View Full Version : Where to get pumpkins cheap (30+)?

BBatesokc
09-23-2014, 04:36 AM
The wife and I will be hosting a volunteer appreciation event for the individuals & families that volunteer with a non-profit we work with. I'm needing to locate 30-50 pumpkins that they can carve/paint.

Last year we did the event late in October and I was able to find marked down pumpkins for about $3 each (large pumpkins). But, doing it so late the weather was not very good.

We want to do it earlier so we can do it outside and have a band and Roxy's Ice Cream truck.

Anyone know a retailer or even wholesaler that has good price for quantities of 30+?

rezman
09-23-2014, 04:42 AM
You might try Parkhurst Pumpkin Patch out by Arcadia. They're out on NE 178th between Hiwassee & Choctaw Roads. 315-7392

kelroy55
09-23-2014, 06:41 AM
World Championship Punkin Chunkin (http://punkinchunkin.com/)

Punkin Chunkin : Science Channel (http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/punkin-chunkin)

They may not be in the best condition.

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2014, 08:25 AM
We bought large pumpkins at Aldi last year for $2.99 each, IIRC.

turnpup
09-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Brian, the Sam's Club at I-40 just west of Meridian has gotten their pumpkin shipment. As of late last week, it looked like they had a whole bunch, perhaps the number you need. They are enormous this year, and sell for just under $10 apiece. I know that's more than you were wanting to pay, but if you get in a pinch, you might be able to utilize them.

BBatesokc
09-24-2014, 05:30 AM
Brian, the Sam's Club at I-40 just west of Meridian has gotten their pumpkin shipment. As of late last week, it looked like they had a whole bunch, perhaps the number you need. They are enormous this year, and sell for just under $10 apiece. I know that's more than you were wanting to pay, but if you get in a pinch, you might be able to utilize them.

Yeah, I checked out another Sam's location. They do have some amazing pumpkins. I will most definitely buy a couple as decoration at the house. But my total pumpkin budget is about $100-ish so I need to stay in the $3 range.

kelroy55
09-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Not on the cheap but this guy has a cool idea...

Farmer created a monster: 'Pumpkinstein' - CNN.com Video (http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/09/23/pkg-farmer-grows-ghoulish-pumpkins.kcal-kcbs.html)

turnpup
09-25-2014, 11:02 AM
^^^

Cool! The things people think of.

PennyQuilts
09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Not on the cheap but this guy has a cool idea...

Farmer created a monster: 'Pumpkinstein' - CNN.com Video (http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/09/23/pkg-farmer-grows-ghoulish-pumpkins.kcal-kcbs.html)
Well, that's just cool.

I've been working on my $4.99 pumpkin from Wal Mart, today. Love this time of year.

CCOKC
09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Last year I got free pumpkins from the Myriad Gardens. They gave them away to members after the Pumpkinville event. I think they were $1 for nonmembers. They were the most beautiful pumpkins I had ever seen. I used them for centerpieces for a banquet for a nonprofit I am involved with. I am sure you can't wait that long but maybe someone else can use the information.

Urbanized
09-26-2014, 03:04 AM
I like pumpkin pie. Not especially relevant to the discussion I know, but I thought I'd share.

Urbanized
09-26-2014, 03:06 AM
And by "share" I mean sharing my opinion, NOT my pumpkin pie. If I had some pumpkin pie, I would NOT be sharing it.

kevinpate
09-26-2014, 06:19 AM
... If I had some pumpkin pie, I would NOT be sharing it.

And I for one wouldn't ever try to take your pie from you. Not saying you're known to be a billy badarse or anything, but I figure anyone mystical enough to teach his staff to walk on water ought not be trifled with, not even for pie.

turnpup
09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Pumpkin pie, cold, right out of the 'fridge, with Cool Whip on top.

kelroy55
09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Pumpkin pie, cold, right out of the 'fridge, with Cool Whip on top.

A sweet potato pie ranks right up there too

Urbanized
09-27-2014, 12:33 PM
And I for one wouldn't ever try to take your pie from you. Not saying you're known to be a billy badarse or anything, but I figure anyone mystical enough to teach his staff to walk on water ought not be trifled with, not even for pie.

I'm certainly not a "tough guy," but I wouldn't recommend getting between me and pie.

tfvc.org
09-27-2014, 02:58 PM
It might be a bit late, but you can get pumpkin seeds for a dollar or so. Maybe next year plant a pumpkin patch? It sounds like a yearly thing.

Urbanized
09-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I like eating pumpkin seeds too!

BBatesokc
09-28-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm certainly not a "tough guy," but I wouldn't recommend getting between me and pie.

Sounds like a good quote for someone's headstone........

turnpup
09-28-2014, 08:20 AM

Hope you never have to stand in line at Pie Junkie. It might not be pretty.

oklip955
09-28-2014, 10:32 AM
On topic, call some of the fruit/vegtable wholesalers and see if they can cut you a deal. Now off topic, pumpkin pie is made with Hubard squash. Now what to do with your pumpkins left over from yard décor. Cut into chunks and add a little water to a large pot. Cook until tender, drain water, squish out as much water as possible then use immersion blender. Cook down until thick, add your favorite soup stuff and you have pumpkin soup.

ctchandler
09-28-2014, 12:04 PM
oklip955,
You mean to tell me that my aunt scraped all the pulp out of a pumpkin and then replaced it with Hubard squash? I don't think so, she made pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins grown in their garden. I don't know what's in a can labeled "pumpkin", but I know what was in my aunt's pumpkin pie, and it was pumpkin.
C. T.
Now off topic, pumpkin pie is made with Hubard squash.

oklip955
09-28-2014, 07:18 PM
You can make pumkin pie out of pumpkins even the large ones. I'm just saying the can stuff is made out of Hubbard squash. Basically you can make pie out of about any winter squash.