View Full Version : Where single adults are most likely to live

bchris02
09-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Singles Now Make Up More Than Half the U.S. Adult Population. Here's Where They All Live - CityLab (http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/09/singles-now-make-up-more-than-half-the-us-adult-population-heres-where-they-all-live/380137/)

Interesting article here. Out of large cities, OKC came in 45 out of 51 for having the lowest number of single adults living here. While that isn't surprising given the young marriage culture here, what is surprising is cities commonly viewed as singles meccas such as Denver, Raleigh, and Minneapolis/St Paul are right with OKC. Equally surprising is the fact Austin and Portland didn't crack the top 10. It's also pretty interesting that the difference between the highest and lowest isn't near as big as one might think. Here is the list.

Rank State Share Single
1 New Orleans 58.0%
2 Memphis 57.7%
3 Miami 56.7%
4 Los Angeles 55.8%
5 Buffalo 55.1%
6 Las Vegas 55.0%
7 Providence 55.0%
8 Philadelphia 54.6%
9 New York 54.5%
10 Baltimore 54.3%
42 Houston 50.3%
43 Charlotte 50.3%
44 Denver 50.1%
45 Oklahoma City 50.0%
46 Dallas 49.3%
47 Kansas City 49.1%
48 Minneapolis-St. Paul 48.7%
49 Raleigh 47.8%
50 Salt Lake City 47.3%
51 San Jose 47.1%

Dave Cook
09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Not surprising at all.

Oklahoma City is a GREAT place to marry and raise a family. Having said that, it's dreadfully boring for singles over 35 or 40. There are far more single people - WITH NO CHILDREN - in the larger cities that you don't have to build a social schedule around.

Plutonic Panda
09-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing this was neutral gender? Would be nice to see where the most single female adults reside

Mel
09-15-2014, 11:16 PM
by themselves

ljbab728
09-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Oklahoma City is a GREAT place to marry and raise a family. Having said that, it's dreadfully boring for singles over 35 or 40. There are far more single people - WITH NO CHILDREN - in the larger cities that you don't have to build a social schedule around.

That currently describes my situation but I hardly find it to be dreadfully boring.

Urbanized
09-16-2014, 07:17 AM
I'm guessing this was neutral gender? Would be nice to see where the most single female adults reside
You really mean single female COUGARS, right?

BBatesokc
09-16-2014, 08:11 AM
...it's dreadfully boring for singles over 35 or 40. There are far more single people - WITH NO CHILDREN - in the larger cities that you don't have to build a social schedule around.

Don't believe that for a minute as a blanket statement that applies to most singles in that age range. We know lots of single people that are in our social circle and meet plenty all the time when we participate in our preferred activities - going to outdoor events (free concerts downtown, food truck evening events, etc.), when we interact with people in our gym classes or when we ride with organized groups on the Lake Draper mountain bike trails or organized kayak floats or when we go to all the different art shows in and around downtown or even the free outdoor events in Edmond. Lots of active singles really enjoying themselves. But it all just depends on the individual, what their lifestyle and social skills are like and what their expectations are. Not saying being single in OKC may not suck for you, but in general I thinks its a pretty good place to be single.

Rover
09-16-2014, 09:02 AM
If the standard of exciting singles place is one of lots of places to get drunk and take home someone to have an overnight relationship with, then OKC is probably dreadfully boring. If living a balanced life doing things like BB describes is the standard, then I think OKC is probably a good place to be.

adaniel
09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
My time in OKC, I was largely single or at most casually dating, and honestly I had a blast. Full disclosure: I was in my 20's, pretty involved overall, and lived in the urban core.

While you can be okay single outside of your 20's, I think the last two are pretty imperative in a mid sized city like OKC. The suburbs here, just like everywhere else, are simply more conducive to a family enviornment. It also helps to have a good network formed through involvement and activities.

Marriage in general, even in a conservative place like Oklahoma, is simply not a big deal for a lot of people anymore...A nearly 50% divorce rate and millions of broken homes will do that. Living a fufilling life as a single person is possible in OKC, provided you are willing to stay as "connected" as possible.

Dave Cook
09-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Perhaps it has more to do with being 'connected'. I've lived in much larger, major cities and it seemed like it was far easier getting together with other singles on the spur of the moment.

There are things to do in OKC but I found spur of the moment get-togethers far more difficult in OKC....as plans constantly depended upon PTA meetings, little league practices, approval from the spouse, etc.

ljbab728
09-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Perhaps it has more to do with being 'connected'. I've lived in much larger, major cities and it seemed like it was far easier getting together with other singles on the spur of the moment.

There are things to do in OKC but I found spur of the moment get-togethers far more difficult in OKC....as plans constantly depended upon PTA meetings, little league practices, approval from the spouse, etc.

Well, if you talking about spur of the moment get-togethers with married people with children that would be true anywhere.

BBatesokc
09-17-2014, 05:06 AM

You seem to be under the impression all single women in OKC are single moms? Not sure where you're meeting your lady friends, but virtually none of our single female friends are moms. They are almost exclusively professionals (28-60) who either don't want kids, just never had them, are putting it off or simply haven't met anyone they want to settle down with. A few are old enough their kids are adults but most of our single friends are in their late 20's to early/mid 30's.

That said, when I met my wife she was a single mom. We celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary this week and we both still feel like we married our best friend and we've always lived extremely active lifestyles. So, I wouldn't knock the possibility if finding the perfect single mom.

However, I don't know how many quality single moms necessarily want a man who rolls his eyes at the thought that a single mother actually puts her child's needs (school, activities, etc) first over the wants of some dude looking for a good time..

Bellaboo
09-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Not surprising at all.

My 91 year old mom says if you're bored, then you are a boring person.

OKCisOK4me
09-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Oklahoma also has a high divorce rate...so this probably counts all the divorced singles...not just young single folks.

Dave Cook
09-17-2014, 02:02 PM
My 91 year old mom says if you're bored, then you are a boring person.

Can you provide me with your mom's number? And hurry up before she kills over.

BBatesokc
09-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Can you provide me with your mom's number? And hurry up before she kills over.

Ah, now we know why you're single and can't find a companion - it's your sparkling personality.

Urbanized
09-17-2014, 05:03 PM
At the risk of pointing out something that everyone else already knows, the saying is KEELS OVER. Sorry; boat guy. Either way it's still insensitive.