View Full Version : Tents

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 10:48 AM
I've been researching tents. Long years ago I used to camp and backpack and the tent I used was a small, cheap dome that was super easy to erect and with several people camping, it quickly warmed up in cold weather. I think it cost about twenty five dollars (we had two) and we used those things for years in rain, snow, hot, wind (who knew Palo Dura was such a wind tunnel??) and cold. Eventually, they fell apart and I never replaced them because my lifestyle changed and we started staying in cabins.

I'm thinking I'd like to get back in it but would likely be doing more car camping than backpacking. The kids are grown and husband isn't a camper so it would likely be just me and one of my dogs. Because of that, I probably would want to stay closer to my car (although I used to like to find hidden spots back off a trail for security's sake). That means the tent can be a bit heavier. A two man tent would work but I think I want a four man tent in case Husband decides he wants to go and bring the other dogs.

I was thinking about a marmot - any thoughts? A friend is loaning me a Eureka Timberline for a camping trip in October if I don't get my own by then. He likes that one and I can try it out.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Nm

kelroy55
08-23-2014, 11:12 AM
I have some friends that have one of these and they seem to like it.... looks like it's on sqale too.

Coleman 2p Instant Pop Up Dome Tent: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-7-6-x-4-5-Pop-up-Tent-Sleeps-2/35737165)

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
I have some friends that have one of these and they seem to like it.... looks like it's on sqale too.

Coleman 2p Instant Pop Up Dome Tent: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-7-6-x-4-5-Pop-up-Tent-Sleeps-2/35737165)
My goodness! I didn't even know they had something like this! It got good reviews, didn't it? I will go look at the youtube. It might not work well with my dog and I wanted a heavier tent but this sends me in a while new direction in my research. Thanks!

kelroy55
08-23-2014, 11:51 AM
I still remember those big old canvas tents that took 4 people to put up lol.... Hope that will work for you.

kevinpate
08-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I camped a lot when the children were growing up via the GSUSA and BSA units and council events and some church youth trips.

We owned a variety of tents, some small domes, some larger domes, some were big nylon cabins with a lot of framework or freaking large domes with side extensions. Nearly all of our tents and bags were inexpensive (think Coleman last call outlet pricing or Sear's end of season clearance.) Our gear lasted for years and years even though it wasn't high end brand name gear. Some of it is still stored and would likely still be usable if I redeveloped a desire to sleep on or nearly on the ground.

If tenting on my own, my go-to was a simple 7x7 small dome. At 6'4 I could easily sleep on the diagonal and not be at all cramped, plenty of room for gear except food and the weight was near nothing. Had it been necessary I could have tented someone else with me. If the family was tenting together, we often put my lovely and I and the lads in a 12x12 cabin and our older daughter with a friend's daughter of the same age in a nearby dome.

I won't knock 150 and up tents, and some, though not many, of mine were in that range if not super clearanced, but absent hard core expeditions I never saw a need for high end gear for car or near car camping.

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks, Kevin. Having only camped in el cheapo tents, I lack the experience to compare.

kevinpate
08-23-2014, 07:12 PM
No worries. Just an fyi. I used to chuckle at the stated tent occupancy ratings. My 7x7 was considered a three person tent. I could, and at times did, put three 7 or 8 year olds kiddos in that tent, if I had somewhere else to keep their gear and to keep me. I wouldn't have considered sharing tent that size with two other adults except in a life/death conserve body heat situation. Whatever the info says on tent size, I would divide the number in half, and round down to the next whole number for grown ups. It was usually a far more realistic number for adult comfort in real life applications. Never took a pooch along. Might round up instead of down for a pooch, unless it were a great dane or meaty size dog like a lovable pit (a friend has one. Max is awesome.)

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
I was looking with interest at those tent cots but am not sure that would work well with a dog. I'd take my blind dog with me - she tends to stay close. Also it is good for her to be out doing "fun" things as she is still struggling with the loss of her sight and I don't want her to get depressed.

positano
08-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Look at Big Agnes.

kevinpate
08-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I generally just used a closed cell pad if I was in a tent, and some nights I would sleep in a camp chair, feet propped on a jacket on a picnic table bench, and a bandana over the face to minimize bug inhalation. My lovely and her GS co-leader were fond of coleman inflatable twin size mattresses when tenting, and long ago when it was just us we used a queen size inflatable. Sometimes we slept on it, other times we used it for lazy lake day trips.

The Coleman twin size roll up small, hold air well and the little battery pump always worked fine. We still use these here at the house years later whenever we have more folks back to visit than regular beds.

We were never big on folding cots. Every time we looked, they just seemed to require a lot of space and weight for what seemed very minimal benefit.

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Look at Big Agnes.

I'll do it - thanks.

mkjeeves
08-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Tents I own FWIW

15 or so year old Eureka 10 x 10 dome with a high enough center to stand up in that's held up pretty well over years of infrequent car camping when I needed a big tent. (I bought it when Jumbo Sports went out of business.) It would still be my goto tent if there were several of us or I wanted a lot of space in the tent for whatever reason, like a nice big double cot.

My current backpacking tent gets the most use. It's a Big Agnes Copper UL1, super lightweight, one person, good quality and expensive. They do make models for more people, but I'm not sure I'd personally spend the bucks on one for a car camping tent if I were just thinking about getting started going and not actively going. However, there is something to be said for having nice gear.

I have an older mid price range backpacking tent made by Walrus, now discontinued, 2 person, larger and heavier than my Big Agnes. I use it if I'm car camping alone. Also have lended it to beginning backpackers. Cascade Designs bought Walrus and MSR is now their tent line. Good company too. Probably still geared more towards the high end technical market than car camping but I haven't looked at their tent line in awhile.

And I have a couple of cheapo 7 x 7 domes of the discount or sporting good store variety that are more roomy than the backpacking tents if a couple of people are car camping for a night together or I just want more room for myself. They work good enough for using in sand when river camping, lakeside, or wherever I don't really want to trash out my good tent with stuff being tracked in. Both are pretty worn out at this point, I need to send them to the trash and get a new one. There is still a time and place for cheap stuff.

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Excellent. I appreciate the thoughts, people.

hipsterdoofus
08-25-2014, 09:13 PM
I had a guy mention this site - they sell "seconds" stuff that has been returned and repaired and such but is much cheaper. May be worth a look.:

Eureka Camping Center (http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/default.asp)

PennyQuilts
08-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Wanted to thank you for the idea. One of my biggest concerns was pitching the tent on my own and I didn't know about instant tents until you pointed them out (it's been awhile since I camped). After debating with myself about getting a tent cot, I decided to get a four man coleman instant tent. Price is fine (Kevin's take on price struck fertile ground), I can put my cot in there if I park near the car, and I can haul it a bit further with a sleeping bag if I just want to hike (unlikely - the tent is bulkier than I'd like for backpacking). This tent is big enough for my dog, cot and camp tent and if husband opts to join me, his cot would fit, too.

kelroy55
08-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Wanted to thank you for the idea. One of my biggest concerns was pitching the tent on my own and I didn't know about instant tents until you pointed them out (it's been awhile since I camped). After debating with myself about getting a tent cot, I decided to get a four man coleman instant tent. Price is fine (Kevin's take on price struck fertile ground), I can put my cot in there if I park near the car, and I can haul it a bit further with a sleeping bag if I just want to hike (unlikely - the tent is bulkier than I'd like for backpacking). This tent is big enough for my dog, cot and camp tent and if husband opts to join me, his cot would fit, too.

Good deal.... Happy Camping and you got me to thinking about getting back to do some camping again.

TaoMaas
08-29-2014, 06:23 AM
I don't know about the other tents suggested, but I can't speak highly enough about Eureka tents. They seem to be a good mixture of price, quality, and portability. I've had a 4-person Alpine Meadows which has weathered incredibly severe conditions over the last 20+ years. It's really too big to be a serious back-packing tent, but it's compact enough that I was able to use it to go car-camping in my Miata. lol Bathtub floors...full fly...sealed seams...what more could you want?

PennyQuilts
08-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Good deal.... Happy Camping and you got me to thinking about getting back to do some camping again.

Do it! I like the idea of good folk out and about camping, especially if I'm out on my own. Avoid the lake and it's usually pretty family friendly.

PennyQuilts
08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
I don't know about the other tents suggested, but I can't speak highly enough about Eureka tents. They seem to be a good mixture of price, quality, and portability. I've had a 4-person Alpine Meadows which has weathered incredibly severe conditions over the last 20+ years. It's really too big to be a serious back-packing tent, but it's compact enough that I was able to use it to go car-camping in my Miata. lol Bathtub floors...full fly...sealed seams...what more could you want?

Tao, that looked like a good tent. I decided to go with the dome due to the instant setup and room for my cot. If I didn't already have the cot, I might have gone with this style. A friend of mine who is a rather serious camper uses this tent and is very pleased.

kelroy55
08-29-2014, 10:05 AM
Do it! I like the idea of good folk out and about camping, especially if I'm out on my own. Avoid the lake and it's usually pretty family friendly.

I used to have a pop up camper and would like to get another one, but they are hard to hike with lol

PennyQuilts
08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I always thought the pop up campers were brilliant. I have a friend with a couple but they are switching to an RV as are two other friends. I wouldn't want to drive them.

kelroy55
08-29-2014, 03:58 PM
PQ... I found a tent for you

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/p526x296/10310520_945638992119571_7821228047702519352_n.jpg

kevinpate
08-29-2014, 04:07 PM
never been glamping. I hear some setups rival 3+ star hotels.

examples at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=luxury+glamping&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=x_kAVNyvKoOo8QHdqIDoBQ&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=741&dpr=0.9

RadicalModerate
08-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Ref to OP (#1)
My suffering has never been in tents.
Therefore I don't research them.

Quilted sleeping bags capable of helping ascend
The North Face of the Eiger, on the other hand . . .
especially the light-weight ones . . .

and some really effective mosquito protection might not be bad . . . =)
as long as it's organic.

OKCRT
08-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Everyone should tent camp at least a few times in their lifetime. Have some great memories while tent camping. Funny because when we tent camping years ago we always wanted a camper or rv but couldn't afford one back then. Now that we have had an rv (sold it) we are looking at tent camping. Just something about camping in a tent feels right,as long as it's not for more than a couple nights.:)

kelroy55
08-29-2014, 06:50 PM
never been glamping. I hear some setups rival 3+ star hotels.

examples at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=luxury+glamping&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=x_kAVNyvKoOo8QHdqIDoBQ&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=741&dpr=0.9

I could live in some of those

PennyQuilts
08-29-2014, 08:05 PM
That looks like something out of a harem!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-31-2014, 06:08 AM
I know you've already found your tent PennyQuilts, but in case anybody else is looking through here and happens to have a truck...

I had no idea these existed, but once pointed out, I bought one (and an air mattress) that day. I've used it many, many times. Keeps me off the ground, off the rocks, off the bugs, etc.

After "camping" as a Marine for years, this was like luxo-camping to me :D

*not my truck*
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/imawingnut/DSC_0033_zps42ff3b52.jpg

PennyQuilts
08-31-2014, 01:28 PM
That's it! I saw tents like that! Amazing! If I had a pickup, I would have considered it.

RadicalModerate
08-31-2014, 03:33 PM
I decided a long time ago that until they get one of those tents like in that old Bugs Bunny cartoon I'm holding out for a Yurt.
Yurt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-01-2014, 07:37 AM
That's it! I saw tents like that! Amazing! If I had a pickup, I would have considered it.

I loved LOVED it when I was still riding off-road stuff.

I could go ride all day, have some beers around a campfire, and instead of driving home for an hour or more after a couple of beers...I could have many more beers and just climb in the back of the truck and sleep it off. :D

But that was when I could still ride, and was single (if I pulled an unexpected all-nighter these days...I'd have many more nights in a tent in my future :D ).

PennyQuilts
09-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Pretty darn happy with my new tent. Easiest thing, ever, to pitch. Big enough for my cot, the dog if I want, three sides have mesh windows (as does the door ) and there is a vent on top. Took me about 3 minutes, start to finish (not counting pounding stakes) to put it up and I was going at a leisurely pace and had never done it, before.

Crap. Photo is sideways. Use your imagination.

kevinpate
09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Excellent

Mel
09-07-2014, 09:19 PM
A nice Hotel room is about all I can handle for camping anymore.

PennyQuilts
09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
A nice Hotel room is about all I can handle for camping anymore.

Mel, I hear you but sometimes it is nice to get away and I love waking to birdsong and a sunrise. :)

trousers
09-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Have you tried taking it down yet? I've heard some popups can be a pain to bring back down.

Mel
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Mel, I hear you but sometimes it is nice to get away and I love waking to birdsong and a sunrise. :)

Here you go Penny. :D

SunRise Alarm Clock by Northern Light Technologies (http://www.mtsmedicalsupply.com/SunRise-Alarm-Clock/738/NLT-SRC/?affid=7&gclid=CjwKEAjwp7WgBRCRxMCLx8mMnDMSJADncxS2uwdQ1K9z t5R-Bbg6ie6fztng0OSFHqeqAjTmz5vHqBoC4cPw_wcB)

http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Earth-Morning-Birds/dp/B00000JPW7

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
lol

PennyQuilts
09-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Haha.

And, yes, I took it down, yesterday in a good wind. I didn't think it through as well as I should have and between the wind and the puffiness, it was a bit of a chore. That being said, it folded up and easily went back into the carry sleeve. Next time, I'll be more methodical and I think it will be easier.

trousers
09-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Haha.

And, yes, I took it down, yesterday in a good wind. I didn't think it through as well as I should have and between the wind and the puffiness, it was a bit of a chore. That being said, it folded up and easily went back into the carry sleeve. Next time, I'll be more methodical and I think it will be easier.

Well crap. I was going to go by a cheapo disposa-tent. Now you may have sold me on this one.

I'm planning (hoping at least) on doing quite a bit of camping this fall. Has anyone done any tent camping at Arrowhead or Eufaula recently?