View Full Version : Katrina - oh no

Karried
08-28-2005, 11:10 AM
This hurricane is going to be horrible. I am hoping for the best but from the looks of it, we might see some serious loss of life. If New Orleans takes a direct hit, it will be under water for days - the pumps can't handle that much water. The city and surrounding areas are in real trouble.

I hope everyone takes heed and gets out in time. Some people are too poor to get out - that's is so sad. I worry about the animals too.

It's predicted to hit as a CAT 5 - It's going to be really bad.

Sending prayers and best wishes to those who might be affected.

Karried
08-28-2005, 07:10 PM
It gets worse:

When Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans on Monday, it could turn one of America's most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city's legendary cemeteries.
Experts have warned for years that the levees and pumps that usually keep New Orleans dry have no chance against a direct hit by a Category 5 storm.

That's exactly what Katrina was as it churned toward the city. With top winds of 165 mph and the power to lift sea level by as much as 28 feet above normal, the storm threatened an environmental disaster of biblical proportions, one that could leave more than 1 million people homeless.

"All indications are that this is absolutely worst-case scenario," Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center, said Sunday afternoon.

The center's latest computer simulations indicate that by Tuesday, vast swaths of New Orleans could be under water up to 30 feet deep. In the French Quarter, the water could reach 20 feet, easily submerging the district's iconic cast-iron balconies and bars.

Estimates predict that 60% to 80% of the city's houses will be destroyed by wind. With the flood damage, most of the people who live in and around New Orleans could be homeless.

"We're talking about in essence having — in the continental United States — having a refugee camp of a million people," van Heerden said.

Aside from Hurricane Andrew, which struck Miami in 1992, forecasters have no experience with Category 5 hurricanes hitting densely populated areas.

Keith
08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
It gets worse:

When Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans on Monday, it could turn one of America's most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city's legendary cemeteries.
Experts have warned for years that the levees and pumps that usually keep New Orleans dry have no chance against a direct hit by a Category 5 storm.

That's exactly what Katrina was as it churned toward the city. With top winds of 165 mph and the power to lift sea level by as much as 28 feet above normal, the storm threatened an environmental disaster of biblical proportions, one that could leave more than 1 million people homeless.

"All indications are that this is absolutely worst-case scenario," Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center, said Sunday afternoon.

The center's latest computer simulations indicate that by Tuesday, vast swaths of New Orleans could be under water up to 30 feet deep. In the French Quarter, the water could reach 20 feet, easily submerging the district's iconic cast-iron balconies and bars.

Estimates predict that 60% to 80% of the city's houses will be destroyed by wind. With the flood damage, most of the people who live in and around New Orleans could be homeless.

"We're talking about in essence having — in the continental United States — having a refugee camp of a million people," van Heerden said.

Aside from Hurricane Andrew, which struck Miami in 1992, forecasters have no experience with Category 5 hurricanes hitting densely populated areas.
This will be total devastation to New Orleans. The American people need to pray like they have never prayed before. Even if you aren't "religious," this is the time for all of us to pray for those who will be affected by this storm. This is BIG!!

The Disaster Relief Team, from the Oklahoma Baptist General Convention, are getting supplies loaded up and getting ready to assist in the aftermath of Katrina.

MadMonk
08-28-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm headed down to Mobile, AL tomorrow to evaluate the damage at one of my company's sites. It looks like Mobile will take a good hit, but not as bad as New Orleans. I've seen the effects of hurricanes before with Hugo a few years back and that was not even close to as powerful as this one. Should be an "interesting" week. :rolleyes:

Curt
08-28-2005, 08:56 PM
My heart goes out to anyone living in the path of this thing. I just cant imagine it.

Karried
08-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Good luck to you Madmonk... do you think you will be able to fly in or are you driving? It should be a real mess either way - I'd be calling my insurance agent today and have him meet me there with a blank check -

People are now trying to call 911 because they chose to stay and no one can get to them, that is ridiculous - they should have left when given the eviction orders.

Looks like it is veering away from New Orleans and has downgraded a bit so that is good news - still bad but maybe not as bad.

MadMonk
08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Good luck to you Madmonk... do you think you will be able to fly in or are you driving?
No, we're driving (airports are closed). Will take about 12-14 hours, depending on weather and traffic. Looks like we'll be leaving a little after lunch today. I'll post pics if there is anything interesting to see.

Karried
08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes, definitely pictures would be interesting to see. Stay safe -

MadMonk
08-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, we got part of the way down there and turned around. There was very little damage and everything is back up and running. I'm very relieved and happy to be back home as I was not looking forward to going down there. Those poor people in New Orleans and Gulf Port have it rough and it appears that it will stay that way for a while.

Karried
09-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Glad to know you made it home safe and sound, pretty chaotic out there.