View Full Version : Beware of venomous stinging caterpillars

gogogo
09-11-2014, 07:41 AM
I saw a news story on KFOR on Sept. 1st about puss caterpillars (also known as wooly slug, asp or flannel moth caterpillars) and how they can sting if they are touched. The sting is apparently extremely painful and sometimes dangerous, causing vomiting and convulsions. They have the strongest venom of any caterpillar in the U.S.

I just found one on my porch last night, so warn children and others not to pick them up.

It's advised by experts to NOT exterminate them, but to let them die out on their own. Otherwise you can make the infestation worse.

Here's a link:
These small and fuzzy insects could send you to the emergency room | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/09/01/these-small-and-fuzzy-insects-could-send-you-to-the-emergency-room/)

kevinpate
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
It's advised by experts to NOT exterminate them, but to let them die out on their own. Otherwise you can make the infestation worse.

Yeah, zombie caterpillars ... ain't much worse than a passle of zombie caterpillars.

gogogo
09-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Yeah, zombie caterpillars ... ain't much worse than a passle of zombie caterpillars.

Exactly. :wink: