View Full Version : Bishop McGuinness files Lawsuit against OSSAA

Tydude
09-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Bishop McGuinness files lawsuit against OSSAA | News OK (http://newsok.com/article/5339998)

jerrywall
09-09-2014, 08:58 AM
OSSAA is reaching a turning point soon, I think. Many of the public schools in OK have had problems with them in recent years, and now the private schools are having problems as well. I expect some changes, or creation of new high school athletic organizations soon.

bucfan1512
09-09-2014, 10:21 AM
I graduated from Mount St Mary High School which is the other catholic high school in Oklahoma City in 2006 when there were rumors of a rule like this. I read through some of the comments and its basically a war zone but some points are just silly. Saying all private schools should play each other is not a solution as most are much smaller than Bishop. My school has maxed out there enrollment at 350 because they don't have any more room for lockers. I think the problem is that there are several stereotypes about private schools that people need to realize are not true.

1.) They recruit. Bishop and MSM do not give out scholarships. Both offer work programs that instead of paying the student their tuition is directly reduced. That means during the summer when most kids are having fun, some of the kids the public schools claim are on scholarship are working at the school.

2.) The rich entitled brats. My parents mortgaged our home some my sister and I could attend private school from K-12 and it had a giant impact on how I developed as a person. Certain districts in OKC just don't come close to the standards some parents want for their children. Especially in south OKC where I am from.

These are the two big ones that I noticed in the comments and can tell you beyond all doubt that they are not true. I hope that this issue can be resolved and that the rules that apply to all schools that have to abide by Oklahoma education standards are equally treated and not vilified for having a few good years in football or basketball.

Tydude
09-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Judge may rule that a temporary banned on the rule means that McGuinness will be in Class 5A in all sports including Volleyball which is right now competing in 6A

PennyQuilts
09-10-2014, 07:22 AM
I graduated from Mount St Mary High School which is the other catholic high school in Oklahoma City in 2006 when there were rumors of a rule like this. I read through some of the comments and its basically a war zone but some points are just silly. Saying all private schools should play each other is not a solution as most are much smaller than Bishop. My school has maxed out there enrollment at 350 because they don't have any more room for lockers. I think the problem is that there are several stereotypes about private schools that people need to realize are not true.

1.) They recruit. Bishop and MSM do not give out scholarships. Both offer work programs that instead of paying the student their tuition is directly reduced. That means during the summer when most kids are having fun, some of the kids the public schools claim are on scholarship are working at the school.

2.) The rich entitled brats. My parents mortgaged our home some my sister and I could attend private school from K-12 and it had a giant impact on how I developed as a person. Certain districts in OKC just don't come close to the standards some parents want for their children. Especially in south OKC where I am from.

These are the two big ones that I noticed in the comments and can tell you beyond all doubt that they are not true. I hope that this issue can be resolved and that the rules that apply to all schools that have to abide by Oklahoma education standards are equally treated and not vilified for having a few good years in football or basketball.

Just want to support your point that McGuinness is not just another Cassidy or HH. The mission and funding is completely different. This is not to slam the secular private schools, at all - but for the reasons you mentioned, they really are different.

bucfan1512
09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
I left them out on purpose since their schools are founded on different principles. I always call them academy's but am not sure if that is the right term. Casady and Heritage Hall I believe are able to offer scholarships I believe as I played against many 7 footers from Africa against Casady.

turnpup
09-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Casady is an Episcopal school. All students attend Chapel each day.

https://casady.org

Day-to-day information about their athletic programs (scores, scheduling, etc.) can be found on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/casadyschoolathletics