View Full Version : A little open carry humor

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 12:11 PM
GRESHAM, OR (KPTV) -

A man openly carrying his new handgun was robbed on a Gresham street by a man with a gun of his own.

Police were called out to the area of 172nd and Glisan Street at 2:10 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators said the 21-year-old victim bought a handgun earlier in the day and was openly carrying it while talking to his cousin.

They said a man approached them and asked for a cigarette. Talk eventually turned to the victim's new purchase, before the robber pulled his own gun from his waistband and said, "I like your gun, give it to me," according to police.

The victim handed over his gun and the suspect ran away.

The suspect is described as a light-skinned black man, 19 to 23 years old, 6'1" with a skinny build. He had black, wavy hair and was clean cut, except for a small patch of facial hair on his chin. The man was wearing gray sweatpants, a white T-shirt and flip-flops.

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a black gun, possibly semi-automatic. The stolen gun is a black Walther brand, model P22. It is semi-automatic and .22LR-caliber.

Anybody who may have information on this case is asked to call the Gresham Police tip line at 503-618-2719.

Of Sound Mind
10-08-2014, 12:31 PM
An armed robbery occurred... and you find that funny?

It'll be okay to laugh when you are the victim of a violent crime, if there happens to be a little irony in the incident?

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I found it amusing that somebody thought they were hot &%^#$ because they were open carrying and it didn't prevent them from getting robbed. If the guy was injured then I would have felt bad.

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I guess you know the guy personally, to know what he was thinking? For all we know, he was on his way home from making the purchase and wanted to show his cousin his new handgun. Assuming anything else, like he thought he was "hot &%^#$" is you just making stuff up and making assumptions.

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 01:17 PM
You guys are entitled to your opinions just as I am. I found it humorous and you didn't and that OK. Doesn't hurt my feelings either way. http://www.sturgis.com/messageboard/images/smilies/m22.gif

Throckmorton
10-08-2014, 01:28 PM
The NRA man said the only way to stop a bad-guy-with-a-gun is a good-guy-with-a-gun, but he didn't tell us what to do in this scenario. Run for the hills, everyone!

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
The NRA man said the only way to stop a bad-guy-with-a-gun is a good-guy-with-a-gun, but he didn't tell us what to do in this scenario. Run for the hills, everyone!

and now we have a bad guy with two guns, one brand new...... I wonder if he got the holster too?

Throckmorton
10-08-2014, 01:35 PM
The only way to stop a bad-guy-with-now-two-guns is an uncommitted-third-party-with-at-least-two-guns, preferably three.

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 01:38 PM
The only way to stop a bad-guy-with-now-two-guns is a noncommited-third-party-with-at-least-two-guns, preferably three.

Naaaa just need one

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNDUnF88ewxpmmieeVi94lyxiyK7UIk mtTKQANxg9K80ubbczphA

MadMonk
10-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Perhaps OP finds it funny because of his presumptions about someone who openly carries and the fact that the victim didn't use his weapon. It's not really funny, but I will grant that it is ironic.

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Perhaps OP finds it funny because of his presumptions about someone who openly carries and the fact that the victim didn't use his weapon. It's not really funny, but I will grant that it is ironic.

Actually I said I found it a little humorous and I find a lot of ironic things humorous, this being one of them.

MadMonk
10-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Exactly - mildly funny in an ironic way, less so in an laugh-out-loud way.

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Exactly - mildly funny in an ironic way, less so in an laugh-out-loud way.

agreed, and if he was injured in any way, other than his pride, I wouldn't have found it humorous.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 02:36 PM
I found it amusing that somebody thought they were hot &%^#$ because they were open carrying and it didn't prevent them from getting robbed. If the guy was injured then I would have felt bad.he got robbed because he was a dumbass. If you did that to me, I'd say "ok" and I'd pull out my gun and act like I'm handing it to you and unload my clip into you. The guy clearly did not have any common sense and is a p*ssy.

CuatrodeMayo
10-08-2014, 02:44 PM
If you did that to me, I'd say "ok" and I'd pull out my gun and act like I'm handing it to you and unload my clip into you.
You've been watching too much tv.

MadMonk
10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
he got robbed because he was a dumbass. If you did that to me, I'd say "ok" and I'd pull out my gun and act like I'm handing it to you and unload my clip into you. The guy clearly did not have any common sense and is a p*ssy.
Until you've had a gun pointed at you, I'd reserve judgement on who is a p*ssy and who is smart about the odds of survival. A .22 pistol is not something to lose your life over.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
You've been watching too much tv.really? So why would I have gun then? To let people take it? If the guy had another guy with a gun and told me to throw mine on the ground, then I'd be screwed. But this was one guy who had the individual take it. Even then, there are plenty of tactics you can use to disarm people. I've taken MMA for the past 7 years and Krav Maga for since this summer and have already learned a lot from Krav Maga.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Until you've had a gun pointed at you, I'd reserve judgement on who is a p*ssy and who is smart about the odds of survival. A .22 pistol is not something to lose your life over.So again, what is the point of even open carrying if you're not going to use it?

Oh, I have had a gun pointed at me. . . more than once.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I guess I'm different from you guys. If someone comes up to you with a gun, you can just give him your gun. I'll take any opportunity I can to protect myself and property and not just assume the guy won't shoot me after I give him my gun.

CuatrodeMayo
10-08-2014, 02:51 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/images/2745079.jpg

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/images/2745079.jpgwhatever man. this is nothing more than another attempt to belittle and shoot down people that are pro-gun and quite frankly the fact that someone would find armed robbery is what is hilarious in my opinion, and not in a "good way" type of humor.

MadMonk
10-08-2014, 03:03 PM
So again, what is the point of even open carrying if you're not going to use it?
One of the main reasons I don't open carry is because you lose that factor of doubt in the mind of a criminal as to whether or not you are armed.

And believe me, if someone's got the drop on you, with their weapon ready to fire at that close of range, you have zero chance of pulling your gun out before they pull the trigger. That whole business of fooling them into believing you were going to give it to them and shooting them is nonsense and totally unrealistic. At best, you'll hit them in the leg with a lucky shot, then BOOM ..you're dead over a lousy .22 and a fatally inflated sense of competence with a newly-purchased gun.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
One of the main reasons I don't open carry is because you lose that factor of doubt as to whether or not you are armed in the mind of a criminal.

And believe me, if someone's got the drop on you, with their weapon ready to fire at that close of range, you have zero chance of pulling your gun out before they pull the trigger. That whole business of fooling them into believing you were going to give it to them and shooting them is nonsense and totally unrealistic. At best, you'll hit them in the leg with a lucky shot, then BOOM ..you're dead over a lousy .22 and a fatally inflated sense of competence with a newly-purchased gun.What I was saying is, the guy asked him to give him the gun because he liked it, so I would taken my gun and very subtlety moved the barrel towards his direction and then as fast as I could him.

It also seems to me, there were other alarms that were raised, but I'm not going to get into that here.

I did make some assumptions here, but I'm not the only one. Believe that. The motive behind posting something like this is clear, and I'm not hating on Kelroy, but he isn't exactly pushing for gun freedom from what I've seen. This just seems like a bad example and I don't find it humors. If others do, good for them.

ultimatesooner
10-08-2014, 03:21 PM
he bought a .22, he probably couldn't get any ammo to go with it

PennyQuilts
10-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I found it amusing that somebody thought they were hot &%^#$ because they were open carrying and it didn't prevent them from getting robbed. If the guy was injured then I would have felt bad.
Do you laugh when cutesy pie cheerleaders in short skirts who have all the boys jumping through hoops get raped? I mean, being the victim of a crime is fuuuunnnnyyyy!!!

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Geeze, I'm as pro-gun as it gets, but if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm giving them my gun. Especially if it's a gun I just purchased, and I haven't spent any time at the range with it. Good gun ownership is smart gun ownership. Gun protection is about protecting your life, not your property.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Geeze, I'm as pro-gun as it gets, but if someone is pointing a gun at me, I'm giving them my gun. Especially if it's a gun I just purchased, and I haven't spent any time at the range with it. Good gun ownership is smart gun ownership. Gun protection is about protecting your life, not your property.ah, so when someone breaks into your house, just give them whatever they want if they don't have a gun because they can't hurt you and you should only protect your life.

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person over property. There's nothing in my house besides my wife and kids that is worth more than a human life. I'm not going to just let them take what they want - I'll call the police, or protect myself as necessary. But if someone has the gun pointing at me first, then I'll cooperate.

I guess we can't all be super action heroes.

Plutonic Panda
10-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Well, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person of that either, I'm just saying, weapons protect more than your life.

Also, how do you know the guy who is robbing you won't kill you after he takes your gun?

jmpokc1957
10-08-2014, 03:48 PM
One of the main reasons I don't open carry is because you lose that factor of doubt in the mind of a criminal as to whether or not you are armed.

And believe me, if someone's got the drop on you, with their weapon ready to fire at that close of range, you have zero chance of pulling your gun out before they pull the trigger. That whole business of fooling them into believing you were going to give it to them and shooting them is nonsense and totally unrealistic. At best, you'll hit them in the leg with a lucky shot, then BOOM ..you're dead over a lousy .22 and a fatally inflated sense of competence with a newly-purchased gun.

Apparently you aren't old enough to of seen the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Lt. Dan Combs and the fast draw "highway safety" shows he used to put on all around the state. I saw him at schools, Boy Scouts, you name it. One of the things he would do is give you a gun( with blanks ) and tell you to fire when you saw him go for his gun. I never saw him lose. He was an amazing guy and a working highway patrolman. He's long since passed away. A part of Oklahoma history.

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person of that either, I'm just saying, weapons protect more than your life.

Also, how do you know the guy who is robbing you won't kill you after he takes your gun?

You don't. But you increase the likelihood (significantly) that he will shoot you if you try to draw on him. If someone has a gun on me and wants my phone, my wallet, my watch, or whatever, I'll hand it over (as pretty much every single law enforcement professional, self defense expert, and safety trainer will advise). I'd prefer to see my kids graduate high school someday.

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 03:56 PM

Not only that, but I'm not a fan of advertising that I have something worth $500-2000 on me. You might as well be waving around a stack of cash.

Mel
10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Conceal carry adds a little what if to the situation. Open carry is for LEO's.

ylouder
10-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't kill an unarmed person over property. There's nothing in my house besides my wife and kids that is worth more than a human life. I'm not going to just let them take what they want - I'll call the police, or protect myself as necessary. But if someone has the gun pointing at me first, then I'll cooperate.

I guess we can't all be super action heroes.

Panda -Some actual great post in this thread and this is one. In my years on this earth I've learned a few things. I'm about as salty as they get and I been in enough situations to have my bearings, but people who have never faced death have a virgin like quality where they think that they can suddenly become Rambo because they purchased a weapon.

It's very easy to forget that troops and cops train constantly with unlimited ammo and training tools and they still have a miserable hit rate. Out of active duty we also fall under a whole different set of rules, don't let a few high profile cases fool you as to your actual rights.

I still would never fire on someone unless they entered my house at night or physically attacking me infront of numerous people.

There is more Grey area that will screw up your entire life than the media would have you believe.

Stew
10-08-2014, 06:37 PM
If it was me I would have stuck my finger in his gun barrel and then when he shot the gun would have exploded in his face. Then we'd all have a good laugh.

Martin
10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
If it was me I would have stuck my finger in his gun barrel (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Barrel) and then when he shot the gun would have exploded in his face. Then we'd all have a good laugh.

is that before or after you share some mentos? -M

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 07:52 PM
he bought a .22, he probably couldn't get any ammo to go with it

I would be too embarrassed to open carry a 22.

http://girlsjustwannahaveguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/judge-strikes-down-dc-gun-ban.jpg

MadMonk
10-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Apparently you aren't old enough to of seen the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Lt. Dan Combs and the fast draw "highway safety" shows he used to put on all around the state. I saw him at schools, Boy Scouts, you name it. One of the things he would do is give you a gun( with blanks ) and tell you to fire when you saw him go for his gun. I never saw him lose. He was an amazing guy and a working highway patrolman. He's long since passed away. A part of Oklahoma history.
I've seen the videos. Pretty cool stuff.

kelroy55
10-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Guess I'm not the only one who saw some humor in this. On today's episode of the Freak n Fool File on Lonestar 96 radio they carried this story and had a good laugh.

White Peacock
10-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Guess I'm not the only one who saw some humor in this. On today's episode of the Freak n Fool File on Lonestar 96 radio they carried this story and had a good laugh.

I definitely thought it was hilariously ironic. That's why I'm personally all for concealed carry, but I think open carry isn't the wisest thing to do. I sure wouldn't advertise my piece while hanging out in Gresham at night. Everybody in Portland knows Gresham isn't the place to not get robbed.

kelroy55
10-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I definitely thought it was hilariously ironic. That's why I'm personally all for concealed carry, but I think open carry isn't the wisest thing to do. I sure wouldn't advertise my piece while hanging out in Gresham at night. Everybody in Portland knows Gresham isn't the place to not get robbed.

Open carry is nothing but showing off, and making sure you're the first one to get it.