View Full Version : Moving Downtown

Plutonic Panda
08-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Well, I've mentioned a few times I'm moving to LA in March, but in the meantime, I've decided I am likely going to move downtown. I've really set my sights on Deep Deuce. The prices are actually very reasonable versus what I was initially thinking. I'm trying to stay below $1,600/month for two bedroom.

What would people here suggest? I already filled out a pre-app for Level. What all is there? I saw that The Mosaic is part of Level and you lease through them, which is cool.

I have one med. sized dog. Her name is Amber and she is a Labrador. She is a wonderful dog and is very obedient, but hyper at times. I don't think she'll cause any problem, I leave in my room when it's too hot outside and she never tears anything up. Also, like I said, I have one other friend. I will have three cars and a motorcycle soon. I might even be getting a second sports car in a few months, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I really appreciate anything in advance. I am very excited to hopefully be a part of the downtown community and even more excited to say I will likely exclusively do all of my shopping downtown. Native Roots will be grocery store and I will shop completely local when I can. I will also take the bus to OCCC and Bike from the closest bus stop from I-240 and Shields. I do plan on going as car free as I can.

I also have a couple Kayaks, not sure if they have any dedicated storage for those or if I just keep them in my apartment.

Once again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 12:01 AM
BTW, I am open to Midtown and other areas as well. I really liked these condos and townhouses but they're too expensive :/

I'm really open to anything though. Lofts are cool as well.

ljbab728
08-31-2014, 12:17 AM
Plupan, congrats on your decision but I have to wonder about your automobile situation. Why are you going to have three or maybe four cars plus a motorcycle when you are going to try to go car free? Do you just like looking at them? :wink:

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Plupan, congrats on your decision but I have to wonder about your automobile situation. Why are you going to have three or maybe four cars plus a motorcycle when you are going to try to go car free? Do you just like looking at them? :wink:Well, my friend who I am helping move has two cars. A 1997 Land Rover Discovery and a 1982 Mazda RX-7.

I am actually driving to Jacksonville on Wednesday to help him move here. The reason for this, is he no longer has a place to stay there and needs help. He is moving with here and then to L.A. to cover half of the rent.

I myself, already have a 2014 Fiat 500l. Now I am a car enthusiast and I recently have discovered I have an opportunity to buy a 1987 Toyota ae86 in near immaculate condition. I also love drifting and it a great car for that. I will have to drive to Portland though. :/ He gave me until October to come up with the money, so I'll hopefully have it. I also might be getting another car, but that'll be in December and if it happens, I'll be a very happen person, but some things that seem to good to be true usually are, so we'll on that. If I get it, I'll be posting pictures.

I will likely cruise the motorcycles... I am going to start a thread on that as well. I'm trying to decide what the best starter bike would be for someone like me who has no experience, but I'll create another thread about that.

ljbab728
08-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Well, my friend who I am helping move has two cars. A 1997 Land Rover Discovery and a 1982 Mazda RX-7.

I am actually driving to Jacksonville on Wednesday to help him move here. The reason for this, is he no longer has a place to stay there and needs help. He is moving with here and then to L.A. to cover half of the rent.

I myself, already have a 2014 Fiat 500l. Now I am a car enthusiast and I recently have discovered I have an opportunity to buy a 1987 Toyota ae86 in near immaculate condition. I also love drifting and it a great car for that. I will have to drive to Portland though. :/ He gave me until October to come up with the money, so I'll hopefully have it. I also might be getting another car, but that'll be in December and if it happens, I'll be a very happen person, but some things that seem to good to be true usually are, so we'll on that. If I get it, I'll be posting pictures.

I will likely cruise the motorcycles... I am going to start a thread on that as well. I'm trying to decide what the best starter bike would be for someone like me who has no experience, but I'll create another thread about that.

Gotcha. You and your friend are independently wealthy car collectors so you're just going to store them and take mass transit. LOL

Can I have loan?

Sorry, not trying to make fun of you. It just sounds like a totally foreign concept to anything I would have ever have done when I was your age even if I wasn't concerned about money.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 02:11 AM
Gotcha. You and your friend are independently wealthy car collectors so you're just going to store them and take mass transit. LOL

Can I have loan?

Sorry, not trying to make fun of you. It just sounds like a totally foreign concept to anything I would have ever have done when I was your age even if I wasn't concerned about money.I wish I was a wealthy car collector :p

This car has been offered to me at $4,100 which he is selling to me for a really good price. Right now, I can't afford to buy it, but I'm saving up for it and the guy(who is one of my second cousins) said he'd keep her until October so hopefully I'll have enough.

The other car probably won't happen though.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-31-2014, 05:49 AM
As a car guy with multiple cars that also has other large toys (like say, bikes and kayaks), I have to say...Moving downtown isn't really an option for me, simply due to logistics. I have too much (large) crap. The only places that can accommodate all my toys are priced out of my range. I'd love to...But I'd have to get rid of most of my stuff. You're not likely to find a place that'll let you tear a car apart every weekend either. They're usually pretty hardcore about that. Not even brake jobs or oil changes.

You can rent a pretty badass house in the burbs for $1,600 a month though. You could probably rent two or three within walking distance of OCCC for that. Just sayin' lol.

AP
08-31-2014, 07:40 AM
I live at Deep Deuce Apartments and love it. They have 1-3 bedrooms. Don't forget Maywood Apartments as well.

Urbanized
08-31-2014, 07:57 AM
If you move to Deep Deuce all of those places have dedicated parking. You will probably get two spaces. You can squeeze a motorcycle into a non-space. For additional cars you can get spaces at a place like the a Power Alley Parking a Garage in Bricktown for +/- $50/mo. For the kayak and other stuff you can probably also get the into a non-space, OR you can rent storage at a place like U-haul in Bricktown or Neighbors Storage on 9th east of the tracks (spacious & pretty cheap).

I would also recommend looking at the Aberdeen. Considerably less than places in downtown proper, it is on the east edge of Heritage Hills (15th & Robinson), in decent shape, making improvements, and easily walkable to Automobile Alley, Uptown/23rd and ESPECIALLY Midtown. The money you save is probably enough to pay for a motorcycle habit. Another advantage is that if you get one of the town houses in the square you park in front of your apt, no expressed limit on vehicles, and you can rent a covered space right around the corner for something like $40/mo if you want extra protection.

Also, there are TONS of beautiful fourplexes and eightplexes for VERY reasonable rent in places like Heritage Hills, Mesta, Jefferson Park, Edgemere, etc. you sacrifice some of the walkability advantages (not as much to walk to easily), but there are advantages in areas like rent, parking, storage, space, etc.

Chadanth
08-31-2014, 08:04 AM
You get two spaces at level for a two bedroom, at DD apartments you have to pay for a dedicated space or garage, otherwise it's open parking in the small lots or on street. If you have kayaks and motorcycles, I'd recommend a garage for them. I don't think anything around here has storage space for that sort of thing. Level has storage units you can rent, and I think hey have different sizes, so that might be an option. 5th ave lofts is cool and might have openings. The garage lofts doesn't take pets, and the seiber is always full. The edge is just about to come open, so maybe you can get in there.

rezman
08-31-2014, 12:42 PM
From what I've seen, living downtown is not conducive to having a lot of stuff. When we moved off of our acreage and on into Edmond, we had a huge sale and got rid of a lot of stuff. Then, after we settled into our new place, we had another sale in May, Now we're getting ready to have another sale. I have to admit, living downtown intrigues me. I would definately have do downsize some more, and just have my truck, motorcycle and bicycle. But there's no way I would pay that kind of money for rent, or even to own downtown when I could be in a nice house for much less. It could be great for you plupan since you'll have a roommate to split the costs.

You're motorcycle thread sounds interesting. I've been riding for years so I'll keep my eye out for it.

bchris02
08-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Living downtown definitely has its tradeoffs. I currently live in the outer burbs but would love to live downtown if I could afford it. I couldn't however with my current car payment. The point of going car free, at least economically, is all the money you save without car, gas, and insurance payments. It does cost more to live downtown but it evens out whenever you consider the amount you are saving by ditching the automobile. I am not sure if it is possible at the current time to be completely car-free in OKC (at least comfortably) but within the next five years it should be an option. However, If I was somebody who was in love with automobiles and had to have several, I probably wouldn't consider living downtown at all but rather a nice house in an inner-ring suburb to try to get the best of both worlds. You can get cheaper and larger accommodations but still be close enough to enjoy everything the urban core has to offer. I'm not sure if such a place exists in OKC but in Charlotte it was fairly easy to find.

Chadanth
08-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Living downtown definitely has its tradeoffs. I currently live in the outer burbs but would love to live downtown if I could afford it. I couldn't however with my current car payment. The point of going car free, at least economically, is all the money you save without car, gas, and insurance payments. It does cost more to live downtown but it evens out whenever you consider the amount you are saving by ditching the automobile. I am not sure if it is possible at the current time to be completely car-free in OKC (at least comfortably) but within the next five years it should be an option. However, If I was somebody who was in love with automobiles and had to have several, I probably wouldn't consider living downtown at all but rather a nice house in an inner-ring suburb to try to get the best of both worlds. You can get cheaper and larger accommodations but still be close enough to enjoy everything the urban core has to offer. I'm not sure if such a place exists in OKC but in Charlotte it was fairly easy to find.

It takes a while to get used to the space limits, and I agree, you'd have a tough time being car-free. There are decent rentals occasionally in mesta park or the paseo, so that's probably a good option for a person who needs space and a garage, but wants to be more urban.

adaniel
08-31-2014, 02:55 PM
All good suggestions here. As someone who lived in Midtown for nearly 4 years, it is very hard to keep a lot of "big boy toys" around. There's always the U-Haul in Bricktown. If I am not mistaken they do have car storage, but it is not cheap. There is also self storage place near Shephard Mall. You can park on the street but you still probably can't work on them. Most of Deep Deuce and Midtown is students and working professionals who probably wouldn't like waking up to revving engines. Could you possibly keep your vehicles and other stuff at your current residence for a small fee?

Another thing to consider: if you are planning on just a 6 month lease, expect to pay 10% more for a unit compared to those on a one yr lease. Your price range is high enough so it shouldn't be a problem but just be forewarned.

I don't think Maywood is filled up so that may be a good option. I would also agree to look at some of the multi unit buildings in surrounding neighborhoods as well.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:07 PM
As a car guy with multiple cars that also has other large toys (like say, bikes and kayaks), I have to say...Moving downtown isn't really an option for me, simply due to logistics. I have too much (large) crap. The only places that can accommodate all my toys are priced out of my range. I'd love to...But I'd have to get rid of most of my stuff. You're not likely to find a place that'll let you tear a car apart every weekend either. They're usually pretty hardcore about that. Not even brake jobs or oil changes.

You can rent a pretty badass house in the burbs for $1,600 a month though. You could probably rent two or three within walking distance of OCCC for that. Just sayin' lol.Yeah.... I'm still considering it, but I would really like to experience the amenities of urban living to...

as someone suggested just a bit ago, I can leave some stuff at my old mans place. he doesn't care

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I live at Deep Deuce Apartments and love it. They have 1-3 bedrooms. Don't forget Maywood Apartments as well.yeah I'm looking at the DD Apartments actually as well. I might be taking a tour of it late next week.

The Maywood seems expensive for reason. Maybe I'm not looking at it right, but it seems to cost more than Level but doesn't have as many of the extra features.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
If you move to Deep Deuce all of those places have dedicated parking. You will probably get two spaces. You can squeeze a motorcycle into a non-space. For additional cars you can get spaces at a place like the a Power Alley Parking a Garage in Bricktown for +/- $50/mo. For the kayak and other stuff you can probably also get the into a non-space, OR you can rent storage at a place like U-haul in Bricktown or Neighbors Storage on 9th east of the tracks (spacious & pretty cheap).

I would also recommend looking at the Aberdeen. Considerably less than places in downtown proper, it is on the east edge of Heritage Hills (15th & Robinson), in decent shape, making improvements, and easily walkable to Automobile Alley, Uptown/23rd and ESPECIALLY Midtown. The money you save is probably enough to pay for a motorcycle habit. Another advantage is that if you get one of the town houses in the square you park in front of your apt, no expressed limit on vehicles, and you can rent a covered space right around the corner for something like $40/mo if you want extra protection.

Also, there are TONS of beautiful fourplexes and eightplexes for VERY reasonable rent in places like Heritage Hills, Mesta, Jefferson Park, Edgemere, etc. you sacrifice some of the walkability advantages (not as much to walk to easily), but there are advantages in areas like rent, parking, storage, space, etc.Thanks for that man. I'm going to drive around next week in the areas you mentioned and see if I can spot anything cool. All of those houses over there are either super bad ass or have great potential. I really want to start buying old houses over there that need work and remodel them. Someday....

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:12 PM
You get two spaces at level for a two bedroom, at DD apartments you have to pay for a dedicated space or garage, otherwise it's open parking in the small lots or on street. If you have kayaks and motorcycles, I'd recommend a garage for them. I don't think anything around here has storage space for that sort of thing. Level has storage units you can rent, and I think hey have different sizes, so that might be an option. 5th ave lofts is cool and might have openings. The garage lofts doesn't take pets, and the seiber is always full. The edge is just about to come open, so maybe you can get in there.You know though, the room layouts in Level are big enough to bring my Kayaks in. I always clean them when I'm done, so I'm sure if they would allow that or not.

Thanks a bunch for the other ideas. I'm going to look at those.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:13 PM
From what I've seen, living downtown is not conducive to having a lot of stuff. When we moved off of our acreage and on into Edmond, we had a huge sale and got rid of a lot of stuff. Then, after we settled into our new place, we had another sale in May, Now we're getting ready to have another sale. I have to admit, living downtown intrigues me. I would definately have do downsize some more, and just have my truck, motorcycle and bicycle. But there's no way I would pay that kind of money for rent, or even to own downtown when I could be in a nice house for much less. It could be great for you plupan since you'll have a roommate to split the costs.

You're motorcycle thread sounds interesting. I've been riding for years so I'll keep my eye out for it.Yeah, having a another person to offset some of the rent will be really nice.

Yeah, I'll be starting the thread here soon, I plan on buying a bike in late October.

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2014, 04:15 PM
All good suggestions here. As someone who lived in Midtown for nearly 4 years, it is very hard to keep a lot of "big boy toys" around. There's always the U-Haul in Bricktown. If I am not mistaken they do have car storage, but it is not cheap. There is also self storage place near Shephard Mall. You can park on the street but you still probably can't work on them. Most of Deep Deuce and Midtown is students and working professionals who probably wouldn't like waking up to revving engines. Could you possibly keep your vehicles and other stuff at your current residence for a small fee?

Another thing to consider: if you are planning on just a 6 month lease, expect to pay 10% more for a unit compared to those on a one yr lease. Your price range is high enough so it shouldn't be a problem but just be forewarned.

I don't think Maywood is filled up so that may be a good option. I would also agree to look at some of the multi unit buildings in surrounding neighborhoods as well.Thank you for all of that. I will check into it.

My father doesn't care if leave my cars here. He's stated I'm free to come back if things don't work out, so it isn't a problem. I'd just like to have them closer, but cost may prohibit that, I'm not sure.

betts
08-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Ruedys Garage will rent you space in their open lot for a very reasonable monthly price, IIRC.

Chadanth
09-01-2014, 06:15 AM
You know though, the room layouts in Level are big enough to bring my Kayaks in. I always clean them when I'm done, so I'm sure if they would allow that or not.

Thanks a bunch for the other ideas. I'm going to look at those.

I have a 2 bedroom at level and would be surprised if a kayak would fit anywhere without taking up the whole room. There is a bike storage room that might work,more like I said, they do have storage units that are accessible from the parking deck. I'd go that route, they're secure and easy to get to.

As for the Maywood, I agree, it seems overpriced for what you get. It's closer to the train tracks, further from the amenities, and I don't think it even has a pool.

benjenn
09-01-2014, 05:37 PM
We moved downtown right before the first of the year and we LOVE everything about living downtown! However, we only have two cars. We live at Block 42 in a 2 bed/2 bath flat and pay a little more than $1,600, but not too much. We looked at Deep Deuce and Level before moving downtown and then at Maywood once they were finished, just to see what they were like. I think you can make anything you want to work if you just try.

It's so cool to be able to walk almost everywhere we want to go on the weekends and to have so many options on things to do. Native Roots is awesome but we couldn't do all of our shopping there.

I started a blog when we first decided to move downtown because we were going from a 2,500 sf home in Edmond to a 1,200 sf condo, so it was a big change. I haven't posted anything all summer because we've just been too busy. Downtown Downsizing (http://www.downtowndownsizing.blogspot.com).

Good luck to you! I don't think you'll regret the move, no matter where you end up. :) Be sure to join Urban Neighbors to meet lots of great people who all live somewhere in the downtown area. They have monthly socials, quarterly dinners and a community garden -- we even had a dragon boat team early this summer. :) Urban Neighbors - OK - Home Page (http://www.urbanneighbors.org).

Anonymous.
09-02-2014, 07:41 AM
I also recommend DD apartments. They advertise on Craigslist for two bedrooms near that price point all the time. However, 4 vehicles will be a nightmare downtown unless you can buy two of the large units @ The Hill and join them together.