View Full Version : Windows 10

MadMonk
10-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Anyone download the technical preview version yet? I've got it installed on a VM and I'm impressed with it so far. I like the hybrid start menu. It feels like this is what Windows 8 should have been from the beginning.

David
10-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Same here, installed on a VM and everything. I agree completely.

FighttheGoodFight
10-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Put it on VM on one of our Macs. Seems to run well for a preview. I have a feeling 8 might go down as a Vista. Though personally I think 8 runs very well.

Chadanth
10-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I'll have to check it out. Saw some press stuff on it and it looked solid. Widows 8 has a clunky interface, but they did step up the security quite a bit.

Stew
10-02-2014, 08:55 PM
I wonder if once again they'll follow apple's lead and after the initial version 10 start naming their subsequent releases after feral cats. MS has never gone wrong imitating Apple.

Mel
10-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Some of my best friends are feral cats.

MadMonk
10-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I wonder if once again they'll follow apple's lead and after the initial version 10 start naming their subsequent releases after feral cats. MS has never gone wrong imitating Apple.
But they'll do it with their own twist. Perhaps using names of people's housecats.
Windows Katy Purry
Windows Walter Croncat
Windows Mr. Bigglesworth
Windows Morris
Windows Chairman Meow

jerrywall
10-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Know why they jumped from 8 to 10? Because 7, 8, 9.

David
10-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Here's the reason I'm hearing for the version number jump:

http://i.imgur.com/X2popy5.png

Speaking as a programmer, it's hilariously believable.

MadMonk
10-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I think the possibility of problems with version checking is becoming the consensus on the reason for the skip to 10.

Urbanized
10-03-2014, 08:35 AM
An explanation here:

Why Windows 10 isn't named 9: Windows 95 legacy code? | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690724/why-windows-10-isnt-named-9-windows-95-legacy-code.html)

bchris02
10-03-2014, 08:48 AM
I never could embrace Windows 8 no matter how hard I tried. I have used every version since 3.1, including Vista, and I found things to like about every one of them except for Windows 8. I just couldn't get past the clunky interface and the fact they completely alienated desktop users. Windows 8 was a downgrade from Windows 7 if you use a traditional keyboard and mouse.

As for naming it Windows 10, I was certain from the beginning skipping 9 had to do with Windows 9x.

turnpup
10-03-2014, 09:26 AM
But they'll do it with their own twist. Perhaps using names of people's housecats.
Windows Katy Purry
Windows Walter Croncat
Windows Mr. Bigglesworth
Windows Morris
Windows Chairman Meow

They'll want to avoid Windows Toonces for sure.

Stew
10-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Windows Katy Purry
Windows Walter Croncat
Windows Mr. Bigglesworth
Windows Morris
Windows Chairman Meow

LOL, awesome!

Plutonic Panda
01-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Windows 10 upgrade free for owners of Windows 7 and 8.1 - PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-upgrade-free-for-owners-of-windows-7-and-81/)

jerrywall
01-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Wow. That's kind of a big deal.

jn1780
01-21-2015, 12:34 PM
I wonder if this applies to corporations and government. If so, I bet their will be a big rush to upgrade before its not free anymore.

White Peacock
01-21-2015, 01:33 PM
I think Microsoft is really on the right course here. The enhancements made both on the PC version and the mobile version are quite promising. I have a feeling that ultimately, RT users are going to be left high and dry, which would be unfortunate. Some tech sites are saying RT will get the upgrade, but the official site says RT is excluded, so I guess we'll find out.

I'm wondering what the update schedule will be like for Windows Phone devices, and how well the new enhancements will operate on a low-specced phone (as most WP devices tend to be). Have the fully functioning MS Word engine on phone is kind of a dream come true, but on a Lumia 520 I'm doubting it'll be the most enjoyable experience.

While MS was scanning my computer for incompatibility with Windows 8 (I'm still on 7) it found that one of my most used programs (Paint Shop Pro) is incompatible, so I'm guessing it'd be the same problem with Win10, so I probably won't take advantage of the free upgrade. Paint Shop is one of the only bits of software I've actually paid good money for.

MadMonk
01-21-2015, 08:52 PM
Very cool news! I see it is tied to the hardware so if you upgrade afterward, you'll have to pay to re-activate it. It's not that big of a deal for many, but for someone who likes to tinker with their machine it's not ideal. But hey, free upgrade for now!

I've tested Windows a bit since the tech preview and I'm very impressed. It definitely a Windows 8x-killer and is what we are planning to use for a future desktop standard, skipping 8.x altogether. In the mean time Windows 7 is handling things nicely for us.