View Full Version : World Class Cities

HOT ROD
09-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Have to ask, is Dallas a world class city? Sure there are world class amenities, but I don't think the big d makes that list.

Tokyo, New York, Shanghai, London - yes.

Dallas? Hm, I'd say just world class amenities. Cosmopolitan is also debatable, but I'd concede that for Dallas instead of a world class label.

bchris02
09-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Have to ask, is Dallas a world class city? Sure there are world class amenities, but I don't think the big d makes that list.

Dallas? Hm, I'd say just world class amenities. Cosmopolitan is also debatable, but I'd concede that for Dallas instead of a world class label.

I would say so. It's not an alpha world city by any means. It can't play with cities like New York, Tokyo, and Dubai, but its still one of the top cities in America and has global recognition. GaWC recognizes it as a Beta+ global city. My point was is saying something will make Dallas jealous sets the bar extremely high. Kansas City on the other hand, while ahead of OKC, isn't so far that it would be inconceivable that a development here could make them jealous. Something like the Power and Light district but mixed use with added residential would be great and doable in OKC.

Nonetheless, as other posters have said way too much has been made of the Dallas/KC jealous reference and Steve regrets having ever mentioned it.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Dallas? Hm, I'd say just world class amenities. Cosmopolitan is also debatable, but I'd concede that for Dallas instead of a world class label.Quite honestly, I consider the only "world class" cities in the US to be L.A. and NYC

PhiAlpha
09-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Quite honestly, I consider the only "world class" cities in the US to be L.A. and NYC

I think you could throw Chicago in there as well.

adaniel
09-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I was in Chicago all of last week. My first visit actually, and it was a bit depressing to come back to Dallas. So no I would not say it is world class.

DFW, along with Houston, Atlanta, and other sunbelt locales are fine cities but are simply too "new" to be considered world class. They will get there with time. Chicago was a gross manufacturing/meatpacking town for most of its history and only got its amenities over successive generations.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I think you could throw Chicago in there as well.Yeah I was kind of thinking Chicago and maaaaaybe San Francisco

NWOKCGuy
09-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Seriously. New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, DC, Boston... probably Miami too, all would be in the conversation for world class cities in the US.

Rover
09-08-2014, 12:23 PM
So, what are the qualities that make a city "world class". This is such an ambiguous term, whether for cities, buildings, projects, technology, or whatever. It is used a lot but has no real definition.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Again, I would still keep it at NYC and L.A.

Chicago and San Fran could be added to the list, but that makes it more complicated.

Rover
09-08-2014, 12:33 PM
People should actually travel and see other cities around the world and THEN decide what is "world class". Most people would be surprised at what they actually find in many cities they imagine to be "world class". Again, it depends on the definition. Old...how old? Big...how big? Dense? Multi-cultural? Etc., etc.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 12:48 PM
People should actually travel and see other cities around the world and THEN decide what is "world class". Most people would be surprised at what they actually find in many cities they imagine to be "world class". Again, it depends on the definition. Old...how old? Big...how big? Dense? Multi-cultural? Etc., etc.Well, I guess it's just personal opinion for me.

I was just thinking of cities that if they collapsed, you would see major effects across the world. Maybe L.A. wouldn't have a huge affect, but if NYC fell, the world economy would come to a near halt, would it not?

If Dallas fell tomorrow, you wouldn't really even notice it.

Bullbear
09-08-2014, 01:05 PM
:ot:
LOL.. who cares who is a world class city of who is or isn't Jelous.. we aren't NYC or even Dallas.. but what we are is growing and being a much better city than we once were.. now about that OG&E tower.

Richard at Remax
09-08-2014, 01:08 PM
I know the first conceptual renderings weren't world class

hoya
09-08-2014, 01:11 PM
DC, Boston, Philadelphia, San Fran could all make an argument for "world class". I'd say you need international recognition, lots and lots of amenities, and probably a lot of history.

OKC would need 40 years or so of boomtown-level growth and economic development before it can start sniffing Dallas. It would need a century of that type of growth before it's in the top 10 US cities. If other cities experienced slow growth and we boomed for a hundred years, then we'd be a world class city.

Teo9969
09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
What do you mean "Fall"? Get nuked? There is no "fall" of cities outside of complete physical decimation (probably via a nuke, which would just change the entire world anyway), and even that may not constitute a fall if things are rebuilt quick enough. If any such cities exist such that a "fall" would result in the world economy coming to a complete halt, about the only 3 that would matter are New York, Tokyo, and London. But certainly not everywhere in the world would be affected, and some might find they thrive in the aftermath.

Several of the largest companies in the country (world even) are headquartered in Dallas. It's one of the Top 10 - 20 cities in the world in terms of GDP. Houston as well.

Rome and Berlin are not even in the Top 50, but they are most certainly far more notorious than Dallas and Houston. World Class is indeed a subjective term.

Laramie
09-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Dallas' market is second to New York.

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608025429314308162&pid=15.1&P=0 https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608015890189452402&pid=15.1&P=0

Dallas World Trade Market Centers:

2050 N Stemmons Fwy (at Market Center Blvd), Dallas, TX 75207, United States
The marketplace is closed to the public but open to qualified retail buyers and interior designers, manufacturers and industry professionals. Market events throughout the year attract more than 200,000 buyers and sellers from all 50 states and more than 80 countries. According to the market center, its wholesale transactions total more than $8 billion and its local economic impact totals $380 million each year.

Dallas Market Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Market_Center)

NWOKCGuy
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
:ot:
LOL.. who cares who is a world class city of who is or isn't Jelous.. we aren't NYC or even Dallas.. but what we are is growing and being a much better city than we once were.. now about that OG&E tower.

Not much to discuss about it at the moment. :)

Bullbear
09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Not much to discuss about it at the moment. :)

clearly.. thus world class conversation has taken over..lol

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 01:26 PM
What do you mean "Fall"? Get nuked? There is no "fall" of cities outside of complete physical decimation (probably via a nuke, which would just change the entire world anyway), and even that may not constitute a fall if things are rebuilt quick enough. If any such cities exist such that a "fall" would result in the world economy coming to a complete halt, about the only 3 that would matter are New York, Tokyo, and London. But certainly not everywhere in the world would be affected, and some might find they thrive in the aftermath.

Several of the largest companies in the country (world even) are headquartered in Dallas. It's one of the Top 10 - 20 cities in the world in terms of GDP. Houston as well.

Rome and Berlin are not even in the Top 50, but they are most certainly far more notorious than Dallas and Houston. World Class is indeed a subjective term.Well, perhaps I should use better terms. I just meant important cities that are vital to the global economy.

By fall, yes, I mean nuked, EMP'd, destroyed etc..

Dallas is indeed a big economic player, but make mistake, if Dallas was wiped out tomorrow, the world would keep going as normal. New York, Tokyo, Beijing, London... not so much.

Anyhow, this is pretty off-topic by now, and it was more my opinion.

There are so many amazing cities in this country, they are all unique.

Washington D.C. is a fairly significant city, but I place it with Las Vegas because they are kind of in a weird position, but both are important in their own way.

Oklahoma City could become a top American city, but it would take a miracle. It is more likely that we will grow to become a nice mid-sized metro of 3-5 million I would suspect. Though anything is possible and who knows what could happen.

NWOKCGuy
09-08-2014, 01:27 PM
clearly.. thus world class conversation has taken over..lol

Indeed. :)

NWOKCGuy
09-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, perhaps I should use better terms. I just meant important cities that are vital to the global economy.

By fall, yes, I mean nuked, EMP'd, destroyed etc..

Do you realize that something like 18 or 19 of the top 30 city GDP in the world are in the US?

adaniel
09-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Meh, who cares about "world class"? I am much more concerned making OKC a liveable place. Oklahoma City is a very new city....in terms of incorporation dates (1890) its probably the "newest" large city out there sans Miami. We pretty much missed out on an entire era (or eras) that have heavily shaped many world class cities. Doesn't upset me but it is what it is.

Its rare for any big city, even those in the Western US, to be founded after the Civil War era; you won't find this outside of maybe Phoenix or Seattle, and both cities are still quite a bit older than OKC.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Do you realize that something like 18 or 19 of the top 30 city GDP in the world are in the US?well aware

soonerguru
09-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Rome and Berlin are not even in the Top 50, but they are most certainly far more notorious than Dallas and Houston. World Class is indeed a subjective term.

Wow. Then I guess Dallas is cooler than Rome or Berlin. Who knew?

warreng88
09-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Houston and DC as well as Atlanta and Philadelphia should be added to the "world class" cities that if wiped off the place of the planet, the country would see a significant impact. Houston as the O&G capital of the US, DC as the capital and most of out politicians, Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world and is home to many of our country's news stations and Philadelphia due to its history and being the fifth most populated city in the US.

Now, back to topic!

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Houston and DC as well as Atlanta and Philadelphia should be added to the "world class" cities that if wiped off the place of the planet, the country would see a significant impact. Houston as the O&G capital of the US, DC as the capital and most of out politicians, Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world and is home to many of our country's news stations and Philadelphia due to its history and being the fifth most populated city in the US.

Now, back to topic!I said global

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Wow. Then I guess Dallas is cooler than Rome or Berlin. Who knew?I disagree with you, but whatevs

gopokes88
09-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, I guess it's just personal opinion for me.

I was just thinking of cities that if they collapsed, you would see major effects across the world. Maybe L.A. wouldn't have a huge affect, but if NYC fell, the world economy would come to a near halt, would it not?

You're kidding right? You've never used AT&T, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Exxon-Mobil, Dr. Pepper, Texas Instruments, OU-Texas game. If Dallas fell off the map you would absolutely notice it.

Unless of course you like any form of entertainment. Otherwise, sure you wouldn't notice LA disappearing.

warreng88
09-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I said global

You said world class:

Quite honestly, I consider the only "world class" cities in the US to be L.A. and NYC

Richard at Remax
09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Having been there a few times in the last two months, I would add Las Vegas as a global city, not world class. Although the mandarin oriental was pretty world class. It seemed like half of the strip was speaking a different language.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
You're kidding right? You've never used AT&T, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Exxon-Mobil, Dr. Pepper, Texas Instruments, OU-Texas game. If Dallas fell off the map you would absolutely notice it.

Unless of course you like any form of entertainment. Otherwise, sure you wouldn't notice LA disappearing.dude... I said global. If Dallas disappeared tomorrow, nothing would change around the world. Everyone of those companies you mentioned would still be operating and the global economy would continue to function as normal.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
You said world class:Jesus Christ almighty....

I am talking about what I consider world class cities to be and how they are a contender to be world class cities. How they affect the world and the global economy

Well, I guess it's just personal opinion for me.

World and global.... what similar words.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Everyone is free to their opinion. I consider the only world class cities in the US to be NYC and L.A.

Stan Silliman
09-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Do you know the story of Leslie Stemmons? He was a real estate developer in Dallas. But in the early twenties, the Trinity River overflowed it's banks and flooded much of the land on either side. Dallas issued bonds to correct the flooding and some years later was about to default on the bonds. The Stemmons family bought the bonds, really cheap on a per acre basis which no one else wanted. They kept up the payments, paid the bondholders and eventually took control of thousands of acres on both sides of the river. They donated a portion to the city so a freeway could be built - The Stemmons Freeway. The Merchandise Mart is on Stemmons land, which they rent to the Mart, as well as more commercial development than you can count.

warreng88
09-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Jesus Christ almighty....

I am talking about what I consider world class cities to be and how they are a contender to be world class cities. How they affect the world and the global economy

World and global.... what similar words.

So, just for clarification, you don't think DC and Houston, the capital of the free world and the oil and gas capital of America being wiped off the face of the earth would have an affect on the global economy? I would put those two up there with NYC, LA and Chicago.

CuatrodeMayo
09-08-2014, 04:38 PM
http://cf.chucklesnetwork.com/items/9/9/1/0/6/original/pointless-this-thread-has-become.jpg

Clown puncher
09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Economy of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Texas)

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
So, just for clarification, you don't think DC and Houston, the capital of the free world and the oil and gas capital of America being wiped off the face of the earth would have an affect on the global economy? I would put those two up there with NYC, LA and Chicago.from what I've read and heard from people I trust that know their stuff, NYC would have much more devastating consequences.

Plutonic Panda
09-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Economy of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Texas)I'm more than aware of that. I have actually been a "cheer leader" for the Texas economy boosting it to people for awhile now.

Teo9969
09-08-2014, 10:14 PM
PluPan…to be real honest, those cities don't exist, not even NYC runs much of the world.

You're essentially talking about where the Stock Markets and Global Banking are most important, because what happens in NYC outside of those 2 things has little to do with much outside of NYC. Your mentioning of Beijing is off base there. Literally the only 3 that would matter are London, NYC, and a distant Tokyo.

In terms of economic impact, you could actually probably argue that the most important cities in the world are the cities where the servers holding banking and stock information sit, and those could be literally anywhere, and are likely are 1. Not in NYC/London/Tokyo and 2. Likely not only in one place.

The overall global impact of NYC falling would likely only be marginally higher than Houston falling.

That being said…the importance of a city in the global economy is really not the determining for a World Class City or even a Global City. Those Cities are defined best by how many people outside of that city (and the country in which it resides) 1. Know the city exists 2. Care to go there 3. Import/Export to said city.

Rover
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM
What Makes A City World-Class? - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/new-york-paris-mumbai-rome-berlin-opinions-21-century-cities-09-world-class-cities.html)

Teo9969
09-09-2014, 10:25 AM
What Makes A City World-Class? - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/02/new-york-paris-mumbai-rome-berlin-opinions-21-century-cities-09-world-class-cities.html)

We're getting there :)

I think we could be there by 2035/2040.

bchris02
09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
It was brought up in another thread that OKC is a cosmopolitan city. What is your definition of cosmopolitan? Does OKC fit the bill and why or why not?

I believe being cosmopolitan goes hand-in-hand with being world class. Cosmopolitan cities have vibrant cultural diversity and are major hubs of global economic activity. In a truly cosmopolitan city, there is a huge diversity of culture represented and there isn't one culture that is overly dominant.

warreng88
09-10-2014, 02:16 PM
It was brought up in another thread that OKC is a cosmopolitan city. What is your definition of cosmopolitan? Does OKC fit the bill and why or why not?

I believe being cosmopolitan goes hand-in-hand with being world class. Cosmopolitan cities have vibrant cultural diversity and are major hubs of global economic activity. In a truly cosmopolitan city, there is a huge diversity of culture represented and there isn't one culture that is overly dominant.

When I hear cosmopolitan referencing a city, I think of high end shopping, amazing museums, sight seeing i.e. sophisticated. Off the top of my head, NYC, Chicago, LA, San Franciso, London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Sydney, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Beijing and more recntly, Dubai.

Okie Yorker
09-12-2014, 01:48 AM

Greetings from Midtown Manhattan! Stumbled upon this post when I was reading about all of the exciting new development in OKC. Dallas a world class city? Absolutely not.

In my numerous business trips to Dallas, I've always found it to be a city that seems to lack a soul and home of some of the most hideous suburban sprawl I've ever witnessed. And don't get me started on the locals there. News check....Dallas isn't Beverly Hills or NYC. (google their interesting term "Dallitude" which many locals use with pride to describe the overabundance of "$30,000 millionaires" there).

While we may not have as many retail options as Dallas in Oklahoma City, as a 14 year dual resident of NYC and downtown OKC, I can tell you I'd much rather spend time in OKC over Dallas any day of the week. This is coming from someone that lives smack dab in the middle of one of the most densely populated urbanized areas in the world (Midtown Manhattan/Hells Kitchen). Downtown / Midtown / Deep Deuce / etc. in OKC is vibrant and lively and I ALWAYS enjoy my trips back to OKC to spend time discovering the new local restaurants/lounges/etc. and hearing about the great changes we are experiencing. I did not get that same feeling of new energy in downtown Dallas on my recent stay there.

Keep up the good work, OKC :)

okclee
09-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Not World Class or anything official but USA Today took a readers poll and Dallas was voted as the best skyline in the world.
Dallas skyline voted best in the world in USA Today poll | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140910-dallas-skyline-voted-best-in-the-world-in-usa-today-poll.ece)

bchris02
09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Not World Class or anything official but USA Today took a readers poll and Dallas was voted as the best skyline in the world.
Dallas skyline voted best in the world in USA Today poll | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140910-dallas-skyline-voted-best-in-the-world-in-usa-today-poll.ece)

I really like Dallas' skyline but I would disagree with that.

Urbanized
09-12-2014, 08:39 AM
LOL...the Dallas skyline's not even the nicest one in the state of Texas.

CuatrodeMayo
09-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Uuuuh...no.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/seattle-skyline-sebastian-schlueter-sibbiblue.jpg

Urbanized
09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
That's the first skyline I thought of. Well, that and Manhattan.

HangryHippo
09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Not to mention Chicago or Manhattan or Los Angeles, etc.

Urbanized
09-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Exactly. Not a fan of LA's specifically, but even it is probably nicer than Dallas'. Chicago? There's no comparison whatsoever.

Richard at Remax
09-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Hong Kong as well.

HangryHippo
09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Hong Kong as well.

While Hong Kong's is amazing, I think we're limited US skylines.

Okie Yorker
09-12-2014, 09:58 AM

LOL. That's really all I can say about that article. Did the Dallas Chamber payoff the USA Today?

Here's some amateur iPhone photos I've taken from various apartments I've lived in. While I like the NYC Skyline, I think Chicago wins in the visually appealing skyline department. There is Much better symmetry to the Chicago cityscape than NYC's concrete jungle.

Current Living Room View

Previous Living Room View

Teo9969
09-12-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm not going to say the Dallas skyline is the best by any means, but it's a pretty nice skyline and I think it's incredibly well balanced with its tallest buildings being the most architecturally pleasing, but also spaced out enough that you can generally see most of the nicest buildings from many vantage points.

Not a huge fan of Miami or LA. Chicago and New York are obviously ahead of Dallas. Houston and Seattle I think are in about the same ball park, but Seattle only because of the space needle…and Philadelphia I think could be in there as well. I think Toronto is probably my favorite NA skyline (Not too familiar with the rest of the world). Also in the same ball park as Dallas is Frankfurt.