View Full Version : What to do on Halloween

turnpup
10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
A young man in his 20s is new to OKC (from out of state) and would like to know of some fun things to do for Halloween. I figured this would be the best place for him to get ideas. Please help.

Anonymous.
10-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Dressing up and going out to bars/parties is pretty fun. Especially if your costume is well-done/unique.

turnpup
10-01-2014, 12:01 PM
^^^

Good idea. The first thing I did, by the way, was to introduce him to OKCTalk. I let him know that it was the absolute best way to get to know OKC and all the happenings going on.

We are so tethered to the house on Halloween, due to all the trick-or-treaters and such, that I simply drew a blank when he asked about events/places during that weekend. Do they still do the parade (the one Wayne Coyne used to do), or has it been axed entirely?

Roger S
10-01-2014, 12:12 PM
^^^

Good idea. The first thing I did, by the way, was to introduce him to OKCTalk. I let him know that it was the absolute best way to get to know OKC and all the happenings going on.

We are so tethered to the house on Halloween, due to all the trick-or-treaters and such, that I simply drew a blank when he asked about events/places during that weekend. Do they still do the parade (the one Wayne Coyne used to do), or has it been axed entirely?

Don' t take me at 100% correct on this but I thought I heard it was done.... I know I used to have it liked on Facebook and I can't find that page now and can't find anything on the OK Gazette about it.

turnpup
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Don' t take me at 100% correct on this but I thought I heard it was done.... I know I used to have it liked on Facebook and I can't find that page now and can't find anything on the OK Gazette about it.

Yeah, I have that same suspicion, but can't confirm. I seem to remember that once Coyne wasn't involved, it was kind of mainstreamed/made more sanitized. It lost its edgy appeal, if I recall hearing this correctly. Sadly, I never got to attend one of them in the glory years. It would've been cool.

RadicalModerate
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Here's what my wife and I do on Halloween: Turn off the porch light, close the curtain on the window next to the entry, shut off the light in the kitchen (on the other side of that window) and retreat into the living room to watch TV. Sometimes, after turning off the light and closing the curtain we go someplace like Sean Cummings Pub until about 10 pm when the Trick-or-Treaters have retreated back where they came from.

turnpup
10-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Here's what my wife and I do on Halloween: Turn off the porch light, close the curtain on the window next to the entry, shut off the light in the kitchen (on the other side of that window) and retreat into the living room to watch TV. Sometimes, after turning off the light and closing the curtain we go someplace like Sean Cummings Pub until about 10 pm when the Trick-or-Treaters have retreated back where they came from.

Mom, is that you?!!

Seriously, I would get so tickled watching her and my dad argue over Halloween. She couldn't stand doing the whole trick-or-treat thing, but he loved it. He'd come home with more candy and she'd let him have it. I think her attitude changed substantially, however, when my sister had kids and they became first-time grandparents.

OkiePoke
10-01-2014, 12:41 PM
H&8th will be that night I believe. Should be pretty fun. Last one of the year and coinciding with Halloween, I'm sure most people will be dressed up.

OKCretro
10-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I would say h & 8th, also I went to several parties at deep fork grill, not sure if they still do it anymore but they were always fun

Bullbear
10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Ghouls gone wild parade ended last year. the last year was a big hit with lots of folks in attendance and was still an adult parade as it was started by Wayne.. however I guess nobody wanted to take on doing it anylonger and it has now died.
H&8 will be busy and the gay district at 39th and Penn is also having a block party that night as well.

BBatesokc
10-01-2014, 03:37 PM
OKC Halloween Parade :: Home (http://okchalloweenparade.com)

ksearls
10-01-2014, 03:38 PM
The parade is on! And actually the Gazette organized Ghouls Gone Wild and The March of 1000 Flaming Skeletons was part of that larger parade. The new parade is not Gazette sponsored.

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma City Halloween Parade, “A Celebration of the Arts & Creativity,” presented by Air Comfort Solutions will take place at 7 p.m. Oct. 25 in Automobile Alley with floats, marching bands, unique automobiles, walking entries and “Krewes.” Event organizers have added post parade activities, including a costume party and Zombie Ball. Both the parade and all related events will take place in Auto Alley this year.

The parade will step off North Broadway Avenue beginning at NW 13 Street, ending on NW 4 Street. The official starting point will be Oklahoma Contemporary’s new art sculpture at Campbell Park, located at NW 12 Street and Broadway Avenue. Some of the floats will return to Auto Alley as static displays for the costume party.

Entry fees for the parade are $75, and the new event organizers have announced that 100 percent of all entry fees will be donated to Allied Arts to support local arts organizations.

“The parade was originally fashioned after the New York City event that greatly supports the Arts Community in the Big Apple,” said Mike McAuliffe, event co-organizer. “We think the same should be done here in Oklahoma City.”

The costume party and Zombie Ball will take place in Auto Alley immediately following the parade. Post parade events will include bands, static displays, entertainment, food and beverages. In addition to the street party, guests can attend the Zombie Ball. There will be a limited number of tickets available for this new outdoor event.

“My So Called Band” will headline the list of musical groups playing the event. Tickets for the Zombie Ball can be purchased online at OKC Halloween Parade :: Home (http://www.okchalloweenparade.com).

“After speaking with past parade participants and Auto Alley merchants, we decided to shorten the parade route and keep all festivities in Auto Alley,” said Brent Skarky, event co-organizer. “We are adding a costume party, Zombie Ball and a few other surprises. Our goal is to ensure Oklahoma City has an official Halloween celebration destination every year.”

Parade organizers include former television news anchor and host Brent Skarky and longtime community leader and event organizer Mike McAuliffe.

To date, major sponsors include Air Comfort Solutions, FOX 25, KJ-103, St. Anthony, BancFirst, Party Galaxy, Automobile Alley, Iguana Mexican Grill, Claims Management Resources, BMI+ImageNet, Jagermeister, MindsEye, Next Star Studios, Downtown OKC, Waste Management, Feller Sniders, Brewer Entertainment, SHINE, Oklahoma County, BS Productions and OKC Events & Entertainment. Additional information is available online at OKC Halloween Parade :: Home (http://www.okchalloweenparade.com).

Achilleslastand
10-01-2014, 04:12 PM
For a few Halloweens I would don a very scary mask{one of the high $$ ones} as well as a cape, boots and gloves then I would have an assistant tie me to a chair on the front porch. Many of the kids couldn't figure out if was real or not and I would make small subtle movements like twitch a finger to get a reaction out of them.
A couple of kids did run off the porch at full speed, drop their bag of candy and not even come back to get it.
It was evil but man it was fun....

Easy180
10-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Not sure what we are doing but whatever it is it will involve Milk Duds. :Smiley051

hoya
10-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I like to dress up in as scary a costume as possible and scare the hell out of small children.

Mel
10-01-2014, 06:59 PM

Ha! A kindred spirit. We watch scary movies and have our adult beverages at home.