View Full Version : Visiting Angel

ctchandler
08-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I believe a lot of you know that I have experienced a medical emergency in the last couple of months. I had a cardiac arrest which in a nutshell means my heart stopped beating and I quit breathing. With some excellent attention by the Mercy ER staff, I am able to continue running my mouth on OKCtalk. But I wanted to mention my friend Chris Cullen from London (actually, Carshalton, a suburb of London). She is a widow and I am a widower and we met on an internet support group for folks that have lost significant others. We have travelled extensively both here and in Europe until my COPD was diagnosed. When I was able, I asked my boys to let her know that I was sick and in the hospital, but I didn't want her to know the extent of my illness. She's a retired teacher/head teacher (principal in America) and didn't fall for what my boys told her, so she immediately bought a plane ticket and arrived in time to take me home after eight days in the hospital. She bathed me, dressed me, fed me and did all the things a nurse or a spouse would do. She also did the shopping, driving on the "right side" of the road to insure we had food (and beer) until I was able to ride with her. She was here for ten weeks and I absolutely wouldn't have survived without her. Today, sadly, I took her to Will Rogers Airport so she could return home and begin planning for her middle son's wedding. She will come back, but nothing will ever match the last ten weeks. This is "Open Topic" and I am using it to just unload about my "Visiting Angel".
C. T.

kevinpate
08-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Everyone needs a friend like that CT.

boscorama
08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
CT, I knew none of that. She obviously took good care of you and for that I am thankful.

rezman
08-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Wow C.T., Sounds like one heck of a lady, and you're one lucky man. Next time you talk to her, say hello for all of us here. God bless you both.

ksearls
08-18-2014, 08:21 PM
What a wonderful story. It amazes me that the www has the ability to bring people together like never before. I hope she comes back soon. Your ten weeks sound like a beautiful gift, you are a lucky guy.

Ginkasa
08-18-2014, 10:13 PM
That's amazing.

Mel
08-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Sweet story ctc.

Prunepicker
08-19-2014, 01:58 AM
But I wanted to mention my friend Chris Cullen from London (actually,
Carshalton, a suburb of London). She is a widow and I am a widower and we
met on an internet support group for folks that have lost significant others.
We have travelled extensively both here and in Europe until my COPD was
diagnosed. When I was able, I asked my boys to let her know that I was sick
and in the hospital, but I didn't want her to know the extent of my illness. She's
a retired teacher/head teacher (principal in America) and didn't fall for what
my boys told her, so she immediately bought a plane ticket and arrived in
time to take me home after eight days in the hospital. She bathed me,
dressed me, fed me and did all the things a nurse or a spouse would do.
She also did the shopping, driving on the "right side" of the road to insure
we had food (and beer) until I was able to ride with her. She was here for
ten weeks and I absolutely wouldn't have survived without her. Today, sadly,
I took her to Will Rogers Airport so she could return home and begin
planning for her middle son's wedding. She will come back, but nothing will
ever match the last ten weeks. This is "Open Topic" and I am using it to just
unload about my "Visiting Angel".
C. T.
I've met her and she's a super woman. I hope you and she can spend more
time together real soon.

Best to you.

Prunie

Prunepicker
08-19-2014, 02:07 AM
CT, I knew none of that. She obviously took good care of you and for that
I am thankful.
Believe me, CT is a very lucky man to have a gorgeous babe, and she's a
very lovely woman, taking care of him. She talks funny and everything. I
thought she was either from Ft. Smith or Fayetteville, AR. She put me in
my place without hesitation.

Hey, CT is a great guy and she's lucky to have him as a friend. I hope we
can have 'Fish n Chips' at that Catfish joint on I-35. Maybe we can make
an OKC Talk party out of it.

I honestly hope they can get back together very soon.

Did I mention that CT is a great guy? Well he is and he knows good
music, too. Believe me. He's been to Ingrid's Kitchen several times.

Later,
Prunie

ctchandler
08-19-2014, 07:00 PM
I appreciate the comments and I am going to cut/past all of them and send them "across the pond". I'm not sure how I was so lucky, my late wife was a dream and now Chris is as well.
Thanks friends,
C. T.

bluedogok
08-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Always a nice thing to have those kind of people in your life. My wife did a lot of that stuff with my medical issues in January, would have been very hard without that support.

MadMonk
08-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Wow, that's an amazing, heartwarming story. What a great friend you have there, CT.

zookeeper
08-19-2014, 10:17 PM
That's great C.T. that things went so well and you have Chris in your life. What a great, great friend. I'm sure your late wife would be pleased to know that somebody has been there for you. That's really an understatement, she DOES sound like an angel.

Urbanized
08-20-2014, 06:51 AM
CT, I only met your wife a couple of times but I recall her being very sweet and kind. How fortunate that you've found another sweet and kind person to help you through that time. I'm sure your boys appreciate her too.

Prunepicker
08-21-2014, 11:27 PM
I appreciate the comments and I am going to cut/past all of them and send
them "across the pond". I'm not sure how I was so lucky, my late wife was
a dream and now Chris is as well.
Thanks friends,
C. T.
Across the pond? I thought she was from back east, like Arkansas. I never
thought she was on the other side of Texoma.

Live and learn.

Prunie.

ctchandler
10-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Well, my visiting angel has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Today, they performed a lumpectomy and things seem to be going well even though I haven't been able to talk to her. I think what I hate the most is that she came here to take care of me and I can't reciprocate. I did go to London when she had surgery in the late winter of 2012 but now my health won't allow me to travel. I lost my wife to breast cancer, metastasized to the liver on October 6th 2005, so this has really been difficult, not only the same disease, but the same time frame. Dianna (my late wife) was diagnosed in October, 2001. Now what I need is a little cheese to go along with my "whine". This is a great place to "dump" and believe me, that's what I am doing. No replies necessary, I'm just glad to have a venue to whine.
C. T.

Achilleslastand
10-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Prayers inbound for you as well as your angel.

PennyQuilts
10-20-2014, 08:03 PM
My goodness, that's so hard and I am sorry for both of you. Here's hoping that they got it all. Will she have to have further treatment? I will keep both of you in my prayers.

ctchandler
10-20-2014, 08:27 PM
My goodness, that's so hard and I am sorry for both of you. Here's hoping that they got it all. Will she have to have further treatment? I will keep both of you in my prayers.

Yes, she will have what they call "radio therapy" which is a coverup (in my opinion) for radiation. No chemo is necessary.
Thanks,
C. T.

Jeepnokc
10-21-2014, 05:44 AM
CT,

My prayers are with you and your visiting angel. Feel free to dump here anytime.

Jeep

kelroy55
10-21-2014, 06:43 AM
My thoughts and prayers are out for both of you.

ctchandler
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
My friend Chris, had a successful surgery, she had some pain (normal of course), but also experienced some nausea which is not normal. I talked to her today and she is doing very well. Her friend will stay till Thursday and she has been an angel because she won't let Chris do anything. She is an old friend and has is spending every day and night at Chris' home.
Thanks for allowing me to vent.
C. T.

MadMonk
10-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Well, you may not be able to visit her personally, but you can mobilize resources here! Give us an address where we can send get-well cards. I think she'd be shocked to get a bunch of get-well cards from random American's calling themselves "A friend of CT Chander". :D

Though it may not be a great idea to post her info online. Perhaps respond via PM to anyone interested in sending a card?

ctchandler
10-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Well, you may not be able to visit her personally, but you can mobilize resources here! Give us an address where we can send get-well cards. I think she'd be shocked to get a bunch of get-well cards from random American's calling themselves "A friend of CT Chander". :D

Though it may not be a great idea to post her info online. Perhaps respond via PM to anyone interested in sending a card?

MadMonk,
Thanks, I pm'd you and very much appreciate your kind remarks/thoughts. It will blow her mind to receive something from this side of the pond. I sent her a very nice bouquet and she was absolutely shocked. I guess she is not used to receiving flowers from anybody.
Thanks,
C. T.

bluedogok
10-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Best wishes for a good recovery for you both.

kevinpate
10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Prayers and hope for your friend CT, and for you as well.

Do take care of you. Often we forget to do that.

MadMonk
10-21-2014, 09:17 PM
MadMonk,
Thanks, I pm'd you and very much appreciate your kind remarks/thoughts. It will blow her mind to receive something from this side of the pond. I sent her a very nice bouquet and she was absolutely shocked. I guess she is not used to receiving flowers from anybody.
Thanks,
C. T.

It's my pleasure, C.T. I'll have something out in the mail tomorrow. I hope you get lots of people asking for her info. It would be fun if we could overwhelm her with well-wishes. ;)

ctchandler
11-23-2014, 10:25 PM
My visiting angel underwent another precautionary surgery last Friday (November 14th) and the results were positive, nothing to worry about at all. After her son's wedding, she will start "radio therapy" as they call it across the pond. She's looking forward to completing the radiation and coming to OKC in the early part of the year.
Thanks for allowing me to use this group/site to unload.
C. T.

ctchandler
03-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Hey friends,
She is back! She arrived last Monday, March 2nd and is staying for seven weeks. She's doing well and in very good spirits.
C. T.

Jeepnokc
03-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Hey friends,
She is back! She arrived last Monday, March 2nd and is staying for seven weeks. She's doing well and in very good spirits.
C. T.

It won't let us like more than once but I am so happy for you and her that she is back. Going to be a great 7 weeks!

Mel
03-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Have fun ctc and we'll see ya in about 7 weeks. ;)