View Full Version : Warr Acres Proposal

ljbab728
10-01-2014, 11:34 PM
This is a great idea but there seem to be a lot of questions about the proposal.

Oklahoma residents turn out for Warr Acres meetings on proposed Town Center District | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-residents-turn-out-for-warr-acres-meetings-on-proposed-town-center-district/article/5347458)

A plan to draw more businesses and visitors to Warr Acres is being met with skepticism by some residents, who also say they are upset about the lack of code enforcement in rundown areas.

City leaders want to create a Town Center District in the area surrounding NW 50 and N MacArthur. City Attorney Matt Love said the plan has been in the works for about three and a half years. Steps toward making it a reality included two informational meetings at the Warr Acres Community Center on Monday and Tuesday.

If adopted by the nine-member Warr Acres City Council, the district would have stricter codes for new businesses, such as light intrusions, signs and noise limits. People who purchase residential properties within the district could no longer use them as a business.

Beautification would be planned for the area, including new sidewalks and landscaping.

“I applaud efforts to improve the quality of businesses in Warr Acres. However, I don’t have confidence that this proposed solution will accomplish the goal,” Francis said. “I didn’t see a specific unified vision and it only addresses future potential businesses without addressing current business issues.”

Pete
10-02-2014, 02:04 PM
There are some very nice neighborhoods in Warr Acres.

But the complaint about lack of code enforcement is more than valid.

Lots of cars parked on lawns, high weeds, etc.

As a smaller municipality it should be much easier for them to deal with these things.

foodiefan
10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
. . at least they are trying "something". . .

Pete
10-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes, it's good to see some effort. I grew up right on the Warr Acres border and 63rd & MacArthur and 50th & MacArthur have a soft spot in my heart.

When I'm in town, I almost always go to Tim's; one of the few hold-overs from my days at Putnam City.

rezman
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I grew up in Warr Acres, and remember when 50th & Macarthur was just a two lane intersection with a single traffic light swinging on a cable over the center. There was Red Bud Grocery, Gee's Conoco, Sanders Grocery, Tim's drive in, .... The southeast corner was all open field.

The wife and I took a trip over there recently to stop in at the Indian Jewelry place at about 47th & Macarthur. We took a drive around the old neighborhoods, most are still nice, including the street I grew up on. But the shopping centers up at 50th look desolate and delapitated along with a few run down properties along Macarthur up to 63rd. The problem Warr Acres has is that there is no more land to develop, so breathing new life into that intersection could be a good idea if done right.

foodiefan
10-03-2014, 05:56 PM
well. . .let me say this about that. . .live just a little east of the Bethany "core". ..I love this little strip of "small town America". . .that I can go to the Post Office and almost never have more that a couple people in front of me, that there are a lot of small fun shops and restaurants, and there is a small college just across the street. . .it's a little bit of yesterday and I love it. . .and it is "walkable". . .small, but walkable. . .i think this whole area has potential.

jmpokc1957
10-03-2014, 09:03 PM
I grew up in Warr Acres, and remember when 50th & Macarthur was just a two lane intersection with a single traffic light swinging on a cable over the center. There was Red Bud Grocery, Gee's Conoco, Sanders Grocery, Tim's drive in, .... The southeast corner was all open field.

The wife and I took a trip over there recently to stop in at the Indian Jewelry place at about 47th & Macarthur. We took a drive around the old neighborhoods, most are still nice, including the street I grew up on. But the shopping centers up at 50th look desolate and delapitated along with a few run down properties along Macarthur up to 63rd. The problem Warr Acres has is that there is no more land to develop, so breathing new life into that intersection could be a good idea if done right.

50th and MacArthur was never high class, but I remember when It was vibrant commercially. I worked at Kennards Discount Grocery on the NE Corner along with the other businesses that you mentioned. I went to P.C. High school just down 50th and everybody came by the store sometime during the week. It would be nice to see that area regain some of its past vitality. Of course, as with all my memories, that was 40 years ago!

rezman
10-04-2014, 04:06 PM
50th and MacArthur was never high class, but I remember when It was vibrant commercially. I worked at Kennards Discount Grocery on the NE Corner along with the other businesses that you mentioned. I went to P.C. High school just down 50th and everybody came by the store sometime during the week. It would be nice to see that area regain some of its past vitality. Of course, as with all my memories, that was 40 years ago!.

Yes, it was a vibrant area of middle class. Red Bud Grocery became Mini Max for a while before eventually becoming Kennards. In that little strip center to the east of the old Kennards, right after it was built, was Around The Corner Resturant and Seven Seas Tropicals. Inside the strip mall were various offices, and on the back side facing 51st street was Irma's German Foods. The former Goodwill store was originally Tate's Hardware. On the west side of where Kennards was, the side facing Macarthur was occupied by Adair's Cafeteria, Munger's Paint Store and at the north end by 51st was the Warr Acres Post Office. On the west side of Macarthur, was Sanders Grocery Store, which if I'm not mistaken, was there before the shopping center was built where Red Bud was. This is where Mungers Paint and Wallcovering is located now.

On the southwest corner was Neifeh's liquor store, Dapper Dan Cleaners, Tim's Drive In, and the old walk in 7-11 that had the sliding glass doors that would open up almost the whole front of the store.

I noticed too that in front of the old Kennards is the original Red Bud sign, though slightly altered, and still has the red light on top..

CCOKC
10-05-2014, 10:11 AM
I go to St Charles church just to the east of this intersection and have for the majority of my life so I would love to see improvements to this strip center. Rezman, you brought back so many memories for me. Our girl scout troop bought our groceries from Kennards before we went on camping trips. Around the Corner was one of our favorite restaurants growing up. About 10 years ago I worked for CPA in town who had a client who was interested in buying this center. We advised this client against the purchase because the economics just did not work for this particular person as the rent collections were not enough to pay for the debt servicing and the renovations that were required. Hopefully the city of Warr Acres can alleviate this problem to a certain extent.

rezman
10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I go to St Charles church just to the east of this intersection and have for the majority of my life so I would love to see improvements to this strip center. Rezman, you brought back so many memories for me. Our girl scout troop bought our groceries from Kennards before we went on camping trips. Around the Corner was one of our favorite restaurants growing up. About 10 years ago I worked for CPA in town who had a client who was interested in buying this center. We advised this client against the purchase because the economics just did not work for this particular person as the rent collections were not enough to pay for the debt servicing and the renovations that were required. Hopefully the city of Warr Acres can alleviate this problem to a certain extent.

We lived on 47th circle and my family went to St. Charles from the late 50's through the early 70's. The original church was where Beckman Hall is now. We have photos somewhere of mass or a wedding being held in that building. Although I was very young, I remember Father Beckman, who was the first priest at St. Charles when it was first built in the 50's. I also remember when the current church was built and the crane setting cross on top was a big deal and drew lots of on lookers. It's been a long time since I've been in there but I remember the beautiful marble work and mosaic tile murals.

CCOKC
10-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that information. I started going there in 1972 when I was in 1st grade. I went to school there all 8 years. There was some controversy over the large mosaic behind the altar a few years back that is too off the track of this thread to go into but if you are interested pm me and I will tell you what I know of the story.

clz46
10-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Another trip down memory lane...Tate's Hardware was owned by my best friends father and the seven seas was owned by an old friend of mine from high school. That cafeteria was frequented often by us. (CCOKC)

Pete
10-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Even though it's long gone now, I believe the first Taco Bueno in town was at this intersection, where Tai Pei is now.

It was quite the sensation in the 70's.

rezman
10-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Even though it's long gone now, I believe the first Taco Bueno in town was at this intersection, where Tai Pei is now.

It was quite the sensation in the 70's.

That's right... We used to walk over there often. They used wax markers to write your order on a board that faced rearward so the person preparing the food could see what you ordered.