View Full Version : Workplace violence

kelroy55
09-17-2014, 02:46 PM
There are some days, like today, I can understand a co-worker going postal. For somebody that's educated my co-worker does and asks the dumbest crap. He'll ask a question and I'll answer and he says 'Nope, that's not it' Than why ask !!!! Homer Simpson has a better grasp than he does. DOH

Mel
09-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't think I have ever worked anywhere that I wasn't tempted to meet that "special" someone and have a "Come To Jesus" talk with them.

kelroy55
09-18-2014, 09:38 AM
I know... this guy was on my last nerve today and I wondered how he ever got the job in the first place.

Mel
09-18-2014, 02:16 PM
For your co-worker: 9158 9159

Print them up and post them at his work station.

Stew
09-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I live by the motto that it is far better to be annoying than annoyed.

RadicalModerate
09-19-2014, 08:50 AM
np

RadicalModerate
09-20-2014, 07:52 AM
There are some days, like today, I can understand a co-worker going postal. For somebody that's educated my co-worker does and asks the dumbest crap. He'll ask a question and I'll answer and he says 'Nope, that's not it' Than why ask !!!! Homer Simpson has a better grasp than he does. DOH

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/cluelessnessdemotivator.jpg

bluedogok
09-20-2014, 10:36 AM
There are a lot of "highly educated idiots" out there, just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you are automagically smart. For some it just means they persevered, which in and of itself can be a good thing but some don't understand the difference.

tfvc.org
09-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I have noticed from my days at working for a cable company at Florida that a lot of times the more educated you are the dumber you become. I talked to more than my fair share of doctors who were as dumb as a rock. Some of them demanded my respect just because they had a MD hanging at the end of their name. I refused to address them as dr so and so.

PennyQuilts
09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Most people are better in some areas than others. Areas that require problem solving (often the result of insecurity) often trip up some, others lack a grasp of mechanics, public relations, lack business sense, etc. The best ones attempt to remediate themselves but others don't restrict themselves to areas where they have a good grasp. Perhaps the most important thing I learned as a guardian ad litem was that education only goes so far, and there are plenty of very intelligent people out there in all walks of life. Moreover, they often are complete geniuses (compared to me) in their given area of expertise. Cluelessness crosses all walks of life, despite educational level because it isn't really about what you know, but what you do with it.

RadicalModerate
09-20-2014, 09:07 PM
There are a lot of "highly educated idiots" out there, just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you are automagically smart. For some it just means they persevered, which in and of itself can be a good thing but some don't understand the difference.

A brilliant young lady, relatively speaking, just shared a reminder related to this topic:
"When life gets you down or throws you a curve or makes you think about going postal, simply remember:
You are the sperm that won."

Tritone
09-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Highly educated idiots: one of my favorite teachers in high school used to say some folks were "educated beyond their intelligence."

rezman
09-20-2014, 09:45 PM
In the early days of my current employment, there were several times when the gloves came off between coworkers and things were settled on the shop floor or out back. When the boss finally got wind of it and came around asking, it was heads down and nobody saw anything. Of course, times have changed and you can't get away with that any more. At another place that I worked back in the early 80's, I had a guy who kept messing with me and when he finally put hands on me, we went upstairs in the mezanine above the offices where he quickly recieved the education he had been begging for.

There's people who can tell you all about how grass grows and can't drive a nail. Then there's the folks who can fix anything that moves, and can't balance a checkbook. But the thing that I see lacking these days, especially with some of my college educated coworkers, is common sense.

RadicalModerate
09-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Most people are better in some areas than others. Areas that require problem solving (often the result of insecurity) often trip up some, others lack a grasp of mechanics, public relations, lack business sense, etc. The best ones attempt to remediate themselves but others don't restrict themselves to areas where they have a good grasp. Perhaps the most important thing I learned as a guardian ad litem was that education only goes so far, and there are plenty of very intelligent people out there in all walks of life. Moreover, they often are complete geniuses (compared to me) in their given area of expertise. Cluelessness crosses all walks of life, despite educational level because it isn't really about what you know, but what you do with it.

I think that the above observations may have something to do with a lack of Emotional Intelligence as compared to IQ. Here, in the America of today, we apparently have been caught in a sociopolitical loop that has begun to affect the effectiveness of what used to be government. That is NOT a "political" statement. It simply is what it appears to be. Isn't it? =) I think it may be related to something akin to all that inbreeding of royalty back in the 19th Century. Except with modern "communication" tools . . . for spreading the Ignorance and Stupidity Virus wider and faster.

PennyQuilts
09-21-2014, 06:20 AM
When I was a sweet young thang starting my first teaching job, a middle aged male teacher decided I was, well, a sweet young thang who needed his special attention. I didn't know how to handle it. I didn't know if he was connected; didn't know the culture of the place; didn't want to make waves when I'd just gotten my first "real" job; didn't want to be a trouble maker; worried they would not believe me, that I was hysterical, etc. I quickly went from thrilled that I had a "career" to miserable and dreading going to the break room on my planning period because he and I were normally the only ones there.

This went on several weeks and in addition to the anxiety of his creepy, unwanted attention, I knew that avoiding the break room would not endear me to my fellow teachers who would start to think I was anti social. Finally, one day, I went to lunch and the fates interceded because he wasn't in there and perhaps because of that, a teacher made a snarky comment about the guy. I didn't know he was despised by the women. I literally burst into tears of relief.

A few minutes later, to my combination of horror and profound gratitude, the jerk walked in and an old battle-ax of a teacher launched into him in front of all of us. She used rather coarse language and informed him that if he DARED bother the new teacher anymore and she heard about it, she'd accompany me straight to the administration and the union (she was our rep). The guy made not a word of denial but left like a cowed mouse. Never bothered me, again and I learned something, that day.

It was 1987.

kelroy55
09-22-2014, 01:57 PM
dear God.... this friggin idiot didn't bother to validate his data as his programs ran and after two days I had to point out it wasn't putting out the data we needed. He sounded like Rick Perry 'ooooops'

Mel
09-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Hang in there kelroy. I to do not suffer fools gladly either. It's rough to keep it bottled in nowadays.

kelroy55
09-23-2014, 06:39 AM
He's a nice guy but clueless. I've worked until 9PM last night to try and fix his mistakes.

RadicalModerate
09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
He's a nice guy but clueless. I've worked until 9PM last night to try and fix his mistakes.

Perhaps you should have a meeting of the minds (or mimes? =) before things get out of hand . . .
http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/meetingsdemotivator.jpg

kelroy55
09-24-2014, 07:45 AM
I worked until 8:30 last night and I think I finally got him squared away but as you know when you make something idiot proof they just find bigger idiots.