View Full Version : Help tracing a car tag.

Zuplar
08-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Couple of hours ago I was just involved in a hit and run, minor, but still I'm pissed. Already had a buddy look and it will be less than my deductible and insurance and police refuse to assist in finding out who this is. Is there any way I can trace the tag?

Bullbear
08-21-2014, 03:01 PM
The police didn't do a report with the tag?.

Zuplar
08-21-2014, 03:03 PM
They told me it wasn't an accident and I needed to call the insurance, insurance says sure we'll take care of it, but get an estimate. Well I took it by my friends body shop and since it was just the front fender it's going to cost $350 to $500. So I guess I need to suck it up and take it on the lip from this low life fat piece of you know what?

Bullbear
08-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Sorry bud.. we have had our car hit in front of the house and the guy took over.. wasn't able to get tag as it was middle of the night. .it was Thousands in damage and car in shop for a few weeks.. its sucks but it could be worse.. sucks the Police don't see it as an accident.

Zuplar
08-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I just don't know what is wrong with people. When I confronted him he had the audacity to tell me he didn't do anything and that it was already there. My truck is literally just now a year old. What a frustrating way to end an already terrible day.

Plutonic Panda
08-21-2014, 03:13 PM
f*ck people man. Douchebags that have no morals and self-respect. Sorry to hear about :/

Zuplar
08-21-2014, 03:23 PM
f*ck people man. Douchebags that have no morals and self-respect. Sorry to hear about :/

Pretty much my exact sentiments. I wouldn't say I believe in karma, but if some kid threw a brick through his window, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Urbanized
08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm not saying I would do this but...

Go to a nearby car dealership
Ask to use the phone (the dealership's number will show on caller ID)
Call the nearest (and I do mean physically nearest) tag agency
Say "hey, this is Zuplar over at So and So Chevy..." (you're not lying)
continue "...and I have a trade-in that's been sitting out here all week that I can't match up to a deal...can you help me?" OK, maybe you're lying a little bit at this point
After they agree to help, give them the tag number and description
Write down the name and address of the car's registered owner after they look it up in the database and freely give it to you...

You're welcome in advance.

Mel
08-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Or have a cop as a good friend or relative.

PennyQuilts
08-21-2014, 06:35 PM
I just don't know what is wrong with people. When I confronted him he had the audacity to tell me he didn't do anything and that it was already there. My truck is literally just now a year old. What a frustrating way to end an already terrible day.

I'm sorry you are having such a crappy day. :(. Did you look at the guy's car to see if it had paint on it? I guess you didn't get this guy's insurance info for insurance purposes?

Zuplar
08-21-2014, 08:08 PM
I asked for it, got told to eff off he didn't do it. Unfortunately his and my truck are white. Maybe that is a silver lining here. I don't know I've been running out in the yard with my dog trying to burn off this anger lol.

You guys sure are great to vent to. I really appreciate the comments.

PennyQuilts
08-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I asked for it, got told to eff off he didn't do it. Unfortunately his and my truck are white. Maybe that is a silver lining here. I don't know I've been running out in the yard with my dog trying to burn off this anger lol.

You guys sure are great to vent to. I really appreciate the comments.

Smart to run off some well justified fury. Dogs (and hot showers) make everything better, at least short term. The guy sure sounds like a jerk.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Pay $10 and do it legally and without lying.

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Confidentiality Information (http://www.tax.ok.gov/mv10.html)

Plutonic Panda
08-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Confidentiality Information (http://www.tax.ok.gov/mv10.html)
the vehicle information may be released for a fee ranging from $1.00 to $10.00

cool. didnt know about that

Jim Kyle
08-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Confidentiality Information (http://www.tax.ok.gov/mv10.html)I see that they require either the VIN or the decal number on the tag. Apparently the tag number itself is not adequate! Anybody know whether this is indeed the case? If so, then license numbers are not much use any more...

I don't have current need to know, but this is the sort of trivia that I collect "just in case" ... and the OP may well have current need.

Martin
08-22-2014, 06:44 AM
I see that they require either the VIN or the decal number on the tag. Apparently the tag number itself is not adequate! Anybody know whether this is indeed the case? If so, then license numbers are not much use any more...

the form's instructions say that at least one of those items is required, so just the tag number should be ok. -M

mkjeeves
08-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Investigating the problem yourself isn't listed as a valid reason. Your insurance company investigating a claim is. Give them the form and tell them to do it. I've had to do this myself.

gopokes88
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Did you by chance get his name? If you did PM me I can help.

Zuplar
08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
No didn't get his name, just some choice non-PG words. At this point I'm going to file that form or just take care of it myself. I have a buddy who owns a shop and will hopefully give me a good deal based on the circumstances.

PennyQuilts
08-23-2014, 09:03 AM
No didn't get his name, just some choice non-PG words. At this point I'm going to file that form or just take care of it myself. I have a buddy who owns a shop and will hopefully give me a good deal based on the circumstances.
Good luck.

Reminds me of a time my first husband was driving in Bethany and an old man pulled right into his lane, sideswiping our car. The old man got a ticket but begged my husband to not turn it into his insurance claim because they would take away his driving privileges. He said he would pay for the damages if we got an estimate. I would not be so nice, but he was. Plus, it was years ago and we were all a bit more trusting, especially of nice old men. Long story short, the man claimed he didn't have his insurance papers on him and promised to call when he got home to give us the information. He didn't. We called with the estimate and he blew us off. Husband went to the courthouse to try to file something but the old man had already gone in and was apparently good buddies with the judge. He'd had the ticket thrown out with no notice to us. Seriously.

We were young, couldn't afford an attorney and didn't know how to fix it. I still get mad. The man was well off, based on the car he drove, the clothes he wore and the company he kept (a judge). We were poor as church mice with two toddlers and an infant but he was too cheap to do the right thing. SOB.

There's your frickin' greatest generation... (at least that is what I thought at the time).

rezman
08-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hit and run a felony, or is that only when personal injury is involved?. The police should have filed a report. You have the right to demand one. And they should provide one. That is their job. You didn't say what agency you're dealing with, but I know from experience that OCPD will take a report over the phone, and get it on file for you.

Jim Kyle
08-23-2014, 11:09 AM
I believe it's a felony only when injury is involved, and police often refuse to investigate if there's no injury (at least in OKC; don't know about other jurisdictions).

kevinpate
08-23-2014, 12:25 PM
47 OS 10-103
The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible but shall forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of such accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of Section 47-10-104 of this title. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary. Any person failing to stop or comply with said requirements under such circumstances shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine not to exceed Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one (1) year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In addition to the criminal penalties imposed by this section, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be subject to liability for damages in an amount equal to three times the value of the damage caused by the accident. Said damages shall be recoverable in a civil action. Nothing in this section shall prevent a judge from ordering restitution for any damage caused by a driver involved in an accident provided for in this section.

47 OS 10-104
A. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person or damage to any vehicle which is driven or attended by any person shall give his correct name, address and registration number of the vehicle he is driving, and shall upon request exhibit his driver license and his security verification form, as defined in Section 7-600 of this title, to the person struck or the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle collided with, and shall render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or the making of arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such carrying is requested by the injured person. Any driver who provides information required by this section which is intentionally inaccurate shall be subject to the provisions of Section 10-103 of this title.
B. Any driver of any vehicle involved in an accident who could be cited for any traffic offense where said accident resulted in the immediate death or great bodily injury, as defined in subsection B of Section 646 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes, of any person shall submit to drug and alcohol testing as soon as practicable after such accident occurs. The traffic offense violation shall constitute probable cause for purposes of Section 752 of this title and the procedures found in Section 752 of this title shall be followed to determine the presence of alcohol or controlled dangerous substances within the driver's blood system.

rezman
08-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks kevinpate. That clears things up. So according to this statute, and based on the complaint the police should file a report and investigate the alleged offending driver.

Zuplar, did this happen on the street, or in a private parking lot?.

BBatesokc
08-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Couple of hours ago I was just involved in a hit and run, minor, but still I'm pissed. Already had a buddy look and it will be less than my deductible and insurance and police refuse to assist in finding out who this is. Is there any way I can trace the tag?

If you go to a tag agency many will let run the registration under check box number 4, which you would qualify under. The agency I run my tags at charges me $2. Don't go to the DMV as they are total asses.

Funny thing is, this exact scenario is what happened that led to law enforcement beating the crap out of a deaf driver. Minor accident with zero damage. Deaf driver kept driving, LE pursued after being called and beat the tar out of the driver (who happens to be the father of an Edmond police officer).

BBatesokc
08-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Sorry, iPad is screwing up and double, triple posting.

BBatesokc
08-23-2014, 02:46 PM
No idea why my iPad double posted.

BBatesokc
08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm not saying I would do this but...

Go to a nearby car dealership
Ask to use the phone (the dealership's number will show on caller ID)
Call the nearest (and I do mean physically nearest) tag agency
Say "hey, this is Zuplar over at So and So Chevy..." (you're not lying)
continue "...and I have a trade-in that's been sitting out here all week that I can't match up to a deal...can you help me?" OK, maybe you're lying a little bit at this point
After they agree to help, give them the tag number and description
Write down the name and address of the car's registered owner after they look it up in the database and freely give it to you...

You're welcome in advance.

Do NOT do that under any circumstance. There is actually a few different laws prosecutors can claim you are breaking and one is some sort of felony computer crime. Not to mention obtaining the information under false pretense and the crimes related to the fact the dealership gets charged for those registration inquiries.

How do I know this? Not that long ago OCPD was actually trying to have me charged with felony crimes related to running car tags. Fortunately FOX25's Phil Cross was doing the story and asked police how they planned to prosecute me because from what he understood, the way I was doing it was in fact legal. After they were shown how I was doing it and the law they dropped it.

Zuplar
08-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hit and run a felony, or is that only when personal injury is involved?. The police should have filed a report. You have the right to demand one. And they should provide one. That is their job. You didn't say what agency you're dealing with, but I know from experience that OCPD will take a report over the phone, and get it on file for you.

It was OCPD.

Thanks kevinpate. That clears things up. So according to this statute, and based on the complaint the police should file a report and investigate the alleged offending driver.

Zuplar, did this happen on the street, or in a private parking lot?.

This was in a parking lot, so I'm assuming it is private.

zcamaro70
08-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Curious....was this accident caused by the other driver opening his/her door into your car?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Bump for update...Did the form work?

I'm asking for a friend :D