely be totally fake, just a little bit fake. We both agreed that this episode amped up the drama way beyond what it used to be, she was just annoying as hell, didn't use to have that kind of crap on the show, used to be pretty straightforward (and boring at times if the buyer wasn't that interesting).

Plutonic Panda
10-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Oklahoma City housing market steals the show on HGTV's 'House Hunters' | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-housing-market-steals-the-show-on-hgtvs-house-hunters/article/5357654)

AP
10-19-2014, 08:28 PM
I just watched the episode for the first time and wow I can't stand Denise.

bchris02
10-19-2014, 08:29 PM
nm

ljbab728
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
The author of that article evidently agrees with my earlier comment.

My only quibble with the show — and it surely made lots of folks around here laugh (except for the especially fit and crazy):

The show mentioned downtown “walking distance” to “restaurants and museums” two or three times and kept showing the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, 1700 NE 63. That’s six miles.

For those who missed it:

HGTV House Hunters on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/108445408)

Urbanized
10-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Showing the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and associated Chihuly or exhibition du jour would not have fit the bucolic narrative that coastal producers have in mind for us.

bchris02
10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Showing the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and associated Chihuly or exhibition du jour would not have fit the bucolic narrative that coastal producers have in mind for us.

True. Despite the uptick in positive press OKC has received in recent years, some people either ignorantly or willfully promote the stereotype. You could tell she wasn't super knowledgeable about OKC by the things the said. She also said that modern, contemporary style isn't common in Oklahoma. I am not sure I believe that.

Jake
10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
The lady annoyed me.

bchris02
10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Quick google search and I found modern, contemporary builder in Edmond. These homes match the style the buyer was wanting but in a suburban location. Of course these are a tier higher than the buyer's price range but it shows that contemporary is available.

17324 Sparrowhawk Ln | Furnished Model | New Homes Edmond & Oklahoma City (http://jeffclickhomes.com/homes/model)

There was no reason for them to push popcorn ceiling and "poop brown" countertops.

Dustin
10-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Quick google search and I found modern, contemporary builder in Edmond. These homes match the style the buyer was wanting but in a suburban location. Of course these are a tier higher than the buyer's price range but it shows that contemporary is available.

17324 Sparrowhawk Ln | Furnished Model | New Homes Edmond & Oklahoma City (http://jeffclickhomes.com/homes/model)

There was no reason for them to push popcorn ceiling and "poop brown" countertops.

We toured his model home during the parade of homes and it was awesome! I could definitely see myself living in one of his homes. Every home in the block had a rooftop patio and there was a neighborhood gathering spot which you don't ever see in suburban Edmond.

CuatrodeMayo
10-20-2014, 06:15 PM

That is one ugly home.