View Full Version : Supreme Court refuses to hear gay marriage ban

Pete
10-06-2014, 09:16 AM
"WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court refused to get involved in the national debate over same-sex marriage Monday, leaving intact lower court rulings that will legalize the practice in 11 additional states.

The unexpected decision by the justices, announced without further explanation, immediately affects five states in which federal appeals courts had struck down bans against gay marriage: Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Utah."

High court ruling may lead to gay marriage in 30 states (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/06/supreme-court-gay-marriage/16546959/)

DoctorTaco
10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
This makes me so insanely happy.

PennyQuilts
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
My guess is that the Supremes are holding off as long as they possibly can to directly rule on this. Marriage has traditionally been a state issue and by not ruling, they don't commit themselves or harden opposition to a rapidly changing societal value. At some point, they may feel like it has reached critical mass and the values/culture has changed to where same sex marriage is a right but they don't seem to be in any huge rush to get there.

I could see them stepping in and saying you must have at least the option of a civil union before going all out and saying same sex marriage is a right. What this ruling suggests, to me, is that states (or their courts) who want same sex marriage aren't going to be slapped down. The Court seems to be trying to allow the states to go in that direction and avoid what happened in Roe. Even Gingrich has suggested that she has some regrets about that ruling because the country was going in that direction and the Supreme court ruling hardened opposition. In my short life (ahem) I have never seen such a swift change in values on a given issue as has occurred with same sex marriage and I personally hope they let it ride a bit because I think the way it is going is going to make it be accepted as a legitimate decision of the people rather than something imposed upon them. That doesn't mean that I am against it, rather, I just think it is the wiser course to resolve it and actually put it behind us. I think the people on the fence will pretty much catch up in short order.

kelroy55
10-06-2014, 11:16 AM
PQ.... I wonder what the chances are the SCOTUS won't hear it at all and let the federal appeals courts rulings stand, unless an appeals court rules in the opposite then they will have to hear it.

PennyQuilts
10-06-2014, 12:04 PM
PQ.... I wonder what the chances are the SCOTUS won't hear it at all and let the federal appeals courts rulings stand, unless an appeals court rules in the opposite then they will have to hear it.

I would think it would take a conflict in the appeals court to force their hand. And if they wait long enough to let the lower courts side with same sex marriage, they have a much stronger hand to argue SS marriage is a protected right. At this point, they seem to be signaling to the states that they won't reverse them if that's what they want to do. We'll see.

TheTravellers
10-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I think RBG (or maybe an article that had an interview with her) said they won't do much about it unless more courts start ruling against gay marriage rather than going with the tide.

Pete
10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
News outlets are reporting that they are already issuing marriage licenses to gay couples in Oklahoma.

Pete
10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
I bet Sally Kern's head is exploding.

Swake
10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
News outlets are reporting that they are already issuing marriage licenses to gay couples in Oklahoma.

The two Employees of the Tulsa World that were behind the lawsuit have the first marriage license and are getting married tonight.

catch22
10-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I believe the rapture will begin tonight at midnight.

BrettM2
10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
I believe the rapture will begin tonight at midnight.

So Nic Cage can predict the future!

Bullbear
10-06-2014, 03:22 PM

can that video please go viral

catch22
10-06-2014, 03:26 PM

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_marhurdQpz1ra9mpqo1_250.gif

Plutonic Panda
10-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Oklahoma County Courthouse issuing gay marriage licenses | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com (http://www.koco.com/news/ap-supreme-court-rejects-gay-marriage-appeals-from-5-states-including-ok/28966998)

kelroy55
10-07-2014, 07:09 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/exploding-head-3.jpg

kevinpate
10-07-2014, 07:15 AM
I obtained a new court date in a case yesterday, rescheduling an early morning out of town appearance to a future date. It needed to be done anyway.

The potential of not having to get up early today and be on the road driving if the sun did not rise and the world actually did end ... that was simply a side benefit. :)

bombermwc
10-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Just an example of how when the majority votes on something, it doesn't make it the right thing, And that's why the courts are there...to protect the minority from being abused by the majority. I think its sad that its taken this long for this to be handled. Most opinions are formed based on religious views (which I would argue incorrectly take scripture out of context...don't get me started) and religion should have no bearing on government. I can think of a million reasons why the SC chose not to hear the cases now. But voicing those would be pure speculation at this point....but it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in that pre-debate.

Zuplar
10-07-2014, 07:59 AM
So does this mean the county had gender neutral licenses on hand? I heard that was going to be the first issue.

Pete
10-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Just an example of how when the majority votes on something, it doesn't make it the right thing,

It's called the Tyranny of the Majority and guarding against it is one of the basic principles of our country's freedoms.

Laramie
10-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Individuals' rights should be respected along with the churches willing to consummate those rights . The Supreme Court decided it wouldn't touch this with a ten foot poll.

Sally Kern is troubled by this decision; she needs to stay out of the lives of couples. Why should they be happy? :D

Our governor, Mary Fallin is also disappointed with the Supreme Court's decision.

Martin
10-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Just an example of how when the majority votes on something, it doesn't make it the right thing,

yeah... the outcome of the civil war pretty much determined our nation's official position on popular sovereignty. -M

venture
10-07-2014, 08:30 AM
So does this mean the county had gender neutral licenses on hand? I heard that was going to be the first issue.

I had read that many already had gender neutral on hand because most expected it to eventually happen.

Pete
10-07-2014, 08:34 AM
The problem with marriage all the way along is that from the early days the religious and civil aspects were virtually one in the same. You could get married at the court house or a church and the act was viewed exactly the same by the government.

There should have been a different name for these two things. Perhaps "Marriage" being the legal name and "Blessed Union" being the religious sacrament.

Therefore, anyone feeling like there is some sort of religious component (God wants us to marry to procreate, etc.) could go the church route and everyone else could just have a ceremony that changed legal status.

After all, the dissolution of a marriage is handled by the law and church as completely separate issues. The law is the law but churches make their own judgments about divorce; some cast divorced members out or require some convoluted annulment to meet their criteria for continued membership or eligibility to re-marry within the church.

Thus, the issues around marriage should be separated out between the legal and religious aspects, just like everything else in this country. It never should have been co-mingled in the first place.

PennyQuilts
10-07-2014, 08:44 AM
yeah... the outcome of the civil war pretty much determined our nation's official position on popular sovereignty. -M

Might makes right? It isn't as if it ended because everyone woke up one day and decided to agree on stuff. The south got crushed.

catcherinthewry
10-07-2014, 08:48 AM
"The will of the people has now been overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one." - Mary Fallin

Apparently our governor is pro-discrimination and anti-checks and balances. I find her reaction embarrassing.

kevinpate
10-07-2014, 08:57 AM
"The will of the people has now been overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one." - Mary Fallin

Apparently our governor is pro-discrimination and anti-checks and balances. I find her reaction embarrassing.

I remain mindful 'unaccountable' judges (fed. dist., fed 10th circuit and the supremes alike) were all vetted and seated only after their respective nominations were approved upon the advice and consent of the U.S. Senate.

Martin
10-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Might makes right? It isn't as if it ended because everyone woke up one day and decided to agree on stuff. The south got crushed.

ideologically, no. pragmatically, yes. -M

Bullbear
10-07-2014, 11:16 AM

I agree and her outrage is laughable considering her own Morality in personal matters.

trousers
10-07-2014, 03:42 PM
The two Employees of the Tulsa World that were behind the lawsuit have the first marriage license and are getting married tonight.

I hope they dress nice.

PennyQuilts
10-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I hope they dress nice.

snort!!!! hahaha. I guess you've been reading the other thread... I do too. And congratulations to them.

kevinpate
10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
I am an older hermit. Even so, I really do not care if folks get married in traditional garb, jeans, daisy dukes, superhero garb, images of unicorn tooting glitter clouds, or images of grumpy cat or puddle puppies.

If two people find themselves in love and want to make a go of a life together, may the path be clear, the skies mostly blue and may they on occasion have a chance to discretely and safely skinny dip in clear warm water.

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 07:17 AM
I am an older hermit. Even so, I really do not care if folks get married in traditional garb, jeans, daisy dukes, superhero garb, images of unicorn tooting glitter clouds, or images of grumpy cat or puddle puppies.

If two people find themselves in love and want to make a go of a life together, may the path be clear, the skies mostly blue and may they on occasion have a chance to discretely and safely skinny dip in clear warm water.

I agree but I don't think two guys in daisy dukes is a visual I'm not sure I want. *lol*

PennyQuilts
10-08-2014, 09:55 AM

I think two adults dressed in matching super hero outfits screams unstable, frankly. Even matching sweatshirts is questionable.

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I think two adults dressed in matching super hero outfits screams unstable, frankly. Even matching sweatshirts is questionable.

As an adult who runs Oklahoma's longest running and largest Comic-con event, I have to take a little of umbrage at this comment.

Bullbear
10-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Sheesh let it go already.. they wore super hero t-shirts and picked up a marriage license. big deal

kelroy55
10-08-2014, 10:43 AM

How does getting your marriage license in a Batman and Robin t-shirts scream unstable?

venture
10-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Is it sad that 80% of the discussion in this thread and the other are focused on one couple, picking up their marriage license (read: NOT THE ACTUAL CEREMONY), while wearing a Batman T-Shirt and Robin polo shirt?

The initial posts would lead people to believe that they showed up in full cosplay outfits, which is nothing close to reality. This appears to be nothing more than outrage over not being all dressed up just to pick up the paperwork from the court house...how many were all dressed up when they went to get their marriage license?

Should they be dressed up going to the tag agency next?

jerrywall
10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Is it sad that 80% of the discussion in this thread and the other are focused on one couple, picking up their marriage license (read: NOT THE ACTUAL CEREMONY), while wearing a Batman T-Shirt and Robin polo shirt?

The initial posts would lead people to believe that they showed up in full cosplay outfits, which is nothing close to reality. This appears to be nothing more than outrage over not being all dressed up just to pick up the paperwork from the court house...how many were all dressed up when they went to get their marriage license?

I think it's less outrage than observation.

Bullbear
10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
This thread may just be Observation. the other one in the political forum I would say is outrage. and that is an observation :)

mkjeeves
10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
They are out, then they are in. (SCOTUS) I know many have been hoping for a ruling from the high court. Guess it still might come at some point.

Or not.

Gay marriages temporarily blocked in Idaho, Nevada after ban was struck down by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. (Oklahoma not affected.)

Gay marriages temporarily blocked in Idaho, Nevada (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/gay-marriage-supreme-court-kennedy-idaho-nevada/16907035/)

kevinpate
10-08-2014, 02:23 PM

I'm gonna simply agree to disagree.

Throckmorton
10-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Yes, but be forewarned: They'll make you take your monocle off for the drivers license photo, so don't even bother wearing it in. :Smiley099