View Full Version : See You at The Pole

Keith
08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Every year, a date is designated for Christian teenagers all over the U.S., to meet at their school flagpoles and pray for their friends, their school, their teachers, their nation, their churches, and any other prayer requests that are mentioned.

This event is called "See You at The Pole," and it is a wonderful ministry designed for the youth to, not only show their faith by their actions, but to also be a witness to their friends who need Christ. This event takes place on September 21, 2005, at 7 AM. in the morning. It is done early in the morning so that it does not interfere with school. It is student lead, so that there are no "legal" issues, and nobody is forced to participate. The scripture they will use this year will be Jeremiah 33:3.

I am a youth leader at my church, and our church is really focusing on SYATP for our youth. It has been a blessing in the past, to drive by a school early in the morning and see a group of teenagers, in a circle, around the flagpole, holding hands....and praying.

With all the problems that we have in our schools today, it is very refreshing to see teenagers take a stand for their faith and pray. As adults, we need to pray for teenagers every day. They will be our future leaders.

For more information on "See you at The Pole," go to their website at www.syatp.com (http://www.syatp.com).

Winterhawk
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Every year, a date is designated for Christian teenagers all over the U.S., to meet at their school flagpoles and pray for their friends, their school, their teachers, their nation, their churches, and any other prayer requests that are mentioned.

This event is called "See You at The Pole," and it is a wonderful ministry designed for the youth to, not only show their faith by their actions, but to also be a witness to their friends who need Christ. This event takes place on September 21, 2005, at 7 AM. in the morning. It is done early in the morning so that it does not interfere with school. It is student lead, so that there are no "legal" issues, and nobody is forced to participate. The scripture they will use this year will be Jeremiah 33:3.

I am a youth leader at my church, and our church is really focusing on SYATP for our youth. It has been a blessing in the past, to drive by a school early in the morning and see a group of teenagers, in a circle, around the flagpole, holding hands....and praying.

With all the problems that we have in our schools today, it is very refreshing to see teenagers take a stand for their faith and pray. As adults, we need to pray for teenagers every day. They will be our future leaders.

While I see no constitutional problems here, I do have a problem with the use of civic grounds for a religious ceremony.

Furthermore I have a problem in general with witnessing. I have my own religious views and never asked anyone to tell me theirs. I certainly do not want my children going to school (of which I have two) and having their friends come up to them and tell them the wonder's of their religion no matter what religion it is. My children get to make their own minds up about their spiritual beliefs, their friends shouldn't pressure my kids into being able to make the decision for them.

PUGalicious
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I have no problem with the use of civic grounds for religious ceremony. The civic grounds are the property of the people, for the people. People should be allowed to gather — peacefully and respectfully — on civic grounds as a symbolic gesture, whether in support or in opposition. Religious groups should not be excluded. The constitution provides for the freedom of religion, not the freedom from religion. Governments cannot establish an official religion, but that does not mean religious people or religious activity should be prohibited from the public arena.

As far as witnessing, you are witnessing on this forum. Witnessing is the sharing of beliefs, in any context, whether religious, political or general. I don't care for some of the "witnessing" or views shared by some in this forum, but I don't try to shut them up. If I don't like it, I can ignore it. As far as my kids, they are constantly under some form of peer pressure — little of which has to due with religious witnessing, but more of cultural witnessing. They hear racist things, sexist things, prejudiced things, ignorant things, immoral things, etc. etc. I cannot stop it all. However, we talk about it and we explain why we believe what we believe and let them make their own choice. I pray for them, but I do not shut them off from others.

Freedom of speech is not limited to non-religious witnessing. You may be annoyed by it, just like I am annoyed by Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts or other groups trying to sell something everytime I walk into a department store. I politely say, no thank you, and move on. You are free to do the same with "witnessing."

Winterhawk
09-27-2005, 01:34 PM
As far as witnessing, you are witnessing on this forum. Witnessing is the sharing of beliefs, in any context.

Wrong, it is completely about context. In this specific context witnessing is defined by christianity as one group or individual taking its spiritual beliefs to others.

Then allow me to refine my statement for the semantic debater:

I do not like witnessing as defined by christianity as a tool for conversion and coersion.

Freedom of speech is not limited to non-religious witnessing. You may be annoyed by it, just like I am annoyed by Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts or other groups trying to sell something everytime I walk into a department store. I politely say, no thank you, and move on. You are free to do the same with "witnessing."

Sure, but I am an adult armed with experience and intellect enough to defer repeated advances from outside influences. I am able to filter out what I deem SPAM. My children are still developing their own minds and I do not want a program taking place on school grounds that will influence their spiritual views to one side or the other. As I stated, that is my children's decision to make, and they should not be recieving active religious inputs on school grounds.

I am not a fool and am completely aware that there are passive inputs all around them. There is a big difference between driving by a church sign that says something creative like "god is the navigator down the road of life" and having best friend billy come up and tell my son why it is sooooo important that he accept christ as his personal saviour. Were you ready for that kind of peer pressure at 11?

I also find it a little insulting that you would relegate the importance of spiritual definition in life to that of a box of girl scout cookies.

As far as your statement that I am witnessing on this forum. I wouldn;t throw that word around to freely. There is a difference between expresing opinion and witnessing. I am not trying to get anyone on my side. Witnessing attempts to get people to change their persepctive, especially in a spiritual sense.

Sharing an opinion is not witnessing

wit·ness Audio pronunciation of "witnessing" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wtns)
n.

a. One who can give a firsthand account of something seen, heard, or experienced: a witness to the accident.
b. One who furnishes evidence.
2. Something that serves as evidence; a sign.
3. Law.
a. One who is called on to testify before a court.
b. One who is called on to be present at a transaction in order to attest to what takes place.
c. One who signs one's name to a document for the purpose of attesting to its authenticity.
4. An attestation to a fact, statement, or event; testimony.
a. One who publicly affirms religious faith.
b. Witness A member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Sorry mate, but I don't see anything in there about opinion.

PUGalicious
09-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Fair enough point. I stand corrected.