View Full Version : Olive Garden: Not what it once was

bchris02
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Olive Garden And Its Flavorless Pasta Get Ripped Apart In 294-Page Report (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/12/olive-garden-pasta_n_5810914.html)

I really think Olive Garden has jumped the shark. They have become a fast food joint but still market themselves as an "upscale casual" Italian restaurant and are priced accordingly. I think its time they rebrand into a Fazoli's or return to their roots and start making real food again. They need to start serving a wide variety of wines other than the cheap, sub-$10 bottles you can get at any liquor store. I am astounded by how many people think Olive Garden is the pinnacle of fine dining and how many wedding proposals happen there. It goes to show that Darden's marketing has worked but with the competition today they could see themselves left behind.

Pete
09-12-2014, 02:17 PM
BTW, the OG on Memorial near Quail Springs is getting a $350K remodel.

All their locations seem to do pretty well and they are expanding, so clearly lots of people like eating there.

bradh
09-12-2014, 02:20 PM
who the hell considers the OG upscale Italian dining? It is what it is, a chain. To suggest it rebrand to compete with Fazoli's is like suggesting the Thunder move to the WNBA.

kevinpate
09-12-2014, 03:02 PM
OG - proof that you can in fact fool some of the people all of the time?

SoonerDave
09-12-2014, 04:19 PM
I never thought OG was that good to begin with - the idea that somehow it has "fallen from grace" implies that it ever was IN a state of grace. More like a state of grease.

We used to go there (literally) 20 years ago back with our church singles group for lunch every so often, but that was out of necessity/absence of choice - surely wasn't due to some desperate need to "Get Gardened." When the prices went up and the food got worse, and we still found torn sweetener packets in the bottom of obviously unwashed dishes, we stopped going. Perhaps ten years ago (?) my wife and I succumbed to the "maybe we were too hard on the place" muse and went to Olive Garden on a pseudo datenight, but it was just as we recalled - way overpriced for way under-good food. Never been back, don't plan to, no matter how squiggly they make their logo.

RadicalModerate
09-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Perhaps a New Book by this Cultural Commentator is overdue?
http://media.salon.com/2001/07/joe_queenan.jpg

Maybe something along the lines of . . .
Olive Garden Schmolive Garden
(and other corporate Food Failures in Amurka)(?)

In all honesty, I haven't eaten at Olive Garden in so long that I don't know how far they have fallen.
Last time I et' thar . . . 'twarnt so bad . . . seems like . . .

I still like Johnny Carino's and ROMANOs macaroni grill. yet Vito's is somehow . . . superior?
(haven't tried the Kreb's Invasion over on 63rd yet . . . Gabriella's?)

Tomorrow morning, my SweetWife and I are going to the Farmer's Market to buy whatever is fresh, followed by a visit to Ingrid's for a light lunch. Later, I'm going to do a Local Jelly (Gigi's of Noble, OK) glazed chicken thing (local chicken, kindly raised and butchered) with a Jiffy Cornbread Casserole. While listening to a Prairie Home Companion. =)

RadicalModerate
09-12-2014, 10:34 PM
I never thought OG was that good to begin with - the idea that somehow it has "fallen from grace" implies that it ever was IN a state of grace. More like a state of grease.

We used to go there (literally) 20 years ago back with our church singles group for lunch every so often, but that was out of necessity/absence of choice - surely wasn't due to some desperate need to "Get Gardened." When the prices went up and the food got worse, and we still found torn sweetener packets in the bottom of obviously unwashed dishes, we stopped going. Perhaps ten years ago (?) my wife and I succumbed to the "maybe we were too hard on the place" muse and went to Olive Garden on a pseudo datenight, but it was just as we recalled - way overpriced for way under-good food. Never been back, don't plan to, no matter how squiggly they make their logo.

I feel the same way about Bellini's in The Waterford.
Last time I was there, wandering Cassady waifs, dressed in black, looking for something to do put me off my feed.
Of course, that was under former management of the Semi-Historic Dining Location.
On the Southern Cusp of the School Zone
Known as Nichols Hills. =)

I'm sure it's better now . . .
Yet I refuse to check it out.
Obviously, I am unfair. =)

Oh! Thanks, Mr. Pate for the Barnes and Nobel and Bailey reminder =)^
http://images.indiebound.com/485/272/9780307272485.jpg

^OG - proof that you can in fact fool some of the people all of the time?

RadicalModerate
09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Olive Garden And Its Flavorless Pasta Get Ripped Apart In 294-Page Report (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/12/olive-garden-pasta_n_5810914.html)

I really think Olive Garden has jumped the shark. They have become a fast food joint but still market themselves as an "upscale casual" Italian restaurant and are priced accordingly. I think its time they rebrand into a Fazoli's or return to their roots and start making real food again. They need to start serving a wide variety of wines other than the cheap, sub-$10 bottles you can get at any liquor store. I am astounded by how many people think Olive Garden is the pinnacle of fine dining and how many wedding proposals happen there. It goes to show that Darden's marketing has worked but with the competition today they could see themselves left behind.

Darden's track record on Restaurant Management seems to indicate that they totally suck.
Doesn't it? . . . I think the correct answer is Yup.
(ok . . . that was a personal pissed off response to the closing of the local Bahama Breeze . . .) =)

Bunty
09-14-2014, 11:31 AM
I quit going to Olive Garden due to its poor service and mediocre food. Service was slow. My coffee came out cold. I complained about it and was brought out another cup of coffee. It was still cold. The lasagna was mediocre at best and not as good as the lasagna at a mom and pop Italian restaurant. It didn't happen to me, but I've heard someone gave them a credit card and someone else's credit card came back.

gopokes88
09-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Why would anyone ever eat at Olive Garden? It's the epitome of culture less chain food in America. There is literally nothing special about it. It's so average they have to practically give away their breadsticks and pasta.

bchris02
09-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Why would anyone ever eat at Olive Garden? It's the epitome of culture less chain food in America. There is literally nothing special about it. It's so average they have to practically give away their breadsticks and pasta.

I agree. A lot of people however seem to think its upscale for whatever reason. I have known too many couples get engaged there.

gopokes88
09-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I agree. A lot of people however seem to think its upscale for whatever reason. I have known too many couples get engaged there.

It was at one point was in the 90s. Then they expanded, sacrificed quality to keep costs low and basically became the wal mart of Italian food.

Stew
09-14-2014, 07:46 PM
I haven't eaten at Olive Garden in awhile but the last time I did my general impression was I could get better Italian from a can. Okay, though, to be fair I think the same about every Italian restaurant I've ever eaten at. I came to the realization that I just don't like Italian food unless it's from a can.

mugofbeer
09-14-2014, 08:34 PM
OG is like any other chain. It fills a niche. If it doesn't float your boat, look for a new boat. Its successful, they vary their menu and I like their salads. There are better Italian restaurants and occasionally I spend up for them.

Plutonic Panda
09-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Went to Olive Garden the other night it wasn't that bad. Pretty place with ok food. Don't know what all the hate is about. :p

Are they going to serve your food with sterling silverware? No. But it's not bad to take a date or have lunch with a friend.

mugofbeer
09-17-2014, 10:35 PM
The dinner I had there last week with my family was excellent. Only suggrstion I have is that they need new seating by the door. I felt like i was sitting on the floor.

bchris02
09-17-2014, 10:47 PM
The thing about Olive Garden is there is much better Italian food for the price. It's not my least favorite restaurant, but if I want Italian, I would prefer to go somewhere where they actual prepare the food on-site. I will only go to Olive Garden of I'm in a group and that's where everybody wants to go.

td25er
09-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't see the hate for chains. Chili's, OG, Outback, Texas Roadhouse and the countless others are perfectly fine. Typically they offer decent food as reasonable prices. Believe it or not some people don't expect to have some unique life-altering dining experience EVERY meal they eat out.

Pete
09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't see the hate for chains. Chili's, OG, Outback, Texas Roadhouse and the countless others are perfectly fine. Typically they offer decent food as reasonable prices. Believe it or not some people don't expect to have some unique life-altering dining experience EVERY meal they eat out.

I agree with this.

Chains generally aren't my thing but they have their place.

It's funny that so many people go off on places like the Olive Garden but are completely fine with fast food chains. Often, OG isn't much more expensive that a lot of fast food joints and offers a much nicer dining experience. You can certainly see the appeal to the budget conscious, families or to groups that contain people of all ages.

I feel the same about Red Robin. If you go during happy hour you can get a nice meal (and a beer :) ) with good table service for less than fast food.

Stew
09-18-2014, 02:28 PM
The thing about Olive Garden is there is much better Italian food for the price. It's not my least favorite restaurant, but if I want Italian, I would prefer to go somewhere where they actual prepare the food on-site. I will only go to Olive Garden of I'm in a group and that's where everybody wants to go.

The hedge fund guys attempting to takeover the Darden board of directors say that OG prepares too much stuff on site. Also they give away too many breadsticks and don't salt their pasta water not to mention they own too much real estate. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Starboard gets their way. Perhaps they will start serving Italian from a can.

warreng88
09-18-2014, 03:19 PM
If you don't like OG, and haven't been to Bella Vista on the southside, you are really missing out.

kevinpate
09-18-2014, 03:23 PM
If you don't like OG, and haven't been to Bella Vista on the southside, you are really missing out.

Love me some Bella Vista !!
Gaberino's and Sergio's in Norman as well.

kevinpate
09-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Fwiw, I don't blah on OG because it is a chain. If a mom n pop serves me up bleh grub I don't praise them either.

The greater metro has options that do things well and fit family budgets too. And some chains do fine at what they do. No question. But ask me if I want OG or Zio's or Bella Vista or another good idie, and I will go with good idie most every time. The tourists can keep the chains afloat.

Roger S
09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Believe it or not some people don't expect to have some unique life-altering dining experience EVERY meal they eat out.

Life's to short to eat mediocre food.....Trust me. Every bite of mediocre BBQ I take, doing research for my blog, shortens my life. I can feel my self die a little every time it hits my palette. ;)

bchris02
09-18-2014, 03:37 PM
I have nothing against chains in general. My criticism is more towards Olive Garden in particular. When you go to Chili's or Texas Roadhouse, you know exactly what you are getting. Those brands don't try to sell themselves as upscale nor do people think them that. Olive Garden is cheap, average food that tries to sell itself as "higher class" with wine samples, old-world decor, and higher prices. There are numerous other choices that are better than Olive Garden for the same or less money.

Jeepnokc
09-19-2014, 06:02 AM
The hedge fund guys attempting to takeover the Darden board of directors say that OG prepares too much stuff on site. Also they give away too many breadsticks and don't salt their pasta water not to mention they own too much real estate. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Starboard gets their way. Perhaps they will start serving Italian from a can.

Saw an article I believe in the Wall Street about what they say is the real motivation behind Starboard wanting control, Real Estate. Apparently, OG owns most of their buildings and property. (If I remember correctly, more than all the other chains. This provides financial security during the lean years as they are not having to pay outrageously high rent. They will split the company into two with one owning the real estate and the other owning the restaurant. They can then sell off the Real Estate realizing huge profits leaving the restaurant side having to rent their space.

ctchandler
09-19-2014, 09:12 AM
OKBBEA,
Oh, but what a way to go!
C. T.
Life's to short to eat mediocre food.....Trust me. Every bite of mediocre BBQ I take, doing research for my blog, shortens my life. I can feel my self die a little every time it hits my palette. ;)

kevinpate
09-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Saw an article I believe in the Wall Street about what they say is the real motivation behind Starboard wanting control, Real Estate. Apparently, OG owns most of their buildings and property. (If I remember correctly, more than all the other chains. This provides financial security during the lean years as they are not having to pay outrageously high rent. They will split the company into two with one owning the real estate and the other owning the restaurant. They can then sell off the Real Estate realizing huge profits leaving the restaurant side having to rent their space.

Gekkoing the Garden

Edgar
09-19-2014, 02:26 PM
I scratched OG after the ceo whined about the ACA, same with Red Lobster and the supposed tapas place by the Garage in Norman. Any others I should know about. Please inform so I can continue my important crusade. Think they're about to break.

soonermike81
09-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I too don't understand why so many people are harsh on the chains. Most chains are chains for a reason, right? They more than likely started out as a single restaurant, and got such a good following, that they expanded. Are you guys going to start ripping S&B if they start expanding outside OKC and beyond?? Also, I've been to OG maybe twice in the past 2 years and I did not feel like they were trying to portray an upscale image. I thought they served decent food at reasonable prices. Prices didn't seem out of line with what we were getting.

TheTravellers
09-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I personally don't do national chains much because you can usually get better food at a non-chain (or smaller local chain) place. It baffled me that OG was patronized so much in the Chicago area with soooooooooooooo many much better local Italian places around every few miles or so, no matter where you are. Similar to Kevin, I go where the good food is, and sometimes it's national chains (not often, though, and there are plenty of local non-chains that have crappy food too), sometimes it's a small local place, sometimes it's a local chain...

tfvc.org
09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I personally don't do national chains much because you can usually get better food at a non-chain (or smaller local chain) place. It baffled me that OG was patronized so much in the Chicago area with soooooooooooooo many much better local Italian places around every few miles or so, no matter where you are. Similar to Kevin, I go where the good food is, and sometimes it's national chains (not often, though, and there are plenty of local non-chains that have crappy food too), sometimes it's a small local place, sometimes it's a local chain...

Problem is that once a restaurant gets so big the original owners do not have as much hands on control as they once did, corners start to get cut and quality starts to lack. When they get really big and national then to keep consistency sauces start to come in packages, food starts to come from factories and bakeries, and the control the owners once enjoyed are handed off to managers of different levels. Although it is comforting that I can eat at an OG in CA and then in FL and the quality of the food is the same (which a lot of consumers enjoy) sometimes it is good to go outside of your comfort level and try something different.

Plutonic Panda
09-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Well, for me, Chili's is the worst. They have fallen off it seems.

PennyQuilts
09-21-2014, 07:40 AM

I avoid commercial bbq like the plague. If it hits it, great. But so many are just meh. Husband's bbq spoiled me for restaurant bbq crapshoot.