View Full Version : Suggestions for a good men's cut in OKC area

silvergrove
08-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Looking for a good, reasonably priced men's haircut in the area so I can look a bit more professional. Not a graduate student anymore, so I need to look a bit more scholarly. Not old enough yet either to sport the crazy professor haircut either. Thanks for any suggestions!

kevinpate
08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Where ever you go, do not be glib the first time there.

I went somewhere new a few weeks back. My youngest had been a few times. His preferred person was busy so I took next chair.

Barber asked what I wanted and I popped off it was too long but what i don't want is it to be so short that when i leave folks on the sidewalk poke each other and wonder how someone of my girth is still in the military.

We all laugh , my glasses come off and being quite.blind without them I close eyes and zone off to a happy place.

When done, I put on glasses and discover I was apparently inaudible on the word don't.

My bad. It's slowly growing out. And I have had fun explaining what happened over the course of the summer.

Jeepnokc
08-27-2014, 04:55 PM
My hair grows so quickly and I get such a basic haircut that I go everywhere. However, the lady in the basement of the Bancfirst building does a great job and still uses a straight razor to trim your neck. She cuts a lot of the professionals (bankers, lawyers, judges. etc) downtown and according to her, she also cuts the Rainbolts' hair. Don't remember price but believe it was very reasonable.

RadicalModerate
08-27-2014, 07:32 PM
When I read the thread title I thought you were looking for a mohel or a tailor.
Who would have thought you were referring to a barber?

Tritone
08-27-2014, 08:01 PM
I've often wondered how to spell mohel. So now I know.

mugofbeer
08-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I've gone to Floyds here in Denver and have always been happy. I see they are in OKC now. I think there is one by Baptist Hospital.

RadicalModerate
08-27-2014, 08:36 PM
if you keep your ears and eyes open, and hear/see something like this, you may be close to being on the right track...
7qHZkkgowdY

RadicalModerate
08-27-2014, 08:39 PM
I've gone to Floyds here in Denver and have always been happy. I see they are in OKC now. I think there is one by Baptist Hospital.

last time I was in NC visited a Floyd's location. some little town south of Raleigh, I think. just down the road from Mt. Pilate.

mugofbeer
08-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Funny lookin' old guy with a mustache

silvergrove
08-28-2014, 12:36 AM
When I read the thread title I thought you were looking for a mohel or a tailor.
Who would have thought you were referring to a barber?

Had to look up what a mohel is. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

shawnw
08-28-2014, 03:21 AM
Call Wheldon Jack on 36th/Western. Ask for LT. You're welcome.

As a bonus, let your facial hair grow out just before your appt and get a shave as well.

(not exactly cheap, but splurge this once, and see if you find it worth it)

Urbanized
08-28-2014, 07:32 AM
My hair grows so quickly and I get such a basic haircut that I go everywhere. However, the lady in the basement of the Bancfirst building does a great job and still uses a straight razor to trim your neck. She cuts a lot of the professionals (bankers, lawyers, judges. etc) downtown and according to her, she also cuts the Rainbolts' hair. Don't remember price but believe it was very reasonable.

Her name is Linda and her name is in the shop's name. Also in her shop is the barber I've gone to for 15 years, Jack Jenkins. Jack was on the 14th floor of FNC for years. He will also give you a hot foam straight razor shave, shoulder/scalp massage, and you can also get a shoe shine and a manicure while Jack or Linda are cutting your hair. I HIGHLY recommend Jack.

TexanOkie
08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Cleanest cut I've gotten since moving here three years ago is at Quail Plaza Barber Shop at Hefner and May. I get a standard business cut, and had previously gone to Lakeside, the SportClips at May & NW Expy (for a particular stylist who no longer works there), and Le (~ 23rd & Classen). Quail Plaza's about as plain a barber shop as can be, but they do good work and are inexpensive.

RadicalModerate
08-29-2014, 09:32 AM
It isn't often that a virtual conversation leads to an opportunity to reference Ray Stevens.
rGa9IvpooKI
Thanks.

I seldom pay attention to haircuts. Except when I feel I need one.
My sweet wife does an excellent job. Prior to the passing of one of our best friends, we both had our hair cuts there.
(She was an Angel of Italian heritage. Really good at cutting hair. And preaching the gospel with both actions and words.)

After she passed, I--no kidding--went to an old school barber who was almost next door to J&M's Tailor Shop.
Or at least in the same neighborhood.

Would mentioning Samson . . . (in addition to Moe, Larry and Curly) . . . violate some Barber Copyrite? =)
I was too young to remember the name of my mohel. He probably wasn't Jewish, just on-staff at some hospital in D.C. c. '52. =)

Mel
09-03-2014, 04:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPovmMwef8

RadicalModerate
09-06-2014, 10:29 AM
^click the Ray Stevens' audio, above (for musical background) =)

So . . . It wasn't exactly a haircut . . . It was a visit to the doctor so's I could get my blood pressure prescription refilled.
The assistant who took my weight and blood pressure admired the color of my nearly 62 year old hair.
And the stylin' thereof.
All I could say was . . . My wife cuts it.
Is she a hairstylist?
Nope. She's just good at cuttin' hair.
How did you lose all that weight? . . .
Eatin' right.
1200 calories?
Yup. 12K to 15K.
That ain't fair.
Really? Why not?
Don't work for me.
Sorry.
I really like your hair.
Used to be sort of a reddish brown auburn color. Went all gray back around thirty years ago.
My hair is really gray too.
Thanks for the 'scrip.

Urbanized
09-06-2014, 08:25 PM
That sure was some typing.

NWOKCGuy
09-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Chad Taber @ SalonW on Western.

Dennis Heaton
09-10-2014, 05:46 AM
Silvergrove...IF you find one, puhleeeeeeeze let me know (preferably in NW OKC).

Rivalyn
09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Silvergrove...IF you find one, puhleeeeeeeze let me know (preferably in NW OKC).

The Quail Plaza barber recommendation on the NE corner of May and Hefner, next to Old School Bagel Cafe is a good recommendation made earlier. Give them a vague idea or if you know you're terminology they're happy to fix you up. My initial request was for short but long enough to still comb. Now I use their super secret (not really) barber code for what I got last time each time I go in.

silvergrove
09-11-2014, 02:41 PM

I tried Shawnw's suggestion at Wheldon Jack. I was pleased with my haircut. It may be a bit on the pricier end though. Saw this thread earlier in the Oklahoma subreddit (which ironically links to this thread, so I'll continue the loop).

Best Barbers in OKC for Men? (NO SALONS) : oklahoma (http://www.reddit.com/r/oklahoma/comments/2fxpzn/best_barbers_in_okc_for_men_no_salons/)

shawnw
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I did warn of the pricey part...

Tylerwilliams16
10-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Could I recommend you to Gi Hair Salon in Del City??? I was referred to her by my 2 older brothers and I have never looked back. She has made my hair look fantastic and knows how I want it.

catcherinthewry
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
last time I was in NC visited a Floyd's location. some little town south of Raleigh, I think. just down the road from Mt. Pilate.

But watch out for the cops. The deputy there seems a little off.