View Full Version : Marriott Fined for Blocking Wifi

bombermwc
10-03-2014, 01:37 PM
FCC fines Marriott $600,000 for blocking guests' Wi-Fi - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/travel/marriott-fcc-wi-fi-fine/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)
Here's a nice bit of reading for you. For all those times we've all felt screwed over at a conference because we were sure the hotel was jacking with our mifi type devices....turns out, we were right and the FCC finally took our side!

Stew
10-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I think it's crappy and Marriott should have been upfront about what they're doing but conceptually it's no different than a movie theater not allowing outside food or drink.

bombermwc
10-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Well, it is a little different in that they had purposely configured their access points to broadcast in the sub-channels that would block other wifi transmitters. I don't think you get fined by anyone by blocking outside food/drink. I see what you're saying, because it's the same price screw job. We just don't have laws to protect against that. And remember, if the movie theaters didn't do that, they wouldn't exist because they don't make any money on ticket sales....it's all on concessions.

BBatesokc
10-06-2014, 08:30 AM
... because they don't make any money on ticket sales....it's all on concessions.

Off-topic.... but not a completely accurate statement. At least not from my experience. I was hired about 16 years ago as a marketing consultant for a company that sold advertising that was displayed before the movies in a large theater chain. From the materials I was provided, the theater could get as little as 0% of ticket sales in the first week of a huge opening (but that didn't happen very often). The norm was 20% the first couple of weeks and then the theaters take on tickets sales ramped up to 70% after say 3 weeks. I guess it depends on what one means by "don't make any money..." Does that generate a profit above and beyond costs? Probably not. But, it is still income from tickets sales. Not a biggie, but just dispelling a myth that many people believe. Now, of course, this could have changed some over the last 16 years. I have no idea.

As for the topic at hand. I think that's a pretty crappy thing to do and hopefully this sends a message to others that may be doing similar things.

pure
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
As an AV tech at a 964 room hotel, I have a couple of points to defend Marriott and other hotels/convention centers.

1.) Most meeting planners do not want wifi in their conference rooms. They don't even want it to be an option for their attendees to purchase it from to hotel. They want their attendees to actually pay attention to the conference. This happens to about 95% of our conferences.

2.) In my personal experience, when I have a room full of people, and they're using laptops, phones, hotspots, etc. I will encounter a problem with interference with the wireless microphones. It's not apparent to most, but there will be a pop here or there and/or a bit of static/white noise. I usually have to rescan to find a clean channel on some of the wireless mic systems we have.

Also, I am glad to say that my location does not have anything in place to block/jam wifi or anything else.

Video Expert
10-06-2014, 03:00 PM
As an AV tech at a 964 room hotel, I have a couple of points to defend Marriott and other hotels/convention centers.

1.) Most meeting planners do not want wifi in their conference rooms. They don't even want it to be an option for their attendees to purchase it from to hotel. They want their attendees to actually pay attention to the conference. This happens to about 95% of our conferences.

2.) In my personal experience, when I have a room full of people, and they're using laptops, phones, hotspots, etc. I will encounter a problem with interference with the wireless microphones. It's not apparent to most, but there will be a pop here or there and/or a bit of static/white noise. I usually have to rescan to find a clean channel on some of the wireless mic systems we have.

Also, I am glad to say that my location does not have anything in place to block/jam wifi or anything else.

I don't disagree with your points. However, the article says this particular Marriott was blocking wireless internet for "exhibitors" and thus exhibitors would have to pay the hotel at the rate of near $1,000 per device instead of being able to use MiFi or other wireless methods for their internet access. I assume these "conferences" they mentioned in the article were most likely trade shows instead of the type of business conferences/meetings you probably set up at your facility.