View Full Version : ADHD

Patrick
08-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Is ADHD a real illness? If so, is it overdiagnosed? Is it underdiagnosed?

-------------
Personally, I feel that ADHD is a legitimate disease causing hypofunction in the frontal cortex of the brain. This leads to extreme inattention and difficulty concentrating, in addition to hyperactivity. Unfortunately in young children, it's often difficult to distinguish between typical hyperactivity, lack of discipline, and legitimate ADHD.

MadMonk
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
I believe its a real disorder, but suspect that its over-diagnosed.

mranderson
08-26-2005, 11:52 AM
I would say, just like most things, it is under diagnosed.

MadMonk
08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
I would say, just like most things, it is under diagnosed.
How do you mean "like most things"? Please elaborate.

floater
08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Too many posts in this thread.

Patrick
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for keeping the posts short and sweet. I simply can't sustain attention for longer posts! :)

bandnerd
09-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I really used to think ADHD was completely made up by doctors and drug-reps to suck more money out of unsuspecting parents.

However, as I have studied education and have begun teaching in the last few years, I have decided it is a very real condition. Not a "disease" but a condition. It is treatable, either with drugs (not my preference) or with behavior modification (much better). I have seen how students labeled with ADHD in my classroom are a bit rowdier than others, but it's controllable. I usually just take them aside at some point and discuss ways of controlling their behavior in my classroom and what the student can do to let me know when they need my help. I can't say I've ever had a problem because of ADHD.

I have also been dating and have recently gotten engaged to an individual who most definitely has ADHD. It's very obvious. However, I have learned much patience these last 5 years and have been able to apply it to my career!

Patrick
09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
It just isn't that kids are more hyperactive. Some children and adults have the inattentive form of ADHD where they simply can't concentrate or sustain attention, but they aren't necessarily hyper. This caused by a decreased activity in the frontal cortex of the brain, which can only be corrected by triggering activation by medications like stimulants and stimulating antidepressants.

Spookytourchick
09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Late stepping in! Both my kids were diagnosed with ADHD.... I took them off sugar, told the doctor. He didnt like it. Kids eat too much junk these days. Thats one of the main reasons they act like satan's spawn. PLUS parents are trying too hard to be "cool" or be on their level.... WHATEVER Im the Momma... you do as I say.

My kids are far from perfect. But they are happy.

Patrick
09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Again, I think ADHD is a real disorder, but what some kids simply need is a kick in the rear.

KrispysKingdom
11-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Another late-stepper here...

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 6. We didn't put him on medication because the diagnosis process was... ummm... not as "involved" as I think it should be. This year, at age 10, we sent our son to a hospital for extensive medical attention. An eeg was performed and it is now very clear that he has severe ADHD. The damage from it shows in massive patterns at the front of the brain. His ADHD is so severe that it spreads to the right and left temporal lobes, causing personality disorder and short-term memory loss.

Medication can help "slow down" the brain activity, but there is no cure and no real treatment for the side-effects of ADHD.

My family has suffered great criticism because of my son's behavior - most people see him as an underdisciplined child. We have had to avoid a lot of situations because my son can't sit still and talks when he shouldn't (side-effects). There is a lot more to ADHD than many people know or will ever understand.