View Full Version : 40 degrees cooler in OK than CA in SUMMER

Pete
09-13-2014, 12:07 PM
This has absolutely got to be a first...

We've had a pretty mild summer here in Southern California; I haven't even turned on my A/C once.

However, today it is supposed to be 96 at my house, and hotter in the valleys. It rarely gets much above 80 here, let alone 90 or 100.

So, for once I'm envious of the summer temps in Oklahoma!

And even though it hasn't been particularly hot here until now, the winter was very warm and dry. We are the throws of a historic drought and to this point of the year, it's been the warmest on record for the area.

We are going to have a horrific fire season this fall.

bchris02
09-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Oklahoma usually sees its first cold snap like this during the final week of September or early October. It's always after the autumnal equinox. This is the first time in my memory that there has been a cool snap like this so early. Things usually start cooling off this time of year but "cooling off" means going from highs in the 100s and lows in the upper 70s to highs in the upper 80s and lows in the 60s.

catch22
09-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Well, this is a one day anomaly, not really a change of weather pattern. We return to the upper 80's this week and will probably fall back into our average temperature decline.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2014, 01:35 PM
In case you haven't been outside to experience it,
Today is just about as perfect a day as can be found in Oklahoma:
Mild temperature.
No wind.
No threat of tornadoes.
(dang . . . I hope the New Madrid Fault doesn't do something to spoil it . . . =)

(believe it or not: I've already heard two different individuals bitc--- ahem--complain about how "cold" it is.))
(and neither one of them reside in Ripley)
(for zookeeper: Ripley is a little town in Oklahoma. believe it or not. =)
it's a long way from Ringling . . . not to mention Barnum . . . or Bailey . . . =)

AP
09-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I am in SoCal right now and all my friends back home are talking about wearing jackets and things. So bizarre.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Anyone who wears a jacket today is a wuss. The temp is exactly right. Like what you would set the thermostat for in the summer. I will, however, light a fire in the fire pit on the patio. Later. As we dine al fresco. =)

Mel
09-13-2014, 02:32 PM
It's Fair time. Of course it's cooler and wetter. We went last night. Perfect temp but even less for "older folks" to look at.

kevinpate
09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
A/C off, windows open, fans drawing in more fresh air. Only thing that would make this afternoon better would be if I had thought to bring home some more grub from Big Daddy's in Noble to snack on today and tomorrow.

Met up with someone earlier today and BD's was a decent enough midpoint. And well, since I was there anyway ... would have been rude not to order something.

Good, good decision on my part.

Drove home with windows and speed lowered, and taking it easy for at least another hour.

Mel
09-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Does Cali have a state fair?

Bullbear
09-13-2014, 02:57 PM
day 3 with no a/c on and windows open.. life is good in OKC.
i love this weather! and love the mild summer we had..

bluedogok
09-13-2014, 04:01 PM
We had a light dusting of snow on the cars yesterday morning (we are around 6,100 feet elevation), got down to 39 Friday morning. It was drizzly and breezy most of yesterday and temps around 50. Today we are near 80 and sunny.

Bunty
09-13-2014, 09:06 PM
(for zookeeper: Ripley is a little town in Oklahoma. believe it or not. =)
it's a long way from Ringling . . . not to mention Barnum . . . or Bailey . . . =)

But nearby Glencoe is a bigger and better town and sets higher. Ripley is stuck in the depths of the Cimarron River valley where you can't see far at all.

RadicalModerate
09-13-2014, 10:36 PM
But nearby Glencoe is a bigger and better town and sets higher. Ripley is stuck in the depths of the Cimarron River valley where you can't see far at all.

Dang. I done fergot all about Glencoe. Thanks for reminding me that the denizens thereof are cooler than Californiationites.
At least today. =)

kevinpate
09-14-2014, 05:21 AM
bluedogok, my daughter and her family are up Cheyenne way at EFW. She was not real happy about having some snow outside yesterday. Their last snow of the spring was in May, and for it to already be flirting with being back, no matter how minor, was not a smile inducing moment for her. The gbabies on the other hand, they were thrilled.

bluedogok
09-14-2014, 09:43 AM
We were on the very fringe of the snow down here in far SE Denver Metro, I know they were supposed to get quite a bit more than we were. We have some projects going on at Warren right now.

I have been through September snows before, I was up here for a friend's wedding the week after Labor Day weekend in 1993 (he was from OKC she was from here) and it was beautiful weather the week of the wedding (a large, event type wedding). We went to the Broncos game on Sunday afternoon, it was 93 degrees that day. We had his father-in-law's season ticket for the Rockies game on Monday night and woke up with 6" of snow on the ground and temps in the 30's, needless to say the baseball game was cancelled that day. They can come in quick but this time of year (and late spring) they disappear fast.