View Full Version : New YMCA Satellite facility downtown OKC

BBatesokc
09-09-2014, 08:16 PM
I just received word that there is yet another smaller satellite YMCA facility that is going to open downtown. Apparently by early next year there will be a facility similar to the Midtown facility in the area being renovated behind the Sheridan.

Pete
09-09-2014, 08:28 PM
OKCTalk - Plans revealed for new downtown YMCA (http://www.okctalk.com/content/39-plans-revealed-new-downtown-ymca.html)

BBatesokc
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Should have known it was already mentioned. I tried searching first, but didn't see anything.

Midtowner
09-10-2014, 08:03 AM
This is another example of where YMCA is backsliding on its mission. They are supposed to be providing services for those in poverty, all the while, all of the new locations are being opened either in affluent areas or to serve as gyms for downtown office dwellers.

Pete
09-10-2014, 09:20 AM
This is another example of where YMCA is backsliding on its mission. They are supposed to be providing services for those in poverty, all the while, all of the new locations are being opened either in affluent areas or to serve as gyms for downtown office dwellers.

I am on the Board of my local YMCA and we do a few of these satellites to reach out into the communities and provide revenues that help support the programs for people in need.

Y's generally don't get a lot in terms of donations; they rely much more heavily on their own revenue streams to fund their many great programs.

Rover
09-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Here is the YMCA website describing their mission and activities. I think you may want to change your criticism once you understand their real mission and how they accomplish it. They aren't all about poverty, they are about healthy bodies, minds, and spirits, regardless of income levels. They have programs for the less fortunate, but their mission isn't merely to put gyms in impoverished areas. And, as Pete points out, it all costs money, so some revenue streams, along with donations, is important.

You should visit ALL the Y's in OKC alone. They aren't necessarily in slums.

kevinpate
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
I am not a Y member, but they do have programs other than their exercise centers. Some are very low key, by necessity. If memory serves, a year or so back, and perhaps still proceeding today, I am uncertain, there has been a fair amount of work on increasing available living spaces for folks needing temporary shelter assistance. If hawking health memberships to folks who do not want to exercise on their own outdoors can help pay for such endeavors, have at it.

turnpup
09-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Steve Lackmeyer and Jack Money have recently released their latest book, Cornerstone, the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City, detailing the history of the YMCA in OKC. It was put out in conjunction with the 125th anniversary of the YMCA. It's a nice hardback book with lots of good information and some amazing pictures: YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City > About Us > 125th Anniversary (http://www.ymcaokc.org/AboutUs/125thAnniversary.aspx)

BBatesokc
09-10-2014, 04:24 PM
I was told members at the downtown larger facility have been complaining about 'too many kids' and the place being 'too crowded' overall.

I was also told that despite how close the facility was to 'downtown' that being even closer would also attract new members who wouldn't have to go to their car after work and could walk to workout instead.

Personally, I've been a Y member for I'm guessing closing in on 20 years total. If it wasn't for a friend, who also teaches the classes we go to, we would have given up our membership years ago.

I personally prefer the satellite spaces over the larger Y's as you don't run into kids and its basically just a place to work out.

I can see the new facility being popular with those who work in the immediate area.