View Full Version : Ray Rice-Cut

Jersey Boss
09-08-2014, 12:51 PM
It looks like the Ravens/NFL could not take the heat after the assault video was released.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/after-domestic-violence-video-is-released--ravens-cut-running-back-ray-rice-183053516.html

Achilleslastand
09-08-2014, 01:04 PM
With the video being released this morning and numerous current/ex NFL players chiming in to say how despicable it was, the Ravens really had no choice. It was the right choice and I cant see him ever working in the league again. Good riddance.

Tigerguy
09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
So he decks her, drags her halfway out of the elevator, kicks her around a little and drags his feet as he steps over her as if it's not a person on the floor...real class act, that guy. I guess that goes under the "only worth two games unless everybody sees what happened and we have to take stronger action to avoid the heat" category?

With that in mind, I also wonder why she'd actually go through with marrying him, but that's a discussion for another day...

onthestrip
09-08-2014, 02:27 PM
With the video being released this morning and numerous current/ex NFL players chiming in to say how despicable it was, the Ravens really had no choice. It was the right choice and I cant see him ever working in the league again. Good riddance.

My thought is, will OU have no choice either but to release Mixon once that tape goes public? Both guys responded to a slap with a knock out punch of the woman.

CuatrodeMayo
09-08-2014, 02:28 PM

dankrutka
09-08-2014, 03:54 PM
And don't forget that the Ravens official press conference and Twitter account also publicized an apology from the victim in this case. That they only caved under public pressure is ridiculous.

Jersey Boss
09-08-2014, 04:06 PM
And don't forget that the Ravens official press conference and Twitter account also publicized an apology from the victim in this case. That they only caved under public pressure is ridiculous.

What did the victim apologize for?

Clown puncher
09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
My thought is, will OU have no choice either but to release Mixon once that tape goes public? Both guys responded to a slap with a knock out punch of the woman.

I don't think Mixon will ever play a down in a Sooner uniform.

Jersey Boss
09-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Yes it was the public pressure after release of the video. As far as that twitter post it was removed after the disgust of seeing an outfit come to the aid of an unadjudicated criminal and not the victim.

dankrutka
09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
What did the victim apologize for?

Here's it is:

It's not only ridiculous that a victim of domestic abuse would apologize at all, but that the organization actually posted it on their official Twitter account is absurd.

Urbanized
09-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Well, one of their players got away with murder once. Maybe they were just cocky.

mugofbeer
09-08-2014, 07:00 PM

So, playing devils advocate, do you think the actions of a 27 year old professional who has gone through courses on professionalism, behavior and lifetime experiences should be equated to a kid who was out on his 18th birthday, on his own possibly for the first time in his life, had no one with him to provide guidancen was slapped, pushed and called names?

Achilleslastand
09-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Well, one of their players got away with murder once. Maybe they were just cocky.

He was just honored with a statue outside of their football stadium. I wonder if the statue was wearing a blood stained white suit?

onthestrip
09-08-2014, 10:40 PM
So, playing devils advocate, do you think the actions of a 27 year old professional who has gone through courses on professionalism, behavior and lifetime experiences should be equated to a kid who was out on his 18th birthday, on his own possibly for the first time in his life, had no one with him to provide guidancen was slapped, pushed and called names?
Maybe, but 18 is still an adult. We can say that 9 years in age makes a difference but everything else is quite similar, a very strong male knocked out a woman with a punch to the face. 18 or 27 years old, it's still horrific.
Based on how members of the media described it, I imagine there will be a similar uproar when this video finds the light of day.

ljbab728
09-08-2014, 10:42 PM
nm

ljbab728
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Barry Tramel obviously disagrees with you.

Ray Rice case: NFL makes OU look good in Joe Mixon case | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/ray-rice-case-nfl-makes-ou-look-good-in-joe-mixon-case/article/5340073)

The Ray Rice video, which shows him punching his then-fiance last February, has surfaced, and the Ravens and the NFL took swift action. The Ravens terminated the tailback’s contract, and the NFL suspended Rice indefinitely.

And made the University of Oklahoma look good in the process.

Some have wondered if there will be a second wave of outrage and possible extra punishment for Mixon when the tape is widely viewed.

The answer should be no. While the cases have similar aspects, the responses do not.

OU’s suspension of Mixon was not light. It was one step short of capital punishment — dismissal from the team and university. Some believe that Mixon was treated too harshly by OU, and others believe he was treated too leniently by OU. But no one can sufficiently argue that Mixon’s punishment was light.

As does Jennii Carlson.

http://newsok.com/why-ou-got-it-right-in-its-handling-of-frank-shannon-and-joe-mixon/article/5340093

The punch was as shocking in its suddenness as its ferocity.

In the blink of an eye, a burly athlete slammed his fist into a woman’s face, knocking her off her feet, leaving her crumpled on the floor.

Ray Rice?

Joe Mixon?

Both.

The legal system has yet to rule on the Mixon case, of course, but the release of the Rice video on Monday reinforced the strong stance that OU took with the freshman running back. After the district attorney filed misdemeanor charges against Mixon for acts resulting in gross injury, OU’s top brass went to police and asked to see surveillance video of the incident.

The league could take a lesson from OU.

Boren, Castiglione and Stoops asked to view the Mixon video, and once they saw it, they knew that a suspension had to be swift and severe. They suspended him from all football activities for a year. They took violence against women seriously. They didn’t wait for the courts to say he’s guilty of anything to determine that he wasn’t going to be playing football for their school for a while.

Urbanized
09-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Berry an Jenni can whistle past the graveyard all they want, but when that Mixon video is released it will have tons of national media appeal and they will wear it out, with direct and incessant comparisons to the Rice case. Hopefully OU has a strong PR plan in place to counteract the public outrage that will result, or they will be overwhelmed by it. I agree that the circumstances are different and that the OU response was better than the a Ravens', but it's not going to change the way that video clip looks.

kelroy55
09-09-2014, 08:45 AM
The hosts of Fox & Friends on Monday turned video of NFL player Ray Rice punching his then-girlfriend unconscious in an elevator into a joke, saying that in the future she should “take the stairs.”

After TMZ released a leaked surveillance video that showed what happened when Rice knocked out the woman inside the elevator, the Fox News hosts asked viewers if a two-game suspension had been appropriate.

“We should also point out, after that video — and now you know what happened in there — she still married him,” host Steve Doocy explained. “They are currently married.”

“Rihanna went back to Chris Brown right after [he assaulted her],” co-host Brian Kilmeade noted. “A lot of people thought that was a terrible message.”

“I think the message is take the stairs,” he added, as co-host Anna Kooiman giggled.

“The message is, when you’re in an elevator, there’s a camera,” Doocy concluded.

I'm not sure which is worse, Kilmeade's comment or a female co-host giggling at that comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSkJGJmbKM

onthestrip
09-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Berry an Jenni can whistle past the graveyard all they want, but when that Mixon video is released it will have tons of national media appeal and they will wear it out, with direct and incessant comparisons to the Rice case. Hopefully OU has a strong PR plan in place to counteract the public outrage that will result, or they will be overwhelmed by it. I agree that the circumstances are different and that the OU response was better than the a Ravens', but it's not going to change the way that video clip looks.

This is kind of my thoughts, national media, womens groups, the public at large...they will all make a huge deal of it, whether Berry or Jenni agree or not.

And Fox News...wow. They never disappoint. Is it just me, or do conservatives find these Rice and Mixon incidents less appalling than others?

Richard at Remax
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Both are extremely appalling. Don't think we are all like hosts of fox and friends.

bucfan1512
09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
He was just honored with a statue outside of their football stadium. I wonder if the statue was wearing a blood stained white suit? Good sir that suit was never found! :Smiley122

Jersey Boss
09-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Agreed. Berry and Jenni have access to the program and they must protect that access. Generally speaking, I have noticed that the local media here do not ask the tough questions and sometimes resort to being nothing but lap dogs. Whether it is the two state universities or professional teams management, the local reporters have a "go along to get along" attitude. These reporters see the way OSU allows the FB coach to shun the media and they don't want Stoops to do the same thing.

ljbab728
09-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Of course it will be noticed and talked about. One big difference, besides OU's response, is that Mixon is very unknown around the country. Ray Rice was very well known. It will be a story but won't make a big splash at all.

ljbab728
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Agreed. Berry and Jenni have access to the program and they must protect that access. Generally speaking, I have noticed that the local media here do not ask the tough questions and sometimes resort to being nothing but lap dogs. Whether it is the two state universities or professional teams management, the local reporters have a "go along to get along" attitude. These reporters see the way OSU allows the FB coach to shun the media and they don't want Stoops to do the same thing.

Sorry, but if you think they wrote a favorable article just to keep on the good side of Stoops, that's just silly.

Clown puncher
09-09-2014, 08:00 PM
The hosts of Fox & Friends on Monday turned video of NFL player Ray Rice punching his then-girlfriend unconscious in an elevator into a joke, saying that in the future she should “take the stairs.”

After TMZ released a leaked surveillance video that showed what happened when Rice knocked out the woman inside the elevator, the Fox News hosts asked viewers if a two-game suspension had been appropriate.

“We should also point out, after that video — and now you know what happened in there — she still married him,” host Steve Doocy explained. “They are currently married.”

“Rihanna went back to Chris Brown right after [he assaulted her],” co-host Brian Kilmeade noted. “A lot of people thought that was a terrible message.”

“I think the message is take the stairs,” he added, as co-host Anna Kooiman giggled.

“The message is, when you’re in an elevator, there’s a camera,” Doocy concluded.

I'm not sure which is worse, Kilmeade's comment or a female co-host giggling at that comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSkJGJmbKM

Off topic ,but Fox News has some of the prettiest news anchors in the biz....

PennyQuilts
09-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I know I am going to stir the pot here...

Let's start off by saying what he did was gawdawful, and not "just" the punch. His demeanor, the casual way he dragged her around, I understand he spit on her, and waiting like a coward until they were in the elevator. I could get past the punch a little easier if I had the slightest notion that it was reflexive and that he realized he'd done something horrible as soon as it happened. Instead, he looked pretty darn cold blooded about it.

But here's the pot stirring - leading up to the punch, she - SHE- laid hands on him, repeatedly. No one seems to be talking about that because the punch overshadowed it. No, it certainly in no way shape or form justifies the punch but reverse the roles and we'd all be furious that he was doing that to her - as we should. We should be doing the same thing if she was. Those two are a dysfunctional mess and to be honest, I think this is, in large part, a bunch of PC, johnny come lately faux outrage and people are secretly glad he lost his job because the loss of the money punishes her, too. Yes, I said it.

If I ran the league, I'd have suspended his ass for half the season and insisted they either stay apart or go into intensive personal therapy to deal with domestic violence and the dysfunction that is clearly part of their relationship and it is sick.

I am not one of those women who thinks it's okay to physically pester someone and leave it up to them to control themselves. We women need to keep our damned hands to ourselves just like men do. Doesn't excuse the punch and I'm not saying it does but that's been covered in this thread and elsewhere. I am only addressing this point and not necessarily challenging much of the rest.

My grandmother was a complete b*tch married to the sweetest man ever born but she could provoke a lamb to violence. She often told the tale of how my grandfather was going somewhere and she didn't want him to. After nagging and screaming and the like, she hauled off and slapped his face. To her shock, he slapped her right back. She said she was so stunned she just stood there and my grandfather was utterly mortified. Her reaction? She said she started laughing (at herself) and to the day she died would say, "If a woman puts herself in a man's place, she better expect to be treated like a man." Earlier generation so take that into account on the phrasing.

The violence was never repeated in the marriage, he didn't escalate it, he was ashamed it happened, and she learned from it. But I always appreciated that although she taught all of us that boys don't hit girls, she also taught us girls that we couldn't go around punching with impunity.

Urbanized
09-10-2014, 08:03 AM
I think we all would have understood and forgiven if he had grabbed her arms mid-strike, or even shoved her away. He doubled his meat hook and threw from the shoulder.

onthestrip
09-10-2014, 08:45 AM
I get so tired of the comments such as "make no mistake, what he did to her was the worst. A man should never hit a women. Bbbuuuuuutt, she did hit him."

There is still no excuse, for men (Rice, Mixon) that strong to ever punch a woman in the face, short of them getting attacked with a weapon. These guys need to learn to be the literal and metaphorical bigger man and use other means than throwing a punch.

This "bbbuuuuuutt she did slap him" talk does nothing to help domestic and men against women violence. And being in a state that has some of the worst men on women violence rates, this line of thinking needs to end.

Bullbear
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
The whole situation is disgusting. they are clearly toxic with each other and need serious help or to be apart. bottom line he violated a clause of his contract and is now paying the price. I don't have a dog in this fight but I am fine with that punishment being never play in the NFL again. I would bet that isn't the first time they got into a fight or the first time he punched her like a dude. they just got caught this time and are both paying the price for not acting like civilized human beings.

onthestrip
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
And right on cue... just saw this.

Oklahoma again ranks third in rate of women killed by men, study finds | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-again-ranks-third-in-rate-of-women-killed-by-men-study-finds/article/5340433)

Jersey Boss
09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but if you think they wrote a favorable article just to keep on the good side of Stoops, that's just silly.

To be more accurate I believe that Trammel, Carlson, and the other writers will not write a critical piece if it is warranted, so as not to be shunned. That does not equate to writing a favorable piece to curry favor.