View Full Version : What Bricktown needs

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Bricktown is in desparate need of an area of concentrated retail....in other words, a retail village. I'm proposing to Hogan that he use the land west of the theater to build a retail village, where he'll lease space out to various upscale shops. This village would be similar to Spring Creek Plaza in Edmond, only the structures should be 3-4 story with offices and lofts on the upper floors. A central plaza should be built in the middle of the village with an extension of the canal meandering through it, and ending in a turnabout where Water taxis can load and unload.

mranderson
08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes. Here are some ideas. More are welcome.

Bricktown Mercantile Exchange. A souviner shop with items featuring the logos of Bricktown, Oklahoma City, the sports teams (both professional and College), Oklahoma, and the merchants.

Viking. Products manufactured by Viking (ranges, etc)

As Seen On TV. Infomercial products

HSN. I think this is the cable shopping network with a store in the Mall of America.

These are just three that I thought of. There are more. Blend the two with local businesses (Mercintile would be local) and you can spnd a lot of time shopping.

floater
08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
This village would be similar to Spring Creek Plaza in Edmond, only the structures should be 3-4 story with offices and lofts on the upper floors.

A central plaza should be built in the middle of the village with an extension of the canal meandering through it, and ending in a turnabout where Water taxis can load and unload.

Yes, not enclosed, but streetfront retail. If done according to BUDC standards, the area would look more authentic than typical lifestyle centers, which can look Disneylandish. I particularly like the canal idea.

floater
08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I am digging up old bones here, but as the state's pre-eminent tourist district, Bricktown needs an Oklahoma store. It'd have all the stuff we talked about earlier, from OU/OSU merchandise to museum gift shop items, Oklahoma-made products from Bama pies to Watonga cheese, to Oklahoma books. Prints of old city photographs and works by Oklahoma artists. It'd have diversions, from ice hockey slapshots to horseshoe pits and lasso throwing. There'd be a small stage for live music, Oklahoma poetry readings, book signings, and lectures. People could go there for reduced same-day tickets, from concerts to Civic and Stage Center shows to museums. Maybe a small cafe with coffee and alcoholic drinks plus some desserts could fill out the rest of the place.

It'd be nice to have it in one of the empty warehouses on Reno or Sheridan, or perhaps the pad site next to Toby Keith's.

mranderson
08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
I am digging up old bones here, but as the state's pre-eminent tourist district, Bricktown needs an Oklahoma store. It'd have all the stuff we talked about earlier, from OU/OSU merchandise to museum gift shop items, Oklahoma-made products from Bama pies to Watonga cheese, to Oklahoma books. Prints of old city photographs and works by Oklahoma artists. It'd have diversions, from ice hockey slapshots to horseshoe pits and lasso throwing. There'd be a small stage for live music, Oklahoma poetry readings, book signings, and lectures. People could go there for reduced same-day tickets, from concerts to Civic and Stage Center shows to museums. Maybe a small cafe with coffee and alcoholic drinks plus some desserts could fill out the rest of the place.

It'd be nice to have it in one of the empty warehouses on Reno or Sheridan, or perhaps the pad site next to Toby Keith's.

The Bricktown exchange could be most of that. We have too many booze joints there as it is. I would not be in favor of more. No beer, no wine, no mixed drinks. Just good, clean things.

floater
08-26-2005, 02:45 PM
The Bricktown exchange could be most of that. We have too many booze joints there as it is. I would not be in favor of more. No beer, no wine, no mixed drinks. Just good, clean things.

Funny, when we talked about this earlier (MAPS forum days), "Bricktown Exchange" was the name I thought it should have. Maybe that's meant to be!

floater
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Patrick, or other mod, maybe this should be moved to the Bricktown forum?

mranderson
08-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Funny, when we talked about this earlier (MAPS forum days), "Bricktown Exchange" was the name I thought it should have. Maybe that's meant to be!

Actually, I think I remember that. The full name would be Bricktown Mercantile Exchange. If I had the money, I would open it.

Patrick
08-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Simply moving the Watonga Cheese Store from 39th St. to Bricktown would be nice.
I would still like to see a Braums store somewhere in Bricktown, not because it would be unique, but because it represents Oklahoma.

floater
08-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Simply moving the Watonga Cheese Store from 39th St. to Bricktown would be nice.
I would still like to see a Braums store somewhere in Bricktown, not because it would be unique, but because it represents Oklahoma.

Here here. If not in Bricktown, maybe in the Triangle district, to "bless" it with Oklahoma ties. I have a feeling if the Triangle develops the way we hope it does, some national chains may come in to fill space. A Braums with black and white pictures of its farms, farmers, and first stores would be cool. The grocery component would fill in a huge void.

floater
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
I have been visioning a bookstore on that empty pad site next to Toby Keith's. Just PLEASE, don't let it be another restaurant!!

Dungeon Master
08-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey, how about a Dungeon ride. Oh, there is already one there.

Seriously, all the ideas mentioned above would be great. Now comes the reality part. MONEY. It's VERY expensive to operate in Bricktown. If they would lower the rent for some smaller companies or even mid-sized companies, that would make a huge difference. Have you ever asked yourself why there are empty buildings or spaces down there? MONEY.
Then for the other side of the coin, attendance. Yesterday, Bricktown was slower than the Sears store. It was great weather, but no activity. During the winter months. Business is very slow which hurts any kind of earned profit to pay for rent and other bills. If you don't make money in the peak season, you'll suffer during the off season. Kind a like a pool salesman.
This is the main problem of getting a better outcome of retail or any other business for that matter.

Karried
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm moving this post to this discussion under Bricktown - so many forums, so little time, ha,ha.... I'm so confused!

Here are a few ideas that I would like to see in a retail environment in Bricktown:

Gourmet coffee shop/bookstore with reading section and fireplaces for ambience.

An upscale dessert shop with imported chocolates and specialty desserts (homemade fudge, caramel apples, even ice cream) might appeal to others.

A specialty cigar shop selling humidors with a smoking room (leather couches, music etc ) would be attractive to some.

Art gallery with local artist's work displayed.

A name brand outlet store/mall that carries discounted designer clothing and accessories (leather purses, wallets, luggage etc) - a great hit with most tourists.

A toy store where business travelers might buy last minute unique toys for the kids at home.

Oklahoma Winery - offering wine tasting, offering cheese and engraved glasses and souvenirs & local music offerings - cd's etc

Souvenir OK sports shops - similar to the Big Twelve at the airport.

Souvenir shops that might offer items that tourists will actually use while here in Bricktown - umbrellas for the scorching heat on the river ride, visors, sunscreen, water misters and personal fans for summer events.

Supervised Arcade to keep younger teens busy while parents shop (think Vegas).

Can you imagine what it could be??

I'm excited for the future of OKC - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will get some of the above....

Moondog
09-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Some ideas:

1. Theme park rides! Take a page from London and construct a huge ferris wheel in Bricktown. Light it up at night with all kinds of neon. Take a page from Vegas and build a roller coaster going through a restaurant (NASCAR Cafe). That would be a cool thing to do after taking your sweetie out to dinner and a movie!

2. An indoor farmer's market. Inside, you've got bread shops, cheese shops, sandwich shops, etc. Throw in some little touristy type shops (t-shirts, knicknacks, gifts for mom back in Anytown USA) and live musicians. This would also be a nice amenity for those who live downtown and don't want to have to drive to a grocery store. I recently moved from my townhouse in Heritage Hills and one of the reasons I did so was because it always required a lengthy drive to get to the market. I think a market like this could be both a tourist draw and a draw for those who live nearby.

3. A monster sized Hastings or Barnes & Noble with a coffeehouse and patio overlooking the canal. Get the city to subsidize it like they did with Bass Pro. I'm sure far more people would be interested in that as opposed to the Bass Pro!

metro
09-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Too bad you all missed the OKC Culture 2015 Forum this past Monday night. Your ideas would have been welcomed for future development. We did however discuss many of these topics and many more in our focus groups. Many of these ideas have already been discussed for years now. As Dungeon Master said, Bricktown is very expensive and very fickle. It will start do iron out only when we get more housing in the CBD and then anchor them with a grocer.

floater
09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Some ideas:
3. A monster sized Hastings or Barnes & Noble with a coffeehouse and patio overlooking the canal. Get the city to subsidize it like they did with Bass Pro. I'm sure far more people would be interested in that as opposed to the Bass Pro!

That pad site next to Toby Keith's, man. That's what I see going there. Hastings, no. But B & N, Borders, or Books-A-Million, yeah.

Dungeon Master
09-15-2005, 01:40 PM
A Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood would be nice. Attract some celebrities and folks that try to get that T-shirt of the same companies at different parts of the globe. I know, it's another eat or drink place and that's all that bricktown needs but they are attractions people look for because of their unusual and unique style. Even a Harley Davidson gift shop would be nice. People go out of their way to find these places.

floater
09-15-2005, 03:03 PM
A Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood would be nice. Attract some celebrities and folks that try to get that T-shirt of the same companies at different parts of the globe. I know, it's another eat or drink place and that's all that bricktown needs but they are attractions people look for because of their unusual and unique style. Even a Harley Davidson gift shop would be nice. People go out of their way to find these places.

We touched on this before, but I think HRCs and PHs are past their prime. And there are too many of them to have any cache. And the food is unremarkable.

The powers that be will say we shouldn't control what goes into Bricktown. But my tolerance level for another restaurant is pretty low now. Any eatery that comes in should bring something new to the city, if not the district. I am still recovering from the loss of Lotus. To not have a sushi place this year in this district is ridiculous.

Diversions and shopping are what Bricktown needs.

Patrick
09-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm not so sure if a chain book-store like Barnes and Noble or Border would be what Bricktown needs. Too suburban if you ask me. Tolbert seems to have a lot invested in Bricktown. I still think he needs to open up a 2nd Full Circle in Bricktown.

floater
09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not so sure if a chain book-store like Barnes and Noble or Border would be what Bricktown needs. Too suburban if you ask me. Tolbert seems to have a lot invested in Bricktown. I still think he needs to open up a 2nd Full Circle in Bricktown.

I'd love for that to happen. Could it?

I am just as repulsed at chains as you are, Patrick. But for many cities, it's the best chance they have of having a bookstore downtown. Sundance Square in Ft. Worth has a B & N. Federal-style Georgetown in DC has one (okay, this neighborhood is loaded with chains) too. Both stores fit their neighborhood.

This is an interesting debate about what Bricktown should be. A themed entertainment district, or an entertaining downtown district? Right now, it looks like OKC is positioning it for the former. If that is the case, then a chain bookstore wouldn't make sense. But if it was the latter, then it would fit in. Of course, if I had any say, I would require building up to the Bricktown urban design codes.

mranderson
09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I wonder if someone could make a list of possible books stores and email them with suggesting a bricktown location.

I would rather see Barnes and Noble on I-240, so they would be out anyway.:bright_id

karlanee
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I agree - a Full Circle type bookstore or another privately owned, boutique/coffee shop style bookstore would be best. Something a little eclectic.

Dungeon Master
09-15-2005, 05:59 PM
I guess with myself not being much of a book reader (and excuse me for asking) but is a book store what tourist and the family in search of for entertainment really in that big of a demand?
I look at it like this: "Hey, lets go to OKC, they have a really great book store there.". The other friend: Do we need to drive all the way there to look at books when we have libraries here in another state (or can order on-line) to get our books?"
Like I said, I may be way off key on this and is so, I appologize. But if that's the demand, then I'm for it. But for a tourist attraction?

Luke
09-15-2005, 06:23 PM
I think a bookstore would be great down there.

I can tell you guys that Starbucks is coming to bricktown. No, it's not a bookstore, but it'll definitely be a great hang out for the locals as well as a recognizable place for the out-of-towners.

floater
09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
I think a bookstore would be great down there.

I can tell you guys that Starbucks is coming to bricktown. No, it's not a bookstore, but it'll definitely be a great hang out for the locals as well as a recognizable place for the out-of-towners.

Luke, do you know where? On the first floor of Hogan's condo building?

Luke
09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
The gentleman who told me was not from the area but he told me that they decided on a "grassy field near the sonic building". So, I can gather it will be Lower Bricktown. But from there, I can only guess it's the place being leveled next to Toby Keith's.

Other Starbucks in the works: one near Tinker, one off I-35 in Moore, one at Memorial & Macarthur and of course Bricktown. One recent opening was at Independence and NW Expressway (next to the Marriott).

This last tidbit is completely hearsay and I can't guarantee the validity of it: a lady from Dallas told me that Oklahoma City was the fast growing Starbucks market in the nation. I wouldn't be surprised.

I think this is good news.

Luke
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I should say that Hogan's condos are currently a grassy field, so that may be what the gentleman was referring to as well.

Karried
09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Dungeon, maybe the tourism draw initially won't be because of a bookstore, but, I think tourists might return and recommend based on pleasant experiences in Bricktown.

A bookstore, if done correctly, can offer ambience and relaxation after a long day 'touring'. And if they have a nice children's section it can be fun for the family on vacation as well. Of course, there has to be reasons to go in to begin with and that would be the job of the owners to make sure that the store was inviting and welcoming to tourists and locals alike.

There are many times I go to a bookstore, find a comfy chair, buy some coffee or whatever and browse or listen to music or people watch or meet people and socialize. So, if the bookstore is more than 'just a bookstore', it can compliment Bricktown nicely.

Dungeon Master
09-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Dungeon, maybe the tourism draw initially won't be because of a bookstore, but, I think tourists might return and recommend based on pleasant experiences in Bricktown.

A bookstore, if done correctly, can offer ambience and relaxation after a long day 'touring'. And if they have a nice children's section it can be fun for the family on vacation as well. Of course, there has to be reasons to go in to begin with and that would be the job of the owners to make sure that the store was inviting and welcoming to tourists and locals alike.

There are many times I go to a bookstore, find a comfy chair, buy some coffee or whatever and browse or listen to music or people watch or meet people and socialize. So, if the bookstore is more than 'just a bookstore', it can compliment Bricktown nicely.

Well Karried you have a point.
Like I said, I'm not a book reader but hey, if a book store brings them in, them I'm there for the other part of the ride (pun intended).
It all comes together as "OKC was a fun place"
At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

floater
09-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Sorry, Dungeon, I didn't see your response. Well, I don't see a bookstore as a tourist attraction but as a way for people to spend more time in Bricktown. Unless it's a concept like a Niketown or Bass Pro, a bookstore won't bring in tourists.

The point of the bookstore is to keep people in Bricktown occupied. It's not something "to do" but it's a business that can satisfy a wide range of people for an extended period of time. A passive diversion like a bookstore works well with really fun ones like the Dungeon ride to give visitors a well-rounded experience.

Having a bookstore also helps Bricktown function like a neighborhood, which it will be in a few years. It gives residents a chance to "get out" without driving to some place, to enjoy a cup o' joe, relax, people watch, work on their laptop, or spend time with other people without the rush of a restaurant. My sense is that downtown residents don't spend a lot of time at home - they'd rather be out there where they can interact with (or enjoy the presence of) other people.

But I'm biased, I'm getting too old for the club, party, and arcade set...Karried's example is my idea of good time.

Dungeon Master
09-15-2005, 09:38 PM
The point of the bookstore is to keep people in Bricktown occupied. It's not something "to do" but it's a business that can satisfy a wide range of people for an extended period of time. A passive diversion like a bookstore works well with really fun ones like the Dungeon ride to give visitors a well-rounded experience.

Having a bookstore also helps Bricktown function like a neighborhood, which it will be in a few years. It gives residents a chance to "get out" without driving to some place, to enjoy a cup o' joe, relax, people watch, work on their laptop, or spend time with other people without the rush of a restaurant. My sense is that downtown residents don't spend a lot of time at home - they'd rather be out there where they can interact with (or enjoy the presence of) other people.

But I'm biased, I'm getting too old for the club, party, and arcade set...Karried's example is my idea of good time.

Floater, I have to agee on that as well. Keep people in Bricktown and function like a neighborhood. THAT'S A GOOD ONE FOR SURE!
Hey, come on down and if you have kids or are not a book kinda person, there is more to do.
Mom, while you check out the books, can I check out the Dungeon? I can see that.
But seriously, I think the book store thing might not be a bad thing really.
It's got to be better than another bar!!!

Patrick
09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Hogan told me he has no tenants in the works for the property next to Toby Keiths. I'll suggest the idea of a book store to him.

I'd imagine the Starbucks will be on the lower level of the condo building, as he has said the lower two levels will have retail and restaurants.

HOT ROD
09-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Funny you mention Watonga Cheese. We actually went to Watonga looking for it and could not find it. I know it is supposed to be famous and everything but we could not find it.

Another missed opportunity for tourism, OKC!!!

If there was a store in Bricktown, we would surely have gone there!!!!!! We were looking for retail, there was little - tho firefly looks nice.

floater
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Hogan told me he has no tenants in the works for the property next to Toby Keiths. I'll suggest the idea of a book store to him.

I'd imagine the Starbucks will be on the lower level of the condo building, as he has said the lower two levels will have retail and restaurants.

Aw, man, when I saw them leveling that site, I thought they were prepping it for a tenant. Thanks for suggestion, Patrick.

Also, let me add that the longer people stay in Bricktown, the more likely they are to spend money there. When worked at a B & N, that was the justification for the cafe. Yeah, you have some people who come in the couches and read without buying a book, but the longer they're in the bookstore, the more likely they are to buy something. The cafe also allows the store to capture at least some revenue if people come inside and simply browse.

fromdust
09-16-2005, 07:04 PM
i like the idea of a bookstore. i think if they put one next to tobey keiths it would have to be 2 or 3 stories. and they should build it with BRICKS to keep lower "brick" town from becoming overly suburban. and i agree with everyone no more eating places... for a long time.

okrednk
10-09-2005, 05:33 AM
I hope more retail shops and independent shops come in. I would even like to see more of the american indian artifacts and maybe even some entertainment from native americans make a presence in bricktown. I get this idea from what the riverwalk in San Antonio, uses the hispanic culture to sell alot of their tourism. This might draw a new perspective to bricktown, per say. Again, just an idea.

Patrick
10-10-2005, 02:32 PM
okrednk, I've been trying to say that for a long time. San Antonio uses their Hispanic culture as a selling point. We need to do the same with our Native American heritage. Personally, I don't see anything hickish about our Native American Heritage. I think it's more the cowboy image that makes us look hickish. Just look at the Florida State Seminoles. You don't generally think of Florida being hickish.

okrednk
10-26-2005, 12:55 AM
okrednk, I've been trying to say that for a long time. San Antonio uses their Hispanic culture as a selling point. We need to do the same with our Native American heritage. Personally, I don't see anything hickish about our Native American Heritage. I think it's more the cowboy image that makes us look hickish. Just look at the Florida State Seminoles. You don't generally think of Florida being hickish.

How cool would it be to see along the riverwalk on the weekends some sort of a pow wow performance or listen to the native american music playing there. That is a great thing, I believe it would attract visitors, as well as open retail shops selling authentic and maybe some not so authentic gifts to visitors. You got to hit both targets those who enjoy the real stuff and those who just want like a cheap trinket to take home with them. Also, while on the topic of Oklahoma specific, why not somebody open up a small shop specific to tornados, this is always typical to Oklahoma and could sell suveniers, maybe even have some kind of museum with like a model tornado feel as you walk through. I ahve been through one before, I just don't rember where it was.

plmccordj
10-26-2005, 03:48 AM
Just an opinion...

Since the whole canal is an attempt to mimic San Antonios River Walk, there is one thing that San Antonio has that we are missing. A three story River Center Mall. It is nice to be able to go inside and cool off when it is hot outside.

Paul

Patrick
10-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I think that's just it....we want to try to mimic San Antonio as little as possible here, and try to create our own unique attraction. Personally, I'm tired of copying off other cities.

I don't really think a mall would be feasible in Bricktown. We're having a tough enough time just getting smaller retail stores to locate down there. Why? The market isn't proven. Also, in regards to malls, the market is already saturated with the big 3, and one of those big 3 already isn't doing well.

Seems like malls are on the way out. Shopping villages have taken over the market. What would probably work better is a multi-story shopping village.

jbrown84
10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
One of the big three hasn't done well for 15 years.

plmccordj
10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
You may be right. I am not the big shopper type myself. I shop on eBay more than any store :)

okrednk
10-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Just an opinion...

Since the whole canal is an attempt to mimic San Antonios River Walk, there is one thing that San Antonio has that we are missing. A three story River Center Mall. It is nice to be able to go inside and cool off when it is hot outside.

Paul

That would be pretty cool, but do it more so along the river, maybe make it so the mall crosses over the Oklahoma river. That would be neat. Have a dinning in area with the glass floors so you could see down, into the river. Good idea.

But more like what Patrick was saying a multi story shopping center. Maybe have like three to four stories high crossing over the river, with both isles facing the river. Just ideas, might be crazy ones but its definitely something new.

Karried
10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
I've thought the idea of having a bridge aquarium crossing the canal would be awesome -

We definitely need shopping in Bricktown - I think an upscale outlet mall would interest tourists. They can be nicely done and carry designer brands but some of the 'discount' prices far exceed prices at Walmart or even mall prices.

I've been to a lot of tourist spots that have outlets, Vegas, Monterey, SF, Branson.. they offer shopping and cater to women - moms love it (and if momma's not happy, no one's happy)!

metro
10-27-2005, 07:42 AM
But more like what Patrick was saying a multi story shopping center. Maybe have like three to four stories high crossing over the river, with both isles facing the river. Just ideas, might be crazy ones but its definitely something new.

Seems like malls are on the way out. Shopping villages have taken over the market. What would probably work better is a multi-story shopping village.

Call me crazy but this project already under way just NW of the theater, it even includes condo's on the upper floors. It wont go over both sides of the canal though.

okrednk
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Call me crazy but this project already under way just NW of the theater, it even includes condo's on the upper floors. It wont go over both sides of the canal though.

That's awesome. I can't wait to get back to the states (specifically OK) and see what is happening down there. Well countdown to April is on, man I have awhile to go. Keep me updated. Thanks Metro. If at all possible could anyone snap some newer photos of whats happening down there? Much appreciated.

HOT ROD
10-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I've thought the idea of having a bridge aquarium crossing the canal would be awesome -

We definitely need shopping in Bricktown - I think an upscale outlet mall would interest tourists. They can be nicely done and carry designer brands but some of the 'discount' prices far exceed prices at Walmart or even mall prices.

I've been to a lot of tourist spots that have outlets, Vegas, Monterey, SF, Branson.. they offer shopping and cater to women - moms love it (and if momma's not happy, no one's happy)!

Nordstrom Rack would be PERFECT!!!!

TheImmortal
10-27-2005, 05:56 PM
I think that a lower cost but attractive addition could be interactive "shooting fountains" across the canal as the water taxis pass by. You know the ones that shoot into each other. They could shoot over riders as they pass by. While this would not be as visable as say an outlet or 5 story book store, it would be a step in the right direction toward making Bricktown a more unique and vibrant place to be. Also, whatever happened to the Bricktown "Walk of Fame"? I thought it was a great idea. As long as it was small and we made our own little plaque design I think it would stand out pretty well. In Addition, tourists could learn a little something about oklahoma while they are strolling the canal.

okrednk
10-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I do like the Bricktown walk of fame. I like the idea of making it for those stars that have really made it in the world. Kind of like the hollwood version but specifically Okies. Not the typical ole star, but something to do with the actual state, even if it was the shape of OK or something along the lines.

davido
11-12-2005, 06:35 PM
what alot of people want that I have been reading is a place to eat after the games, I would like to see a major las vegas style casino come to bricktown, those would bring in so much tourism and dollars and those giant casino's have several nice resturants in them, some of the people at city hall don't want them to come to bricktown, but bricktown has clubs and bars, I think a real nice casino would be great for bricktown..I think the mayors office thinks the Mafia will be in bricktown and thats why they are blocking them from coming there.anyway thats atleast one thing I would like to see in bricktown and free parking....

Far South
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Bricktown needs Frontier City to move downtown. Locate between Bricktown, down to the edge of the River. Have a roller coaster that goes across or out over the River.

HOT ROD
11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I recommended that as well.

Downtown fun parks are making a come back!

Hopefully the new executives at Six Flags will see the light.

jbrown84
12-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Well Dan Snyder has succeeded in his coup de tat, so don't expect anything new for Frontier City of White Water Bay now. Six Flags is gone and the parks will be even more neglected.

metro
12-02-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm confused as to what that has to do with Bricktown

fromdust
12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm confused as to what that has to do with Bricktown

i think jbrown84 was saying that since dan snyder has taken over 6 flags having him locate our 6 flags to somewhere downtown would be unlikley. this was his reply to far south wanting frontier city to move near bricktown. am i right jbrown?

metro
12-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I understand what you mean but I think the thread has gotten a little off topic.

citizenkane
12-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Bricktown needs a Wild Birds Unlimited. I also think a knitting shop would be great!

Jack
12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Bricktown needs a shopping village, with a new segment of the canal running through the middle of it.

Patrick
12-21-2005, 07:45 AM
I agree with that Jack. I think we all agree that Bricktown needs more shopping. I think it has plenty of restaurants now. Housing and retail need to come next.

shane453
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
It needs a Hard Rock Cafe or a Planet Hollywood--- These are the symbols of major entertainment districts. These places come up with some wild designs, and I'm sure they'd do something great for Bricktown.

Besides that, I think it would be really great to have an urban mall to bring in some retail for locals. I was in Bergen, Norway and they had a very nice mall inside a historic building- It was 10 floors with an open atrium in the center. It was very narrow, and bridges and elevators lined the atrium. It was a very modern place inside, but still preserved the historic feeling outside. I liked it a lot.